August Eclectic Homeschoolers! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 134 Old 08-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post

So, I do hope we eclectic folks can support each other and communicate. I hope we get our own forum. .
I COMPLETELY disagree with you about the individual forum idea. I don't think that is necessary as long as people are respectful of different perspectives, and I think that the us vs them thing is completely unnecessary. I think that all of us have a lot to offer every homeschooler regardless of how they self-identify. Unfortunately there are a few people who resort to sarcasm and snark when they can't understand where someone else is coming from - rather than taking what they can use and letting the rest go.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 134 Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
I COMPLETELY disagree with you about the individual forum idea.
ino.
That's ok.

So, what are other elclectic hsers up to?
#63 of 134 Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'm itching to go buy a whole bunch of school supplies at Staples. : I love back-to-school shopping ... the backpacks, the lunchboxes, the pencils and paper, even the clothes and shoes. BUT, I'm refraining except for bare necessities (which are mostly dh's as he teaches and needs red pen and white board markers). We already have tons of crayola crayons, really nice Stockmar ones, really nice colored pencils, tons of paper ... what more do we need.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#64 of 134 Old 08-07-2007, 07:01 PM

I was thinking of getting a chalkboard/ wipe board to use for letters and numbers so we don't have to go through so much paper (save it for the art projects instead... )

Does anyone else use one?
#65 of 134 Old 08-07-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
I was thinking of getting a chalkboard/ wipe board to use for letters and numbers so we don't have to go through so much paper (save it for the art projects instead... )

That sounds like a cool idea. We have started using the main lesson book idea because of OM - basically they are about 9" x 12" of blank paper bound. A sketch book with about 20-30 sheets would work too. The idea is to use a new one each season. I like doing this because I will have a reminder of their growth over the years. But, I also would love to put up a chalkboard or white board for daily practice, shared writing activities, to-do lists for reading practice, etc. It would be really cool to have the space and means to get one of the ones that are on the stand that flip-over - one side as a chalk board and one side as a white board.

#66 of 134 Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 PM

We have a chalkboard/easel that gets a ton of use. I think it's worth the initial investment of something like it, or a big blackboard, or a wall painted with chalkboard paint. We use ours to send messages, annouce b'days or special occasions, post menus, leave notes, or quote something. Chalkboards are fun.
#67 of 134 Old 08-07-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
what age did most of you guys start preschool activitys?
I didn't do preschool or Kinder at all with my now 6 yr old. My 3 yr old is just along for the ride and likes to copy what his brother does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I'm itching to go buy a whole bunch of school supplies at Staples. : I love back-to-school shopping
Same here. I would like to buy a backpack for DS to take to co-op. However, I was : at all the backpacks in the store. When did they become so complicated? I just want a nice simple pack. I do not need anything with bungee cord wrapped all around it, a compartment for an ipod, 50 pockets on the outside, 20 pockets/comparments inside, side compartments of mesh, etc. I'm thinking DS will just use one of my tote bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post

We have one. It's the easel type chalk/wipe board. I like it. Right now it's buried under a pile of stuff as we are finishing the room.
#68 of 134 Old 08-07-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I'm itching to go buy a whole bunch of school supplies at Staples. : I love back-to-school shopping ... the backpacks, the lunchboxes, the pencils and paper, even the clothes and shoes. BUT, I'm refraining except for bare necessities (which are mostly dh's as he teaches and needs red pen and white board markers). We already have tons of crayola crayons, really nice Stockmar ones, really nice colored pencils, tons of paper ... what more do we need.

Oooh, I loved the back-to-school sales even when I didn't have a kid, and wasn't in school Years ago I took a creative writing class in college, and we had an afternoon assignment to go to a nearby mall and observe passersby. The creative writing prof, who knew writers, stationed herself in front of the office supply store to keep us from browsing for pens and new notebooks instead of the assignment

Ds has started playing football this year, and it's quite a time commitment for us, so we're not really doing a whole lot of schooling right now, mostly I want to make sure ds does math regularily (he's had so many problems learning the basics, and can't really take breaks or he forgets everything again) and reading and read alouds. Ds has spent the last few days reading a book on ham radio operating, and I'm reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea aloud to him. I was quite funny, today's chapter, the narrator speculated on wether humans know about all the species of fish and cetaceans in existence. Since the book was published in 1869, there was a whole lot of species and whole ecosystems that weren't even imagined at the time, we spent some time listing the discoveries since Verne's time.

I'm spending this month doing some planning and trying to figure out a schedule and routine that will work for both ds and I. Between my crazy work hours and ds's activities, I know that if I don't have some pretty firm plans in place, we'll wind up not doing anything we want to do. For September, instead of the nature month I had planned, we're going to take the time to clean and sort out our apartment, set up some useful work areas, and have ds figure out his goals for the year, and what topics he would like to study, especially in science.
#69 of 134 Old 08-07-2007, 11:38 PM

MLW, your opening post was fantastic!! This sounds like where we're heading. My daughter is 4.5 yrs (5 in Dec.) and is super keen on the idea of anything remotely school-ish. My son is 27 mos and happy to get into anything his big sister is doing!

We're looking at:
-implementing a stronger daily rhythm (inspired by Enki/Waldorf)
-probably some of the stories, movement and/or crafts from Enki
-Story of the World for history (probably could hold off on this for another year at least, but I'm keen!)
-Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (my daughter has been begging me to help her read independently!)
-Draw Write Now for drawing, writing and reading practice (she LOVES this!)
-daily Yoga practice through story
-ASL using Signing Times DVDs and online/print dictionaries
-something for French - I tried Muzzy and decided to return it
-something for Science - possibly just piecing together from Mudpies to Magnets and similar
-something for math

That looks like a whole lot all written out, but it really doesn't seem to take up that much time! She just eats through anything I put in front of her and sits hungry for more! This week I planned a butterfly theme and she blew through a week's worth of activity sheets in about a half hour.

I'm going to a curriculum fair next week so I'm sure I'll come across dozens of other things I think we might want to do. That just might be the highlight of my summer!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#70 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 01:12 AM

I need to get us another chalk board, I threw way too much stuff away when we had to move twice in 10 months.

I have been itching to do the back to school sales too, to get a lot of new art supplies and all that. I love art supplies And bottles of glue. And glue sticks. Seems like we can go through a dozen glue sticks every couple of days. I have been on a supply rampage lately for cd-roms, games, books on tape, etc. too.
#71 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Ooo ... glue sticks reminds me I do want to hunt down a couple bottles of rubber cement. I think I like the way things go in their main lesson books when backed in rubber cement rather than Elmer's.

#72 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ooooh, oooooh, look what I found:
http://www.dltk-teach.com/alphabuddies/letter-a.html

Yippeeeeeee..... now I have more stuff to do and it is all fun stuff for my 3 year old to do as well (he doesn't want to be left out). Ok, I am feeling so much better now!

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#73 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 AM

I would like to jump in on this thread. We have been unschooling and I am really feeling like we need more. DS(9) talks about wanting to go to school at some point and he would be so far behind. He is very bright, but his writing, reading, spelling, you know the basics are all falling to the wayside. I bet I am not getting something right with unschooling.

But, that is why I am here, ecelctic is a label I would feel more comfortable applying to us. Adding some structure and getting some stuff happening around here.

Heck, I am evening checking into putting DD into preschool a few mornings a week. I think it could be good for all of us right now.

So, I am so out of the loop of looking for or at curriculum stuff. Can anyone point me toward some good secular resources?

Thanks!

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#74 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfath View Post
So, I am so out of the loop of looking for or at curriculum stuff. Can anyone point me toward some good secular resources?

Thanks!

What kind of curriculum are you looking for? I have a 9 y/o son and here's a list of some of the materials we use.
Our family uses some 'unschooly' curriculum for the basics - Bravewriter for writing/reading and living math as a supplement to math. You could start there. For math we also use Challenge Math, Singapore and Miquon (for the younger ones)

For science we do an 'experiment' co-op with friends using Real Science 4 Kids as the spine and lots of Janice VanCleave for activities.
For History this year we will use Story of the World - not really secular - but we'll make it work by supplementing with things like Horrible Histories .
hth
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#75 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 AM

Does Story of the World have a big religious slant to it?

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#76 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 01:06 PM

The first volume does to some degree. It tends to identify all but Christian stories as myths and so it reads as though the Christian stories (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dream coat for example) as history/fact. I have heard that this has been clarified in the newer edition but I haven't seen it myself so I can't say for sure. It definitely has a Christian flavour to it but given the period and the locations it covers any history book would need to touch on some of this. It's pretty easy to work around and supplement. We approach it as this is just one version of the story and look to non-fiction resources to provide other views.
hth
Karen

#77 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 PM

We are reading through SOTW 1 (Ancients) and I just treat the christian stories as every other myth/story, so it is not a big deal at all for us. The kids really like the stories.
#78 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 01:51 PM

We're definitely eclectic. We unschool somewhat, especially up to this point. But ds1 is really interested in learning to read, he keeps reading the letters on things and saying "that spells..." and waiting for me to fill in the blank or doing it himself. He'll be 4 this fall so we're starting kindergarten (he knows most preschool stuff already, what he doesn't, we'll add). I've ordered Explode the Code for writing and I'm getting Singapore Math. I love the classical idea, especially WTM, but really don't have the gumption to stick to the program. So, we'll be doing history in order but that's about it. There are just too many fabulous books to not read them until that time period comes around. I haven't yet decided on what we'll do for science, I've got a few books with experiments in them but I'd really like to order a package that has the materials. We'll also be doing more with the computer this fall as soon as we get them their own computer. I have a million computer programs for them, including Rosetta Stone and some of the Muzzy disks. So, this will be our first year with more "structure". I'm going to keep the actual teaching time down to about 2 hours a day for ds1. Ds2 will only be 3 this winter so he'll get about 1 hour a day. I would keep him on the same semi-unschooling thing that we've been doing but he will want to do what his brother is doing.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#79 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2kbeth View Post
We are reading through SOTW 1 (Ancients) and I just treat the christian stories as every other myth/story, so it is not a big deal at all for us. The kids really like the stories.
We haven't started SOTW yet but I'll be using it with History Odyssey. That's what I do with all Christian stories my kids hear. I just explain that they are the myths/stories of that particular religion just as other religions have their own stories.
#80 of 134 Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfath View Post

Thanks!
This will be my first year officially homeschooling. We "unschooled" for Kinder and younger. I've been doing a lot of asking about curriculum. If you look at my previous posts you'll find the threads and find a lot of info.

Here's what my game plan is right now...(please note that I reserve the right to change anything at any given time )

History: History Odyssey which includes Story of the World. If you look on pandiapress.com you'll see they have a kit put together for resources/supplies. I printed it out and I've been buying the stuff from different places where ever I can find it cheapest.

Math: Decided to try Right Start

Science: I will skip buying a curriculum right now as we will be taking two science classes at co-op.

Reading/Literature: I'm putting together a reading list using ideas from ambleside and tanglewood and using the books from the library and buying the books my libraries don't have.

Art: He takes art class at co-op

Music: He takes piano lessons

Geography: For now I will be using free lesson plans from National Geographic and the free printable maps. I might purchase Uncle Josh's Outline Maps CD-Rom.
#81 of 134 Old 08-09-2007, 12:13 AM

We don't fit into any category...and on same days it is maddening, while other days it is totally liberating.

I used to haunt the website Wonder Homeschool, but it has been down.

Happy to be here!
#82 of 134 Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaMama View Post
Does Story of the World have a big religious slant to it?
Not too bad. There are several references to the Bible, but you can easily take themout.

We use <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Story-Mankind-Hendrik-Willem-Loon/dp/1406838160/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5710479-8178838?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186628857&sr=8-1">The Story of Mankind</a> (my girls aske me to say humankind when we read it).

I like it better than Story of the World because it starts off at the very beginning of how we were created. It tied in nicely with creation stories and myths when doing stuff in K-2.

#83 of 134 Old 08-09-2007, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimboburly

We don't fit into any category...and on same days it is maddening, while other days it is totally liberating.

I used to haunt the website Wonder Homeschool, but it has been down.

Happy to be here!
Welcome to MDC!

I agree that sometimes it can be maddening to not fit in anywhere. I have tried, but only can last so long before I realize I can't follow all the "rules" so to speak. (Not that there are specific rules to be able to call yourself X, Y, or Z in terms of hs'ing, but it seems most designations comes with some pre-agreed upon ideas of what it means to be X, Y, or Z.)

I love the fact, though, that not adhering to any one way of doing things gives us complete freedom to alter what we do to our wishes, likes, and needs. I think that is what finally made me realize we just aren't a Waldorf, or even Waldorf-inspired hs'er. I just couldn't stick within the typical curriculum for everything, and wanted to branch out. We still strive to be fully holistic ... but I think I might even define it differently than how Waldorf, Enki, or OM does. And I have realized, it's ok.

I decided tonight that I would pull my OM 1st grade syllabus and my OM K syllabus and start to synchronize or at least map out the two. We are using the OM K science for our middle son who will be 4 in November. I don't think it will line-up with the OM 1, but at the same time, I think I can tailor both for both boys, and find ways, especially, to incorporate ds#2 in ds#1's science. Next, I want to get out a weekly grid to start loking at our routine/rhythm this year.

#84 of 134 Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 AM

Has anyone used The Mystery of History? 11 y/o dd wants to try it (we own it) for Ancient History. It is supposed to be biblical based, I think, but I am hoping with some supplementing we can round it out. We also have STOW to help. 6 y/o Ben wants to do the Beautiful Feet Holling C. Holling books, Paddle to the Sea, etc. I can't imagine those taking all year tho so we need to decide what to do with Ben after say, Christmas. I'd love to work with the kids together for history.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#85 of 134 Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the input on SOTW! I bought a copy already but haven't read through it yet. I started wondering if I'd got myself into something when I saw an earlier reference to it being non-secular. But it sounds like it will still fit.

Melanie
#86 of 134 Old 08-09-2007, 12:01 PM

I am mama to many, but we are currently homeschooling four. This adventure started 3 years ago and was put on hold at one point due to a rough pregnancy with the twins. We are now back at it and committed to making it work. I started with Oak Meadows and found it too relaxed for my taste. I still use their health curriculum, but that is all. I found WTM and liked the idea, but honestly, I could never keep up that schedule with FOUR kids. So I pick and chose. I do use SOTW, but not their recommended lesson plan and we veer often from their timeline structure. We do not teach Latin (though we intended to at some point - and this is because DH is a geek and enjoys it not because we are "supposed" to), but we do teach Spanish. Our science section is of Dh's own design (no actual textbook/bought curriculum). Math is R&S as I liked the layout and ease of which I can drill when needed and skip when not (their lessons are easy to understand IMHO). We also use R&S English. I am not Christian (SO many people ask after the R&S), so we just skip the bits of scripture. I do stress english/writing but only because I am of the mind that a strong background there will help you explore and get anywhere else in academics. Ummm, have I rambled enough?
Any who, that's us!
#87 of 134 Old 08-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaMama View Post
We're looking at:
-daily Yoga practice through story
-ASL using Signing Times DVDs and online/print dictionaries
Hey KoalaMama, what resources are you using for the yoga? Have you seen Storytime Yoga: Teaching Yoga to Children Through Story ? It's on my wishlist,
#88 of 134 Old 08-09-2007, 01:58 PM

KIMBOBURLY!!!!

:

So nice to see you here!
#89 of 134 Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4it2snow View Post
Hey KoalaMama, what resources are you using for the yoga? Have you seen Storytime Yoga: Teaching Yoga to Children Through Story ? It's on my wishlist,
I had been looking at Storytime Yoga but decided to first get a few resources out from the library to see what else was available. There are lots of books with child appropriate poses, but I couldn't find anything with a selection of stories. So I just purchased the e-book version of Storytime Yoga! I'll let you know what I think once I've had a chance to read through it.

Melanie
#90 of 134 Old 08-11-2007, 02:01 PM

I don't want this thread to die off or get lost. I love having a place to post what we're doing, and read about other families plans.

So, this month I've pretty much put school on hold while ds enjoys a bit of summer, and since he's playing or practicing football at least 4 days a week. I'm using this time to plan a bit more for fall and the official beginning of the school year. We hs to a certain extent all year round, but we do mark the first day of school here, and change our routing a bit, to reflect what all the other families, and ds's friends are doing around us. It's kind of hard to get ds to focus on his schoolwork when there are kids coming to the door all day long wanting to play

Right now I'm doing a lot of thinking about how to structure our routine this year. After the last year of hsing, and the year of ps before that, I've come to the conclusion that we will need a very structured routine to get through all that we both want to do. Because of my very odd and constantly changing work hours (like last week I thought I'd have maybe 8 hours of work, wound up working 40 learning the newly updated computer system, that I didn't learn about until the day the tech showed up to change everything) I've had a lot of trouble trying to establish any sort of routine. Unschooling worked really well for us when I could spend almost all my time with ds, but now we really need to have things scheduled in, or they just fall by the wayside.

My work schedule should (fingers crossed) be fairly relaxed for most of August and September, with a lot of events coming up in October, so I'm going to try to have as much as possible prepped to get us through that busy month. I've been at this job for almost a year now, so I'm hoping that I can now anticipate what the flow of my schedule will be.

For school work, I'm getting ready to put in some orders soon, and also leafing through all my back issues of Learning Through History magazine to put together some short unit-type studies on topics that ds is highly interested in. I'm also trying to track down a copy of a great book I've used before called Physics Lab in a Hardware Store. It covers the basic principles of physics through hand tools and simple projects. Unfortunately it's out of print now, so I'm on a hunt.

So, what are all you other eclectic moms doing right now? (and any dads who may be lurking out there!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page