What do you know about the K12 homeschool curriculum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've even seen it advertised at MDC (Google ads) but does anyone here actually use it? It sounds almost too good to be true - free homeschool materials as a part of the public school system. I mean, sure, you have to take the standard public school tests, and if your opposition to public school is the actual curriculum, this doesn't help . . . but it does sound like a handy (inexpensive) homeschool option.

Your thoughts? Positives, negatives; what am I missing here?

Thanks so much!

http://k12.com/curriculum_and_produc...iew/index.html

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 PM

There was a whole thread here about K-12 recently:

What do you think of K-12.com?

Lillian
#3 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 06:53 PM

This is a recent thread addressing K12: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=717285

You might also search out "virtual" school/schools and Connections Academy (similar to K12, but uses Calvert).

We are beginning 3rd grade with K12 this year. It is our first year outside of a brick & mortar public school. So far, the K12 materials look great and we are ready to jump in!
#4 of 17 Old 08-07-2007, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links - I'll go read the previous discussion!

So far in my research, I've found mixed reviews. Very structured, very tied to the public school system, not as flexible as most HS options. A couple of good articles for thought.

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/192/match.html

http://aha.typepad.com/charters/larry_and_...eman/index.html

My kids are starting out in a local Christian preschool, half days, but I'm researching what to do as they get older . . .

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#5 of 17 Old 08-07-2007, 07:10 PM

I think it also depends on each school district that does it.
I decided to go for it this year and signed up under the school district in the area with good reviews from other parents.
For example, one school district wants you to mark hrs spent teaching where another one just has you mark that you did "something" that day.
#6 of 17 Old 09-09-2013, 02:50 PM

K12 is a corporation selling their curriculum to school districts that have charter set ups.  Since your property taxes pay for your child's school K12 gets the portion that would normally go to a brick and mortar school.  That is why your courses are free.  It is a substitution, under charter schools, for the brick and mortar school that your child would otherwise attend.  I used K12 Hoosier Academy two years ago and it was great.  This year has been a total nightmare.  They have a completely new system with very poor design and lots of glitches.  It took forever to get registered and I believe that was, in part, because the staff at Hoosier are not familiar with these changes.  Until they get through a check list you can not have access to the teachers' list or even the Help function, which I think is absurd.  When my student started going through her "Welcome to online.." session she was reading how to set up and input attendance and if she had more than one student.....It was obvious this was for the coach.  If I tried to go into the session, because it was on her planner, I don't have a planner, it warned me that the student should be signing in.  In going through the daily Coach workbooks it is obvious that words are missing.  For example, "Review with your the thought given...."

I will never again recommend K12.  The child has to do about 11 hours a day in order to get caught up when registration is delayed.  The Coach is now required to almost sit beside the student to constantly put in their password so that the student can continue.  I HATE IT!

#7 of 17 Old 09-11-2013, 01:59 AM

Nice way to dredge up a post from 6 years ago...eyesroll.gif
#8 of 17 Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 AM

Well, if someone wants to talk about it, doesn't hurt.

I was considering signing my kids up for K12 this year because my oldest two are starting high school and I was really nervous about doing it "right." Turns out we are not eligible, because in Texas you have to have attended public school the previous year. Personally, I think that's crap. You can't sign up for public school because you aren't already in public school? The Texas Home School Coalition agrees, but they haven't been able to get it changed.

Oh well. We're using Switched on Schoolhouse again this year. I don't love everything about it, but it does make me feel like I can be sure everything is getting covered.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#9 of 17 Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Wow, interesting requirement, michelle. That's a head-scratcher. What are they thinking?

I just wanted to chime in to add that K12 is indeed a corporation that sells curriculum and services to schools. So charter schools make their own policies and use K12 as their platform for "delivery," for lack of a better term.

Personally, from what I have seen, most parents having issues actually seem to be having trouble with their schools' policies. Their schools are entities other than K12, and the policies are usually agreed upon locally. Sometimes there are typos in materials, but honestly I have had issues in the past with materials my kids brought home from PS, too. Grammar issues in particular. These are everywhere--I'm often bothered by the same thing when reading mass-market novels or nonfiction.

K12 has its own private schools in addition to its products used by charters. We use a private international school, and have not had any issues with policies or expectations. We all have easy access and a lot of contact with teachers, regular check-ins every other week for my elementary student and monthly teacher check-ins for my middle schooler, online classes my kids actually like to attend, and other opportunities to engage as an online community. It's not perfect. We live abroad most of the year and sometimes it's hard to attend classes when we're 10 time zones away. Or, common household items available in the States can be harder to come by in other countries, making science or art more challenging. Or our internet service is interrupted.

It's also a far cry from a hands-off approach. It's definitely not homeschool, but it's definitely nothing like B&M. For me, since we are approaching school very much one year at a time, and my kids both want to return to PS eventually (at least that is what they say today), this is what works for us. I know my kids will ease back into a classroom if they have to in the future.

#10 of 17 Old 09-15-2013, 12:39 AM

And still people wonder why virtual schoolers are not considered homeschoolers...
#11 of 17 Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Hmm...I'm using the K12 curriculum through a public charter and still feel very much like I am homeschooling.  I've actually been pleasantly surprised at the amount of work that is done off the computer.  Yes, there are more worksheets than I would find to be ideal, but I also haven't been pressured to have dd complete ever single one so long as she is getting the concept, and I really only have to turn an assignment in/meet with the teacher (virtually) once a month or so. My dd is in first grade.

I don't love everything about it, but that is more a style issue than anything I think-neither dd nor I are great at a strict routine, so I'm learning what I can bend and move around to make it flow better for us (i.e. they had scheduled the base subjects plus 2 extras each day, like history and art or science and music, but I moved the schedule around so we just do 2 "units" of each special one day a week so there are less transitions from subject to subject.  Already a huge improvement for us.)

I was at a place this year that I really *needed* a set curriculum though-in an ideal world, I'd be an unschooler, but right now it just isn't feasible for various reasons.

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#12 of 17 Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 AM

My oldest is a december baby and my husband and I didn't want her to have to wait another year to start kindergarten. We enrolled her in the K12 program in march of 2013. From the beginning.there were red flags. One time i was told she would start the week of her birthday and another time i was told she would start in january. When she started on the 16th of january 2014 there was no daily plan.or weekly plan. The teacher would.not.have the plan ready until the 30th of january and would not meet with me until the 27th. This left me confused and wondering what to do. I assessed her. After attending the program for.only 2 days i realized this.program was not right.for.my.family.this.program is.definitly not for people,that have more.than 2 children and.do not a lot.of.patience. I am now.going.through the withdrawl.process and.not.having.an easy.time.with anyone.connected.to.the school.to.do this. Would.not recommend.K12.to.anyone. Happy to be putting.my.daughter.in.public.kindergarten.that is.near.my home.
#13 of 17 Old 08-19-2014, 02:17 PM

Bad expereince k-12 enrollment

I want to share my experience to trying to enroll my child with K-12 online program. I wish I would read this forum first before I tried to enroll my child with K-12. The reason I wanted to enroll was that I have to go oversees to take care of ill grandparents. I was concerned if tuition will be free. But the CSR made me sure that it will be free and it will take me only 1-3 business days to be enrolled. NOT THE CASE. At least 1 week it take them to "proceed your documents" not even approved! After that that they still should approve your application, after that I need to take online conference. I signed up for this conference and THEY CANCELLED IT notifying MY by EMAIL 4 hours before my conference time. I took off work to be at 2 pm. When I called no one could give me any reasonable answer.
Foremost, my child will not be able start the school until I did this conference and closest time was now in 2 weeks ahead! And after that I will need to wait 10 more business days for books/materials to be send to me.
And in the end, another CSR told me with a rude voice that we can't get free tuition because we will stay 2 months oversees.

Overall: Very NOT ORGANIZED ORGANIZATION. DON'T US K-12.Try to do on your own or just send your kids to public school. VERY DISAPPOINTING AND canceled the enrollment.
#14 of 17 Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 PM

Angry K12 is a disaster!

K12 is an organizational "nightmare" not unlike public education itself. Too, it is hardly written "for" students w/re to sophistication of language or visual appeal. IN FACT, it is written in such a fashion most adults I know wind up scratching their heads trying to understand it. It's "boring" and anything BUT user-friendly. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't created by the same eggheads who put together public education. Heck, it doesn't even provide a hands-on work-book. This said, if anyone thinks "online" is the answer to learning, they know squat about the human side of learning both in terms of the need for direct, face-to-face contact, visual appeal, AND to be able to "hold" learning materials in one's hand. The whole concept is wrong and wrongly applied here. And then there are all the "politics" and money trail involved.

BTW, I'm a former 7th grade math teacher w/a master's in education and student personnel services.

Last edited by Mad at K12; 08-30-2014 at 12:23 AM.
#15 of 17 Old 08-31-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks for this thread I also was interested in learning about K12. My kids might be using it next year if we move to Michigan, because I believe this program is subsidized there as a homeschooling option. I look forward to learning more about it from fellow moms on this forum!

To all NYC moms from the Western Queens area, please check out my Examiner.com page, where I write about all the family news, views, and events happening in and around there: http://www.examiner.com/family-in-new-york/rahela-choudhury
#16 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 02:04 AM

Thumbs up k12 is amazing!

rI'm going to start off by calling out Mad at K12. I would just like to quote something, " Heck, it doesn't even provide a hands-on work-book." Can I just be a busybody and ask where this information came from? I have been my childs "learning coach" since 2011 and I have always had course materials. Every year I have been sent huge packages through UPS and FEDEX containing Teacher Guides and Student books. We are enrolled with CAVA Kings and I absolutely LOVE them! Our certified teacher is amazing. They honestly care about the kids. I've NEVER experienced a problem with k12 customer support or our k12 pal. My children have attended traditional public school, traditional homeschool, and virtual. Out of the methods I have tried, k12 is THE BEST! My son has only 15min of online learning in each course, if that. Everything is done from a book, same as public school. I have a teachers guide and the kids have their books. They have phonics, vocab, language arts, language arts comprehension, writing skills, art, history, music, science, and spanish. There's also a thing called study island which is basically their homework. They do have A LOT of workbook pages they do for each lesson plan. And there is always a daily plan and weekly plan to let me get a heads up on what we are going to be teaching this week. Also to the woman who said the teacher didn't set up your lesson plan? You are mistaken. The teachers do not set up the lesson plan. The plans are set up before you even log in by the actual k12 technicians who run the online learning system. My son and daughters plans were set after k12 received their transcripts from their previous public school. And to the woman who relayed that she couldn't get unenrolled? That's not true either. Simply go to your neighborhood public school and sign a release of records with your k12 programs address and voila you're done. There's no unenrollment with k12. Only enrollment.

Now with all of that being said I LOVE MY K12!!! My kids are extremely smart and learning fast! This is what the 3rd day of school in our area and they have done 2 lessons a day in each subject. I don't care if the ceo is banking on this, this system works and my kids are more advanced in this program than their friends in traditional public school. I think, in my personal opinion, that the reason there is such a high withdrawal rate and the successes for k12 students isn't really where it needs to be is due to the fact that it is so easy to enroll into k12. Parents get in here and think they can skip days of work and make it up later and they actually don't even teach their kids at all which is making k12 look bad. I've met some families who don't log in everyday. This IS public school, only at home. Attendance is required. You have to put he time into your childs education for them to learn. My sister was homeschooled up until highschool. My mom poured her whole body into teaching my sister. When she enrolled in public highschool in 9th grade and took the placement test she was 2grades ahead and will be graduating highschool earlier than her peers. Your child can go to a traditional public school for every single grade and as long as the parents aren't helping or supporting, they won't learn a thing. Teachers are there to teach, parents to enforce. K12 works for some and not for others. I think k12 is specifically for kids who get very bored in traditional classroom settings. My kids are extremely smart and this works for them. But then again I take the time to actually teach my kids. I do not have a facebook and my cell is turned off during "school hours." I put time and effort into making sure they understand what I am teaching them. I reinforce everything they have went over. It takes me 6 hours to get through 2 kids, on a good day. I go to school full time at the local college for engineering and I take my sister to work.

I would recommend k12 to my dying days. As long as you're taking the time as a parent to put in the work the outcome is amazing.
#17 of 17 Old 09-05-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenemami View Post
<p>Hmm...I'm using the K12 curriculum through a public charter and still feel very much like I am homeschooling.  I've actually been pleasantly surprised at the amount of work that is done off the computer.  Yes, there are more worksheets than I would find to be ideal, but I also haven't been pressured to have dd complete ever single one so long as she is getting the concept, and I really only have to turn an assignment in/meet with the teacher (virtually) once a month or so. My dd is in first grade.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't love everything about it, but that is more a style issue than anything I think-neither dd nor I are great at a strict routine, so I'm learning what I can bend and move around to make it flow better for us (i.e. they had scheduled the base subjects plus 2 extras each day, like history and art or science and music, but I moved the schedule around so we just do 2 "units" of each special one day a week so there are less transitions from subject to subject.  Already a huge improvement for us.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was at a place this year that I really *needed* a set curriculum though-in an ideal world, I'd be an unschooler, but right now it just isn't feasible for various reasons.</p>
I'm right there with you. I had to tweak my weekly lesson plans too to get into a great routine. But it's working for ds and dd =D

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page