*~* August Preschool Thread *~* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 08-05-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
August preschoolers unite! Id love to hear what your plans are this month.

Ive gotta go feed my kiddo but Ill add mine later!
#2 of 49 Old 08-05-2007, 07:20 PM

We're taking a scattershot approach this year, in that dd is interested in several different things and there are some things I want to try, too.

We're in a preschool co-op that meets 3-4 days a month (roughly once a week, usually with the first week of the month off). This year's focus is community, last year's was nature. We're going to be visiting a police station, fire station, library, trash museum, post office, farm, and a few other places for our monthly field trips, and then reading some stories and doing some activities together around those field trips.

DD's started adding and asking all sorts of fun questions like, "Mama, where do babies come from?" that are making me a little :. Mostly because she always asks them before I've had my morning caffeine fix! A friend is getting the Oak Meadow K curriculum and we're going to be sharing some of that with her, because it seems like it will cover some of the math and "how/why" questions dd has.

And because I'm interested in it and I think dd will have a lot of fun with it, I'm getting some of the Earth*School units. They're very nature based, a little on the pagan side, and it seems really flexible, so we can do a week's worth of activities over a month, or in a couple days, if we want.

We also go to playgroups during the week and there are some occasional activities we take part in that way -- art, music, exposure to other languages.

It sounds like a lot, but it's only an hour or two a day and dd almost always asks to do something outside the house. She seems to have two speeds: full speed ahead and unconscious!
#3 of 49 Old 08-05-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

I really wish to keep an unschooling approach with my ds because that just works better for him.. He really hates being "made" to do anything, but our goals for the entire year are something like this:

Name and recognize shapes
Count to 20
Be able to trace lines (horizontal, vertical, zig-zag, circles, etc)
Name and recognize colours
And basic opposites (big/small, short/tall, light/dark, day/night, etc)

He can do parts of these

This month we are working on:
Tracing Horizontal lines
Recognizing circles (and drawing them)
The colour green (and colouring in the lines)
Big/small and few/many
and the numbers 1-5 (He can almost count to 5.. He skips 4.. )

And our biggest goal is following directions He has a hard time with this one.

Considering he is only 3 (and will not be 5 until 2009) I wanted to keep it fairly easy, so there is really no curriculum.. We are learning these things through play and life, but I am having him do worksheets during the week also to kind of record his progress.

We are not doing any science, or history or geography yet... But he is working on naming body parts.

We are not involved in any playgroups. I wish we were though. We are also not involved in any preschool co-ops...
#4 of 49 Old 08-05-2007, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
We're taking a scattershot approach this year, in that dd is interested in several different things and there are some things I want to try, too.
We are still getting the feel of what is working for us, so we are going to be trying a lot of different things. DS is not really interested in much so Im having to pull things from everywhere.

Quote:
We're in a preschool co-op
Im not sure if there is anything like this around my area but it really sounds interesting.

Quote:
DD's started adding and asking all sorts of fun questions like,
So Glad I am not in that stage yet

Quote:
and it seems really flexible,
I am all about flexible. I wanted to start my son early so he could finish early, but I also wanted to give him time if he has trouble in some areas. I have not heard of that curriculum but it sounds like something we might be interested in. Im going to look into that.
[/quote]

Quote:

It sounds like a lot, but it's only an hour or two a day
This is ours too.. It seems like a lot, but its not really all that much. Ours probably averages out to about an hour or two a day as well. We only "offically" work on stuff M-F but he wants to do his "schoolwork" on the weekends also
#5 of 49 Old 08-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
And because I'm interested in it and I think dd will have a lot of fun with it, I'm getting some of the Earth*School units. They're very nature based, a little on the pagan side, and it seems really flexible, so we can do a week's worth of activities over a month, or in a couple days, if we want.
Do you have a link for that? Sounds interesting.

I'm starting a preschool co-op with some friends from my mom's club and I'm "teaching" 3 year old playschool (a 1.5 hour/once a week program that our playgroup sponsors)
#6 of 49 Old 08-05-2007, 10:42 PM

We are using the Earth School for my four year old. Here's a link:
http://www.kandfshops.com/#4871

We finished the Going Buggy and loved it. We ordered the Under the Sea and Summer Harvest. We are using Summer Harvest now. My child also likes doing worksheets so I ordered the Handwriting without tears prek book and Singapore Math 1a. We are also starting the how to teach your child to read in 100 lessons.
#7 of 49 Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We're having fun here doing fieldtrips and playgroups, fooling around with our various manipulatives and science-y gear (magnifying glass, eyedroppers, magnets, stuff like that). We're reading tons of books and spending hours outside every day. The kids really like helping me in the garden.

Colwyn does really like doing workbooks, so I'm thinking of getting him the first Singapore math book. We'll see. For now we've got several that are just mazes, and then a bunch more of those "Great Preschool Activity Books! Make Your Kid a Genius Overnight!" It's really nice to be able to let Colwyn do the exercises the way he wants.. like, if he wants to just circle a picture instead of coloring it (to indicate which picture is the right answer), he can.

We're learning about Africa, sort of.. I have the African Putamayo CD of children's music that we listen to, a few crafts to do, and we've looked up Africa on the globe. They also watched part of a documentary on hippos, and we have a few books from the library that take place in Africa.

We're also learning about aircraft/pilots/etc.. lots of books, trips to the local airport, and Colwyn got to go for a helicopter ride this weekend.

Our dinosaur obsession is on-going, of course. I'm wondering how long he'll keep going on that one, but it'll be for as long as he likes. We find ways to broach all sorts of subjects using dinosaurs as a lead-in.

I don't really have any plans specifically for this year. Colwyn can do pretty much everything on the World Book's preschool list, so I figure we're doing well. If he learns his letters/letter sounds, great, but if not, no biggie. Beyond that, we're just following the kids' leads.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#8 of 49 Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 AM

We have been enjoying our summer.

This was Shark Week on Discovery Channel, so we checked out some books from the library, Tivo'd a show, and did some shark related crafts. Otherwise, lots of nature walks, lots of reading, and lots of being outside.

The boys have also been taking care of the garden with me, so we have lots of tomatoes, peppers, herbs, beans, and flowers to take care of, and all of the insects in the yard to observe and look up!

Outings-wise last month we were busy - we went to a big aquarium, to visit a large cave, and miniature golfing. This month we hope to visit the state fair (lots to learn and see there!), a great lake, and a farm for raspberry picking.

Day to day we are still working on basic handwriting with my 4 year old, and phonics.

Mainly enjoying the summer and keeping cool! We are in 2 local playgroups, but those have been more hit or miss in this hot weather.

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
#9 of 49 Old 08-07-2007, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Has anybody done any of those cheapy workbooks at like Target and the dollar stores? I saw some today and was flipping through them but thought they were kind of advanced.. at least for my liking.
#10 of 49 Old 08-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Colwyn loves workbooks and requests them daily, which is pretty funny considering I never planned to do workbooks with him.

We buy workbooks everywhere, Target, the Dollar Store, Costco, etc. Some of the pages are beyond his ability.. we either skip those or modify them. The thing about homeschooling is that you don't *have* to do it the way the book says.. you can tailor it to fit your child's needs. For instance.. some of the pages that require writing answers out, I'll have Colwyn dictate his answers to me and I write them down.

-Rachel
#11 of 49 Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! Gabe is 3 1/2 and I took the plunge and got the OM preschool materials. This is less of a curriculum, and more of an intro to waldorf education, establishing daily rhythm, etc. This is great for us as Gabe is very much a free spirit. We are very much into nature so for these preschool years, I hope to focus much of our time doing nature based things

I also go the summer Seasons of Joy from annettemarie which has fabulous ideas. We are going to spend the next week or so setting up our nature table and getting the art/ craft supplies that we want. We had our first circle time this morning, and it was a really nice way to start our day.

I LOVE the earth school stuff, thanks for sharing that. I think I may order the dinosaurs and under the sea units. We have been *big* into dinos for awhile.

I am not worried about the 3 Rs at this point, although Gabe knows the alphabet, colora, shapes and can count pretty high just through osmosis, it seems. We are going to just take it at his pace and see where we go. Wheeeee~an adventure for sure!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#12 of 49 Old 08-07-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColwynsMommy View Post
Colwyn loves workbooks and requests them daily, which is pretty funny considering I never planned to do workbooks with him.

We buy workbooks everywhere, Target, the Dollar Store, Costco, etc. Some of the pages are beyond his ability.. we either skip those or modify them. The thing about homeschooling is that you don't *have* to do it the way the book says.. you can tailor it to fit your child's needs. For instance.. some of the pages that require writing answers out, I'll have Colwyn dictate his answers to me and I write them down.

Its funny what our kids like.

Do you have any favourites that are not as advanced?
#13 of 49 Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColwynsMommy View Post

Ditto, DD loves them. Daily!!
#14 of 49 Old 08-07-2007, 09:30 PM

Subbing for ideas. We're really going to work on finding homeschool friends this year. Most of the kids her age in playgroup are off to preschool this year... :

-Angela
#15 of 49 Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 PM

:

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#16 of 49 Old 08-07-2007, 10:43 PM

I just came across a book you might enjoy - looks like fun - Games With Books: Twenty-eight of the Best Children's books and How to Use Them to Help Your Child Learn-From Preschool to Third Grade. It's by by Peggy Kaye. If you go to the Amazon.com page on it, you can look inside and see the table of contents, excerpts, etc. Lillian
#17 of 49 Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 PM

We are going to be doing Sonlight Core B, Handwriting Without Tears, and Singapore Earlybird Math 1. I am using a theme schedule available from a yahoo group that way I can add extra library books an hand on activities easily. We're not really following a schedule each day though. I made a list of all the stories for each theme so we can just check them off as we go. I think this will work much better for us rather than planning on certain things each day. There are some families at our church that are also going to be home schooling preschool this year using Sonlight, Before Five in a Row, and My Father's World. They're interested in having a field trip co-op which I'd love to do for my oldest but not sure about with the two littlest if that would be real practical. We plan on starting next week.
#18 of 49 Old 08-07-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Subbing for ideas. We're really going to work on finding homeschool friends this year. Most of the kids her age in playgroup are off to preschool this year... :

-Angela
Us too. There are homeschool groups in this area but none of them do stuff for preschoolers. From what I've seen, most families have kids in upper elementary and younger, and the little ones just tag along. I'm trying to form a (un)preschool group, but it's tough going. I think I'm going to start my own Meetup group, as the Yahoo group hasn't gotten us any leads. I came up with a great logo for the group, but then I can never remember to bring flyers with me when we go to the library, grocery store, etc. Bleh.

For specific workbooks.. we don't really have any favorites. The expensive Kumon ones are nice, but Colwyn prefers things that are more heavily illustrated. Any workbook that is heavy on the mazes is good for us, though.

-Rachel
#19 of 49 Old 08-08-2007, 02:33 AM

I've been :, but we are planning on hs'ing a preschooler this year.

I work FT, so playgroups have never been an option. There is a somewhat local hs'ing group that meets only on Wednesday mornings, so that's totally out of the question. Besides, if I were available, dd is a late sleeper so I doubt we'd make it in time anyway.

I know that there are other working parents who hs, but it's a challenge to find any locally. I really like the idea of trying meetups instead of yahoo.

Oh, and since I'm out, the game plan for now is to use OM pre-K along with some supplementary things. Dd really likes Starfall and we read all the time. I'd like to work on getting more of a rhythm to the day/week/month/year and start a nature table for us. For now, a waldorf inspired curriculum with some additional items in a relaxed pace will mostly likely work best. We also have a 2 yo at home, so I don't want to make this year difficult.

Of course, these ideas might change once I return from the local hs conference this weekend...
#20 of 49 Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM

For the earth school stuff do you do the E version or the print - anyone have experience with both?

Em loves the workbooks too!

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#21 of 49 Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama kate View Post
For the earth school stuff do you do the E version or the print - anyone have experience with both?

Em loves the workbooks too!
I get the printed verison because our printer doesn't work. Plus I like to have something in hand. She ships very quickly.
#22 of 49 Old 08-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Thanks Norah! Any favorites if I am just planning on picking a couple??

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#23 of 49 Old 08-08-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks Norah! Any favorites if I am just planning on picking a couple??
We really loved the Going Buggy one. The summer harvest is okay but my child just isn't interested in it. I've given up on the summer harvest for this year and we are starting the Under the Sea next week. I've read through the Under the sea and it sounds like its more like the Going Buggy. My friend purchased the dinosaur one and loves it. Next up for us are the Halloween and Thanksgiving day ones.
#24 of 49 Old 08-08-2007, 03:19 PM

Cool!Thanks! I was thinking the buggy, under the sea, and the upcoming holiday ones. She is bug obsessed so hopefully she'll like it!

#25 of 49 Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 PM

Hi there..

Jumping in here....

We're using the Oak Meadow K curric. with our 3+ year old son (I looked at the Preschool curric, but based on what he already knows, I figured we would get more mileage our of the K one) in a sort of casual way....and also the BFIAR program and books...also in a casual sort of way.

Other than that we do playgroup, playdates, and occasionally hit library story time too (we go the library often, just not always for story time). I also keep tons of "art" stuff around, and we try to make a big mess a few times a week!

We're pretty remote where we live, so our options are limited. We used to attend Kindermusik too, but the woman who taught it retired

Thanks for the book suggestion Lillian...I've reserved it at our library

R
#26 of 49 Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 PM

For those of you who have used an earth*school unit, what are your thoughts? I purchased one on fairies, but I find it to be more supplemental material.

I've also printed out the insect unit from Waldorf Curriculum and I really like the layout of it. I might use this site for our core and add in other items.
#27 of 49 Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 PM

Hi! New to this neck of the woods....Hi Angela...

My dd turned 2 in April and I'd like to begin some type of homeschool/ unschooling with her.

Quote:
I'd like to work on getting more of a rhythm to the day/week/month/year and start a nature table for us. For now, a waldorf inspired curriculum with some additional items in a relaxed pace will mostly likely work best.
Yeah, that. I'm also looking for a rhythm to our day that inspires her and stimulates her. I work from home but that is very flexible. I would love to get involved in a preschool coop like the one a PP mentioned. Is there a network for that sort of thing? How do I find one? What do they cost? I've been to a few playgroups but I like the way the PP described hers...

Quote:
We're in a preschool co-op that meets 3-4 days a month (roughly once a week, usually with the first week of the month off). This year's focus is community, last year's was nature. We're going to be visiting a police station, fire station, library, trash museum, post office, farm, and a few other places for our monthly field trips, and then reading some stories and doing some activities together around those field trips.
Right now our day usually goes like this, from 8am to 9pm:

get up, groom, get dressed, etc.
I clean around the house while she helps, plays randomly or sometimes watches tv :
play outside, come in and have free play, sing, dance
I work, internet (and stay on waaaay too long )
lunch, nap, snack, free play, tv, play outside, dinner, bath, bed
Insert a random activity I found online (we made an owl out of paper plates yesterday)

Can anyone give me some ideas for how to incorporate some of the things you mention into our day? How much time do you spend actually homeschooling? especially with a child as young as 2. Is it 15 min here, 20 there. I don't want a rigid schedule, but I think we could use some sort of guideline. Like, one week is about water, and ideas/activities for everyday. Specific examples welcome! And more links too please!
#28 of 49 Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 AM

for those using earth school units - how much in the way of supplies do you end up buying f or each unit? I'm about ready to buy about 8 units for the year and am wondering if I should buy less but they all sound so cool!!

#29 of 49 Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
For those of you who have used an earth*school unit, what are your thoughts? I purchased one on fairies, but I find it to be more supplemental material.

I don't know how to answer. For my kids (ages 4 and 2.5) its really about as much as I would want to do with them for their ages. There's lots of things to do in the ones that I've bought. I didn't buy the fairies one so I don't know how it compares to the ones I've used.
#30 of 49 Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
for those using earth school units - how much in the way of supplies do you end up buying f or each unit? I'm about ready to buy about 8 units for the year and am wondering if I should buy less but they all sound so cool!!
Each unit is different so its hard to say. I'm pming you the list I just made up for the Under the Sea unit. I think, though, that the Under the Sea has a little more than the Going Buggy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page