Where can I find big pencils for learning to write? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2007, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where can I find those big wooden pencils that are easier for little kids' hands to hold? I remember learning to write with them as a child, and want to get some for my kindergartener, but I don't know where to find them. Anyone know??

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 05:27 PM

I don't know where to get big pencils. DD just uses the regular ones. What about writing with the big crayons or markers?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:35 PM

I found mine at a teachers resource store. I also found a pack at walmart recently, but they weren't nearly as nice...go figure!

Crayola has a great set of colored pencils that we've been using called Write Start. They are just perfect and last a long time.

If you don't mind ordering online, you can order special pencils from Draw Write Now. I haven't tried them, but they are suppose to be easier to grip.

I must admit, I teach my 4 yo dd, as well as 5 & 6 yo boys and they all prefer the fatter style pencils. It makes a huge difference in their handwriting.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:14 PM

I saw some at Target yesterday.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 PM

They were on the required supplies list at ds school last year. The school was brand specific no less! I'm looking at one right now on my desk. My first Ticonderoga the nice yellow pink and green kind. I think Staples or Office Depot. They weren't too useful for us as my son was used to holding a regular pencil anyway, but they are awfully cute to look at. It just seems like one of those things you are supposed to have for little kids!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:33 PM

I like the Ferby triangular large ones. I found them on-line- I think at a waldorfplay.com? maybe

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 08-16-2007, 07:39 PM

i may have some ticonderoga (?) brand leftover. I bought them at a specialty store downstate....I happen to be going back in a few days...I can pick some up for you. We also like the tr-write for proper pencil hold.pm me if interested.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 PM

I don't think I'd go for the fat ones, I'm not sure they really are good for learning grip. I did get a couple packs of Ticonderoga triangular ones at Staples yesterday, though. The shape is good for encouraging proper grip.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 08-16-2007, 09:45 PM

I don't know where I got them, but my kids REALLY don't like to use the bigger pencils. They much prefer regular size pencils and crayons- even my 3yo.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 AM

I have to agree with not using them. My kids find any of the fat writting/drawing tools to be combersome.

I found some refillable short pencils with grip pads on them for the kids (and myself, they're comfortable) at *gasp* Walmart, but perhaps they're at any store that sells school/office supplies.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
I don't know where I got them, but my kids REALLY don't like to use the bigger pencils. They much prefer regular size pencils and crayons- even my 3yo.
I never used the fat crayons with my kids either nor the fat pencils but I was given a sample of one of the triangle shaped Ticonderoga pencils at Staples last year and Ds loved them. There is something about them that is more comfortable to hold than a normal pencil.

I bought my self a six-pack for taking notes.

Stephany
Old 08-17-2007, 08:33 PM

My children don't like the fat pencils, either -- though we haven't tried the triangular ones.

I did some research a while back, and there seems to be a wide range of opinions as to which type is best. Some programs, such as "Handwriting Without Tears," recommend using the little golf pencils. These are sold at office supply stores, for about $7/box of 144. They don't have erasers, which is supposed to be better for Kindergarteners anyway. (They don't really need them yet, and they sometimes get hung up on erasing everything that's not "perfect.")
Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just want to throw out that if your dc like the fat pencils, you might try the Crayola pipsqueak markers. They are fat and short - my dd2 strongly prefers them.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions, ladies. Lakesuperiormom, your offer is so kind, but at this point I think I will probably try making a trip to an office supply store or someplace similar and taking a look around at their selection. If they don't have the large pencils, maybe I will try the triangular ones.

The golf pencils are an interesting idea, as are the markers. Right now my son usually uses crayons to write his name, and he does well with them; but I would like to try something with a finer point for more precision in forming the letters. I suppose we will try the large or triangular pencils and see if that works, and maybe experiment with a few different implements to see what ends up working best.

Thank you again!
Old 08-18-2007, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't find the link now but I read some articles that were saying that they do not suggest using the fat pencils for beginning writers now.
They encourage fat crayons for scribbling and such when toddlers are learning to hold a writing tool but when they are learning to write letters they should use a regular pencil. I can't recall the specifics now though.

Just something to check into.

You might want to try the pencil grips if you really think he needs grip assistance.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:09 PM

I was just going through and sharpening my dd's pencils when I it occured to me what I like best about these pencils...they last forever. They rarely break when she's using them. Even her crayola Write Starts are almost as long as they were a year ago. I sharpen them every few weeks maybe.

So if your child has a pencil sharpening habit to break...these may be the answer!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:32 AM

Actually, golf pencils are best for little fingers....

User Tag List