Homeschool?? How do you afford it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How are you able to afford homeschooling your kid(s)?
my DP supports us. 91 58.33%
my DP supports us and I work at home. 18 11.54%
my DP supports us and I work out of home. 12 7.69%
I'm a single parent and I live on what I can (food stamps, child support, welfare). 3 1.92%
I'm a single parent and I work at home. 4 2.56%
I'm a single parent and I work out of home. 5 3.21%
my DP and I alternate HSing, and working. 2 1.28%
we live in a communal house, where money is not really an issue. 0 0%
we are self-sufficient gardeners and crafty crafters. 0 0%
DP and/or I are well off because of inheritance/rich family. 0 0%
you find it difficult to make ends meet (for anyone to select, if it applies) 21 13.46%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
I guess that the poll is interesting to me, b/c while I am lucky that my DH provides for us. Ironically, if we did not HS, our kids would go to private school and in order to afford that I would have to return to work. For us, HSing is actually a more affordable than sending our children to traditional school. Probably at some point or another when the kids are older, I will get some sort of part time job, in order to help save for my kids' college costs. So, even though I'm currently a SAHM, it may not always be that way.
:

We looked at private schools before deciding to HS. DS would have been in middle school at 11K per yr, DD in preschool at 6K a yr. I would either have to find a job that didn't start until 9 and got out at 2, or I would have to put them in afterschool to a tune of 300-500 per month. At the time DH worked second shift. He could drop the kids off at school. but would be at work at pick-up time or when after school programs ended. Add gas, lunch expenses, school unforms for the kids and work cloths for me. Not to mention increased car insurance premiums if I drove into the metro area every day, convience foods etc.
#32 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

Well I hit send before I finished and edit isn't working....
We figured out that I would have to gross 38-40K per yr to afford to send them to private school.
Pretty impossible to do at an entry level non-degree position.
#33 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Maybe the assumption wasn't sexist, but rather that the at-home parent would be more likely to be the MDC member.
this is exactly my reasoning, and then using the term Dp, could have been the stay at home DAD if that was the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrella View Post
I don't follow. Why would a wohm with a sahd have less time than any other married wohm, or even the single moms? Out of the woh moms and single moms, one might think that the wohm with the sah partner, would have More time out of all of them.

You listed so many other options for "working, and being a parent."

Honestly, I found your explanation to be closer to something like "sexist" than the simple omission. The omission can be somewhat understandably explained by the sheer lack of exposure most people have to that circumstance. Justifying it in the manner...like you had a reason to exclude it on purpose? Why would you exclude it on purpose? Not thinking of it makes more sense, and is nicer than excluding it on purpose, and for bogus reasons.
cause I am totally sexist. I believe that women should take care of kids exclusively, and that they never ever have anyone else care for them. that would be wrong. men don't know how to take care of kids.(sarcasm)

this is utterly rediculous. I meant the poll to be multiple choice, so that people could choose more than one designation. but lord have mercy, I forgot to select the 'multiple choice' box. I am so bad.
#34 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 01:16 PM

Honestly, the sarcasm doesn't help me understand it better.

I genuinely don't understand. Why would a wohm with a sahd less time than any other working mom?
#35 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
but rather that the at-home parent would be more likely to be the MDC member.
I don't understand this either. The site is called "mothering" not "stay-at-homing." Mothers are more likely to be members here. I am sure we have more working mothers here, than we do fathers of any kind.
#36 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Honestly, the sarcasm doesn't help me understand it better.

I genuinely don't understand. Why would a wohm with a sahd less time than any other working mom?
I don't understand it either.
I know many people, both male and female who go online/post of BB's etc while at work, or when they are at home. Why would one assume that someone that works, but has a SAHP wouldn't post on the internet, but yet they would have to post if their partner worked outside off the home too? It would seem that if both partners worked outside of the home, then might be less time to post online.
#37 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
i'm thinking of any working parent, of course.

because (as Ive heard, as I'm not a WOHP) people who work and have kids at home tend to fly out the door in the morning, kiss their kids on their way out, work at work (unless perhaps there are computers there, and they spend copious amounts of time not actually working and going online instead)... get home and eat supper, play with their kids for a bit, and then go to bed, only to start over in the morning again... thats the way I saw it. they don't have much FREE time.

whereas, the SAH*P* would be taking care of the kids, cleaning, taking it easy, sitting online to do a poll on MDC.

do you get it yet?:
#38 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
i'm thinking of any working parent, of course.

because (as Ive heard, as I'm not a WOHP) people who work and have kids at home tend to fly out the door in the morning, kiss their kids on their way out, work at work (unless perhaps there are computers there, and they spend copious amounts of time not actually working and going online instead)... get home and eat supper, play with their kids for a bit, and then go to bed, only to start over in the morning again... thats the way I saw it. they don't have much FREE time.

whereas, the SAH*P* would be taking care of the kids, cleaning, taking it easy, sitting online to do a poll on MDC.

do you get it yet?:
No, I still don't get it. HERE, you're saying that applies to all working moms. But you included other working moms in the poll, except for those who have a sahp. And then by the reason you gave for excluding them, you would also have to exclude all other working mothers.

I still assumed you just didn't consider the circumstance, not seeing it very often.

The reason you gave for the idea of purposely excluding it, just doesn't make sense, considering the options you DID include.
#39 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

well, I guess you got me. I lose.
#40 of 48 Old 08-20-2007, 04:52 AM

I agree, it's really tough sometimes to create a poll and remember to include every possibility.

I voted that DP supports us, but the truth is, we're not making it quite so easily as we used to. I'm sure things will be fine, but we've been going through a lean period.
#41 of 48 Old 08-20-2007, 08:20 AM

my dh supports us mostly, and i'm a sahm 6 days a week. i have a b.s. in social work, but p/t jobs are scarce where we live. so.... i just got a job a few weeks ago .....an hour away from me! i'm working on saturdays from 10-8 at the front desk in a high-end furniture store. it's great though because they offer health insurance to very p/t employees.....so my family will have great insurance now for very cheap!!! yea!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#42 of 48 Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi View Post
I wouldn't have thought to list that either.
Obviously SAH or WOH Dads could homeschool but in the hundreds of homeschoolers I have met irl and online that hasn't been the case so it would not have occurred to me to make it a choice.

Keri
Yeah, I wouldn't have thought of it either.

My DH supports us.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#43 of 48 Old 08-20-2007, 09:23 AM

I voted DP supports us.
Dh is currently working 1 full time and 2 part time jobs and I am a SAHP. We homeschooled dd with less income in the past. Sometimes things are tight for us but it has very little to do with homeschooling. I don't think the choices on the poll about who works and who doesn't will reflect how people afford to homeschool.

So far I'd say we are affording homeschooling by deciding what we can afford with our budget and using our brains to come up with a way to make it work. That's probably true for most people.

We did buy a full curriculum last year and I noted what we didn't use and what we did. I did a lot of planning over the summer. This year I bought less. We are using things we already own as well as resources like the library, internet and free programs in the area. We are staggering our planned purchases throughout the year. My parents offered to buy dd some school supplies (paper, crayons, markers, glue) with their store discount. We weren't in dire straights over getting that stuff but it helped.
We don't have a back-to-school wardrobe to buy (can homeschool in pajamas if we feel like it). I took my dd's "school" picture with my digital camera.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#44 of 48 Old 08-20-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Maybe the assumption wasn't sexist, but rather that the at-home parent would be more likely to be the MDC member.
Well, isn't that a sexist assumption? My DH is the at-home parent and I work. I happen to work at home, so I get to see the kids frequently. I also am on the computer all day, so it's easy for me to read MDC.

I was shocked that "I support us and DH/DP stays home" was not an option, too. It's kind of sad really to assume that all MDC mamas are either in double-parent-working homes or are supported by a DH/DP. Why can't they be the sole financial supporters? Not crunchy enough?

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#45 of 48 Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM

I just blew it off as being an oddball in the land off oddballs

All the homeschool things we do..I'm the main contact, even though dh is the one that takes the kids

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#46 of 48 Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 PM

My choice wasn't on there. I'm married, but both dh and I are disabled so we rely on what income we can SSDI, SSI, food stamps, WIC. I did not see this option on here for couples, only for single mother.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#47 of 48 Old 08-21-2007, 01:16 AM

Just thought I'd point out that I can, off the top of my head, list off three SAHDs who homeschool that I know. One is retired and this is his "2nd set of children" as he describes it and he feels it is very important to spend as much time with them as is possible, since he didn't do that with his first two. There is also a SAHD in our homeschool group that I know of, and one of my friend's husbands has just switched to being the SAH homeschooling parent.

Certainly, that's a smaller percentage out of all the homeschoolers I know, but I am still surprised that there are others who don't know any homeschooling dads. Interesting...
#48 of 48 Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 AM

we struggle-

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page