Homeschool?? How do you afford it? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How are you able to afford homeschooling your kid(s)?
my DP supports us. 91 58.33%
my DP supports us and I work at home. 18 11.54%
my DP supports us and I work out of home. 12 7.69%
I'm a single parent and I live on what I can (food stamps, child support, welfare). 3 1.92%
I'm a single parent and I work at home. 4 2.56%
I'm a single parent and I work out of home. 5 3.21%
my DP and I alternate HSing, and working. 2 1.28%
we live in a communal house, where money is not really an issue. 0 0%
we are self-sufficient gardeners and crafty crafters. 0 0%
DP and/or I are well off because of inheritance/rich family. 0 0%
you find it difficult to make ends meet (for anyone to select, if it applies) 21 13.46%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a poll for any and all homeschoolers/unschoolers, radical/un-radical. It is private so don't be afraid to select the appropriate designation.

thanks!

ach, i wanted it to be multiple choice. too late now. If you aren't on this poll, please let me know what I missed.:P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 AM

I voted that we're supported by DP's income.

We also are working towards being more self-sufficient. I garden, preserve food, raise chickens, and enjoy doing crafty things that benefit our family. However, we can survive on DH's income without those self-sufficient endeavours, so I didn't check that option on the poll.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 06:14 AM

You're poll is short sighted. I wohm ft, while dh is at home during the day, and at school at night. We are both planning on sharing homeschooling lessons. My job provides enough for us to do both (hs'ing and his schooling.) We could've been an "other" option, but I did not see one.
#4 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 11:10 AM

I checked partner supports us, but could also have checked that it has been a collosal struggle to make ands meet.

If housing were not so expensive his salary would be plenty, housing has been killing us. BUT, our house is on the market now and hopefully will sell quickly! We are moving into on campus housing and will be truly comfortable for the first time ever. Wow. We are so looking forward to this.

Anybody want to buy a house?
#5 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 11:12 AM

I can't vote, because our situation is multi-answered. Budget is tight, even though dh works to pay the bills. We also grow/raise/hunt for our food and we don't feel the need to buy a lot of clothes. We adjust our lifestyle around what our priorities are; and for us, hsing is at the top of our list of priorities, so we make it work.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#6 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 11:20 AM

I'm the homeschooling parent in the house and the main 'bread' winner....

I work F/T and do school F/T--both from home.
dp works p/t in the afternoon out in the world..

and we struggle a lot, but mostly with all the stuff I wish I could get...all the manipulatives that look like so much fun...

But we order what we have to and find the rest online for free.
I guess we spend under $1000 a year on homeschooling--even if you include all the trips and special classes, etc

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#7 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 PM

My DH works and I supplement our income by providing child care to a little girl a couple days a week. This helps us to make ends meet while I homeschool our girls. It is VERY difficult sometimes to make ends meet though.

Wife and SAHM to our two girls and one little man.
#8 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
You're poll is short sighted. I wohm ft, while dh is at home during the day, and at school at night. We are both planning on sharing homeschooling lessons. My job provides enough for us to do both (hs'ing and his schooling.) We could've been an "other" option, but I did not see one.
I wanted it to be multiple choice, but I forgot to select that box, and it's true I should have put an "other" option, but then so many people select that, and it gets unbalanced. I could start another poll, or someone else could... it is always so hard to remember everything when you do a poll.
#9 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Dp supports us (see other thread ). Unfortunately there'll be a day, more than likely not too far away, where we will be financially secure due to inheritance. For now, dh's district pays very nicely for high school teachers.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#10 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Dh works and supports us. I also make and sell things when I can. We are frugal and mostly use the library here for free homeschooling things.

We are having trouble making ends meet, so I am looking for a part time job or two.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 02:44 PM

I choose DH supports us, because that's the best answer. I do work part-time, but we don't "need" the money to pay for basic necessities. The "rich family" option is also somewhat true, not in the "we are Hiltons" type rich, but in the "our parents paid for our college educations so we didn't have to pay student loans" way that has made it easier for us to buy a house and save for retirement & college.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#12 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
I wanted it to be multiple choice, but I forgot to select that box, and it's true I should have put an "other" option, but then so many people select that, and it gets unbalanced. I could start another poll, or someone else could... it is always so hard to remember everything when you do a poll.
No problem! Polls can be tricky to set up.
#13 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 04:53 PM

Dh supports us although making ends meet is a constant struggle. We're currently looking for something like a weekly paper route to supplement income and once I have the baby and she's a little older I'd like to clean a house once a week or so. I'd like to have at least a $200 cushion per month!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#14 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

heket~ I didn't put an option of "my DP stays with the kids full time, and I work", cause I thought that those people wouldn't have any computer time, between working, and being a parent.
#15 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned

I find it more than sexist that you don't have one somewhat obvious choice here:

I work and my DH (or DP) stays home and does the homeschooling.
#16 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
heket~ I didn't put an option of "my DP stays with the kids full time, and I work", cause I thought that those people wouldn't have any computer time, between working, and being a parent.
: Actually, without work, I don't think I'd be on MDC is much as I have...

But still, there are many working moms with SAHPs who are also making homeschool a priority for their family.
#17 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 PM

I voted "my DP supports us and I work at home". I watch 3 kids for a friend of mine for very little money ($200 per week for 3 kids, 11 hours a day for 5 days). But I suppose it helps to make ends meet.
#18 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If I was physically capable of working, I doubt I'd be able to HS my DD- or maybe I'd WAH while HSing her.

But I can't work anyway due to a chronic illness. With HSing I can take things easy physically when I need to, unlike a job where I'd have to drive to work as specified hours or produce a product when the customers demanded it.

I'm still waiting to hear if I've been approved for SSI. Right now we're barely squeaking by- but it's not as if me getting a job is an option anyway.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#19 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
I find it more than sexist that you don't have one somewhat obvious choice here:

Maybe the assumption wasn't sexist, but rather that the at-home parent would be more likely to be the MDC member.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#20 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 PM

I'd add that my older boys go to public school and it isn't any cheaper.
The school supplies pack they are required to buy is $50-$60 and then there's the gym uniform, yearbook and new clothes.

We are only homeschooling two but it is cheaper by far for us.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#21 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't have thought to list that either.
Obviously SAH or WOH Dads could homeschool but in the hundreds of homeschoolers I have met irl and online that hasn't been the case so it would not have occurred to me to make it a choice.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#22 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

my last post..

Quote:
ummmmmmmmm, i think i explained that one already, meg murray. I find it actually funny that someone would call me sexist. quite the exact opposite, actually.

here I was trying to incorporate everyone by using the gay-friendly or flexible term *DP* rather than the restricting *DH* or *DW*. I would not have thought that the WOH fulltime parent would be the one online. thats my false judgment. next poll will be more inclusive. guess ya can't please everyone.
#23 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 11:41 PM

I guess that the poll is interesting to me, b/c while I am lucky that my DH provides for us. Ironically, if we did not HS, our kids would go to private school and in order to afford that I would have to return to work. For us, HSing is actually a more affordable than sending our children to traditional school. Probably at some point or another when the kids are older, I will get some sort of part time job, in order to help save for my kids' college costs. So, even though I'm currently a SAHM, it may not always be that way.
#24 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 12:44 AM

Other. I'm a single mom and I WAH and WOH (taking the kids with me), I get grants from attending college, and I receive child support.
#25 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 01:09 AM

grandma helps out with the books alot. I work a little bit, but my dd is with me. (I tutor two boys). DH has no idea what I spend on school supplies. I will keep it that way for now. I'd rather spend money on her homeschooling now than the therapy that comes from too much socialization later down the road.
#26 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 01:13 AM

The obligatory clarification:

I voted "DP supports us and I work out of the home." DH works FT and is the main breadwinner. I have a small WAHM business and also work outside the home at a couple different jobs, but my children go with me and, continuum style, they learn just by experiencing my work with me. (Of course, one of my jobs is teaching and playing with small children, and the other is in an AP baby boutique, so that works out well!)
#27 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 01:19 AM

My DH supports us.

Quote:
For us, HSing is actually a more affordable than sending our children to traditional school. Probably at some point or another when the kids are older, I will get some sort of part time job, in order to help save for my kids' college costs. So, even though I'm currently a SAHM, it may not always be that way.
Same situation. Thanks for saying it for me.
#28 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 12:23 PM

I said the dh supports us, but we also get child support from both of our ex's. Without it, I would have to WOH.
#29 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
ummmmmmmmm, i think i explained that one already, meg murray. I find it actually funny that someone would call me sexist. quite the exact opposite, actually.
I don't follow. Why would a wohm with a sahd have less time than any other married wohm, or even the single moms? Out of the woh moms and single moms, one might think that the wohm with the sah partner, would have More time out of all of them.

You listed so many other options for "working, and being a parent."

Honestly, I found your explanation to be closer to something like "sexist" than the simple omission. The omission can be somewhat understandably explained by the sheer lack of exposure most people have to that circumstance. Justifying it in the manner...like you had a reason to exclude it on purpose? Why would you exclude it on purpose? Not thinking of it makes more sense, and is nicer than excluding it on purpose, and for bogus reasons.
#30 of 48 Old 08-18-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I guess that the poll is interesting to me, b/c while I am lucky that my DH provides for us. Ironically, if we did not HS, our kids would go to private school and in order to afford that I would have to return to work. For us, HSing is actually a more affordable than sending our children to traditional school.
Similarly, for us too. If we used schools, there are a couple I have mind, and they are expensive. If we did choose that route, it would make more sense for me to woh (but we'd likely also need after-school care) than to sah. But then again, I'd make more than we'd spend on the schools and care, so I guess it would be a net gain.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page