Anyone use Singapore Math or Ray's Arithmetic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-17-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considering Singapore Math or Ray's Arithmetic. Anyone have experience w/either?
#2 of 6 Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I loved Singapore Math. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a whole lot of drill and is VERY colorful and has a lot going on which does not work well with my ds. I get them for them to work on like coloring books, though.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 PM

Singapore works well for my ds. He picks up math fairly quickly and would get bored with a lot of repetition. When we come across a concept that requires a little more practice, I'll print worksheets off the internet for him. Overall I'm pretty pleased with Singapore and we are sticking with it for the present.
#4 of 6 Old 08-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post
I loved Singapore Math. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a whole lot of drill and is VERY colorful and has a lot going on which does not work well with my ds.
If you purchase the Home Instructor's Guides (available for Singapore Primary Math), you'll get mental math drills, supplementary activities, games, answers to textbook and workbook questions, schedules, and instructions for the use of manipulatives (which must be purchased separately). Each lesson is discussed with an eye to helping the parent better understand the important concepts to convey in each lesson, especially useful to a parent who isn't familiar with Asian math.
#5 of 6 Old 08-18-2007, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks! I have been wanting to get back to Singapore Math. We just got MUS Beta and there is so much repetition (we just finished Primer), that the kids will have a week's worth of work unless I make them do basically the same problems every day!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#6 of 6 Old 08-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyBoo View Post
Singapore works well for my ds. He picks up math fairly quickly and would get bored with a lot of repetition. When we come across a concept that requires a little more practice, I'll print worksheets off the internet for him. Overall I'm pretty pleased with Singapore and we are sticking with it for the present.
:

I bought a CD of multiplcation tables set to music for DD. It has printable worksheets on the CD and came wiht flash cards. We also use flash card for addition and subtraction facts along with worksheets off the internet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page