Anyone use Singapore Math or Ray's Arithmetic? - Mothering Forums
Learning at Home and Beyond > Anyone use Singapore Math or Ray's Arithmetic?
mommato8's Avatar mommato8 06:26 PM 08-17-2007
I am considering Singapore Math or Ray's Arithmetic. Anyone have experience w/either?

kittywitty's Avatar kittywitty 09:11 PM 08-17-2007
I loved Singapore Math. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a whole lot of drill and is VERY colorful and has a lot going on which does not work well with my ds. I get them for them to work on like coloring books, though.
LovemyBoo's Avatar LovemyBoo 09:42 PM 08-17-2007
Singapore works well for my ds. He picks up math fairly quickly and would get bored with a lot of repetition. When we come across a concept that requires a little more practice, I'll print worksheets off the internet for him. Overall I'm pretty pleased with Singapore and we are sticking with it for the present.
NoHiddenFees's Avatar NoHiddenFees 11:02 PM 08-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post
I loved Singapore Math. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a whole lot of drill and is VERY colorful and has a lot going on which does not work well with my ds.
If you purchase the Home Instructor's Guides (available for Singapore Primary Math), you'll get mental math drills, supplementary activities, games, answers to textbook and workbook questions, schedules, and instructions for the use of manipulatives (which must be purchased separately). Each lesson is discussed with an eye to helping the parent better understand the important concepts to convey in each lesson, especially useful to a parent who isn't familiar with Asian math.
kittywitty's Avatar kittywitty 02:05 PM 08-18-2007
Thanks! I have been wanting to get back to Singapore Math. We just got MUS Beta and there is so much repetition (we just finished Primer), that the kids will have a week's worth of work unless I make them do basically the same problems every day!
sha_lyn's Avatar sha_lyn 02:17 PM 08-18-2007
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyBoo View Post
Singapore works well for my ds. He picks up math fairly quickly and would get bored with a lot of repetition. When we come across a concept that requires a little more practice, I'll print worksheets off the internet for him. Overall I'm pretty pleased with Singapore and we are sticking with it for the present.
:

I bought a CD of multiplcation tables set to music for DD. It has printable worksheets on the CD and came wiht flash cards. We also use flash card for addition and subtraction facts along with worksheets off the internet.
Up