They met. They knew. They decided to make love. (UPDATE!!! See #47 She's a tramp!) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amazing!! I am afraid of praying mantises, lol. I found one in the garden when I was a kid and it scared the heck out of me and it scarred me for life, rofl !
#32 of 49 Old 09-01-2007, 01:44 AM

To the op, your son's comments had me lol. Oh, and about the slugs, I clicked to see the pic and that big blue penis was a bit frightening lol.
#33 of 49 Old 09-01-2007, 09:10 AM

yeah, I've never seen a slug penis....I think I could have lived a happy life without ever seeing that.

Why are bug mating rituals so violent?! Sheesh!

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#34 of 49 Old 09-02-2007, 03:01 AM

OMG! That's classic!

No bugs here, we did just get our fish tank set up last week and it looks like our one Molly Fish is preggers. This should be an interesting experiment. And no Molly Fish were harmed in the mating ritual.
#35 of 49 Old 09-02-2007, 03:17 AM

Things to be thankful for today: I am not a male mantis. I am not a slug. Thank you God.

Nausea aside, this is a really interesting thread.
#36 of 49 Old 09-23-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, Nature took its course and our green female mantis has laid her eggs, 19 days after mating!!! : (<---- pretend it's just an excited & weird-looking mantid and not dancing broccoli!)

She had been getting fatter and fatter. We weren't sure whether she was developing eggs or just filling-out from eating the moths and crickets we caught and fed her with each day!

(Things you never think you'll do: catching moths, by flashlight, outside, at night, to feed a hopefully-pregnant praying mantis and a huge black widow spider, while your child takes his bath inside!!)

The eggs come out in a frothy "foam" from the rear end of her abdomen. She slowly moves her bottom in a circular/spiral movement while the eggs are being released and this foam then hardens into the tan-coloured protective case. It took about an hour for her to finish.

Anyway, we also captured another praying mantis a few days ago and she laid eggs yesterday on a branch in her habitat container.

Both Moms are still alive and eating the crickets and moths we give them. Both also will drink water from an eye dropper that we give them several times a day + we sprinkle water on the foliage we have placed in their habitats. Our research says they die after laying their eggs They look pretty chipper to us and are still eating well, so who knows. If they continue to live, we will keep them inside, in new habitats (the egg habitats will remain outside all Winter), and feed them purchased crickets.

So, we now had two egg cases to watch next Spring! Hundreds of baby mantids to release in our yard and garden. Cool!
#37 of 49 Old 09-23-2007, 05:44 PM

OK, you definately win the "Cool Mom Of The Year" award! I can not imagine me catching anything much less keeping critters inside my house. I only aspire to be as cool as you someday!!
#38 of 49 Old 09-23-2007, 05:47 PM

That is so cool! I thought about you the other day when truck shopping. There was a praying mantis in the back of the truck we ended up buying. I think it was a sign. I want to find one to keep as a pet - but no luck so far. Instead we have a spider.
#39 of 49 Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 PM

My DS also has caught a PM. DS is 5. We kept it in a bug habitat and went around catching insects for it to eat, too. It was slightly odd to find myself out at night chasing bugs to feed the PM. I DO NOT LIKE BUGS. We also sat up bait stations to catch friut flies for her. She was a very young PM so couldn't eat bigger crickets. We didn't keep her long though. Maybe 7-10 days. All this bug hunting led to indepth discussion of how humans have had to hunt and gather for food since there have not always been grocery stores right across the street. After hunting day after day for insects, DS comes to me and says, "can we please let the PM go so she can hunt for her own food. I'm really glad we can go to the grocery for food. Boy, this sure is hard work. No wonder grocery stores were invented." So, needless to say, we let our PM loose in our huge lavender plant where she looked very happy to be.

Very cool that you now have 2 egg cases to watch next Spring.
#40 of 49 Old 09-23-2007, 08:04 PM

I have enjoyed this thread! Congrats on your two eggcases! Keep us updated on the PM Mamas, please; I am on the edge of my seat to hear if they'll keel over now that they've layed eggs.

Your son sounds so cool!

And home schooling ROCKS!!! : : :
#41 of 49 Old 09-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Experiences like the ones on this thread are one of the reasons i homeschool my dd,kids just can't get the life lessons sitting at a desk that they can get from just living. Earlier in the summer my dd found afuzzy yellow caterpillar and so of course we had to bring it home.I eventually had to got inside to make dinner and i left her in the yard with her new friend. Everthing was ok for about 10 minutes until i heard her screaming,i ran outside to see what was wrong with her only to find out it was because it was crawling on her .Well today as we were walking to the library we saw another caterpillar only this was one of the bald kind(no fuzz) .And what do you know she bent down petted its back,picked it up, and let it crawl on her! It may seem like a small thing but we live in an urban area so we don't see many bugs besides the flying kind and up until today she has always been afraid of bugs so i was really proud of her. I wondered if anyone knows where can i get something like a portable bug enclosure so if we are out walking and see anything interesting we can take it home for an inpromptu science lesson?
#42 of 49 Old 09-24-2007, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

minnowmomma:

Quote:
I wondered if anyone knows where can i get something like a portable bug enclosure so if we are out walking and see anything interesting we can take it home for an inpromptu science lesson?
Try Wal-Mart or a pet store. They have small (maybe 5" x 8" x 5") clear plastic containers designed for mainly small reptiles or hermit crabs. They have slotted tops with a small clear hinged door set into the top (nice to open at feedig time!). Smaller than a lunchbox and they have a carrying handle on top.

We have several of these at our house. I think we paid something like $4.50 for them at Wal-Mart. Our local pet store sells the exact same one for $6.95.

One goes with us on every hike to the lake or around our property.

I wear a fishing vest (with lots of pockets) for all our outings. It is stuffed with mini-zip loc bags (handy for holding owl pellets and dead bugs) and old, clear plastic film canisters (good for lake water samples), a couple of magnifiers (both the jar-types for observing bugs that move fast and another type for just looking), a flashlight (handy for looking into tree hollows and holes in the ground), a knife, a digital camera and a water bottle. It's amazing I can walk!!

I'll keep you informed as to the two ladies post-natal lives. We don't hold much hope for long-term survival.

By the way, ds also has a pillbug (you know, those little roly-poly bugs) habitat. There are a few earthworms in it, as well. That will be coming into the house for the Winter.

The black widow? Well, we have caught several more bw and put them in with the first. She's killed everyone of them and they are wrapped in silk and hanging, mummified, in various parts of the habitat. She is really getting much bigger (like the ones you see in insect exhibits at zoos!). I think we'll put her in the garage (in her container, of course) and see how she fares during the cold months. I've read they sort-of hibernate, so we'll see. If she doesn't make it, oh well (I won't shed any tears for a spider!). If it survives, I'm not sure how much bigger it could get! Ugh, but interesting!

Glad everyone is enjoying this thread! I'll try to keep 'em coming!
#43 of 49 Old 09-24-2007, 01:39 AM

Definitely cool. I don't think we even have praying mantises up here in AK. Or black widows. Aside from a few stinging insects, I know we have dragonflies sometimes and a few butterflies and moths, but my kids have never managed to catch anything.

Crystal
#44 of 49 Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 AM

That is awesome!! Good luck with the egg cases!
#45 of 49 Old 09-25-2007, 03:00 AM

I love it! Those slugs are freakin awesome! I remember a friend that had a fish tank with snails in it and I used to sit for hours watching the snails mate, it was kinda like that, only underwater and they were really tiny.

I don't have any bug mating stories , but I did make a blog (you have to start at the bottom and read up) for our monarch caterpillars/chrysalids/butterflies that I found last month and there are some other cool bugs that made it in too, plus I have a set in my Flickr of all the bugs I saw this summer, I really got into taking pictures of them this year. I hope you guys like them too! We even found a praying mantis just the other day, it was so beautiful!

I don't really homeschool, my son is just two, but I learned a lot about monarchs and other caterpillars just reading about how to take care of the ones I found.

Now I see cool bugs everytime I go outside, its like I have a new perspective

6/9/2005 6/30/2007 10/17/2009 (Ebstein's Anomaly)
#46 of 49 Old 09-25-2007, 09:09 AM

Cool! Please do keep us updated.

I have my own bug story. I did, in fact, kill the other worm. However, my kids found a real tomato hornworm in my parent's garden and he is still alive!!! Here's the scoop if you care to read it http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-zvB.5...yN82gF.Wo?p=93
#47 of 49 Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, my..........

It wasn't love-you-until-forever-and-ever. It was just about SEX!!! One of our females is just a tramp mantid! Disgusting.

But, I might add, interesting!

We were hit with a "herd" of mantids in the yard today. Well, herd sounds like hundreds, it was actually 9. But, that is a LOT when you don't see them all that often!

Anyway, ds and I were having fun with them crawling on us (got a great picture of one on ds's face!). Ds decided that we should put one in with one of the females we have. He felt these were all males that were on our porch and lawn today. He said that female mantids will mate, lay eggs, mate, lay eggs, you get the idea.

So, a slender, brown male was added to Matilda's habitat (Matilda is the green mantis). He decided not to name the male, just in case, you know...........

They scanned each other. It's funny, you can really see mantids looking at something, it's the way they turn and tilt their heads! They did wonderful, halting, dance-like moves toward each other and then, just as the male got within range, BAM! Matilda knocks him across the habitat (maybe a good 6")!!

He must be into S&M, because he headed right back at her, avoided a right cross, jumped on her back, whipped his tail around and proceeded to, well, follow love's course, so to speak..........

They stayed "locked" for about 4 hours and then just stayed side by side.

I had to head off to the gym for an hour and, when I returned, I checked out the loving pair.

She had him in a most loving embrace and was looking into his eyes. Yes, he still had his eyes. However, one arm was gone and she was eating him alive, starting with his thorax, with gusto (like pesto, only more tan. Just kidding...). His legs were moving slowly. It is gastly!!

So, I expect that in about 18 days, after we have spent several dollars on small crickets at the pet store and moved the habitat into a more protected area (lows by this weekend in the 20's!), we will have another egg case making its appearance.

I think we need a mantid smilie!

You gals DID ask for updates!! Remember, be careful what you wish for!
#48 of 49 Old 09-27-2007, 12:31 AM

OMG!! How crazy! Disgusting that she was eating him alive, but hey, that's life, lol. Very neat that you will now get another egg case to care for. Can't wait to hear what else happens!
#49 of 49 Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 AM

Man, who knew a little green insect can get more "action" than me! I'm feeling green with envy...

Now I know what happened to the poor PM we found on our nature walk last week. My dd was like "Uh, I think a dog or something ate it's legs and ewwww it's eye too". Aha! Now I get to tell all about PM love-making in the morning.

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page