~September Eclectic Thread~ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't know how much I've missed by not being on this thread for the past week, but today is our first "official" day of school. I spent most of the weekend getting DD1 and DS ready for school (actual get on the bus and go to the school building kind of school) and then the past 2 days working out various details with the schools (like why nobody seemed to know anything about the full scholarship the principal had promised us) but today they both started and everything seems to be OK, so now I can focus on DD2 during the day.

We bought some stuff for the hamster and then went to the grocery store, and briefly discussed plans for Rosh Hashonna (starting nex Wed night) and all the stuff we need to do before then. I need to get DD off of webkinz (at which point I'll get off MDC) and do some Hebrew together.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 09-17-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is everyone getting along? We have had a lot of interruptions but for the most part, I am okay with being "behind" in schedule. It is even silly sounding to me to type that out!

I do think I've come to terms with not wanting to use the Enki 1st grade curriculum I bought. I have really felt guilty about it because of the money involved. But it was turning into an internal struggle to try and figure out how to make it work. And honestly, if I wanted to keep to a more Waldorf-inspired experience, and use only the Oak Meadow and Enki, then there wouldn't be any problem. But I have discovered I am just much too eclectic for that. I love doing history a la The Well Trained Mind. I love using the Singapore math as a supplement. We are getting along with Handwriting without Tears ... and unfortunately, I just can't make the Enki work with everything else.

So, the goal is to still use the OM as the backbone. And for this fall term, we will go systematically through the alphabet along the pacing of OM, introducing the HWT materials as we go. Also, as we get to the various vowels, we will add those word families to our study (I bought a cool table-top pocket chart and a word family pocket chart pack).

I finally told dh I was conflicted about the Enki and how I couldn't see how to make it work this year. He was totally cool with it. So ... I think I will put those binders to one side of the bookcase and put in the front the things I do use and what works for us.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#33 of 48 Old 09-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gulp. There's a chance I might soon be homeschooling a third-grader as well. I don't even know where to start. Pray for me!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#34 of 48 Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 PM

I need to catch up on reading this thread but thought i should join.My boys are 5 and 3. I'm not so sure we're Eclectic homeschoolers as much as Scattered homeschoolers. But I forge ahead. And my kids are young so I don't stress. : ) Right.

I have the Enki curriculum and take from it as much as I can. We work on a fairly rhythmic day with walks in the morning, and stay home most mornings in the hopes of more settled-in play. We read the Enki stories, and are doing weekly wet-on-wet painting, baking, and modeling. We use to sing a lot but I've slacked on that these days.

Our afternoons are spent in various ways - the boys are taking a "gymnastics" class for homeschoolers on Monday afternoon (toddlers tumbling around on mats), and my 5 year old is in Suzuki violin (lesson on Fridays). I waffle with that. We are considering taking a break from that but that is a long story.

We also are involved with the (somewhat) local Waldorf school. We go to the Toddler program (all of us as a family) every other Saturday and are involved in the Festivals as well. The school has an Enrichment program for homeschoolers starting in the first grade and I plan to send Will next year to that for two days a week.

As for next year --- I need to do some more research but I keep getting pulled back to the idea of using Oak Meadow. I have not seen the curriculum but from what I hear its more laid out on what to do on a weekly basis. I like that idea! However, I LOVE the Teaching Guides from Enki and am so glad that I have that resource.

So thats the short version of us. LOL. I hope to be more active on this thread as it seems to be most like we are homeschooling.
#35 of 48 Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
How is everyone getting along? We have had a lot of interruptions but for the most part, I am okay with being "behind" in schedule. It is even silly sounding to me to type that out!

Pretty good. We are in our third week and we to fell a bit *behind* last week.

DD had some trouble with her english (we decided to try using a grammar and composition book we were given) so I had to go back and re-do some with her. Also she got hung up a bit in Math Power with double digit long division. She actually understands how to do it but got confused the way they asked her to do it so, again, we went back. I am thinking we may need to switch to something else in both those subjects *sigh*. DD has been keeping up with the RS Italian and the reading I've been assigning.

DS pretty much refused to do his workbooks last week and instead spent a lot of time playing Age of Empires and playing outside : He did play Starfall a bit and we've been reading about life in 1776 and the solar system. I know I shouldn'r be so hung up on staying *on schedule* but that's how I am :

DD and DK (daycare kid) have been working on a website they are putting together about mythical creatures and cheering a ton. They had a stunt coach come in this week and Kelsey finally got her full! http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...r/DSCF0043.jpg (she's the one in the orange socks). DH and I are feeling very overwhelmed with her being on two teams and are hoping that with some upcoming reorganization things will get easier.
#36 of 48 Old 09-17-2007, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Gulp. There's a chance I might soon be homeschooling a third-grader as well. I don't even know where to start. Pray for me!
Oh wow! Is this stemming from your thread in the other forum regarding jobs? I should just go over there and catch up (I've been a lurker). Much : to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will View Post
As for next year --- I need to do some more research but I keep getting pulled back to the idea of using Oak Meadow. I have not seen the curriculum but from what I hear its more laid out on what to do on a weekly basis. I like that idea! However, I LOVE the Teaching Guides from Enki and am so glad that I have that resource.

So thats the short version of us. LOL. I hope to be more active on this thread as it seems to be most like we are homeschooling.
I do love the weekly "schedule" in Oak Meadow. I think that is why I was drawn to it last year after we had already started with Enki. I really enjoyed Enki K but so needed a bit more guidance, shall we say. After thisyear, I may not continue with OM (and I'm 99% sure I won't with Enki as I'm not even really using it this year) ... but it did help me get started, that is for sure. I also really like the science/nature part of both K and 1st. I might do it next year just for that reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb View Post
DD and DK (daycare kid) have been working on a website they are putting together about mythical creatures and cheering a ton. They had a stunt coach come in this week and Kelsey finally got her full! http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...r/DSCF0043.jpg (she's the one in the orange socks). DH and I are feeling very overwhelmed with her being on two teams and are hoping that with some upcoming reorganization things will get easier.
That is an awesome picture! But, could you explain what a "full" is to a non-cheerleading-background mama?

#37 of 48 Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:

That is an awesome picture! But, could you explain what a "full" is to a non-cheerleading-background mama?

Thanks! A *full* is when they push the flyer (girl they are lifting) up with their arms fully extented. It's actually sometimes called an extention. the stunt with their arms down at shoulder level is called a *half* or an *extention prep*. This is a pryamid with three extention preps: http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...r/DSCF0378.jpg

Kelsey has been working for a month and a half trying to get this stunt so this is very exciting for her.
#38 of 48 Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM

This is our first "real week" of school- last week was cut short due to Rosh Hashonna and the week before that we were just getting set up- we "do school" on the days that the other two are attending school- things just get too crazy otherwise. Our HS routine involves the two of us having time with just the two of us, not with all the kids home.

Yesterday I took DD to an art class with the local HS group. Well, I say "local group" but it was a 45 minute drive away, so that pretty much wiped me out. We didn't do any other school work yesterday- or housework either for that matter!

Today we caught up on dishes and laundry and DD cleaned the hamster cage, we figured out what to make for dinner (organizing some menu planning stuff in the process), and then did some Hebrew. Instead of just using her Hebrew book, we went online and went over some new vocabulary words. Then DD read a little bit from her Hebrew book just to get some reading practice.

Then we each had a little "down time" and DD ended up falling asleep. She's still napping now.

It's starting to feel strange having 2 in school and one at home. Last year it wasn't as strange because they were in a less structured school. I'm starting to wonder if I'm being too lax with DD2 or if my other kids are being overly pressured. All seem happy though.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#39 of 48 Old 09-18-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
All seem happy though.
That too me would be key! You know, if it ain't broke ...

Are you conflicted though in that you think you should send your hs'd dd to school? Or up the notch at home? Or bring the other two home? Or just wondering out loud if everything really is going well?

#40 of 48 Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
That too me would be key! You know, if it ain't broke ...

Are you conflicted though in that you think you should send your hs'd dd to school? Or up the notch at home? Or bring the other two home? Or just wondering out loud if everything really is going well?
Just wondering aloud if everything is really going well, and second-guessing myself every time one of the kids has a minor problem at school.

#41 of 48 Old 09-18-2007, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No one reads my blog and I am feeling sad. Someone read it and give me some love!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#42 of 48 Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 PM

I think today was "tired day." Oh, wait, that doesn't help, does it? You want something to distinguish days from one another, not another way to make them all the same.

#43 of 48 Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I think today was "tired day." Oh, wait, that doesn't help, does it? You want something to distinguish days from one another, not another way to make them all the same.
Yea, we'd often have a lot of "fried-mommy" days as the toddler is being, well, very toddler-ish right now.

#44 of 48 Old 09-19-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

So, I have determined that we cannot do anything that involves pencils, pens, crayons, scissors, or anything related while ds#3 (15 months) is awake. : Oh my goodness ... he is in to everything and throws HUGE tantrums when I try to redirect or *gasp* remove an object from his mouth or hands (in the case of scissors). He climbs like there is no tomorrow ... he will be up on the dining room table in a heartbeat ... it is absolutely exhausting, especially when combined with my oldest's insatiable desire to "do school" right now. Of course, said toddler has yet to take a nap today ... so we've done very little except get mom's blood pressure up a few notches. I do pray this stage passes rather quickly ...

#45 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

For math, we're doing a Waldorf-style MLB on the quality of numbers (one is the sun, the earth, myself; two is duality; three is the Trinity, etc) We're also doing Miquon math, but Waldoring it up with gnomes and treasur.
I saw this on your blog! I can't read all of your cards though. Would you mind sharing what they say. And, where did this idea originally came from?

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#46 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 06:02 PM

BTW....I read your blog before you asked for it silly. It's really sweet.

I'm the one who wants to mix some Waldorf into our Math U See.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#47 of 48 Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 PM

I know its October but I've been reading this thread with much interest. We came from a very waldorfy background. We were introduced to waldorf when dd#1 was 1. She went to 2 years of waldorf-inspired preschool and 1 year of waldorf kinder. We pulled her out last year. We used Enki kinder/grade 1 last year. Continuing with grade 1 the rest of this year and then starting grade 2 next year. Enki works for us and its easier for me being a new homeschooling parent to have things at my finger tips.

I think we'll continue with Enki grade 2 next year but I'd like to hear about what others have done to integrate other curriculums. I'm quite intrigued by unschooling as well and trying to figure out how I can add more of that into our day. Right now, we do our walk/movement in the morning, followed by 45-60 minutes morning lesson. Then play, lunch, rest time. And about 30-45 minutes practice or crafts in the afternoon. Sometimes we do 3 days of school, some weeks 4.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself here. And going off to look up all the different acronyms (MLB,...).
#48 of 48 Old 10-08-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma View Post
I know its October but I've been reading this thread with much interest. We came from a very waldorfy background. We were introduced to waldorf when dd#1 was 1. She went to 2 years of waldorf-inspired preschool and 1 year of waldorf kinder. We pulled her out last year. We used Enki kinder/grade 1 last year. Continuing with grade 1 the rest of this year and then starting grade 2 next year. Enki works for us and its easier for me being a new homeschooling parent to have things at my finger tips.

I think we'll continue with Enki grade 2 next year but I'd like to hear about what others have done to integrate other curriculums. I'm quite intrigued by unschooling as well and trying to figure out how I can add more of that into our day. Right now, we do our walk/movement in the morning, followed by 45-60 minutes morning lesson. Then play, lunch, rest time. And about 30-45 minutes practice or crafts in the afternoon. Sometimes we do 3 days of school, some weeks 4.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself here. And going off to look up all the different acronyms (MLB,...).
Welcome! Here is the link to the October thread. I can't write now, but will later.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page