Does your 6yo know these things? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 122 Old 09-23-2007, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
ha ha, don't drag me back into it! i was out 2 pages ago!!
Me too. I'm done. I can't think of a single thing more I want to say on the subject. Hey-- thanks for the links in the other threads, btw!

But I thought it was a great conversation, even if we don't all see eye to eye. I think that's cool, really.
#122 of 122 Old 09-26-2013, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow, my initial impression of the OP's list is that it is a crazy high benchmark for a 6-yr-old, and i expect not to care if the kiddo learns that stuff by any particular age, except one that seems appropriate, which i won't know until i know what my kid is like. but i still have so much reading & learning to do, so don't quote me on that. my ideas about unschooling are very loosely formed at the moment.

but i am VERY curious to see the variety of replies here. loooong thread, though, so i'm subscribing to come back & read later.

i will just say one thing... i mostly did elementary education at a high-caliber private school, and it did what they meant for it to do, in that everything from 7th grade through 10th was cake at a public school, and then i mostly unschooled myself for 11th grade and went straight to a highly selective private college, on scholarship, at 16. it wasn't just the education they dictated to me, it's also that i was very motivated and anxious to be around an older, more academically driven/engaged set of "peers". but i can say with certainty that i know i was never BEHIND on my curriculum compared to where other kids were, and i was obviously at least a little ahead. and that stuff sounded like 2nd & 3rd grade stuff to me, so that's why i immediately raised an eyebrow, thinking it seemed unreasonable. i mean, we didn't do times tables until 3rd grade, unless i'm just remembering wrong!?

if i'm not, and kids are being driven to be at higher & more sophisticated levels of competency at increasingly early grades, well then, aside from all the balking that would make me want to do b/c there's a point when it's just ridiculous (they're kids!!!), i am wondering, why does it actually seem like high school and undergrad students are the opposite – increasingly unable to write or use even basic math, like geometry, in practical applications? it just seems weird to me that the standards sound higher than ever, but the results seem poorer than ever. probably it's partly a perception thing, and people aren't really coming out of school less well educated, right? but i could swear they say this is true on NPR all the time???

sorry for all my random rambles / thinking aloud before i've even read the thread! redface.gif

will be TTC in 11/2013 w/ frozen donor sperm via at-home ICI.  queer, 32.  DW is 41.  partners.gif married 9 yrs. stillheart.gif

treehugger.gif  joy.gif sewmachine.gif   knit.gif  goorganic.jpg   notes2.gif  and soon   bftoddler.gif familybed1.gif  malesling.GIF    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page