hs-ing with toddlers : support thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not read this thread yet (but will later).

I just have to say to you for starting this thread!

Homeschooling is easy but I was about to go completely insane doing with a toddler around. We've finally had to make school in the evenings when he's asleep, seriously.

I can't wait to talk to you ladies about the insanity.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#32 of 51 Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM

I'm in!

I have a 16yo who is gone to College, a 10yo who is highly distractable and a spirited 2yo who never knew the meaning of "nap". :

I will see if I can build a box of special activities for "school time" but I might just take my neighbour's offer to take my toddler for a few hours - the only thing that hold me back is that they are seniors and she can be very demanding and I wouldn't want to burn them

Valérie   
#33 of 51 Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 PM

LOVE this thread... I had been meaning to post something similar, but never got around to it. I think the tempermant of your toddler/preschooler makes a big difference too. My 3y.o. ds is way more "spirited" (I'm trying to be positive here!) than his older brother was at the same age. If my 8y.o. ds and I are trying to read a book, he is trying to take it out of my hands and yelling "my book, my book!" If we are trying to do math with manipulatives he is trying to take his brothers, throwing them etc. (even though I give him some of his own). You get the idea... it is definitely a challenge!

So we did enroll him in a 2 day a week preschool at the local community center. He likes it, so it is working for now. My older son and I go to the nearby library or just bring our work to the community center and do work there. They also have an amazing pool there, so the three of us also go swimming one day a week.

To be honest, I also let my younger son watch a one or two shows on PBS some mornings when we are trying to work. I am really trying to limit other tv time so that I can feel less guilty!

I would love more ideas on things to keep him busy and happy while we are working.

ABand3, can you give us some more of the activities that are in the ziplock bags?
#34 of 51 Old 09-26-2007, 10:58 PM

we've had a rough couple of days. We went to an exhibit at our science museum yesterday but I couldn't read anything to my 5 yo because my 2yo screamed every time I tried. And she kept running away and I'd have to go retrieve her. Today wasn't much better. We got lots of new books in the mail and my son wanted to look through them and read them but my toddler kept grabbing them and running away or climbing on him so he couldn't look at the books, etc. She did take a nap, though, so he was able to do an early reader (he read his first book today by himself!) and do some pages in his math workbook. We aren't having as much reading time together as we would like but we were able to do a bit. It's hard, though, because her nap is the only time that I'm not feeling crazy but my son needs my attention during that, because it is also his only time. And I think I'm suppose to be cleaning up the kitchen and making dinner but I'm not sure when that's suppose to happen. : :
#35 of 51 Old 09-26-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackysmama View Post
It's hard, though, because her nap is the only time that I'm not feeling crazy but my son needs my attention during that, because it is also his only time. And I think I'm suppose to be cleaning up the kitchen and making dinner but I'm not sure when that's suppose to happen. : :
This is what my day looks like, EVERY day!!!
#36 of 51 Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
Oh no, no way! I think we ALL need help. We were not meant to be living in this crazy isolated nuclear family situation. What you describe sounds wonderful and sounds like what extended family and community would be doing years ago or in tradiitonal society.

We may look into hiring someone a few hrs a week, but I'm not sure how; we're struggling already financially.

I couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, we don't live anywhere near our family and friends and I dream of moving back home to have that support again. It is so important and I know my kids are missing out because of our lack of "community" here.
#37 of 51 Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 PM

Love the idea of this group. I have a 5 year old (kindergarden), a almost 2 year old, and one due begining of Nov. We do a very unstuctured schooling aproch, but it is still really hard some days.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#38 of 51 Old 09-27-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b&c'smama View Post
ABand3, can you give us some more of the activities that are in the ziplock bags?
Rather than retype, I'm going to try to get a copy of the document listing the activities, which I can then email to those who want it. PM me your address if you want it (assuming I get a copy and can share).
#39 of 51 Old 09-27-2007, 02:38 AM

Me to..I'm in! I have a 5 year old DD, 3.5 year old DD, 20 month old DD and 5 month old DS..I feel like life is crazy!!: We have been mainly following a VERY relaxed approach to homeschool kindergarten this year.. Lots of crafts, well they draw, do playdoh..The older 2 at least I have to keep Indigo from eating it or scratching her baby brothers face! We do the more "structured" stuff when the babies are asleep. I look forward to reading more on this thread! Oh yeah...I also struggle with field trips and such, how do I take them all along ??(hubbie works away Mon-Fri)

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#40 of 51 Old 09-27-2007, 06:59 AM

My 4 and 2 yr. old both love circle time in the morning. They get upset when its over, so I keep making it longer and longer and start incorporating the lesson into it. Then we break for some free play. 4y.o. doesnt like when the baby knocks his figures he's set up over. Or later, I'll try to read a story and 2y.o. will want to "read" one to us instead, making it impossible to finish the story and 4 y.o. I can tell is disappointed.

I dont know what to do about it, we just try to find a better time to do what we want to do when we can.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#41 of 51 Old 09-29-2007, 12:21 AM

bumping to see if we can get any more wonderful ideas about what to do with our wonderful toddlers!
#42 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 04:02 AM

Susiek, every mom is different, some need lots of help with 1 and then I have a friend with 6 who has never had any help (and she's still sane!). I think the most important thing is do what works for you and your family. The whole point of homeschooling surely is to shake off the comparing. Personally, I also have help with a sitter who comes a few hours a week and I still don't get any school done ! (Not kidding).

I would just like to be reassured that it will work out OK and my eldest dd is not suffering for being home. She is very bright and she is not stretched to the best of her ability because I DON"T HAVE THE TIME! Will that improve as she becomes and independant reader and doesn't need my imput for everything?

So far, as much as I can tell from homeschooling for a year the most important factor is mom. If mom is good, then everything is good! In fact sometimes I feel like I AM my children's curriculum and the most essential thing is for them to see me happy, relaxed and enjoying being with them KWIM?

And if you lose your sense of humor then you are under too much stress, so make sure you laugh and enjoy yourself. (Especially with toddlers around).
#43 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 11:28 AM

Bella is finally getting to be a real person! : This means that she can be left alone for a few minutes at a time without shrieking. It's fantastic! Yay Bella!

My kids are all pretty close together. On the downside, it means that when SeaMonkey arrives I'll have a bunch of little kids running around. On the upside, it means that after only 2.5 years of that, I'll have three school aged children and one preschool aged child, and life will be much easier. I try to live in the moment, and remember that while BeanBean will be a really bright, eager child, with no danger of becoming disenchanted with learning, for at least another five years, Bella will only be a chunkity, mini Bella for two. We do what we can for BeanBean and BooBah, but I try not to beat myself up too much for not being able to literally be in four or five places at once. I have my periods of extreme doubt and misery, but I try not to let them eat me.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#44 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 AM

I need this thread! I have a 7,5,3, and 8 mo old and our 3 yr old is driving me bonckers! He will not cooperate during school and when we do our movement circle he drops "dead" in the middle of our path. He destructs the house in a matter of minutes and covers his body with peanut butter, blueberry smoothie as well as anything in reaching distance.He throws temper tantrums if he doens't get what he wants and then knocks the baby over if he is sitting..."to teach him to crawl." My 5 yr old will take him and play for the most part that has been the best way to keep him out of trouble, but this year she is in k and I need to devote time to her.

My strategies;
tie him up with rope in a chair (kidding!)
give him a project to work on in the morning before i do school with the others finger paints,finger crochet,clay,beeswax modeling clay etc.
buy some new "school" only toys that are educational (this worked last year)
give him a stamp pad and some stamps...for his body (if we get desperate!)
and if all else fails call grandma and grandpa and beg them to come get him!!
#45 of 51 Old 10-11-2007, 10:43 AM

I need to bump this thread!!
This week has not been great toddler wise. He takes everything from his brother, pushes him out of the way if they are sitting side by side for stories etc. I am of course redirecting and working with him to find more appropriate ways to interact, but until then, it is has been very difficult. If I'm sitting then he wants to nurse - feet kicking books etc.

The toys I have out can cause ds1 to lose focus.

I know little by little this will improve but wow has this week been a challenge :
#46 of 51 Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 AM

I'm here! I'm homeschooling my almost six year old this year and I also have a 2.5 year old, a 1 year old and I'm due in Jan.
#47 of 51 Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duchess View Post
So far, as much as I can tell from homeschooling for a year the most important factor is mom. If mom is good, then everything is good! In fact sometimes I feel like I AM my children's curriculum and the most essential thing is for them to see me happy, relaxed and enjoying being with them KWIM?

And if you lose your sense of humor then you are under too much stress, so make sure you laugh and enjoy yourself. (Especially with toddlers around).
:
I think this is so true! I have been PMSing and really crabby the last few days and we have had really bad days! I am really going to work on this today!
#48 of 51 Old 10-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
My strategies;
tie him up with rope in a chair (kidding!)
#49 of 51 Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 AM

my strategy of late, let them literally destroy the house so I can work with the 10 yr old. So far its totally worth it
#50 of 51 Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBaby'sSmile View Post
I need to bump this thread!!
This week has not been great toddler wise.
I know little by little this will improve but wow has this week been a challenge :
thanks for bumping! I've been having a very rough couple of weeks, toddler stuff not helping one bit..:..dd has decided not to nap more days than not, which make life very very hard...gotta run now but i'll be back when I can.
#51 of 51 Old 10-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Can I join! We are homeschooling our oldest daughter who is almost 6 and in Grade one and then we have DD 3yrs and DD 18months Life is busy and the younger ones unfortuntley don't nap anymore

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page