Books read to/by your kids today - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papooses View Post
Today we read The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl (+ I just found this quiz)
A couple of years ago, i tried to read that to my youngest and she made me stop! lol Dahl is brilliant in an insane sort of way. We've read Matilda a couple of times now...lol She loves that one, but she could not hold out on Magic Finger until the shooter got his. lol
#32 of 50 Old 09-29-2007, 11:02 AM

dd - age 4

Madeline
Madeline's xmas
Silly and Sillier [in this list this is the only one we read for the first time. All others are repeats]
Berenstain Bears visit doctor
Berenstain Bears visit dentist
Spot does something I forget what
Where's my Blankie?
Cat in the Hat

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
#33 of 50 Old 09-29-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

XH finally made it up to see the kids this weekend, so I'm on my own. But since he was almost 5 hours late, I had plenty of time to read to them.

We read the last few chapters to finish up The Midwife's Apprentice (Cushman) and were all so disappointed when it was over; my 5yo wanted me to start reading it all over again! It never fails tot amaze me how fast we can go through chapter books sometimes. Just last week we had two going at the same time, and now I'm at the library about to start looking for a new one.

We also read "Grandma Rosa's Bowl" from Girls to the Rescue (Lansky), and Leo read us Tabitha's Terrifically Tough Tooth (Nicholas) several times in the car. He also look through/read a stack of books over a foot high on the couch this morning. His passion is overwhelming.

#34 of 50 Old 09-29-2007, 11:10 PM

Today we finished Mr. Popper's Penguins. 6 yo ds looooved it!!!!

Mama to three  
#35 of 50 Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM

My big two sat together to read and/or flip through:
Sea Creatures
The Big Golden Book of Animals
The Complete Book of Animals

Individually I've seen them with some Word Bird books, My Alphabet Book series (I asked them to dig them out for their little brother, they both sat down reading several as a result), a Bionicle comic book, a poetry book (forget the title), and some dry erase practice books.

My 2yo nearly cleared out half a shelf of children's books while trying to poop on her toddler potty (here in the living room). One book at a time she'd come back to her potty and slowly flip through one. I saw all sorts of stuff, from The Snow Child to Before I Multiply and Divide.

My 3.5yo played with some of the noisy books, and worked on memorizing a Thomas one. Brought me a couple smaller story books, Curious George's Dream and a noisy Tazmanian Devil one.

Other than the few my littles have asked me or their big sibs to read, I haven't read much. We'll read another chunk of Robin Hood (an adapted version) sometime this evening.
#36 of 50 Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Today older ds started magic treehouse #11, "Lions at Lunchtime." We recently ordered through his friends scholastic thing from school and got this awesome set of story books about grammar. They're really cute, one about punctuation, run on sentance, correcting mistakes, etc. Ds read at least 4 of them today (they're a 10 book set.)

Little ds, Critter Books. Tons and tons of Critter books. Also, a few books by the writer of "Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type." Today was "Giggle Giggle Quack."

We read a ton of books, all day long.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#37 of 50 Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 PM

You all have brought to mind so many great books that my kids and I have loved!!

We are reading an older book called Hitty: Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field and it's very fun to read. DD also just read Carry On Mr. Bowditch (all about sailing and navigation) by Jean Lee Latham. We love the whole wardrobe series by CS Lewis.

Anyone else reading the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#38 of 50 Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 PM

We've really enjoyed the Heptimus Heap series a bunch. We did not like the Hitty doll book. . (Well, we kind of liked it at first-- we kept thinking it would get better). We plowed through to the end because we felt obligated, but we did not enjoy it. (And don't ask me why we feel obilgated to some books--- we could not eaily answer). I also can't say why we didn't enjoy it, but we kept hoping it was over as we read each chapter. Maybe we are just lame.
#39 of 50 Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Monday

Marian and Leo both read all kinds of random stuff today. from parts of magazines to book jackets to street signs and cereal boxes and everything in between.

In addition, I also read them all:

I Love Cats (Matthias)

The Family Book (Parr)

Song for the Whooping Crane (Spinelli)

Possum's Harvest Moon (Hunter)

"Carla and the Greedy Merchant" from Girls to the Rescue (Lansky)

the first two chapters of The Littles (Peterson), our new read aloud

and we listened to another chapter of The Golden Compass (Pullman)

and several passages from the Tao Te Ching
#40 of 50 Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 AM

Black Ships before Troy to my 12yo & 7yo
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle to my 7yo and two 5yo's
Betsy Tacy & Tib - my 7yo is reading that one on her own
#41 of 50 Old 10-02-2007, 02:52 AM

Ds read The Mongolian Art of War (in between re-reading his latest issue of Military History Monthly, this should tell you all you need to know about my boy )
#42 of 50 Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

We had a bit of a marathon this morning at work. Not your average gym childcare, I tell ya. Those kids had 24 books read to them.

Hansel & Gretel (Patience)
Jack and the Beanstalk (Patience)
Goodnight Moon (Brown)
Winnie-the-Pooh Tells Time (Milne, Shepherd)
Winnie-the-Pooh ABC (Milne, Shepherd)
Winnie-the-Pooh 123 (Milne, Shepherd)
Winnie-the-Pooh Opposites (Milne, Shepherd)
Winnie-the-Pooh Colors (Milne, Shepherd)
Mother Goose's Humpty Dumpty and Friends
Curious George and the Bunny (Ray)
PlayTime with Big Bird (Gorbaty)
Barneys's Alphabet Soup
Santa's Workshop
Rainbow Duck (Lodge)
It's Not Easy Being a Bunny (Sadler)
Things That Go (Midal)
Corduroy's Halloween (Freeman)
Now, Soon, Later (Grunwald)
Dinosaur Train (Gurney)
Kiara's Colors
Itsy Bitsy Spider (Spangler)
My Big Bright World (Gabriel)
The Moon in my Room (McGrew)
Polly Squawks (Parent)
Care Bears Bedtme Bear (Knight)
Gandhi (Mitchell)
2 chapters from The Littles (our current chapter book)
and one disc from The Golden Compass (Pullman) unabridged audio

The Gandhi book was great. Juvenile nonfiction from the library--lengthy and meaty without dragging, intelligent without being too complicated, and captured my oldest's interest and she wants to learn more. Happy birthday, Gandhi!
#43 of 50 Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 AM

Dani,11 read chapter 10 of Little House in the Big Woods today.
Timmy,7 read pages 1-8 of the first Harry Potter book.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#44 of 50 Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 AM

Tonight DH did stories with Niamh so I am not sure what he read (Niamh picked). Rhys and I read the first 5 stories from HarperCollins Treasury of Picture Book Classics. I really like this book even though I already own several of the books in it. Its a great collection and unlike 20th century it has all the pictures of the original (but only 12 stories so that is the trade off).

Also read 2 chapters from Wizard of Oz and some other random books earlier in the day (and Niamh insisted on reading Caps for Sale to me...she did pretty well too given that she is reciting from memory).

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#45 of 50 Old 10-03-2007, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Right now we are reading the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman....we breezed through The Golden Compass, and was halfway through The Subtle Knife when my son (will be 11 in a few weeks)decided he had to go on, and now he's nearly done. Hopefully tomorrow i'll catch up and we can get the final book from the library.

We're enjoying the series a whole lot, there's a movie coming out soon, so it will be interesting to see how they do it.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#46 of 50 Old 10-07-2007, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

We've been reading fall books all week, and we finished reading The Littles, so I'll need to pick out a new chapter book.
#47 of 50 Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 AM

Dh reads to us at night. He finished the second Harry Potter and will start The Westing Game tonight.

I read to dd, nearly 9, during the afternoons. I just finished the first Nancy Drew a few days ago and a few chapters on the D'Aulaires book on Norse Myths. I'll get back to the myth book tomorrow or maybe this afternoon.

We haven't read together today because she had a sleepover guest who just left. I don't think she's read anything besides her Pokedex today LOL
#48 of 50 Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 AM

I've completely lost count.

Big ds chose a new Magic School Bus book at a used book fair yesterday, his nose has been stuck in that a lot. I saw him picking up a Magic Treehouse book to read on his own accord, twice! That had me doing a happy dance! It is well within his reading ability, he's a very good reader, but I've yet to see him reading anything but picture books for enjoyment. I carefully steered his younger sibs away from him and didn't call him to the task he'd previously been asked to do for a good 40 minutes while he sat there flipping through it. He's also grabbed a few smaller books that are largely print with very little pictures, and read them instead of putting them back in the shelf. Had me very pleasantly surprised when he started telling me tales of Peter Rabbit, a book he's always ignored.

Big dd has been seen in a Word Bird book, a nursery rhyme book, The Golden Book of Animals, a Barbie something from the book fair, and she attempted reading a few board books to her very busy little sister.

Little ds can't get enough alphabet story books in, he got a Tonka tractor book with wheels on it from the book fair, every Thomas book in the house has been lugged under his arm throughout the week.

Little dd has gone through every board book in the house I think.
#49 of 50 Old 10-16-2007, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Very cool, Moon! We're reading some MTH books as a family right now, and I can see Marian picking them up on her own down the road.

We've been reading lots of fall, pumpkin, Halloween chapter books, and the other day my xMIL read them all a giant stack of Pooh books. Today we read a chapter each from our 2 current chapter books.
#50 of 50 Old 10-16-2007, 07:27 AM

GranolaMoon, the same thing occured with my daughter. For enjoyment, she's been reading comics like Tintin, Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes. (NOTHING wrong with those! She's learned a lot of vocabulary and practices making comic panels...lots of good stuff there) But one day she picked up a Magic Treehouse book and immediately buried herself in it. She burns through those!

We've only been up for an hour and she's read a book on electricity, (don't know the title cuz I'm too lazy to get up and look...it's one of those How Things Work kind of books), parts of a Tintin (she likes to pick one up and go straight to her favorite parts) and a couple of Pokemon comics.

Plans for today are for me to read some Nancy Drew chapters and dad to read some chapters of The Cat Who Wanted to be a Man chapters (almost done!). I have no idea what she'll pick up to read but I'll report back when the day is done LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page