Books read to/by your kids today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2007, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought this could be an ongoing fun thread to list books we've read to our kids or that they've read themselves each day. We could give basic lists, or detailed reviews, or whatever. I'm always open to more book ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 08:11 PM

Today I read "Is There Really a Human Race" in co-op and then DS1 is reading "The Phantom Tollbooth". That will likely be the extent of our reading today. We were supposed to finish reading the Epic of Gilgamesh but they simply are not interested.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I can't remember what else we read yesterday, but we finished one of our chapter books--Marigold and the Feather of Hope, book one of four in The Fairy Chronicles.

DD1 gave it a big thumbs up and is eager for the library to receive the next ones. It was a quick and painless read-aloud on my part, though not very meaty.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Today we read -
I Am A Homeschooler - an account of a 9yo girl homeschooling on a farm.
The last couple chapters of The Little Prince.
Cathedral - by David McCauley (?I think)
Part of Merlin and the Making of the King, parts of The World Of King Arthur and His Court

And he finished his Inuyasha book and had to tell me alllllllllll about it. I understood none of it.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Shamefully, we haven't read any books today ... YET

Instead, the dog woke us early (on my day to sleep in We both still have headaches from being sick -- we decided to just picnic outside for breakfast, took a little stroll collecting stuff to make a Family Tree display (real branchs to attach paper leaves with person's name, etc. + nature collage behind) & then just played board/card games before my Jazz class She came with me to that & now we're home: we'll have dinner, then I'll read some more Inkheart by Cornelia Funke :
Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 PM

Its actually been a light reading day so far. I read 2 Robert Munsch books (Boo and Class Clown) and 2 chapters from The Wizard of Oz (DS has asked twice because of the Glenda doll we have hanging around from a McDonald's Happy Meal a few months ago LOL so I pulled it down off the shelf for him.

I think there was another book as well but I am drawing a total blank!

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 PM

My 10 yos is reading Starlight from the Warriors series. He loves these books. They are about cats and their society. Good imagination stuff. I would have loved it when I was younger!

Seabird by Holling C. Holling. I didn't like these books originally. But, we read Paddle to the Sea and ALL of my boys were engaged. We could get an hour or two out of every "chapter" and I think that says a lot about a book around here.
I would rather read a little bit of something that set off a lot of imagination and conversations and natural projects than a lot of something that just tinkles out of their ears while I read.

Father Bear Comes Home a book for my 7 year to read aloud to me

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 PM

DD & I just read I Love You Stinky Face & several of the books from Henry & Mudge. This is actually a blessing for us b/c DD has not wanted me to read to her in about 3 weeks. Tonight she finally asked if I would please read to her & I am overjoyed :

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
Old 09-27-2007, 10:52 PM

Today my 13yo read:

a chapter of Locked Rooms by Laurie R. King
George vs.George by Rosalyn Schanzer
and finished up Finishing Becca by Ann Rinaldi
(hows that for variety )
I will be reading to her from Montmorency; Doctor, Aristocrat, Murderer before bed.

DD loves anything Ann Rinaldi and so that got a thumbs up. She also liked George Vs.George but was rather insulted that I asked her to read it because 1) it was a picture book and 2) *I (she) already know about George III!*. We are both really enjoying Montmorency and will be looking up the other's in the series when we are done.

I read to 8yo ds and 11yo DD

three chapters of The Young Reader's Shakespeare version of Macbeth
5 pages of The American Revolution by Bruce Lancaster
Several chapters of 2095 (time warp trio)
and a chapter of the WITCH book The Courage to Change

Both are enthralled with Macbeth as they were with Hamlet. Ds likes The American Revolution, but then he would as there are lots of battle descriptions LOL!

DD read the beginning reader Rain, Rain, Rain outloud.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:09 PM

Our read aloud today was an adapted Robin Hood.

I have no idea what all the kids read. My youngest alone has gone through a dozen board books, and our big Butterflies and Moths book. Right now she's at my feet flipping through what looks like an Arther counting book. I saw her reading a Shrek book on the toddler ppotty in the kitchen earlier.

Big ds read a Golden Book Beauty and the Beast to his sister. He had his nose in Bionicle stuff several times. There are several more I can't remember.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:20 PM

We haven't read much today ... I feel like we were running around most of the day. But, we did spend time *in* the bookstore if that counts! For read-alouds, we've done:

Go Diego Go: Diego Saves the Sloth
Plaid to the Bone (Time Warp Trio graphic novel)
Mercy Watson: Princess in Disguise (dh is reading it right now - he LOVES Mercy Watson )

We'll read a few more before bedtime ... I'm guessing we'll finish the Time Warp Trio book, read a few Backyardians books (the boys just discovered Backyardians as we *just* got cable , and who knows what else ...

I had grand plans of reading a short story from our OM curriculum, a nature story from the same, plus some creation stories from here or here.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 09-28-2007, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thursday:

5 chapters in The Midwife's Apprentice (Cushman) ch 8-12
Rise the Moon (Spinelli)
Turnagain Ptarmigan! Where Did You Go? (Guenther)
Knuffle Bunny (Willems)
Horatio's Bed (Ashforth)
No Jumping on the Bed (Arnold)
The Magic Kerchief (Larson)
15 tracks of The Golden Compass (Pullman) on CD
eta All for Fall (Kessler)

No Jumping on the Bed got many laughs, Rise the Moon has beautiful illustrations, and The Midwife's Apprentice is in great demand and at this rate we'll finish it tomorrow. The Ptarmigan books triggered some great discussions on birds, alpine valleys (we live in one), and camouflage.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWhit View Post
Thursday:

5 chapters in The Midwife's Apprentice (Cushman) ch 8-12
Rise the Moon (Spinelli)
Turnagain Ptarmigan! Where Did You Go? (Guenther)
Knuffle Bunny (Willems)
Horatio's Bed (Ashforth)
No Jumping on the Bed (Arnold)
The Magic Kerchief (Larson)
15 tracks of The Golden Compass (Pullman) on CD

No Jumping on the Bed got many laughs, Rise the Moon has beautiful illustrations, and The Midwife's Apprentice is in great demand and at this rate we'll finish it tomorrow. The Ptarmigan books triggered some great discussions on birds, alpine valleys (we live in one), and camouflage.

Oh, I loved the Midwife's Apprentice! I loved most of her books actually.

Horatio's bed was much read when my kids were younger. I still have a copy that I bring out now and again to read and feel nostalgic.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:36 AM

The Devil's Arithmetic (Jane Yolen) was a big hit today. She just started it as a follow up to Anne Frank. Also, Amelia Hits the Road (Marissa Moss).

Trish: Mama to Buckaroo , Sweet P :, and Obo Difficult wife of Rick :
Old 09-28-2007, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
DS1 is reading "The Phantom Tollbooth".
I loved that book as a kid! I have a copy; I'll add it to our ever-growing read-aloud list.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 AM

So far, Heather the Violet Fairy. Daisy Meadows is the author of a UK series of a million fairy books. Rainbow Magic, I think (it started with rainbow fairies).
Old 09-28-2007, 02:33 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Not quite sure what my older two are reading independently, and they've gone to bed now, so I can't ask ...

I read aloud two chapters from the first novella in "Three Favourite Animal Stories" by Jill Tomlinson to my 4yo
I read aloud two chapters of "Mister Monday" by Garth Nix to my 8yo and 10yo's
I read aloud two chapters of "Land of the Silver Apples" by Nancy Farmer

Dd (8) is halfway through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (second time through the whole series)
Dd (4) read "decaf mocha" off the side of bag of instant camping mix

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 09-28-2007, 03:03 AM

Rhett and I read This Is the House That Jack Built by Jon Scieszka.
Dusty is reading FireStar's Quest by Erin Hunter.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:32 AM

Today we read The Witch in the Window by Ruth Chew. We were super busy today so that was the only one we got through. Our nightly reading fell by the wayside since we were all so pooped. Ruth Chew was one of my favorite authors when I was a kid. Yeah, pretty much fluff, but her books are all about average kids happening onto magical stuff which I always loved. It made the mundane seem magical.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:30 AM

Yesterday:
The Velveteen Rabbit
several Robert Munsch books, many times over

Today: we're just waking up, so we haven't read anything yet.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milakais View Post
Yesterday:
several Robert Munsch books, many times over

We love Robert Munsch books!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:10 PM

What a cool idea for a thread!

This morning, my 6 year old listened to "Chocolate Fever" by Robert Kimmel Smith on tape. I got it for him, because I remembered it fondly from school. It was light and easy to follow, with a cool ending. Ds1 remarked that it was kind of short, but that he enjoyed it.

He also flipped through a Tintin book. My dh loved Tintin as a kid. I had never read it before. I found it enjoyable and I thought the literacy level was good for a comic book. But boy, the attitudes towards non-Europeans were bad. They have a Sherpa referring to himself as "a yellow man" and calling Tintin "sahib". But you have to keep in mind that, like Huck Finn, it reflects the era in which it was written. For an older child, it might even lead to interesting dialogue about imperialism and how attitudes evolved over the 20th century. There's some really fabulous illustrations in Tintin btw.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:43 PM

Today we started reading Panther Glade for our Florida Fun Program. We have done one chapter and our goal today is two. DS1 will read more in The Phantom Tollbooth and hopefully DS2 will read more in the Poky Little Puppy.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Friday

Who Made That? (Nicholas)
Fairytopia (Sheridan)
Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street? (Hudson)
Tabitha's Terrifically Tough Tooth (Middleton)
"The Fairy Godmother's Assistant" from Girls to the Rescue (Lansky)
2 chapters from The Midwife's Apprentice (Cushman)
some Mad Libs

And Leo was a reading demon today and went through so many books I couldn't begin to keep track. The first three on the above list were the only titles I could remember. He also perused the Gator Gazette in the car, along with his sisters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/IMG_2519.jpg
Old 09-29-2007, 01:14 AM

Today we read The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl (+ I just found this quiz)
Old 09-29-2007, 02:05 AM

Let's see today we had several reading periods so I am probably going to forget stuff but here is my best recollection...

5 chapters of the Wizard of Oz...DS is totally hooked on this one. He keeps pushing for more and more and more LOL so we will probably have it done in a few days (luckily they are mucho sequels if he needs them!)

Tikki Tikki Tembo...love this book. DS always recites the name because he thinks its funny (then again so do I)

Caps for Sale....DS and DD acted out the story while I read it using bean bags balanced on their heads and DS would read the peddlers dialogue and Niamh did the Tsk tsk tsk of the monkeys).

We share everything...of course another Robert Munsch. The kids love his books because they have repeating phrases so starting from a very young age they can participate in reading the story. Plus we downloaded all of the mp3 files on his website so they listen to those at night sometimes and we have read them all probably about 200 times each LOL so they are old favorites.

A fable from The Aesop for Children which I fell in love with on The Baldwin Project and was going to print on my own and then was lucky enough to find at Sonlight for $10....suh-weet!

I know we read more than that today but I am drawing a total blank!

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
Old 09-29-2007, 02:09 AM

This book is one of our all time favorite books. We just happened on it at a thrift store and we read it all year long. I just had to share.

We are also reading Charoletts Web. I have never read it and it is amazing. I am going to be taking notes on good chapter books to read aloud to your young children.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candipooh View Post
This book is one of our all time favorite books. We just happened on it at a thrift store and we read it all year long. I just had to share.

We are also reading Charoletts Web. I have never read it and it is amazing. I am going to be taking notes on good chapter books to read aloud to your young children.
Oh my gosh!!!! That's one of DD's favorite books this time of year, and she JUST dug it out and read it to me this afternoon! You should also try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Old-Lad...1039197&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Too-Many-Pumpk...1039226&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/Room-Broom-Jul...1039286&sr=1-1

They're all in my DD's pile right now, we read one or two each day, over and over

We did two chapters of The Book of Three tonight before bed. She's not 100% into it, but she's into it enough to want to keep hearing more, so we'll keep going for now. I love that she's finally getting old enough to share some of my favorites with me I adore Charlotte's Web. That was DD1's first chapter book, and she loved every word of it.

She also read a few other books on her own today, whose titles I can't recall right now. We need to get to the library!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 09-29-2007, 10:20 AM

Yesterday I read chapter 9 & 10 of The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis. The first few chapters didn't have dd too interested but she is paying more attention now that there are more animals showing up in the story.

Dd read a book on her own but I'm not sure which one it was.

At bedtime dd requested that I read Corduroy by Don Freeman. Dd read it recently on her own and it is now a favorite book.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 09-29-2007, 11:12 AM

My 8 yr old and I are taking turns reading each other chapters from Cynthia Rylant's Cousin series. We are on book 2.

My 15 yr old and I are reading Witch of Blackbird Pond together, in anticipation of a field trip to Salem.

User Tag List