Library Rant *update* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So last year we homeschool DS (and part of the year prior to that) and we were walking up to the local library 2-3 times a week to get materials. It made it so very easy to cover all of our bases (we had a base "program" and used the library to expand on that and do all of our extra curricular/elective type stuff)

So anyways... last year my daughter was < 18 mos. Today we went in, DH, 23 mo old DD, 12 yr old DS and myself. There were only 3 people in the whole library, and DD was sitting at the puzzle table in the kids corner with DH talking baby talk (she's still about half and half as far as words and doesn't understand "be quiet" what so ever yet) and playing w/ the puzzles w/ DH. The librarian kept telling her to be quiet and "shhhh" and "be quiet" over and over again. She must have said it atleast 10 times during the 15 minutes we were inside! I tried to explain to her that DD is not old enough to understand being quiet and the librarian's response was "well this is the library, she must be quiet if you are going to bring her in here". Now keep in mind that she was NOT screaming or yelling or anything. Just sitting at the table with the puzzles and babbling baby talk/toddler talk at DH in a normal voice tone. The woman was so bad about it that we left early (and not talking to me or DH either, but directly to our toddler who started crying as a result).

The problem being, that this was the first time ever I've had DH with me to be able to go, and otherwise I would have to bring her alone (along w/ a newborn shortly) and my ADHD ds (who is generally the only one I have trouble keeping quiet). There's just NO way that I can not only keep them from fussing but keep them from speaking what so ever in order to keep the lady from yelling at my little ones. I would understand if she was 4 or 5 or maybe even 3, but she simply does not understand "shhh" or "be quiet" or anything along those lines what so ever, so did not understand why she kept getting yelled at by some stranger.

I want to write a complaint to the main branch of the library about it, but DH said I shouldn't because it could just be her PMSing or something today. Either way I don't know if I will ever be able to go back in there knowing how she is going to insist on these ridiculous rules. What do you all think?

*just wanted to add that we went in there with NO problems what so ever the entire last school year and a half, and only one time did she comment to DS that he needed to be quiet. She NEVER said a word to DD, even if she started crying (at which point I would just hurry up and finish our searching and leave)
#2 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 01:32 PM

:

One should expect a certain amount of normal kid noise in the children's section of a public library. Sounds like she needs a reality check. Definitely find out who her supervisor is and report her actions. Maybe she was just having an "off" day, or maybe she's just decided that it's time to crack down on those unruly toddlers (lol) but either way she shouldn't be in the children's section of the library if she's going to routinely frighten small children and make them cry.
#3 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 02:25 PM

No, if she has never said anything before, I would be inclined to think she was just having a bad day. If she does it the next time or two you go in, then I would think about talking to her supervisor.

Or, you could find out when she works and don't go in on those days.

Crystal
#4 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 03:35 PM

Sounds to me like maybe the last small straw in a series of things that had been getting to her, and she was overreacting. Children's voices do tend to carry a lot, even when they're speaking at a perfectly normal level - nature's way of keeping them within adult earshot for safety's sake, I'd imagine...

I remember one time in a restaurant when there was a dad with a young child in the booth behind me. The child was talking in a perfectly normal child voice, which does carry but wasn't a bother, and the dad kept raising his voice to tell him to not to be so loud. I forget how he was phrasing it, but the child clearly didn't have a clue what his dad was getting more and more worked up about - to the point where the dad was shouting and disturbing the rest of us far more than if the child had just been left alone. I almost said something to him as I left, but decided he was in a bad enough mood by that time that he might just blow up at me.

An idea - since it can be hard for a child to understand what it means to be quiet, or to even to be able to pull it off if she did know, maybe you can teach her how to "whisper" as a fun thing to know how to do, and maybe you can try telling her - when you go the library - that it's a place where you're all going to have to "whisper" so that other people can enjoy the quiet. She could possibly think of it as a fun game - who knows... Worth a try.

It used to be that people actually did all whisper in libraries, which was really kind of nice - but that sure has changed.

There's even a lovely children's book with a sweet story about whispering:
The Whispering Rabbit and Other Stories,* by Margaret Wise Brown. I see where you can get it for only $2.98 used through Amazon. I've always grabbed up any Margaret Wise Brown books I've seen to give away as gifts. They're so enchanting. And in her Goodnight Moon book, there's the picture of the knitting bunny and the line, "And a quiet old lady who was whispering 'hush'."

*EDIT: I just looked again, considering whether to pick up a gift copy to have on hand, and noticed that book has some other wonderful stories in it too: Scupper's Song; The Friendly Book; The Golden Egg Book; and Rabbit Poem. All also beautifully illustrated. - Lillian

#5 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 03:38 PM

I would write a letter. We had such nasty librarians at our library when I was growing up that we went twice, and then never went back. If my mom and my aunts had each written a letter, maybe they wouldn't have been so hateful to children.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#6 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 04:17 PM

I would go back and see if she was just having an off day. You could also say, "she is being quiet, you should hear her when she's being loud."

Also a suggestion, could you reserve the books ahead of time at your library? I do that if I know I am going to be pressed for time that week and wont have time to browse.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
#7 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 04:20 PM

I love the comment box, personally.
#8 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Isn't the chattiness of children the reason for the children's section?
I encourage my kids to use soft voices just so they have the idea but our librarians have never even so much as looked in the direction of a chatty kid...even a screaming kid for that matter.
Bad day or not you can not take it out on the kids in library when you are the librarian.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#9 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
Isn't the chattiness of children the reason for the children's section?
I've always thought it was just to have the children's books all in one place. No one, child or otherwise, was expected to speak above a low voice or whisper when I was little, but there was still a children's section.

Quote:
Bad day or not you can not take it out on the kids in library when you are the librarian.
Absolutely!

I do wonder, though, if the librarian even knows young children well enough to realize that they often don't understand what being "quiet" means in terms of knowing whether they'd doing it or how to go about doing it. Maybe that should be part of the training they get... - Lillian
#10 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 06:14 PM

Was this woman there all the previous times you had gone to the library? If so, it seems really weird that she never said anything before. If not, she could just be new and not aware of what normal 2 year old voices in a quiet library sound like. I would probably go again, one more time, and give her the benefit of the doubt. It was totally inappropriate of her to get on to your daughter like that, and if it happened again I'd definately make a complaint.

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
#11 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shianne View Post
I would go back and see if she was just having an off day. You could also say, "she is being quiet, you should hear her when she's being loud."

Also a suggestion, could you reserve the books ahead of time at your library? I do that if I know I am going to be pressed for time that week and wont have time to browse.
Our library has an online catalog. That might also be something you can do before heading that way just so you can comfortably search (not saying what your dd did was wrong, just saying it might be a more relaxed experience). I think it's crazy she shushed her that many times. I think if it was truly bothering people the parent would be addressed.
#12 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'd be tempted to write a letter, but not exactly a complaint letter. You could even omit the librarian's name, but just explain what happenned and ask that the library board address the situation by:

1. Evaluate the library's mission and function in the community, especially with regard to children.

2. Decide what is expected of patrons of varying ages and, and how to best inform them of those expectations.

3. Outline the best ways for librarians to interact with patrons of varying ages.

3. Consider how best to disseminate the above information.

Maybe they'll ask you to sit on the committee!
#13 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhemina View Post
I'd be tempted to write a letter, but not exactly a complaint letter. You could even omit the librarian's name, but just explain what happenned and ask that the library board address the situation by:

1. Evaluate the library's mission and function in the community, especially with regard to children.

2. Decide what is expected of patrons of varying ages and, and how to best inform them of those expectations.

3. Outline the best ways for librarians to interact with patrons of varying ages.

3. Consider how best to disseminate the above information.

Maybe they'll ask you to sit on the committee!
Thats a great idea. I was thinking of something like that... like asking for clarification on their child noise policies and explaining the situation w/out actually naming her, only because I could not go back if I caused her trouble.

I looked on the library's website, and there is a whole page about children's services that suggests it is "kid friendly" which our visit today certainly was not.

Quote:
Staff of the Williamsburg County Library Children’s Services Department plan programs for the children that educate and entertain.We help parents and teachers to find the library resources they need for child development.

We constantly assist students with homework research as well as leisure reading. During the summer months the library conducts a reading club for children, infant to age thirteen. This includes special programming as well as lots of encouragement to read.

In the summer of 2007 both libraries will have greatly expanded children's libraries. There wil be space for more books and space for small group story times right in the children's library areas.
Its a small town library (extension of the main library) and she is there all the time, and has been there every time I've gone over the past 2 years. That being said, I havent gone in about 6 months, since our school year was wrapping up, because I've been pregnant and the heat was like 110 this summer (we walk there). When I used to go she was fairly nice. She would say hi and try to get DD's attention and say how cute she was etc. (normal stuff strangers say) I do wonder if she is clueless though thinking that DD can understand her saying to be quiet, when DD cant even SAY "be quiet" yet, lol. The children's section is not that secluded from the rest of the library exactly, although there was literally only 1 person on that side of the library...a 8 yr old or so kid playing on the computer w/ headphones on (he barely even noticed us coming in, he was so into what he was doing). Then the librarian desk in the middle, and kind of far on the other side, 1 or 2 adults. So it wasnt like we were disturbing anyone (other than the librarian clearly)
#14 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
So last year we homeschool DS (and part of the year prior to that) and we were walking up to the local library 2-3 times a week to get materials. It made it so very easy to cover all of our bases (we had a base "program" and used the library to expand on that and do all of our extra curricular/elective type stuff)

So anyways... last year my daughter was < 18 mos. Today we went in, DH, 23 mo old DD, 12 yr old DS and myself. There were only 3 people in the whole library, and DD was sitting at the puzzle table in the kids corner with DH talking baby talk (she's still about half and half as far as words and doesn't understand "be quiet" what so ever yet) and playing w/ the puzzles w/ DH. The librarian kept telling her to be quiet and "shhhh" and "be quiet" over and over again. She must have said it atleast 10 times during the 15 minutes we were inside! I tried to explain to her that DD is not old enough to understand being quiet and the librarian's response was "well this is the library, she must be quiet if you are going to bring her in here". Now keep in mind that she was NOT screaming or yelling or anything. Just sitting at the table with the puzzles and babbling baby talk/toddler talk at DH in a normal voice tone. The woman was so bad about it that we left early (and not talking to me or DH either, but directly to our toddler who started crying as a result).

The problem being, that this was the first time ever I've had DH with me to be able to go, and otherwise I would have to bring her alone (along w/ a newborn shortly) and my ADHD ds (who is generally the only one I have trouble keeping quiet). There's just NO way that I can not only keep them from fussing but keep them from speaking what so ever in order to keep the lady from yelling at my little ones. I would understand if she was 4 or 5 or maybe even 3, but she simply does not understand "shhh" or "be quiet" or anything along those lines what so ever, so did not understand why she kept getting yelled at by some stranger.

I want to write a complaint to the main branch of the library about it, but DH said I shouldn't because it could just be her PMSing or something today. Either way I don't know if I will ever be able to go back in there knowing how she is going to insist on these ridiculous rules. What do you all think?

*just wanted to add that we went in there with NO problems what so ever the entire last school year and a half, and only one time did she comment to DS that he needed to be quiet. She NEVER said a word to DD, even if she started crying (at which point I would just hurry up and finish our searching and leave)
I think you are a taxpaying citizen with every legal right to use the library.

I would ignore her for now and go as often as you like.
#15 of 25 Old 09-30-2007, 12:01 AM

I thought about you tonight . Was out for dinner in a fairly nice restaurant that was rapidly filling up when a young family sat down at the next table with a toddler. I thought, "Oh, boy - this is sure not going to be relaxing for them..." The toddler, as you can imagine, was not particularly into sitting still and quiet like a little doll in the middle of all the commotion that goes on in a restaurant - she could see no point in being there, just sitting at a table with her parents for no apparent reason. Her mom tried to feed her some babyfood right away, but she had no interest in eating. The waitress hadn't even come to take an order before it was clear that this was going to be challenging. Anyway, the part that made me think of your situation was when the mom started to say, "Hush...", and of course that word meant absolutely nothing to the toddler. It reminded me of that cartoon where the woman is talking away to the dog, and all the dog can make out is "blah blah blah blah blah, Ginger - blah blah blah blah blah..." Turned out fine, though, because the mom finally ended up just picking her up and holding her in her lap for the rest of the time, speaking softly to her, which, of course, is not the way she'd planned to spend the evening, but sometimes that's just the way it is.....

- Lillian
#16 of 25 Old 09-30-2007, 12:13 AM

Any other libraries in your area? Or can you figure out this dolt's schedule and not go when she's there? I will bet you that she is not loved by many.

We are blessed beyond reason with our librarians. They don't even whipser! There is also a lot of laughter. And my yougest brought in 19 baby chicks in a box the other day to show off. They were all holding and enjoying them, and these chicks we *not* the least bit quiet.

That is just so wrong wrong wrong.
#17 of 25 Old 09-30-2007, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

The other library is about 25 min away so we'd have to go on the weekends which is ok anyways really because of my having a newborn in a few weeks, although in the long run I would definitely prefer to use the one in walking distance. (I'm sure that fact that I'm a very easily annoyed 38 wk pregnant woman who just walked 15 min to get rushed out of there was not helping my mood, lol) One of the reasons that we bought our house was because the library was in walking distance. Silly I guess but I just felt like it was such a great bonus (there is also a park/mini grocery store/PO in walking distance...and its a tiny town so low crime)

The woman really seems to ALWAYS be there, so I don't know how I could avoid her. I did send a general "who would I talk to if I had a question about policies etc..." to the library website earlier today and they asked me to give them a call on Monday and who I should ask for (at the other 'main' branch so I know i wont accidentally get this woman, lol). I am going to go ahead and call and just not mention the lady's name. If they are cracking down on noise (or some wierd thing like that) then I don't want to come across as its her fault, but I was thinking that maybe I could help them be a more family friendly place to be, and will try to take that spin on it.

I really do try to keep my kids from being annoying, and I don't ever take them to the movies or 'nice' restaurants etc. I guess thats why I was so taken aback by this, because even I, who am generally the first to be embarassed by my kids noise in public, didnt see it as a problem. I was actually thinking of how great it was that she was sitting in the library happily playing with the puzzles in the kids section w/ DH and not having a fit or fussing or otherwise causing a scene. (generally I am trying to maneuver a stroller with a fussy toddler through the rows to get the books I need while simultaneously keeping DS from climbing over anything/getting into anyone's personal space boundaries/manhandling books/whatever other trouble he thinks of getting in to)
#18 of 25 Old 09-30-2007, 08:18 PM

I would definitely complain both to her immediate supervisor and the main branch of the library, but then I may be just a troublemaker! Seriously, even if she was just having a bad day or pMSing or whatever, she does not have the right to make a child cry. When you work with the public, you need to be pleasant and professional, even when you feel like screaming.

I also think that a children's section is more than just the place to house children's books. Our children's section has computers with games, puppets, puzzles, etc. I think that it is reasonable to expect that the children will (with the help of their parents) be relatively quiet, but it sounds like her expectations were inappropriate.

Maybe it varies by library, but our library isn't the quietest place either. I seem to remember libraries being much quieter when I was growing up.
#19 of 25 Old 09-30-2007, 09:36 PM

Make a copy of your tax bill that includes the library portion. Bring it with you next time to show her in case she feels the need to "shush" your toddler again. " Hello, ma'am, would you like to see how much I pay to borrow these books every year?....and by the way...this is the children's section."

My phone rang in the library the other day. I was obviously mortified and was walking quickly out of the library area when the librarian felt it necessary to tell me to turn off my ringer. I didn't even bother to look at her and I certainly didn't apologize. Why did she feel the need to say anything when it was obvious that I realized that I had forgotten to turn off my ringer. Does every single person remember to turn off thier ringer in the library? Somehow, I doubt it. So, I've got my own angry library story this week!:

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#20 of 25 Old 10-01-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
No, if she has never said anything before, I would be inclined to think she was just having a bad day. If she does it the next time or two you go in, then I would think about talking to her supervisor.

Or, you could find out when she works and don't go in on those days.

Crystal

what she said! give the woman the benefit of the doubt.
#21 of 25 Old 10-13-2007, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Every time I've been in there its been deathly quiet, but I had just assumed it was because there were no toddlers or younger there. Being an extention library it hasnt nearly the people base that their main branch does which of course attributes to the silence. She has told DS to be quiet before when he asked me a question or two last year, but I just figured we were in the wrong and left it at that.

Today we decided to take a ride up to the main branch. I was AMAZED at the difference between them. Not only did nobody say a negative word about DD wandering about playing with toys and making a stack out of the DVDs in the kids section (which DH fixed of course) but the librarians themselves were way louder than DD was at the other library or anywhere else for that matter. They werent shouting, but they were very relaxed and friendly and the whole atmosphere was very warm and inviting. They were even telling DH how cute DD was and smiling as they saw her run from one thing to another (she was loving the library...it looked like playland to her)

There were probably 24 people there, at the very least, and everyone seemed happy and was smiling. It was just so incredibly night and day.

My DH didnt want to drive all the way up there, but after we left, said he did not mind going in the least, and looks forward to going again. DD actually fussed when we left because she was having so much fun, and DS made me promise to take him back there when we need to renew books in a week or two. Its really amazing what good customer service can do.
#22 of 25 Old 10-13-2007, 06:59 PM

I really would say something to someone. Children's libraries should be friendly and, well, children should be able to be children there. Maybe that's why it's so deathly quiet; people are afraid to bring their children in there!

I'm glad you had a better experience at the main branch!
#23 of 25 Old 10-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Glad you had a better experience at the main branch!

Having a bad day is a great excuse for sitting around with a strange sour look on your face. For directly scolding a toddler? Not really. Not buying it. Say something.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#24 of 25 Old 10-13-2007, 08:25 PM

I am glad you went elsewhere (although I think you might consider writing a letter to the board of that other library and voice your concerns).

We adore (and mean that in all my adoration lol) our town library and librarians. They are so incredible and child-oriented even in the 'adult' section. It's not a silent place by any stretch. It's not a casino--lol---but it's real and welcoming. They have a large playroom with child-sized tables and chairs toys, cozy rugs, all sort of bookd than can be toddler-handled, puzzles, a puppet theater, and more. We have passed many happy hours there. My youngest brought in a box of peeping baby chicks (20 of them!) one day, and the whole of the children's section came to see them. It was quite a little party.

A good library is like good family.

Sadly, we are having massive financial problems in our town, and sometimes I cry thinking it could all be gone. We got Tarcrap and Walfart and AppleFrankenfood, but our libraries are at risk. What a world.
#25 of 25 Old 10-13-2007, 08:51 PM

When Rebecca was about 2 1/2, she decided to throw a monstrous tantrum just as we were checking out our books. The librarian said to her, loudly, "You have to be quiet in the library," which just made her scream louder and made me giggle. As if my screeching toddler was going to stop tantrumming because some stranger told her to be quiet! LOL

No real advice, just understanding... kids make noise. If it happened again, I'd ask to speak to her supervisor, but I'd probably ignore the first "offense."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page