Pre-School Home Schooling Materials - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 10-13-2007, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you elaborate on the All About Me book? I think my ds would be really into that!

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 54 Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 PM

About singing the ABC's... Our house is a HUGE Star Wars fan house, and my kids have been singing the Star Wars theme song (Da Da Da Daaa da da daaa) since they could walk. Anyway- when we go for walks I always sing silly songs and I tried and tried to sing the ABC's and my DS1 would NOT, NOT let me sing the abc's. I would start he would sing Star Wars. So I sang the ABC's to the starwars theme, and let me tell you it is very VERY hard. Now my kids can sing their ABC's in two different songs. Funny how once we learn something a certain way we have a hard time doing it any other way.

Sing LOTS of songs, teach about the seasons, weather thing that kids can see easily. Leaf rubs are fun, flower collection and wreath making with seasonal items. LOTS of books, and art projects, simon says, paper tear collages. I let my kids (about once a month) draw in flour on a cookie sheet- messy but cool according to them.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#33 of 54 Old 10-13-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarngoddess View Post
About singing the ABC's... Our house is a HUGE Star Wars fan house, and my kids have been singing the Star Wars theme song (Da Da Da Daaa da da daaa) since they could walk. Anyway- when we go for walks I always sing silly songs and I tried and tried to sing the ABC's and my DS1 would NOT, NOT let me sing the abc's. I would start he would sing Star Wars. So I sang the ABC's to the starwars theme, and let me tell you it is very VERY hard. Now my kids can sing their ABC's in two different songs. Funny how once we learn something a certain way we have a hard time doing it any other way.
We also have major Star Wars fanatics here--I will have tp try it with the ABC's, and to Vader's theme, too. Great one!

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#34 of 54 Old 10-14-2007, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha_2sons View Post
A book with some great art activities is Young at Art by MaryAnn Kohl. It really opened my eyes to more creative art activities. I ended up using the book to create a "Messy Art" playgroup for my sons' friends.
I cant find that book, are you sure thats the author? I found either that author or title, but not together.
#35 of 54 Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

More wonderful tips!!! Thank you thank you thank you mamas! I love all the great ideas!

I am interested in that book too....

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#36 of 54 Old 10-15-2007, 12:07 AM

subbing
#37 of 54 Old 10-15-2007, 03:07 PM

*subbing*

ds is about the same age as the op's kiddo. he's going to preschool 2 mornings a week this year, but next year we'll be keeping him home, and i'm looking for some ideas to use this year when he isn't at school, and next year when he's with me all the time. i'll be checking out all the links later.

i second the request for the pb play doh recipe :. ds loves play doh right now.
#38 of 54 Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitemarehippygirl View Post
i second the request for the pb play doh recipe :. ds is loves play doh right now.
I just Googled "best peanut butter playdough recipe" and got this Cook.com page with a whole bunch. One takes out milk (for the lactose intolerant) and one adds oatmeal, and I didn't look further...

This is reminding me of some Power Balls my artists' group used to have on hand for quick snacks - gotta' look for that! But here's a similar one from Peggy O'Mara's "Peggy's Kitchen" page:
Super Power Protein Balls: one cup peanut butter mixed with 3 tablespoons dried milk powder, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and enough yogurt to moisten to a rolling consistency. Add carob powder, nuts, raisins, coconut, or oats, and roll in sesame seeds.

And on that note, off to lunch...

Lillian
#39 of 54 Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for posting the recipe Lillian! Yummmmmy!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#40 of 54 Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 PM

I dont think this has been posted in this thread yet - mommy brain, lol, but this is a great preschool program I found. I ordered the sample free kit and we are probably going to continue with the program, you get a hardcover book, music cd, puzzle, and workbook for free, and then something similar each month I think...

http://www.brightervision.com/
#41 of 54 Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

mercy589 ~ that is a very interesting website.... it would be a nice added 'extra' to what I am planning on doing with my ds. DId they charge you for the free sample? I know that they said that there is no obligation... but I sometimes have a hard time signing up with with those...

Thank you

#42 of 54 Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 AM

OK now I look like an idiot for posting the post I just posted...
I guess I should have put it in this thread!!! Good job on my part for looking.. duhh...
Thank you all for all the fabulous links!!! I wish it wasn't already late, I would cruise them all!!

Young at Art id by Susan Striker, by the way. I actually ordered it from Amazon today. I have a feeling she is going to poo-poo what we did today-- we did veggie stamps and made a pumpkin patch out of stamped circles in orange paint....

I wish I knew how to delete a post?! copying it and pasting it in here...
I stumbled from one page to another and found my way to the Homeschool eStore and see that they have activity "books" for toddlers, Pay and Learn with Your 1 Yr Old, 2 Yr Old and 3 Yr Old... I was wondering if anyone had purchased these ebooks and if they are worth it?
Also, Katelyn is pretty advanced all around (except in hair growth ) and I am wondering if the 1 year old book is most appropriate for her? She is one and a half, has gotten mistaken for over two twice in the past week. :P (one is a story that belongs in another topic area.) She makes short sentences (she actually said "more chachup (ketchup) pease mommy at dinner!), can count to 5 (maybe higher but usually stops at three and says GO! haha) can stack 5 blocks high... knows several colors, knows big and little...
(not trying to brag on her, just trying to give a picture of who she is)

I am just trying to find more fun stuff for us to do that might be laid out in a cirriculum fashion to sort of try the whole homeschool thing out... We are temporarily relocated away from home and don't have a lot of space or toys and we both get bored pretty quick. :P
So anyhow, back to the original question, Are the ebooks from Homeschool eStore worth it?

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#43 of 54 Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
I wish I knew how to delete a post?!

I haven't seen the other post yet, but to delete it, all you need to do is go to it, and hit the little Edit button right at the bottom of it - and then you can just delete all the test and leave a little note like "posted in wrong thread" or whatever. Lillian
#44 of 54 Old 10-16-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
So anyhow, back to the original question, Are the ebooks from Homeschool eStore worth it?
Well, I know that at least one is : - the one I was a contributor to:

See, I Told Me So! Homeschool Veterans Declare "You can stop worrying!" *

My own chapter from it is on my website: Homeschooling - It's A Wonderful Life!, and there are 17 other writers in it. We aren't getting any money from it, by the way - our shares go to charity.

*I've reported to them that they have a typo in the title on the website.

EDIT: Whoops! I just saw your other post and suddenly realized you were only asking about the activity books! I've gotta' slow down when I'm reading. Oh, well...

Lillian

#45 of 54 Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
mercy589 ~ that is a very interesting website.... it would be a nice added 'extra' to what I am planning on doing with my ds. DId they charge you for the free sample? I know that they said that there is no obligation... but I sometimes have a hard time signing up with with those...

Thank you
No charge at all, and they said you can cancel at any time even if you decide to go with it for awhile. I think you do have to notify them that you just want to keep the free stuff and cancel though. Go for it!
#46 of 54 Old 10-16-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
WOW! More wonderful ideas!!! I couldn't be more excited!

rahrahgobg ~ I really love that idea ~ HANDS ON HOMESCHOOLING. Where did you get it for more than half the price?
You can look on Craigslist...and don't fret to look on many city's Craigslist - some will ship as long as you pay for it. You could easily pay by paypal or money order.

This website is filled with people selling their used curriculum

http://www.vegsource.com/homeschool/fsp2/index.html

Vicki
#47 of 54 Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

kellykins ~ what an advanced little one you have!

mercy589 & rahrahgobg ~ thank you for the additional information!! There is SO much stuff out there... I am still trying to decide which one/ones I want to use.

#48 of 54 Old 10-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Obviously there's already been tons of great info posted, but I don't think this one is here yet. Preschool Prep Co.
#49 of 54 Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 PM

I just got an email from Preschool Prep Co that they expect their Spanish versions to be out next month. I am very excited about this, as I think it will help dd to practice her colors and numbers for her Spanish class.
#50 of 54 Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Here's a very cool catalog/online store for finding things that are for little people to do things hands-on. Not the most expensive nor the cheapest stuff, but I seriously have never seen child-sized operable things like are in this one:

For Small Hands

Otherwise, bookmarking this thread for my little guy!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#51 of 54 Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 AM

arrgh - I TOTALLY knew it would come off like I was parading her around like missus smartyton... Thtats totaly not how I meant it... Please know this... I am so embarassed... I am so not like that... I am actually kind of unsure how to react when people say things about her like that... What a way to intro onesself into a new section of the forum.... DOH..

[QUOTE=RachelS;9454582]kellykins ~ what an advanced little one you have!

anyhow, I am wondering, I am seeing all these fabulous links (havnt had time to check them out) HOW do you process the info and pick the "best" stuff? How do you figure out what to do and when and whatnot? How do you "plan" this stuff out for a preschooler/toddler? I am repeating myself, but I need structure, lol, so "plans" and knwoing what is next is a good thing for me

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#52 of 54 Old 10-19-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

heatherdeg & tayndrewsmama thank you for the links... on my way to check these out right now! Thank you so very much!!!!

kellykins ~ no worries mama....... it was a complement!

#53 of 54 Old 10-19-2007, 12:47 AM

Kelly, remember that preschool as a concept is pretty new, and came about as a way of getting children ready to deal with the incompetent schools. It wasn't all that long ago that children that age were at home or in nursery school where they did nothing but play and maybe learn a few songs and games. And yet, people were able to get a great education - lots of incredible minds have developed throughout history in people who never had a structured preschooling background. So what I'm getting at is that it's not as if there's anything important to figure out. You honestly don't need plans so much as to know what sort of thing your child responds joyfully to. If you just go with that, and introduce activities along the way that just sort of jump out at you as things she might love, you'll both do fine.

You said earlier that you're trying to find more fun stuff that can be laid out in a curriculum fashion to sort of try out homeschooling. I'm thinking that means you want to know what it would be like if you were to start practice at teaching her in fun and creative ways. But honestly, at her age there's nothing you need to think about teaching - she'll just be soaking up everything in her environment. She's busy! To try out homeschooling with a child that age is not really a good test - because it's different.

Here's a thread in MDC on "Is 3 too young?" - and that's another year and a half for you. I realize you're just looking for fun things that can entertain the two of you, but I also think you'd thrive without the idea of "homeschooling" in the background for now - just going on with playing and casually observing the world as things come along for her. There are lots of fun things in those catalogs, but I wouldn't worry about making a plan or doing things in any kind of sequence other than the one she wants - it's all about her, not about any bigger plan.

What might help could be a very loose schedule where you plan something like going on a little nature walk every morning, playing with playdough every other morning, telling her a story or reading her a beautiful little book every afternoon, doing a finger play every ________, singing songs as you go about your day, listening to CDs every ________, etc. - loosely classified stuff like that just so that you remember to do those things instead of wondering what to do.

Have fun! Lillian
#54 of 54 Old 10-21-2007, 04:39 PM

Kellykins, dont be embarrased about your smart little girl!

One thing that's helped me sort through all the stuff out there is I decided that I was going to pick one theme a month and try to do at least one theme related thing per week - Sept was apples, we picked apples, did a couple apple art projects, read some related books, etc. Thats just my goal because DD is only 2 and I have a 2 month old, so I didn't plan to do too much, but at least its something and helps me figure out where to start. So, with the one theme a month, we read related books (we already have and read a ton of books so that parts easy), and then the one project a week can be art, a sensory table project type thing, an activity, or whatever...

For more fun theme related ideas, I love the Mailbox magazine books that you can find at a teacher store. We have a book by them on science projects thats great! (for younger kids) Its made for teachers, but easily usable for home. They have good art project ideas in their books too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page