Oh Swell! (maybe trigger mentions school shootings) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They just arrested a middle schooler planning a Columbine type shooting near Philadelphia. He was homeschooled for the last year. You watch anti-homeschool stuff come up in the media from this even though this type of crime is almost always perpetrated by public school kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 08:14 PM

Thats really odd as I was just going to post about the school shootings.

Not every homeschool family does it well. Infact I know a family homeschooling a child as the school can not handle the boy who is mentally ill. The parents are having a hard time as well. But at least they are trying.

What gets to me is the schooled children who shoot up places who have parents who do not try, are not aware, both parents work and TV and video games raise the kid.

I just watched an interview of a teacher who knew the child. He heard the gun shots, then in a hallway saw his student waving the guns, and still it did not sink in that it was real, that the boy was actually out to hurt someone.

If the teachers do not know the kid, and the parents are clueless, should this not say something deeply about the system itself? Society?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
They just arrested a middle schooler planning a Columbine type shooting near Philadelphia. He was homeschooled for the last year. You watch anti-homeschool stuff come up in the media from this even though this type of crime is almost always perpetrated by public school kids.
Well, they're gonna' have a pretty hard time blaming homeschooling when this is right on the heels of the shootings the other day in an Ohio school! I sure wish the media would stop giving so much attention to the shooters - it just makes it look like a great way to finally get attention, even if it's in death. How incredibly sick this whole thing is...

- Lillian
Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM

This happened right up the road from dh's work. :

Yeah, it's already apparent the media is making this a "homeschool" issue. Few of the articles mention that the kid had only been hsed for a short time. What do you want to bet he'd been bullied? And wth kind of a mother buys her kid a gun like that? That's not a hunting rifle, it's an assault weapon. There are far bigger issues than the fact that he happened to be hsed.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 PM

So sad.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa View Post
I just watched an interview of a teacher who knew the child. He heard the gun shots, then in a hallway saw his student waving the guns, and still it did not sink in that it was real, that the boy was actually out to hurt someone.
I didn't see this interview, but, as someone who has looked down the wrong end of a gun (I was a video-store clerk about 12 years ago and was robbed at gunpoint) it DOESN'T seem real. I looked up, saw it, and didn't realize what I was seeing. Everything was in slow-motion. Very bizarre.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:39 AM

I was just on another mom's board and the nonhomeschoolers are saying this is a sad indictment of hsing..........don't they get it???????????????:
Old 10-13-2007, 10:57 AM

When we first heard about this incident that is the first thing my dh said to me "they keep pointing out he was homeschooled" then it was mentioned that he was for a shor time (I think it was?)-not up on all the details.
Dh is a homeschool convert this is only our second year he was pretty aggravated about the media constantly mentioning that.
It is all sad.

:energ y
Old 10-13-2007, 11:15 AM

It is what it is. Nothing is perfect, not all kids get what they need. (Some of the nicest kids I know go to school, and sadly, I know my fair share of kids I don't think should be home all day with their parents). In general, the media is very generous (these days) towards hsing.

I don't think we should take in personally. He was in school most of his life. I do think it's sad that he had been out of school over a year, and could have started healing, but he spent his time planning this instead. That is a concern to me. But I know it's *not* about hsing.

We hsers are forever saying things like reason 999 to homeschool etc., so it goes both ways. People get shot eating at McDonalds, too.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:22 AM

The thing that really needs to be pointed out is that this kid was pulled from PS b/c the school was doing nothing about daily torture he was receiving at the hands of his classmates. The fact that he was in public school does NOT mean he was being homeschooled.

In a misguided attempt to make him feel "stonger" and less vulnerable, the parents purchased weapons for him.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/12/stu...nal/index.html

Public School and some poor dicisions by his parents (uh, anyone heard of counseling??) made this kid, not homeschool!
Old 10-13-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shy2post View Post
The thing that really needs to be pointed out is that this kid was pulled from PS b/c the school was doing nothing about daily torture he was receiving at the hands of his classmates. The fact that he was in public school does NOT mean he was being homeschooled.

In a misguided attempt to make him feel "stonger" and less vulnerable, the parents purchased weapons for him.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/12/stu...nal/index.html

Public School and some poor dicisions by his parents (uh, anyone heard of counseling??) made this kid, not homeschool!
That's crazy. Of course he was homeschooled. The district knew, he parents said they were hsing. Because his needs weren't met, or he didn't get what he needed does not mean he wasn't a hser.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
That's crazy. Of course he was homeschooled. The district knew, he parents said they were hsing. Because his needs weren't met, or he didn't get what he needed does not mean he wasn't a hser.
You are right.

I saw and read several news reports that said that he was pulled from school, but it was "unclear" as to whether he was being homeschooled. Perhaps this comes from a lack of knowledge about homeschooling or whether his parents were "filing" properly (I admittedly know nothing about HSing laws in PA). I have read no statements by his parents claiming they were HSing.

I have met families who pulled their children from PS and "claimed" HSing in an effort to escape authorities and then did NOTHING to further their children's education. I'm not talking about deschooling or unschooling, literally kept their kids at home and let them play video games and watch TV all day to their severe detriment.

I have difficult time seeing a child as homeschooled when parents (including a father convicted of a felony) pull him from public school because of "poor environment" and then proceed to illegally provide him with a stockpile weapons, and provide no counseling.

I'm sorry, I should typed my thoughts more carefully. My intended focus was the fact that public school and bad parenting created this situation. Not homeschooling.

I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs. Certainly, until now, everyone in his life has failed him miserably...
I'm also thrilled that his mother has been arrested. I can't believe dad is only facing house arrest!!!! REDICULOUS!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:33 PM

I live not too far from where this happened and the local news seem to just be making a passing statement about his being homeschooled. Most of the reports go something like this: He was homeschooled for about a year before this incident but before that had been bullied while attending the local school. That's the only mention of hsing I've seen so far. No commentary or anything. I was wondering if they only mentioned it because he was technically not a student at the school but had previously been classmates with the kids in the school. The media is focusing more on the fact that at least a couple of the weapons were bought for him by his mom.

User Tag List