Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TELL me, please, what this could POSSIBLY have to do with homeschooling??? ::

H.R. 3685—Employment Non-Discrimination Act

Action Requested:
We urge you to call your U.S. Representative and urge him or her to oppose H.R. 3685, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2007. It is not necessary to identify yourself as a homeschooler. Your message can be as simple as, “Please oppose H.R. 3685, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2007. Congress should not force private employers to hire individuals whose sexual orientation violates their beliefs.”

Thank you for standing for liberty.

For more info go http://www.hslda.org/Legislation/Nat...85/default.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 PM

Just another, in a long list, of reasons I will never join this organization. :
Old 10-16-2007, 08:12 PM

As far as I can tell, the only thing it has to do with homeschooling (or schooling in general) is that the bigots would not be allowed to act on their bigotry when hiring people. Christian schools/co-ops/groups would not be able to forbid hiring "the gays" to teach their kids. Because, ya know, we have to protect our kids from catching "the gay".

As a homeschooler who is Christian and lives in the midwest, I get a lot of people assuming that part of the reason I homeschool is to protect my kids from "wrong influences". Well, they are right, but their definition of "wrong" is drastically different than my definition.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:55 PM

I read it as HSLDA would get sued for not hiring homosexuals or perceived homosexuals. They must discriminate pretty freely now.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 PM

blech.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:15 AM

::
Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 AM

Typical for them unfortunately. A couple/few years ago they were hot on the "protect marriage" thing (aka keep homosexual marriages banned). I remember getting the fwds like the one in the OP from an acquaintance.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 AM

ewww! I completely misread this at first and thought they were supporting the bill. Ugh. That makes me sick.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM

I got this in my inbox yesterday from my local group. I shuddered, then made suret o spread the word at work to call our rep. and vote YES!

This sort of blatant discrimination irks me. Even from a 'christian' point of view, what happened to love the sinner/hate the sin? (I don't believe it's a sin, but still). This takes something that doesn't even matter in the workplace and uses it to hate others.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiandelismom View Post

Thank you for standing for liberty.
This is the part that gets me. :
Old 10-17-2007, 01:43 PM

That's terrible.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:25 PM

I think you may be missing the point of this law.

Please consider the ramifications on business owners regarding the 'Employment Non Discrimination Act'
Businesses succeed with the help of “like” minded people with whom an owner or manager can work with. This legislation would prohibit owners/managers to choose people they believe will produce a positive outcome for their business. This is the type of law that makes people think twice about opening a business. When will the government stop interfering with “the peoples” rights? A person or company that put their money, lively hood and trust into its employees should have the right to choose those employees! I hope you will consider how this law will open the flood gates of “disgruntled” employees who will use it to claim discrimination and sue leaving a path of desolate businesses and business owners (people who would have benefited the economy). I am not a business owner, but if I were I would want the right to choose my employees.
Where are my freedoms in America? What freedoms are we leaving our children?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:33 PM

How in the world would someone's sexual preference affect the workplace unless they are working in a whore house?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
I think you may be missing the point of this law.

Please consider the ramifications on business owners regarding the 'Employment Non Discrimination Act'
Businesses succeed with the help of “like” minded people with whom an owner or manager can work with. This legislation would prohibit owners/managers to choose people they believe will produce a positive outcome for their business. This is the type of law that makes people think twice about opening a business. When will the government stop interfering with “the peoples” rights? A person or company that put their money, lively hood and trust into its employees should have the right to choose those employees! I hope you will consider how this law will open the flood gates of “disgruntled” employees who will use it to claim discrimination and sue leaving a path of desolate businesses and business owners (people who would have benefited the economy). I am not a business owner, but if I were I would want the right to choose my employees.
Where are my freedoms in America? What freedoms are we leaving our children?
In Canada I am not able to discriminate against anyone for any reason, which includes gender, race, sexual preference, etc. Yet we still have thriving businesses, with people that manage to work together without feeling a need to discuss what they do in their bedrooms in order for them to get along. What does that do for your theory?

As for freedom... perhaps you're leaving your children with the freedom to be free from discrimination. Quite a worthy goal, don't you think?

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 PM

If you put out fifty-thousand dollars of your own money, you don’t want the right to choose the people who work for you, run your business, make decisions for you?
You don’t want the right of choice?
This isn’t about “sexual” orientation.
It’s about the right to choose, which incrementally is being taken away from Americans.
I home school - I want that choice.
I vote - I want that choice.
I want to keep the rights I have in place.
I don’t need the government to tell me who I can hire or can’t hire.
I know my moral responsibilities and I don’t need the government to legislate them for me!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
If you put out fifty-thousand dollars of your own money, you don’t want the right to choose the people who work for you, run your business, make decisions for you?
It’s about the right to choose, which incrementally is being taken away from Americans.
I know my moral responsibilities and I don’t need the government to legislate them for me!
I think you're missing the point, Charis. When you hire people for a job, you hire the ones that can do the best job for you. What color, what sex, what religion, what sexual orientation they are DOES NOT MATTER if they can do the job to the specifications you desire.

Personally, I think it's sad that we have to have the government tell us that discrimination and bigotry is bad. I mean, wow. If living in the U.S. hasn't taught us that everyone is different, what would?

You say you want to keep your rights. Well, your rights end where mine begin. Remember that.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

The law is not saying you MUST hire gays and lesbians. The law is saying you MUST NOT fire them based only on their sexual orientation. Also, sexual orientation MUST NOT be a factor in whether or not they are hired in the first place.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can see this getting ugly...
Old 10-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
The only right being protected here by opposing this is the right to legal discrimination. Which becomes an issue for those being discriminated against. What about their rights?

Honestly, I think you have this backwards. If you want to protect your rights, you should fight for your right not to be discrimated against for whatever reason. This is no different than someone saying they have a legal right to not hire/fire someone because she's a woman, or a Christian, or has blonde hair. Would any of that make sense to you?

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
Old 10-17-2007, 04:45 PM

“As for freedom... perhaps you're leaving your children with the freedom to be free from discrimination. Quite a worthy goal, don't you think?”

No, I’m leaving them an America that will someday lead them into “captivity” a government that tells them when, where and how they can live. That’s sad! I hardly think that is a worthy goal! People who can’t think and make a decision for themselves…what would life be like. I love that my children don’t always agree with me, that they have minds of their own. To tell them they have to think a certain way, to live a certain way because everyone else “says” it’s the right way.
Where’s the cliff!
People need choice, people are different by design, by nature, not all people get along. You can pretend that it “works” in Canada, the economy is poor and taxes are 50 percent plus on businesses…more choices would open more businesses.

Again, if I put my own money and life on the line to open a business I want the right to choose who will work for me. I don’t see why that is a problem. The fact that it is a problem for you clearly reflect that you prefer to be told how to live your life, but for those of us who wish to live our own life, make our own decisions this law is yet another claim on our freedoms. This law doesn’t affect people who don’t care about their right to choose, so my “choice and freedoms” are taken away. That seem to be OK!

There are already laws in place to protect “all” people from discrimination. You can’t fire based on sexual orientation, you can’t fire based on age, most business keep files of discipline on their employees.

My money, my company, my life, my choice!

Have a nice afternoon!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:53 PM

This law isn't telling businesses who they have to hire. An applicant has to be qualified in the first place. It's not as though they are planning on force feeding employees to companies.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Actually, Charis, there is no law protecting sexual orientation. Age, race, gender, yes, but not sexual orientation.

I honestly don't see why it is such a big issue to you. I mean, I really don't care what my coworkers do after work. It's none of my business and I'm scratching my head as to why any employer would need to know that.

Side note - I'm wondering, would this affect the military any?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Well Charis, it honestly doesn't affect me or my family members that own businesses. They aren't bigots. They hire according to skills, not according to sexual orientation or gender or any of those other things that bigot use as excuses to not hire or retain somebody. Nobody is telling them who to hire. It is just a law that needs to be in place because some people can't be decent human beings unless it is required by law.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb View Post
Just another, in a long list, of reasons I will never join this organization. :
That's the only bad thing I know about them and it's enough to stay away. That is ridiculous! What is with this anti-gay movement lately. It seems that hatred is in full-force right now. We've got an anti-gay group giving a speech at our local convention center and I'm just infuriated at the ignorance of allowing these hate-groups to be here! ARGH. I'm not even lesbian and I'm mad, I can't imagine if I were!

Thanks for letting us know what they're up to.
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa49 View Post
That's the only bad thing I know about them and it's enough to stay away. That is ridiculous! What is with this anti-gay movement lately. It seems that hatred is in full-force right now. We've got an anti-gay group giving a speech at our local convention center and I'm just infuriated at the ignorance of allowing these hate-groups to be here! ARGH. I'm not even lesbian and I'm mad, I can't imagine if I were!

Thanks for letting us know what they're up to.
Lisa
My very thoughts. I know it's always been a hot topic, but I've seen probably 4 or 5 debates just on the few message boards I frequent just in the last two months. It's bizarre how touchy this is becoming all of a sudden.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
ENDA would prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. This would mean that a business or organization with more than 15 employees would be barred by federal law from refusing to hire a person because of the person’s sexual orientation.
That's all it does. If you're hiring an accountant and the person can't add, you don't have to hire them just because they're gay.

Quote:
At worst, it could be used to force religious organizations such as HSLDA, large homeschool support groups or co-ops that employ individuals, Christian publishing companies or bookstores, and other organizations to hire individuals whose sexual orientation violates the organization’s beliefs.
Yes, definitely HSLDA looking out for themselves as usual.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Charis, lets say you have a business and you're currently taking applications.

Applicant one is wonderful, fully qualified, on time.

Applicant two is ok, not qualified and late.

Who would you hire?

Now what if it came out during the interview that applicant one was gay/lesbian? Who would you hire now?

Mama of three.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 PM

:

It makes me unbearably sad that we live in a world where a bill like this has to even be created.

I've never done any real looking into the HSLDA, but I always thought they were benevolent enough. Thank you for posting this.

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
Old 10-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Dar

Just a reminder of our User Agreement :
Quote:
We do not tolerate any type of discrimination in the discussions, including but not limited to racism, heterosexism, classism, religious bigotry, or discrimination toward the disabled.
Discrimating against a person because he or she identifies as other than heterosexual is heterosexism, and support for this viewpoint is not allowed here.

Thanks,

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

User Tag List