post pic's of your schoolroom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i need some inspiration for our schoolroom and i thought i would post a thread for schoolroom pic's. anyone have one they want to share?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 03:05 PM

:
I wanna see, too!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:18 PM

Me, too! We just bought a new house with an extra room in the basement and the wheels in my brain are already turning - maps and globes, chalkboard, posters, computer, arts and crafts supplies ... I would love to see some schoolrooms!

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I'd love to see, too! FWIW, we don't really have room for a school room. Our dining area is our "school room". Since we're structured, the kitchen table is where we do seat work and all my books, etc, (including the globe!) sit on top of a couple portable plastic file things in the corner. It's all oh-so organized! One day I hope to have a more dedicated area with cubbies mounted on the wall for supplies and each child having a work area that we don't also eat meals at. Oh, I do keep supplies in our "china cabinet" right now since we don't have enough china to fill it. It's a great place for paper, pens, crayons, pencils, etc etc etc. This also goes for my college courses- I study at the kitchen table and all my books and binders go on the hutch/china cabinet.

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:49 PM

I would love to see too. We are trying to get ours put together.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

i can offer pic's of my oh sooo messy unorganized classroom in abit...nursing a littlw one!
Old 10-21-2007, 07:39 PM

i keep meaning to add one to my blog because every time we have HS visitors, the are magnetically drawn to the HS "zone."

I have a bookshelf/computer area in a corner of the living room, and a HUGE library room in the basement. WE keep the stuff we're currently using upstairs and the excess stuff in the basement. With 6 kids (almost) I find it necessary to store items for future years use, so we don't have to repurchase them.

We're doing TWTM history & Science, so whatever we're not using this year is shelved. Also, fiction that the kids share (I bought it or they didn't like it very much) also goes down there. When they buy books with their own money, or get them as gifts, I let them keep it in their room. I also keep a few extra crates of board books (to occasionally swap with the upstairs crate) so the babies stay interested.

OK- I will clean my shelf today and add the pictures to my blog- I can't wait to see what pictures other people post.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 PM

I won't bother trying to post a picture of my schoolroom. I choose the most boring location in the house on purpose! DS gets distracted by anything so he works at the dining room table which is cleared of everything but the current assignment and a jar of pencils. I even have DD listen to her music on an iPod so he can't hear it - and she is only 2 1/2!

Our play/art room is almost complete with the redecoration I've been doing, I will post pictures of it on the playroom picture thread once I have finished it.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love threads like this! I need to find our camera.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 PM

wow- so we're at 9 posts already and nop one has ACTUALLY posted a picture. Fine- let me be the first, give me about 10 minutes (I snapped a few pictures this morning) and then check my blog. It's http://MrsHannigan.blogspot.com

Enjoy!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:37 PM

I'll post pix of where I do "school"....but I don't actually have a schoolroom. I was going to start a blog and uh...well I've never posted once but I did post some pictures and I've added my schoolroom pix tonight for you all. Our "schoolroom" (if that's what you want to call it) is my dd's bedroom. I tried to take pictures of things on her walls (food pyramid, alphabet, maps, pledge, phonics charts, etc) as well as her computer table and personal books, etc. I also took a picture of my messy shelf in the laundry room where i store things. i have more shelves in my closet....ha ha...but that's way too messy to share a picture of! i took a picture of my kitchen because that's where we actually do "school". the island is roomy and works best for us. i keep most of my daily stuff i'm using on the basket on the kitchen table. anyway - i hope others share too!!!

My link is www.freewebs.com/mytwomonkeys and then click on photos, and then click each photo if you want to enlarge it.

PS - My DD picked the template for my blog!! LOL

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 10-22-2007, 11:01 PM

Mrs. Mercurious-Lake Superior-Gnome mama, I'm hoping you'll pop some pics on your blog!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 AM

Ok, I'll post mine! Our "school" room was a storage room that we cleared out, so it's pretty small. But the kids love playing in it, and Obie seems able to focus well in there.

view from the door

messy bookshelf

view from the desk

Wow! I don't think I realized just how ratty that couch had gotten! DH keeps trying to throw it out, but it's so comfy... :

Anyway, that's our room! The little desk to the left in the first pic is my 5yo's, and the bigger one is my 6yo's. Really the only "school" they do at their desks is math and handwriting.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 AM

We're eclectic unschoolers, so our "schoolroom" is spread all over the house. I strew all kinds of interesting stuff everywhere, so in the interest of saving you guys from the boredom of too many pics of our house, I just took pics of the stuff that actually looks "schoolish".

One of the ways I support the kids learning through unschooling is to set up all kinds of interesting little stations and learning centers. They take it from there. We have a microscope station, maps on the hallway walls, as well as some field guide posters for birds and mammals, a felt board manipulative focusing on pond habitats (with related books), magnetic letters/sound blends/words/etc. for the fridge to encourage them to play with language, etc.

Oh, and if you can't tell, we're studying everything through animals/plants/nature right now - they're absolute favorite things to learn about. And really, if you think about it, there's absolutely no concept that can't be presented through nature discovery.

The computer station is set up and functioning, but I have yet to adorn the desk or walls behind it with anything interesting. It's a new addition to our kitchen area.

Here's the link to the pics:
http://homeschoolingpics.shutterfly....4ZOHFA&notag=1
Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 AM

We don't have a "schoolroom". I do have a wall in the playroom with fun stuff on it -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43774869@N00/407528234/

The playroom is here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/43774869@N00/412703602/

We use the kitchen table for lessons.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 AM

i really love this thread, and i have enjoyed seeing everyone's "school" space. i'm glad i'm not the only one without a specific room dedicated for homeschooling. my husband has a home office right now but i'm hoping one day to hijack that when he gets an office.

also...this thread has inspired me to *attempt* to start a blog ....not sure how well i'll follow through - but i hope i do!

thanks everyone!!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeWoman View Post
We're eclectic unschoolers, so our "schoolroom" is spread all over the house. I strew all kinds of interesting stuff everywhere, so in the interest of saving you guys from the boredom of too many pics of our house, I just took pics of the stuff that actually looks "schoolish".

One of the ways I support the kids learning through unschooling is to set up all kinds of interesting little stations and learning centers. They take it from there. We have a microscope station, maps on the hallway walls, as well as some field guide posters for birds and mammals, a felt board manipulative focusing on pond habitats (with related books), magnetic letters/sound blends/words/etc. for the fridge to encourage them to play with language, etc.

Oh, and if you can't tell, we're studying everything through animals/plants/nature right now - they're absolute favorite things to learn about. And really, if you think about it, there's absolutely no concept that can't be presented through nature discovery.

The computer station is set up and functioning, but I have yet to adorn the desk or walls behind it with anything interesting. It's a new addition to our kitchen area.

Here's the link to the pics:
http://homeschoolingpics.shutterfly....4ZOHFA&notag=1

Bolding mine. I love this. The posters and stations are great Can I ask what kind of microscopes you have? I have been investigating them and am interested in other's opinions.

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures. I love how different, yet homey all the places look. We have some lucky kids

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeWoman View Post
This is how my old house was beginning to look before we even decided to homeschool -- now we're living with my parents & are constrained.... I'll take a couple pix in a bit
Old 10-23-2007, 01:15 PM

Our school. It's the first room you see when you walk in the house.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...adi/school.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...girlsapple.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...lavery0926.jpg

The table DH built

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...olwork0926.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...irls092607.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...lgirls0926.jpg

DH took this one. Notice Mama in PJs and little one rolling on the floor

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...hool100307.jpg

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 10-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot View Post
Bolding mine. I love this. The posters and stations are great Can I ask what kind of microscopes you have? I have been investigating them and am interested in other's opinions.

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures. I love how different, yet homey all the places look. We have some lucky kids
We have an Edu Science model we picked up at Goodwill and a Selsi lab model that we picked up on Ebay. The Edu Science model is just okay. The Selsi model is fabulous. Edu Science we paid $5 for, the Selsi we paid $20 for. I'm always scouting for a good model - it's worth it to me to pay a little bit more to give them something that's better than most of the Edu Science kinds that are on the market and geared to kids. If they can't have a quality experience, I'm just really not sure what the value of the experience is. kwim?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:01 PM

When I saw your house, I thought man that looks like the home that my grandparents used to live in in Houston. It was a neighborhood by Cypress Springs HS. Know where that is?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson'sMommy View Post
When I saw your house, I thought man that looks like the home that my grandparents used to live in in Houston. It was a neighborhood by Cypress Springs HS. Know where that is?
That is funny! We built this house so it's not the house your grandparents lived in
However, we do live in the Cypress area Cypress Falls HS is right around the corner, my oldest goes there
I wonder if we had the same builder?
The wall with the apple numbers is a half wall separating the school room and my office, my DH built it. On the office side it has cubbies that hold clothes.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...Inventory3.jpg

The pictures you see in the background on the left have been replaced with the alphabet border and the calendar underneath it

ETA: I see you live in Missouri.
I went to HS in Kansas City, went to college in St. Louis and had my first two while living in O'Fallon outside of St. Charles. Any chance you live near any of that?

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 10-23-2007, 03:21 PM

I wouldn't say ours is inspirational, but we do most of our learning out & about : As I said before, our old house(s) had a nicer set-up for us, but such is life when you have to live with extended family We have some fun plans brewing for the next house, though! Here's a bit of both playroom + bedroom....

[Edited out the links as the URLs have changed]
Old 10-23-2007, 05:43 PM

I have some pics in my blog in my sig, although I don't think they give a good feel for the room. I'll see if I can find some more. Basically, we have a big blackboard on one wall, we used blackboard paint. Then we have a reading nook in what would be a closet normally, a big round table in the middle, some shelves, and one wall to display artwork.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthbabyjunkie View Post
Mrs. Mercurious-Lake Superior-Gnome mama, I'm hoping you'll pop some pics on your blog!
it too me a minute to get this! i start the thread and can't even manage to get pic's up: i've had a painful dry socket and two sick kids....excuses excuses:
Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 PM

pitiful, pitiful..... could i send you 2 sprites and make it better?LOL! hey, did you get my moo-laa for the ggoods?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthbabyjunkie View Post
pitiful, pitiful..... could i send you 2 sprites and make it better?LOL! hey, did you get my moo-laa for the ggoods?
2 pixie's and a handful of sprites and it's all good i got your moola and in the mail tom......please quit or i'm going to send my attack gnome over there: where are pic's of your schoolroom??
Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

okay here are pic's of our schoolroom. they are on my blog because it was easiest to do it that way. http://lakesuperiorchildrenshouse.blogspot.com/ critique away...especially the cluttered desk with the computer....ideas??
Old 10-25-2007, 12:32 AM

i absolutely love it!!!!!! just love it!!

i'm totally jealous!! i can't wait for my dh to move his office out of our home so i can have a school room too!! i just have no space to really create something like that, but if i ever get the room - that's a lot what i envision. thanks for sharing this and to everyone else too!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
i absolutely love it!!!!!! just love it!!

i'm totally jealous!! i can't wait for my dh to move his office out of our home so i can have a school room too!! i just have no space to really create something like that, but if i ever get the room - that's a lot what i envision. thanks for sharing this and to everyone else too!!!
thank you! i like it, but i'd like to change some of the things in there.

the and more and more on the side are the rest of the pic's. i'm not sure if the link goes directly to the school pic's or not...so you may have to look on the side and search a little. maybe, i'll get them on photobucket soon.

User Tag List