Holistic Eclectic Homeschooling...must have a sense of humour to post here - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birthbabyjunkie View Post

Hey, I got the ebook version of Melisa's A Little Garden Flower 1st grade curriculum, and so far I love the SIMPLE weekly bulleted plan. I agree with whoever said that they need to supplement it, but this is what I need in terms of hand-holding. I can easily see how our unschool-ish nature study (a la Charlotte Mason) would fit in
That's interesting to hear. I have her Kindy book and there wasn't much I felt I could get out of it, really...although there were a few good ideas. I've heard 1st grade is a bit better. We're also looking for something that serves as a potential *basic* outline.

I've been wanting to learn more about Charlotte Mason nature study, too, since ds is extremely into that sort of stuff...we walk 1-2 hours in the forest everyday!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#122 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

i am hoping that all those links i posted don't have to be deleted because of user agreement violation...any ideas on what to do if they have to be removed? can a website be started for free and posting links of free stuff? i don't want to get banned
#123 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
i am hoping that all those links i posted don't have to be deleted because of user agreement violation...any ideas on what to do if they have to be removed? can a website be started for free and posting links of free stuff? i don't want to get banned
Whenever you have a question like this, it's best to just PM a mod. I didn't see anything in this thread that was against the UA though, unless you posted any links that you then profit from whenever they're clicked.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#124 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Whenever you have a question like this, it's best to just PM a mod. I didn't see anything in this thread that was against the UA though, unless you posted any links that you then profit from whenever they're clicked.
i pm'd the mod, but thought she might be ultra-busy and hated bugging her! i don't get profit in any way from them...unless you consider free curriculum profit??
#125 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 01:54 PM

Unless I am missing some backstory, I don't see why it wouldn't be OK. But Dar's in charge!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#126 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Dar

Quote:
i pm'd the mod, but thought she might be ultra-busy and hated bugging her! i don't get profit in any way from them...unless you consider free curriculum profit??
I was coming to PM you, but I'll post here to make sure everyone is clear. Links are fine, great, awesome, unless you're getting something from the company in exchange for posting about them - free months, referral credits, a check, or whatever. We had some trouble with beestar a few months ago, and the current issue is about time4learning (and that thread is open, to, if you want to post questions about the issue there).

Basically, we don't want people using our site and our members to make a profit (except people with a biz sig, who can include biz info in their sigs) and we want to be sure that the info here is an unbiased as possible. Someone who raves about a site and gets paid $20 for doing it is, to me, not as credible as someone who raves about a site and gets nothing from that company.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#127 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 02:53 PM

Kind of OT, but I'm wondering what people are using for foreign language. We would like to start doing french and dd#1 loves listening to some of the french tapes (french playground) we have. i plan to get rosetta stone for myself and waiting for the enki french curriculum.
#128 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
That's interesting to hear. I have her Kindy book and there wasn't much I felt I could get out of it, really...although there were a few good ideas. I've heard 1st grade is a bit better. We're also looking for something that serves as a potential *basic* outline.

I've been wanting to learn more about Charlotte Mason nature study, too, since ds is extremely into that sort of stuff...we walk 1-2 hours in the forest everyday!
I have so far found the outline to satisfy me at this point. I do feel, though, that HOW to teach form drawing and some math lessons will have to come from somewhere else. I didn't like Enki's work with that, so I am looking at Christopherus for the form drawing and either Melisa's suggestion of Dorothy Harrer's math book, or Christopherus.

??? Can you do stories and another math program at the same time? Like, lots of people use Math-U-See here, and I was thinking of looking into Miquon math, but still doing the stories. too much? lord, i don't know...
#129 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 06:27 PM

So, I just wanted to share that we have decided we really like the Golden Tales from the Arabian Nights. We braved story time this morning with the toddler and he did much better than expected. I even got to purposed choose a couple books from the shelves, and I went for the fairy tale/mythology aisle. One of the books is what I linked above ... so far we have read the first story, which is the story about the stories, and then Aladin and Ali Baba. Both boys listened through about a hour of reading (the baby nursed to sleep), and now they are both drawing a picture on their narration page for their main lesson books. It is very cute watching how ds#1 gets scared during parts and tries to bury his head in the couch pillows, and then two seconds later his head is back out of the pillows wanting to know exactly what's going to happen next.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#130 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma View Post
Kind of OT, but I'm wondering what people are using for foreign language. We would like to start doing french and dd#1 loves listening to some of the french tapes (french playground) we have. i plan to get rosetta stone for myself and waiting for the enki french curriculum.
I think we are going to just do a hybrid approach between Rosetta Stone (as a family where the little ones can help find the correct answer but do it together), listening to music (in Spanish, as that's our target foreign language), and getting picture books in Spanish.

Quote:
??? Can you do stories and another math program at the same time? Like, lots of people use Math-U-See here, and I was thinking of looking into Miquon math, but still doing the stories. too much? lord, i don't know...
Personally, I didn't have a whole lot of success, but admittedly I didn't try that hard to mesh the Enki stories with a math program. And, for what it's worth, we use and really like Singapore math.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#131 of 699 Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 PM

My rainbow resources order for Michael is on it's way-whoo hoo!!

I waldorf-up whatever math program I do. I didn't find it too hard. I just substitute gnomes and fairies and treasure for Juan and Sally and cookies in the word problems.

I did finally ditch Miquon math though. I went back to good old-fashioned Oxford-Sadlier Progress in Mathematics.

#132 of 699 Old 11-02-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
I am digging this thread. We are just starting out relaxed homeschoolers and this thread is so useful! I love all the links lakesuperiormom posted.

calynde, I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but Ambleside Online has a Nature Study Guide. The whole site is a free curriculum designed as closely as what Charlotte Mason used. It has links to books or other websites that go along with the study.
#133 of 699 Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

dar and annettemarie-thanks for checking the thread for me!

annettemarie-are you egging us on with ou rrc addidctions? where did you get that great pic of mary in your classroom pic btw?

bbj-u know what we use...we try to weave it with waldorf...and one of these days i'll get the math stories written......good luck with the babe today!

tsume-i hope you can use them!

anybody else care to share a rhythm they have?
#134 of 699 Old 11-02-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
annettemarie-are you egging us on with ou rrc addidctions? where did you get that great pic of mary in your classroom pic btw?
I think I got it from the Catholic Catalog Company, which no longer seems to exist. That's Our Lady of Good Counsel, which seemed appropriate to a school room.

#135 of 699 Old 11-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsume View Post
calynde, I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but Ambleside Online has a Nature Study Guide. The whole site is a free curriculum designed as closely as what Charlotte Mason used. It has links to books or other websites that go along with the study.
Thanks so much! I'll check it out.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#136 of 699 Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 PM

Okay wow, my head's swimming again! Sooooo many incredible resources, where to start? Oh yeah, probably with a rhythm
So, if I have a night owl and a morning bird, do I do their lessons separately, I wonder (eventually, I mean, my almost-4yo is the night owl, and she's the oldest so she's the one I'll be "starting" with)? Dd1 definitely needs time to come into herself in the morning, and has always, even when she was a baby, had her biggest learning breakthroughs at night . . . dd2, otoh, is wide awake and rarin' to go first thing in the morning . . . and although we're not going to officially "start" anything yet because she's not quite 2, I'm trying to plan ahead (why, though, I wonder, given that I have another one on the way? It's not like the household dynamic is going to be static).
Hmmm, I'm not the best for getting going in the morning either. It's been about a week and a half since we've had the TV on, but it's been on all morning today :, just because I can't quite get going.
*sigh*
#137 of 699 Old 11-02-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
Okay wow, my head's swimming again! Sooooo many incredible resources, where to start? Oh yeah, probably with a rhythm
So, if I have a night owl and a morning bird, do I do their lessons separately, I wonder (eventually, I mean, my almost-4yo is the night owl, and she's the oldest so she's the one I'll be "starting" with)? Dd1 definitely needs time to come into herself in the morning, and has always, even when she was a baby, had her biggest learning breakthroughs at night . . . dd2, otoh, is wide awake and rarin' to go first thing in the morning . . . and although we're not going to officially "start" anything yet because she's not quite 2, I'm trying to plan ahead (why, though, I wonder, given that I have another one on the way? It's not like the household dynamic is going to be static).
Hmmm, I'm not the best for getting going in the morning either. It's been about a week and a half since we've had the TV on, but it's been on all morning today :, just because I can't quite get going.
*sigh*
planning ahead...hmmmm...are we nesting? we have rhythms because schedules mean you aren't flexible..: my 3rd is a morning guy and the rest of us are not! i have found, in my sleepless frame of mind, that early morning is the best time for us to be together. i try to utilize this time with just him and we read or do a craft before the others wake. if i'm just exhausted from being up with the baby i will grab a container of multigrain cheerios and thread with a plastic needle and let him string them with alternating colors. get a basket and put some things in there for when you are really tired and bring it out instead of turning the tv on.
#138 of 699 Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
planning ahead...hmmmm...are we nesting? we have rhythms because schedules mean you aren't flexible..: my 3rd is a morning guy and the rest of us are not! i have found, in my sleepless frame of mind, that early morning is the best time for us to be together. i try to utilize this time with just him and we read or do a craft before the others wake. if i'm just exhausted from being up with the baby i will grab a container of multigrain cheerios and thread with a plastic needle and let him string them with alternating colors. get a basket and put some things in there for when you are really tired and bring it out instead of turning the tv on.
I dunno, can you nest at 11 weeks? I just want to be more prepared to be flexible (is that an oxymoron?) this time - I had a terrible time adjusting to 2, but I think it's going to be better this time - I just want to have some kind of rhythm established because I think it will help minimize any chaos. I'm not a very organized person by nature, and I really rebel against rigid schedules, so I need something.
What kind of stuff would you put in an entertainment basket (great idea btw)?
#139 of 699 Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

isn't pregnancy really nine months of nesting? the leap from 1 to 2 kids was harder than the leap from 2 to 3 and from 3 to 4....if i survive i'll let you know! i HATE schedules! i feel like you have to adhere to them and there is no room for spontaneity...which i thrive one! that being said 4 little ones calls for some sense of organization! Entertainment baskets...they can vary...if there are toys that they don't normally play with or you just came across...put them in..it'll be like christmas. i like threading cards like here.... http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102...s=sewing+cards, these..ours are a little different http://www.amazon.com/Anatex-Wooden-...4048830&sr=8-2 with some stones or branches to create scene,http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_t/...s=beading+lace, stickers and blank notebooks, crayons, picture books, a homemade gnome or two and anything else that will keep them busy. you could wrap in silk or other cloth and make it magical to unwrap while you rest or work with the other child. i only bring out when i need some "babysitter" help! items that engage are a huge hit. i made a felt board with a chicka chicka boom boom tree and all the letter in felt to stick on it and that kept my middles busy for awhile. i used the back off a stockmar watercolor pad and glued (yeah i used tacky probably toxic in some way glue ;0) and three sheets of felt..i used the cheap felt from micheal's...i wanted to see how it would hold up and if the kids would really use it first. you can easily make sewing cards by glueing pic's of old picture books onto cardboard and punching holes in them and then taking yarn and glueing the end and let it harden and wala recycled sewing cards...all of my kids love these..we have the ones like on amazon and we take them everywhere. they are awesome in the car!
#140 of 699 Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

#141 of 699 Old 11-02-2007, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

i edited the first post to this thread to include the links i inlcuded in here so it's easier to get at them...i also spilled coffee all over my laptop keypad....i hope that doesn't wreck it!
#142 of 699 Old 11-03-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
...i also spilled coffee all over my laptop keypad....i hope that doesn't wreck it!
I spilled coffee on my laptop a week or so ago...it still works. the keys are sticky-feeling, though. For a few days, though, my keys were doing weird things.

LOL, you did it, too!
#143 of 699 Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I spilled coffee on my laptop a week or so ago...it still works. the keys are sticky-feeling, though. For a few days, though, my keys were doing weird things.

LOL, you did it, too!
a gnome was hopping by and spilled it! i tell you!! it seems to be working fine...i shook it out....probably not supposed to do that either...i was going to use my hair dryer to dry it off...the hair dryer wouldn't work...i quess if you don't use if for three years it quits on ya! how's your babe...i should go check your blog!
#144 of 699 Old 11-03-2007, 12:41 PM

Actually you are not supposed to use the hair dryer anyway. The procedure is switch off, turn up side down to drain, leave for 24 hrs (or more, but being a laptop, who can live without for that long ).

Not sure how laptop keyboards are, but for a normal keyboard, especially, if it was sweetened coffee, you should take out the keys and dry it out inside.

nothing more to say I guess :
#145 of 699 Old 11-03-2007, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

it was black and organic lol...free trade also! it seems to be doing fine....i did have a bunch of weird stuff happen last night on it.
#146 of 699 Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

so, i've been reading the old schoolhouse magazine and there is an article about five in a row and how they made quilt's using pieces from different participants and each one pertained to a book they had read in the curriculum. i was brainstorming and thought it might be fun for us holisticer's to use a fairy or folk tale theme and do a swap (we might have to run it in the swap boards) exchanging pieces of predetermined sized quilt pieces. anyone into this? i realize, we are all super busy and some of us may not be able to sew...but would be a fun little project....any thoughts or ideas.
#147 of 699 Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 AM

I'm always up for some quilting action. Hey! anyone here use Christopherus 1st syllabus and/or the form drawing book?

~~~i'm not admitting to be a curriculum junkie, nope, not me.~~~
#148 of 699 Old 11-04-2007, 07:46 AM

I've used the form drawing book.I have a lot of formdrawing books.Don't know how crazy my kids are about them.I thought it might help their negligible handwriting..........Just finished Tales Told by a Peat Fire.Some of those stories would make some lovely quilt squares.
#149 of 699 Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 AM

saintmom, what do you feel is the best, most informative one? I don't know HOW you introduce them, or what the best sequence of moving through which forms would be.
kwim?
#150 of 699 Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmom View Post
...Just finished Tales Told by a Peat Fire.Some of those stories would make some lovely quilt squares.

Oh we just LOVE that book...each tale dripping with wonder! Did you buy it used or is it back in print?

Lucie

still homeschooling holistically with my two boys, 14 & 10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page