Mothering Forum banner

No Curriculum? Eclectic Curriculum?

643 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  zeldamomma 
#1 ·
Okay, first off I have preschoolers. My oldest is currently 4 yo. However, it took a lot to get dh to agree to homeschool. We started with Oak Meadows pre-K package. But wouldn't you know it, we've expanded from there. So, I'm thinking we're more eclectic at the moment...

Given the path that we seem to be following, it's pretty middle of the road. I'd like to do the arts/ crafts/ daily rhythm and dh is interested in dd learning her letters and numbers to 20. She's pretty much got that down. He'd also like her to learn how to write, but I'm stalling on that. I think it's still early for her. I'd rather she focused on simple lines, shapes, and colors.

I'm looking towards next year. I'm looking for rhythm, he's looking toward basics. I guess what I mean is, I'd rather focus on making homemade playdough, watercolor/ finger paints, and daily chores. He would like for dd to start writing ABCs, learn more numbers, and play. I don't want to waste money on curriculum if we're going to wind up finding most of what we'd like to do on the net (which has so far seemed to be the case for this year.)

So I guess the point I'm driving at here is do you use the net as the source of your curriculum? If so, is there site that is your backbone and you work out from there? Do you opt for a curriculum to have something to work from and then supplement? I'm curious to hear what others do. For next year, dd will be of Kinder age and we'll be doing some preschool items with ds (I have other early childhood items that we can use for him.)

See less See more
#2 ·
The net's an incredible resource!.I wish it had been around when I first started hs.

www.worldbook.com has a standard course of study list,which gives you something to go by as you travel through your year.

www.enchantedlearning.com has a ton of stuff

www.handaofachild.com has nice stuff for lapbooking and yahoo has a lapbooking group

Recently found this site www.alittlegardenflower.com you can read samples of lessons online.

Rest assured your children will learn at their own pace and in their own time in spite of our best efforts.

#3 ·
Right now yes. It would be silly to buy a curriculum if you have the time and resources to put yur own together. I plan to make my own for the next few years for each child.

Between free donwloads online and files sections of related yahoogroups and the lists themselves and file sharing programs, I easily have over 30,000+ files for pre-k, k, 1st grade and general homeschooling.This includes articles, worksheets, activities, crafts, ideas, etc. (mainly through shared downloads, I don't have the time to get all of these myself! LOL)

I also use the library to supplement with books and ideas also, and the programs they have available. But mainly the internet is my main source.

#4 ·
We are eclectic curriculum users. I have been so surprised how many resources just "turn up" when I have a certain focus. It is also funny that sometimes you can't predict what will be a perfect tool to learn any one thing. One of my friends laughs that Costco is her homeschooling source, as her kids love workbooks they find at Costco. Last week I discovered my daughter had found an ABC felt book and she, totally on her own, was sorting out all the pictures and lining them up with the letters-- we have had this felt book for years, but never used it, and somehow she found it and it was the perfect tool for her on that day.

So I would say, have interesting learning things in your house (manipulatives, puzzles, felt books, magnets, magnifying glasses, butterfly net, etc) , make lots of library trips, keep a list of websites that you hear about her on MDC or homeschool blogs that you can turn to for ideas, play games (Cariboo was wonderful for my daughter to learn letters, CandyLand for colors, Hi-ho-Cheerio, Shoots and Ladders, Trouble-- all excellent for number learning)- all these are great curriculum. You can always turn to workbooks if that is something that your child enjoys-- there are plenty of workbooks (even at Costco!), math books etc if your child enjoys those, too.

I personally enjoy not having a curriculum, but instead keeping a masterlist of goals that we are trying to accomplish. I enjoy the creativity and research that I do to help us meet those goals.

#5 ·
In the Homeschooling Gateway to the Internet section of my (noncommercial) website, you'll find annotated links to much more than you could ever need - look especially in the Learning, Teaching - and Online Tools section, but also the Preschool and Kindergarten Learning Activities section. The preschool/kindergarten page has lots of articles at the top, but beneath that box of articles are links to websites that have lots and lots of fun and practical ideas. As you know, there are so many things that are much more basic than the 3Rs at these early ages.

Lillian

#7 ·
We've been using www.starfall.com for letter games, and I'm picking up a gently used abacus tomorrow from a friend so we can play with numbers and counting a bit more. DD is very into adding things up right now, on a small scale (2+3, 5+5, etc.). Only as far as she's got fingers to count with.

Earth*School has been great for craft and science ideas at a preschool level. It offers a lot of nature-based learning experiences and is very creative.

#8 ·
Hi all, and thanks for your responses.

Sorry about the hiatus, but work was nuts this week.
: (My usual MDC time.)

So far dd is a www.starfall.com fan and www.uptoten.com fan. I also use www.letteroftheweek.com with both kids for stories and ideas. I guess I just want to make sure learning leans more towards play with some "academics" thrown in. But since dh is the one who like for the dc to get a "jumpstart" on academics and is home with them while I'm at work full-time, it's a hard thing to balance. I think part of it stems from his poor academic studies in PS and wanting more for the dc. We do read LOTS of stories to the kids, but need to work on more craft activities with them. They also get walks (not really "nature" walks, but we do note the changing seasons of our more urban area) and outside playtime.

I really love the idea of nature-based learning and have sought out packaged curriculum/ guides to use. But after looking at some, it just seemed so unnecessary with the internet and what I find at work (I work in a library.) In fact, I purchased one Earth*School package but wasn't all that impressed with it. I don't think they're awful, but felt that had I put some effort into looking through materials that I have at work I could have done something similar. However, for those with limited libraries or looking for good resources on how to start, I think they are a good tool.

It just seems that packaged curriculum is more useful toward the elementary (ie., Grade 1 and up) years. Even then, I'm sure that's not the case for some families.

Perhaps just going by what our state's "requirements" by grade and mixing in other items of interests to are enough. I'm certain my doubts stem from the fact that we're first time homeschoolers in our families. My mom is about the only one who really supports us in this venture -- everyone else is like, "Oh, so you're going to homeschool them?" [insert raised eyebrow with intoned inflection]
:

#9 ·
i am definitely a structured homeschooler......but i am also eclectic. i have absolutely no loyalty to a method, style, or curriculum. i like a little of everything in all of the methods, so i take what i want and leave the rest. i use whatever works at the time following my dd's lead. if she loses interest, i switch gears (if the item she loses interest in cost money - we resell it). my favorite thing is a scope and sequence because it gives me an idea of what to teach, but leaves me the freedom of how to teach it. i follow the the lessons loosely, & adapt them to meet my dd's learning style. anyway - this is what is working for us. i'm in the process of making a blog and i made a list for myself there of my favorite websites - so they may help you too.

good luck mama!!

#10 ·
For that age, I didn't like "homeschooling curricula" nearly as much as educational toys and games. Monopoly Jr is a great way to learn numbers. We like Leapfrog's Talking Letter Factory boardgame to help cement letters and their sounds. Once my kids knew their letters and numbers they wanted to write them, and we did use "Handwriting without tears" as a resource for that.

I have used the World book site (linked to by pp) and my local school's website as sources of "what my X grader needs to know" I don't always agree with the lists, but I like an outside opinion for a little perspective. It also gives me a gage of what might be expected of my kids in extracurriculars like Sunday school.

ZM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.