Stockmar Crayons: Sticks or Blocks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I'm doing some Christmas shopping online and I wanted to order some Stockmar crayons for my two-year old son. He loves to draw but he has broken all the Crayola crayons I've bought him in the past.

Will the Stockmars hold up to his abuse? Should I get him the blocks, or are the sticks better for drawing? I'm a bit nervous about this purchase as these crayons are expensive and I'm afraid that he's going to destroy them.

Thank you!

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#2 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 05:17 PM

get the blocks and pm me if you want info on a mercurius co-op to get them 45% off
#3 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 05:23 PM

Blocks. We've had ours for 2.5 years and going...

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#4 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 05:34 PM

At that age I would get the blocks. DS does great with them, he seems to want to eat the stick ones.

DD didn't really care for the block crayons, but I think that's because she could hold a pencil/crayon correctly at a young age and didn't feel like she could manipulate the block crayon as precisely as she wanted.

I love our Stockmar crayons! Well worth the money.
#5 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I should have said, that my ds is almost 3, and that he likes to draw with Crayola markers (which I am sick of because the caps are always lost!)...he is starting to draw simple things like happy faces and sail boats...will the blocks still be fun for him?

Thanks for the responses by the way!

#6 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM

My kids prefer the sticks over the blocks. Even at 2 and 3 years old, they wanted nothing to do with the blocks.
#7 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 PM

I would go for the sticks then. You know he's comfortable with the feel and you wouldn't want to buy the blocks and have them sitting in the tin because he "can't draw the eyes!"
#8 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 06:12 PM

The stick crayons will break if you use a lot of pressure...so I like blocks for the younger kiddos under six.
#9 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 PM

Do they wash off walls, tables, furniture etc.?
#10 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 12:21 AM

My boys won't touch the blocks (but to load them into their trucks ). The sticks are nice. They have only broken 1 in many months - whereas all the cheapie crayons break on the first day. Only thing that bugs me is they peel the wrapper off of the sticks and then it gets all over their hands when they draw. Ah well. I have had luck washing them off the table/bookshelves, but haven't had to try a wall or anything more porous yet!

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
#11 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 AM

I've always heard that until children have fully developed their fine motor skills (around later ages) that one should always give them sticks/pencils/pens so they can learn how to hold the object and use it properly with their fingers. After that skill has been developed, then one can offer blocks or chunkier crayons.

So at age two, I'd go with the sticks. If they break, that will teach him to use gentler pressure, just as allowing my 3 year old to put the eggs in the fridge has taught her to be gentle as well (after a few breaks!)
#12 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to go with the sticks, since ds is already pretty fussy about getting those little details into his drawings.

Sancta, I agree with you about teaching kids to be gentle. My son is pretty rough with a lot of things, but sometimes I let him handle eggs too so he can learn to be careful (he has broken only a few), and when we have tea parties I let him use a real china tea cup and he's always been very careful with it. I guess he understands that some things you have to be gentle with. Perhaps I can make him understand that these crayons are more special than the cheap ones he likes to break!

#13 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 PM

Just hopping in here to say that I purchased our first sets of Stockmar blocks and sticks back in 2000, and we still have them 7 years later!! My kids color all the time! They are amazing! (the kids and the crayons!)

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#14 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 12:26 PM

My kids are 7, 7 and 11, and they still love the blocks for certain things. They like to use them when they "copy" something like a leaf or coins from the back of the paper to the front. They put the object on the back, and rub the block on the front. My girls just did that the other day with several nice leaves. My son wants to take the blocks to a cemetary and copy tombstone writings.

Jyotsna

will the blocks still be fun for him?

Laura,

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#15 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM

I bought two mixed sets 8 blocks/ 8 sticks in the recent co-op but i havn't got them yet. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

:
#16 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 PM

we loved the blocks. especially at that age.

for all those broken stick crayons, melt them in mini muffin tins in a warm oven.

for the responder who wondered about his difficulty "doing the eyes" I'd say the blocks have enough sharp corners- and by the time he's interested in tiny details like eyes, he won't be breaking the stick crayons. and most 2 yr olds don't make tiny eyes, they fill the whole page with one face that may or may not have eyes.

they're beeswax, they wash nicely off walls, especially with simple green, orange cleaner, mr clean magic eraser or sometimes warm warm water and lemon juice
#17 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
we loved the blocks. especially at that age.

for all those broken stick crayons, melt them in mini muffin tins in a warm oven.

for the responder who wondered about his difficulty "doing the eyes" I'd say the blocks have enough sharp corners- and by the time he's interested in tiny details like eyes, he won't be breaking the stick crayons. and most 2 yr olds don't make tiny eyes, they fill the whole page with one face that may or may not have eyes.

they're beeswax, they wash nicely off walls, especially with simple green, orange cleaner, mr clean magic eraser or sometimes warm warm water and lemon juice
we have both and my 3 yr old always gravitates to the blocks. holding a pencil,crayon or marker to "develop" the finger muscles into proper coordination at such and early age causes strain and IMPROPER grip. it is much harder to hold an object that is thinner than a wide block. boys more than girls need more time to strengthen their fine motor. my 3 yr old drew a very detailed witch this afternoon with the blocks their is a proper way to introduce the block and stick crayons to the child. the parent needs to guide the child in proper instruction with using either the block or stick.there are some links about using the crayons here http://www.mercurius-usa.com/product...oducts_id=3199
#18 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 PM

okay, i came here with the intention of posting the yahoo group for mercurius http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MERCURIUSCO-OP/ you can get crayons as low as $6.
#19 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 11:01 PM

Two of our sticks were broken when they arrived and the rest broke soon after. I really wasn't that impressed with them. I didn't think they were much different from a fat crayola crayon. I thought the wax would be softer and the colors more vivid, but not really.
#20 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 PM

I'd get the blocks. We like both. DS is a self-proclaimed artist, and is pretty particular about his materials. He loves to do shading and the blocks are perfect. I love the idea about going to the cemetery to do tombstones...cool!

BTW, with old crayolas (which I had a huge amount of after I quit teaching), you could either donate to preschools or daycares (they'd love them!) or melt them down and make your own crayon blocks in muffin tins or ice cube trays.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#21 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
Two of our sticks were broken when they arrived and the rest broke soon after. I really wasn't that impressed with them. I didn't think they were much different from a fat crayola crayon. I thought the wax would be softer and the colors more vivid, but not really.
beeswax crayons are supposed to be opaque similar to watercolor paintings.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page