Am I done for the year? or what should a 1st grader know? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we started our first year of official HSing with a bang and dd made some huge steps. My 5 yo learned to write letters in appropriate case and scale on lined paper and proper letter/word spacing. She can add quantities less than 10 and can count/recognize numbers/quantities up to 100, and she can read simple sentences composed of sound out and a few basic sight words.

Am I done for the year? It's important to me that we stay caught up with school grade level tasks because I need the peace of mind that she'd be able to easily transfer if something happened and we couldn't HS but if we've got those skilled covered I'm open to unschooling.

My neighbor tells me that dd's got all the skills the her ds is just starting to learn in 1st grade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 AM

I don't really know what you mean by "done." What would you do with your time if you DID decide you were "done" for the year?
#3 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 AM

If you want to keep her aligned with what would be her grade level and feel she's already there, then I would take that as freedom to pursue whatever other interests she has now. Whatever form that takes is up to you, in terms of whether you have a formal school time or something more free flowing.
#4 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What would you do with your time if you DID decide you were "done" for the year?
I don't know, whatever we did before we hit the books, lol? I'm a goal oriented person w/o a goal, KWIM? We've pretty much finished my minimum goals for the year, I don't see much point in moving academically beyond what the schools would teach, I think that would as many problems as being behind if she went to school next year. So I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do next. I guess we'll unschool, maybe?
#5 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat View Post
I don't see much point in moving academically beyond what the schools would teach, I think that would as many problems as being behind if she went to school next year. So I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do next. I guess we'll unschool, maybe?
Unschooling is not going to prevent her from moving ahead. Unschooling will allow her to explore whatever she's interested in and ready for. It's certainly not a way to hold her back.

Not wanting her to fall behind or move ahead sounds as if you want her to be in a sort of holding pattern until the next "school year." Is that really what you're wanting?

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#6 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMom View Post
Unschooling is not going to prevent her from moving ahead. Unschooling will allow her to explore whatever she's interested in and ready for. It's certainly not a way to hold her back.

Not wanting her to fall behind or move ahead sounds as if you want her to be in a sort of holding pattern until the next "school year." Is that really what you're wanting?
i agree. obviously, she is wanting to learn and has a gift...why stop so she can fit into a box? in our home we go waaaay beyond that in 1st grade. get the what your grader needs to know books if you need inspiration. what are you doing for art,science,history, and movement? you can unschool if you'd like....but unschoolers don't like to fit into a box if you need someone to "give permission" to unschool...here it is you've accomplished alot and that is great!
#7 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
huh? You're going to hold your child back from learning so that she won't be bored if she ever goes back to school?

I can understand being relaxed about learning, and following the child's lead from this point forward, knowing that she's "not behind". But I wouldn't actively hold her back from learning "first grade things" if she's ready and interested in them. Isn't that the whole point of homeschooling- to teach your child at her own level and not to the state-mandated requirements?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#8 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 01:47 PM

you could also focus on learning a foreign lanquage.
#9 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
you could also focus on learning a foreign lanquage.
Yes, I've seen people focus very successfully on language, music and the arts rather than the reading/math.

You really sound like you're in a great position, OP, especially if you can get yourself to enjoy the freedom you're faced with!
#10 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 02:53 PM

For Amethysts kindergarten year I decided to go by the outline in Home Learning year by year, loosely.
She has learned how to read at about a 2nd grade level.
She can add and subtract up to 10.
Learning the 7 continents and the oceans.
Learning about money.
Learning to tell time.
Understands 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc...
And more that I can't remember, LOL!

We also have started on 1st grade workbooks, just because she loves them and I found them cheap at Goodwill.
I will probably order a 1st grade curriculum at the beginning of the year. Trying to organize a curriculum myself is way to stressful. I need it outlined for me.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#11 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 03:52 PM

Were reading & math your only goals?
What were your goals based on or where did these goals comes from?
Does she have any of her own goals/interests that have not been fostered during this time?

There's a lot more to learning than merely reading & math ... there are MANY forms of literacy
#12 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 PM

I don't see it as a matter of falling ahead or behind. It's a matter of just relaxing and letting her branch out in her own way. You can introduce all sorts of fun and interesting things to her and also help her follow her own interests in whatever ways she's drawn to. Now that you've satisfied your own goals for her, you have no reason left to not feel free to just let her soar! That's unschooling. What you were doing before was just schooling. Lillian
#13 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 04:41 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
if something happened and we couldn't HS but if we've got those skilled covered I'm open to unschooling.
This situation (having a young child far exceeding age-based expectations for academic type learning) is what made me comfortable with unschooling. If you need that too, then you've got it. Jump on in to unschooling, the water's fine!

The problem is, far from keeping her from moving ahead further, you may very well find that unschooling does the opposite. My unschooled kids like systematic math programs, but I've recently been trying to nudge my 8yo away from sequential math skill acquisition for no other reason than that I haven't really found the right program to follow her current one (which she's almost done). So anyway, darned if she didn't decide she finds calculus fascinating. She's been merrily plotting out iterations of converging fraction series and trying to figure out how all this fits in with calculus and physics. Pushing her off into more unschooled, unstructured directions certainly didn't slow her down.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#14 of 16 Old 10-26-2007, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I'm really not expressing myself well...I guess I am asking for permission to unschool, lol.

I don't mean to hold my dd back I just don't want to push her in too far into the 3Rs at the expense of other stuff. My hs time budget is really limited because I work FT and dd2 is nursing. It's been so easy to teach reading and math she likes it, and I don't have to be creative but, I worry that it'll come at the expense of other stuff if I continue along that route.
#15 of 16 Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Sorry I'm really not expressing myself well...I guess I am asking for permission to unschool, lol.

I don't mean to hold my dd back I just don't want to push her in too far into the 3Rs at the expense of other stuff. My hs time budget is really limited because I work FT and dd2 is nursing. It's been so easy to teach reading and math she likes it, and I don't have to be creative but, I worry that it'll come at the expense of other stuff if I continue along that route.
permission granted i found that nursing is a perfect time to grab a book and cuddle up and read to my kids. we always have books handy! add some fun projects and continue the learning process alongside.
#16 of 16 Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 AM

Well, you seem to have the picture! So I guess we'll let you unschool.

So, okay, let the adventure begin!

Warning: Side effects of unschooling may include a cheery demeanor, excitement about learning new things, exhilaration, and giddiness. There may be gradual lapses of memory about what "school" is, and there can be new experiences of thinking outside the box. If feelings of euphoria continue for an extended period, just flow with it.

- Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page