dangerous book for boys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Book...3525493&sr=8-1

this book just came in the mail today and we already love it. i think it would be awesome for anyone, but HSers especially. and the gender thing irritates me to no end, get this for your girls too!!! my son is 6 and a little young to do most of it on his own, but we are excited anyway. there is a 'girl' version coming out next month i believe.

blogging.jpg 
#2 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 08:13 PM

I am glad you posted this, I was thinking of getting this for my husband as a Christmas gift, since he loves having all sorts of fun things to do with DS when I am at work.
#3 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 08:15 PM

What's the girl one going to include? How to braid hair in six different ways? How to write a secret note in code so your crush won't see it? How to skip rope?

Stuff like this makes me *crazy*. No offense to you - I know you said it irritates you as well, but why does it have to be gender specific??? My daughters would like to learn how to play rugby and tie different kinds of knots but there is no way I would purchase a book for them that says on the front it is for boys.
#4 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 08:19 PM

It is a great book. We love it.

There is another book similar to this at B&N entitle something like 101 Things Everyone Used to Know How to Do.

It is fun also.
#5 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 08:34 PM

this book is fantastic - we've had it since the spring and it's carted around everwhere we go. It's really influenced our summer.

I found this about the Daring Book for Girls
Includes everything you need for an essential toolkit; five karate moves every girl should know; important women of the last century; ghost stories and rainy day games; famous women spies; how to change a tire; campfire songs; stocks and bonds; ancient queens and modern princesses; and more!

The gender thing doesn't bother me. It's not a manifesto - it's just a collection of stuff that boys are drawn to, but it doesn't mean girls can't enjoy it too. We're getting a family copy of the Daring book for girls because my sons are looking forward to it as well.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#6 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 08:42 PM

Does anyone know what the British edition has in it? I see that the US edition has been edited to include things such as US states and mountains, so I'm wondering what the UK ed. has in place of that.
#7 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 08:56 PM

The gender thing bugs me too!
#8 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 09:01 PM

We have the British edition. I haven't seen the US one but Amazon.ca has a list of the American Revisions.

I'm not sure where they overlap but my guess is that these sections are different/removed from the US version
rules for cricket,
Patron Saints of Britian,
Kings and Queens of England and Scotland,
the famous battles and extaordinary stories section
the Commonwealth
Naval flag codes
conkers
insects and spiders
common British trees
The British empire timeline

Our version does not have
Baseball's "Most Valuable Players"
Famous Battles-Including Lexington and Concord, The Alamo, and Gettysburg
stickball
The States of the U.S.
Mountains of the U.S.
The Declaration of Independence
Common US Trees
Timeline of American History

So basically it's pretty similar and just reflects historical and sports differences.

hth
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#9 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

i know! i happen to have a boy and a girl so we'll all enjoy both, but even if i only had one or the other i'd get both. i am very open with my son about gender issues, race issues etc. so when we looked at it, i just talked about how its yet another example of gender typing and we talked about how it says it's for boys but really anyone can appreciate it, a lesson in old fashioned ways. i don't see why you couldn't do that for your dd's as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyElephant View Post
What's the girl one going to include? How to braid hair in six different ways? How to write a secret note in code so your crush won't see it? How to skip rope?

Stuff like this makes me *crazy*. No offense to you - I know you said it irritates you as well, but why does it have to be gender specific??? My daughters would like to learn how to play rugby and tie different kinds of knots but there is no way I would purchase a book for them that says on the front it is for boys.

blogging.jpg 
#10 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Wow, I think I'd like both of these!

Knots are in the girl one. And a scooter and a tree swing (soooo cool!).

I wonder if there's any overlap between the books? The don't seem to be overtly "gender specific" for the most part (some stuff) based on what the videos show . . .
#11 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 11:11 PM

To defend the authors a little, this book (and the Daring one for girls) are basically throw backs to the kind of annuals that used to be published in Britain every Xmas, with different books for boys and girls, different age groups, etc. I used to get Bunty and Diana every year from British relatives, along with the non-gender specific but totally hilarious Beano. My brothers used to get the boy books and I definitely felt they got the short end of the stick. My books were filled with exactly what the Daring book has, ghost stories, tales of brave women, british folk tales, how to's (make your own clothes, paint your bedroom, etc.)

I don't have any problem with the gender thing. Having struggled to raise a boy (who's very much a boy's-boy, think Pig-Pen crossed with the Tasmanian Devil) in a post-feminist, very pc neighborhood, where "boy's stuff" is almost a dirty word, it's really nice to see something about boys world being celebrated. It bugs me that parents have jumped on this book so much, but don't any problem with the enormous amount of girl-specific stuff out there (and not just the "braid your hair" type books, how come there is no "boys in history" series of books like the American Girl series?)
#12 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alima View Post

I don't have any problem with the gender thing. Having struggled to raise a boy (who's very much a boy's-boy, think Pig-Pen crossed with the Tasmanian Devil) in a post-feminist, very pc neighborhood, where "boy's stuff" is almost a dirty word, it's really nice to see something about boys world being celebrated. It bugs me that parents have jumped on this book so much, but don't any problem with the enormous amount of girl-specific stuff out there (and not just the "braid your hair" type books, how come there is no "boys in history" series of books like the American Girl series?)

#13 of 216 Old 10-27-2007, 11:52 PM

I am planning on getting this for my son for his birthday, he will be 9.
#14 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I also wanted to quote this and .

This book is awesome. I ordered it for my son and my husband saw it and flipped out he loved it so much.
#15 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyElephant View Post
My daughters would like to learn how to play rugby and tie different kinds of knots but there is no way I would purchase a book for them that says on the front it is for boys.
Oh, that is just silly. Buy it for them, they will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
The gender thing doesn't bother me. It's not a manifesto - it's just a collection of stuff that boys are drawn to, but it doesn't mean girls can't enjoy it too. We're getting a family copy of the Daring book for girls because my sons are looking forward to it as well.

I know both my sons and my daughters would enjoy both copies without paying any mind to the title. But the my boys sew and knit and cook, and my girls work on cars and handle firewood, so .
#16 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 12:15 AM

We borrowed this book from the library and love it! We are definitely going to have to buy it! I also want to get the one for girls.

Wife to my beautiful Sky and SAHM to my three beautiful kids (12/01) , (3/07), and (5/10). We : : and. Peace to all of you wonderful mamas!
#17 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 12:19 AM

I was a "tomboy" growing up and I would have been highly offended having read this, also a bit humiliated possibly, that the things I liked were considered "boys" things. That's my take on the gender issue.
#18 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 12:20 AM

They kids also get a book at christmas, i was thinking of getting my son(10) this one. Great to hear good reviews.
#19 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 12:20 AM

Now on the book issue, I have 3 boys coming up the pipeline, so for them, I'll have to check it out.
#20 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 02:46 AM

My grown son called me awhile back to tell me about it - he thinks it's great! You can look inside it or search inside it on the Amazon site - you can read a lot of excerts that way to find out what you think.

And the girls' edition is available Oct. 30:
The Daring Book for Girls. Amazon doesn't have a search feature for it yet - but it has a fun little video all about it. I think a lot of girls would enjoy both books, and probably a lot of boys too.

I don't find the gender thing troublesome either...

Lillian
#21 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 03:25 AM

Quote:
#22 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 08:18 AM

Karen that actually helps a lot. I think I'd prefer the UK version, personally. At first, I was thinking about it for my nephew who is ten, but then I thought my Dad and Grandfather would probably enjoy it too. and if I'm getting one for my nephew, maybe my 7 yr old niece too...
#23 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Um, because that's included in every history book I've ever read? Have you seen Sleepy Hallow? Read the Declaration of Independence? Turned on cable? Watched a historical film? I'd be hard pressed to know that girls did anything other than linger on their fainting couches in all of human history if these books didn't exist. Of course, there are multiple feminist critiques of American Girl too, like the fact that all the slaves are always smiling as they toil away...

However, I'm concerned that so many people are apologists for labeling cool childhood adventures with gender and justifying that labeling by saying that we also did it in the past. :

Gender typing them just labels the *kids* that are reading them as gender nonconformists (rather than just a label for the book). When that's not the truth at all, since many boys will like the boys book just as many boys will hate those types of activities. But darn it, those boys that don't *will* get the message that they're suspect as true boys. As they are.

We have a tomboy and a girly girl (so far) and we def love all books and don't censor around here, but we'd definitely use books like these to point out how the book use the words "boy" and "girl" to police them. And how that's not nice to do to kids.
#24 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 09:25 AM

My boys have had this since it first came out...nice book- it basically compiles all the stuff they knew in a very nice book....I bought it b/c as a kid(girl) I would've loved it! And I wouldn't have cared about the title,as i don't today. C'mon.let's be fair, the shelves are full of 'girl' titles,and my boys sometimes don't want to read something,thinking it's aimed at girls only.......
#25 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 AM

I got the book for my ds-6 a couple of months ago. We love it.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#26 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniedare View Post
Um, because that's included in every history book I've ever read? Have you seen Sleepy Hallow? Read the Declaration of Independence? Turned on cable? Watched a historical film? I'd be hard pressed to know that girls did anything other than linger on their fainting couches in all of human history if these books didn't exist. Of course, there are multiple feminist critiques of American Girl too, like the fact that all the slaves are always smiling as they toil away...

However, I'm concerned that so many people are apologists for labeling cool childhood adventures with gender and justifying that labeling by saying that we also did it in the past. :

Gender typing them just labels the *kids* that are reading them as gender nonconformists (rather than just a label for the book). When that's not the truth at all, since many boys will like the boys book just as many boys will hate those types of activities. But darn it, those boys that don't *will* get the message that they're suspect as true boys. As they are.

We have a tomboy and a girly girl (so far) and we def love all books and don't censor around here, but we'd definitely use books like these to point out how the book use the words "boy" and "girl" to police them. And how that's not nice to do to kids.
Hmm - Have you even see the book you are railing against or are you judging it soley by its cover?
There's everything from growing sunflowers to appreciating Shakespeare to learning Latin phrases to making paper airplanes and playing chess and cricket in this book. I doubt there's a boy or girl alive who wouldn't find something in there that they connect with which leads me to believe it is far more affirming than divisive. (the whole common ground concept.) It will likely introduce readers (male and female) to topics and ideas they haven't been exposed to. It's an excellent book. And because of it, my son is clamouring for the girl's version - can't wait to see it. And my daughter who doesn't read yet has asked for both copies for Christmas.

Do you have a son? (i'm sorry I didn't check your sig before responding)
I think the messages boys receive these days are far more restrictive than the ones girls receive and the statistics bare that out. Boys are more likely to fail in school, be suspended, drop out, commit suicide, do drugs. They now are less likely to attend or graduate from post secondary education. Girls outnumber boys now in student government, law and medicine in university.

I hate that there are people who think my sons don't deserve things that affirm them as male because of the "sins of the father" didn't also affirm females in the same way historically. We have had a culture of affirming girls to the detriment of boys for a long time now. And I personally think it's great that this book is out there and that it is named the Dangerous Book for Boys if it leads even one boy to shut off the Nintendo and explore it's pages because it affirms so many ways to be a boy. I'm sure the girls version (assuming it is of the same quality) will be the same way.

I don't understand your comment about the name of a book being used to police children. You don't have to pass a DNA test before buying the book. If you want to pass it on to your girls then do so. And if you are truly worried about equality then work for ways to affirm boys as much as we as a society affirm girls. I think this book is a step in the right direction.

Karen

#27 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 11:13 AM

There is a whole discussion board regarding the gender issue here http://www.conniggulden.com/Forum/ph...pic.php?t=2505 and the author responds.

both of my boys love this book.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#28 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMom View Post
There is a whole discussion board regarding the gender issue here http://www.conniggulden.com/Forum/ph...pic.php?t=2505 and the author responds.

both of my boys love this book.
Thanks for passing that on
Karen

#29 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Excellent post Karen.

I have been thinking about getting these books for a while, and after reading all the positive comments I think I'm going to have to add them onto my Christmas shopping list. They sound like so much fun!

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#30 of 216 Old 10-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
this book is fantastic - we've had it since the spring and it's carted around everwhere we go. It's really influenced our summer.

I found this about the Daring Book for Girls
Includes everything you need for an essential toolkit; five karate moves every girl should know; important women of the last century; ghost stories and rainy day games; famous women spies; how to change a tire; campfire songs; stocks and bonds; ancient queens and modern princesses; and more!

My problem with it so far is that other than tire-changing and karate, both of which are very helpful, I notice that almost everything else you mentioned basically involves sitting and listening to stories, but the DBB has many more activities geared toward actually DOING something rather than sitting and listening to what other peeps did.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page