Singapore math question-K vs Primary 1st - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-28-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there anyone out there with experience on this? I want try this program out. My dd is right in between K and 1st grade (December b-day). She already knows a lot of addition and subtraction that she learned on her own, so I'm trying to figure out if the K or 1st grade books would be more appropriate.
We mostly play and unschool, so this is a new foray for us. Dd has requested some more workbooks and really likes math.
I'd appreciate it so much if anyone has personal experience or knows where I could find out more. Thank you.
#2 of 6 Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM

You might check the Sonlight website (sonlight.com). They have samples of Singapore, as well as a scope and sequence.
#3 of 6 Old 10-28-2007, 10:17 PM

I'd go for the 1st then.

The 1st is a bit harder (obviously)... Right now, my son is doing a series of workbook pages that involve picking 2 numbers (out of 5) that add up to one specific number. It's hard for him, but he really likes the way it's done.

I'll see if I have time to pull out the K books tonight and review their contents, but I'd go for 1st. It seems pretty easy.
#4 of 6 Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 AM

Given your description, I'd go with the 1st grade workbook.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 6 Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 AM

I'd go for the 1st, too. We just started it and we skipped over several of the first lessons because ds had already mastered the basics of number identification and such.
#6 of 6 Old 10-29-2007, 10:57 AM

My son is the same age as your daughter and he is 10 pages from finishing the K Singapore and we've already got the Primary 1 books here so yes, it sounds like she ought to go ahead and start those. If you get them and think they are just a bit too much (which I don't think you will) then you could order the K 2A and 2B books.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page