Kindergarten November 2007... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 11-10-2007, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Random question:

I love this thread, I'll definately continue reading no matter what, but sometimes I feel a bit awkward posting. I'm concerned that people might get the wrong idea about their kindergarteners because they're not doing the things that BeanBean does. It's pretty cool thus far, but I don't want anyone to feel that they should be doing more with their kids, or that I should be doing less, or whatever-- all the kids are different and doing different things. We've all been pretty mellow and laid back thus far, but I thought I'd address the potential before things got nasty or whatever.

Forgive me if this is poorly-worded, I think I need to eat something. d

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 11-10-2007, 08:04 PM

i don't think there's anything wrong with what you are doing for BeanBean. you know your child best and you have your personal homeschool philosophy that you have developed and believe in. that is perfect.

the only reason we do what we do is that my eldest begs to do even more school than i can give her in one day-- that's just how she is. there are days she just wants to play, so that's what we do.

don't feel awkward- you're a great kindy mom!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#33 of 50 Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Random question:

I love this thread, I'll definately continue reading no matter what, but sometimes I feel a bit awkward posting. I'm concerned that people might get the wrong idea about their kindergarteners because they're not doing the things that BeanBean does. It's pretty cool thus far, but I don't want anyone to feel that they should be doing more with their kids, or that I should be doing less, or whatever-- all the kids are different and doing different things. We've all been pretty mellow and laid back thus far, but I thought I'd address the potential before things got nasty or whatever.

Forgive me if this is poorly-worded, I think I need to eat something. d
eilony, i don't compare my children to yours or any other at all so i wouldn't worry about it one bit. my kids are exactly where they need to be, as i'm sure bean bean is too.

PS - 1st time mummy to lore, i love your blog too!!! i'm so glad you shared!!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#34 of 50 Old 11-10-2007, 09:46 PM

Being the total dork that I am I did NOT see this thread seriously must have looked right past it several times, so I posted on octobers thread thinking everyone had been busy & had no time to post

Quote:
Random question:

I love this thread, I'll definately continue reading no matter what, but sometimes I feel a bit awkward posting. I'm concerned that people might get the wrong idea about their kindergarteners because they're not doing the things that BeanBean does.
No way, don't quit sharing what you're up to with Bean! All kids learn differently & at different paces, nobody is going to get grumpy at you because bean may be ahead of where their kids are : Least of all my because my 5yo is so far ahead of the kindergarten class he was in at ps that I dunno what to do with him some days : Yes I'm happy he's bright... but does he have to get the best of ME? :

I posted on the old thread asking if anyone's using Tanglewood's curriculum guide? Someone recommended AO as similar so I'm going to browse that one.

I'm going to confess that ds's school rang (from an inquiry before we moved a few weeks ago) to let us know that despite being out of their area we were still welcome to bring him back (he'd been out for 8 weeks with health concerns) .. I was momentarily tempted as I was having a shocking day with the boys : But we're going ahead with homeschooling 1) because we know it's going to be better for HIM and 2) because it'd be a nightmare to try to get him there being a one car family & dh working weird shifts

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#35 of 50 Old 11-11-2007, 02:25 AM

Well my in laws & hubby's grandmother just came out for an afternoon visit and of course someone had to ask it. Nan asked when lucas was going back to school, if next yr or what. I started to waffle a bit but I finally said we are going to homeschool him most likely as we think it'll be better for him. The conversation that followed really suprised me, although I am not sure why in retrospect lol. Mum & dad lean to a hippy sorta lifestyle anyway.. organic & natural stuff. Mum actually asked what kind of program I was thinking of and we sat at my computer and I showed her the many & varied types I've been looking at. She actually asked how much they were so I get the impression that she wants to help out a bit (you'd have to know mum she's just that kinda grandmother!)

I was already pretty set on homeschooling anyway, but was not looking forward to discussing it & feeling like I had to justify why I wanted to do things differently. I'm feeling so excited now because my little hs'ers grandparents are going to be supportive of his education at home!! : Mums even got him a wicked interactive globe on layby so he'll get lots of educational goodies I'm sure.

And although this is slightly OT for this thread... she's as shocked at all the lead paint recalls etc and the bindeez recalls and is just going to go to the locally made wooden toy shop for the kids from now on! bonus! lol

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#36 of 50 Old 11-11-2007, 06:57 AM

That's fantastic about the grandparents. For our part, my mom, while not entirely willing to concede that school is evil, is all in favor of keeping kids at home. Every other statement about my nieces' school is a complaint, and I think she's finally accepted that school is not what it once was, as well as the idea that some children should probably never go to school. She says that if she'd known it was possible, she would have kept us out of school, too, though she's not sure how she would have managed. I have to laugh at this, because she totally agrees that I would have been better off with a library card and a bus pass than I was at school most years. Heck, there were a few years when I'd have been better off locked in a closet with a flashlight and books shoved under the door.

We're having a slow couple of weeks. Bean's only got half of his courses, so I figured it was a good time to take a break and he is willing to go along with it. Once we have the new course materials, we'll begin again in earnest. December and January should be wild months for the boychild.

#37 of 50 Old 11-16-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hey! How is everyone doing? Any cool thanksgiving crafts?
We are in a REALLY good place right now, so we are doing great! We came into a bit of extra money so I decided to put some to good use on homeschooling stuff. I searched and searched (and searched and searched) for a curriculum that I liked for 1st grade. Well, I couldn't find one.... So I decided to try time4learning and it has worked soooo great for us. Amethyst is in 2nd grade LA, 1st grade math, science and SS. She absolutely loves it. She gets up in the morning ready to learn and it is so neat! She is doing so good! And I like it because it takes care of all the core classes and leaves me to do the fun stuff. Crafts, projects, playing. I was so stressed out before trying to teach her a lesson that I didn't want to be with her at all once were done.
So, anyway, thats a big phew for me!
Whats up with you guys?

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#38 of 50 Old 11-16-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:

...I would have been better off with a library card and a bus pass than I was at school most years. Heck, there were a few years when I'd have been better off locked in a closet with a flashlight and books shoved under the door.
Rynna, are you me? That thought actually helps me ride out the jitters 'cause my dd1 is just like me in a lot of ways.

In other news, yesterday, my vet let the girls help biopsy a fatty tumor. Life is good.
#39 of 50 Old 11-19-2007, 11:12 AM

Meh, we're doing OK -- better emotionally, kind of, I think ... but somewhere along the lines I let us get caught in a cycle of VERY late to bed, very late to rise & that's something I need to work on (however, the procrastinator in me says I'll do that after this week, LOL) : We're attempting some Thanksgiving units this week.
#40 of 50 Old 11-20-2007, 02:29 AM

Bean and BooBah are spending a couple of days at my mom's house. It's a good time for it, because three of his new classes *still* haven't arrived... : I sent some books, so he'll still be able to do language arts, but the science and history I was waiting on so that he could complete them around the same time (hopefully a couple of weeks before Seamonkey arrives). But yeah, it's a good time for a break, because of the big spaces in his calendar.

We had a blended program meeting last week, for art. BeanBean does not enjoy drawing, coloring, or painting-- even blending oil pastels had limited appeal for him. In any case, he said, "This is too complicated!" and threw a bit of a fit. "It's too much work! It's hard!!" I told him that school was supposed to be work, and he said, "History isn't work. Neither are science or math!" The other moms kind of looked at him, and I told him very calmly that math was about to get a lot harder, and that the history and science would probably remain easy for a little while but they would get more difficult eventually. BeanBean though was very odd, being the only kindergartener who would say that art was the hardest school subject of all. I think art and handwriting will continue to be work for him for a long time to come; He's a lot like me that way.

#41 of 50 Old 11-20-2007, 03:23 AM

Haven't read everything but I wanted to sub.
Technically if DD were going to school she wouldn't head off to Kindergarten until 08. she just turned 5.
We are basically unschooling at the moment. It feels right for now.
DD is really into bats and caves and we tried and experiment to make stalicites and stalagmites but it didn't work.
she is also learning about where babies come form : and I am trying to keep myself calm during biology 101.

She can't read yet but has some words memorized; like she will spell, M.I.L.K but I don't think if she saw it written she could read it.
she has a few words like that.
she has a fabulous pen pal in Australia.
she is also building a fairy house out of popsicle sticks.
She is making some friends at the Y and even had a little boy give her a plastic heart as a gift so socially i think she is doing pretty well, also.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#42 of 50 Old 11-20-2007, 03:49 PM

Rynna,
BeanBean reminds me of my 5yo DS -- he hates writing, primarily because he isn't great at it yet, and he's a perfectionist. He won't try very hard at anything unless he's pretty sure he can do it well. So, I've had to be creative with a lot of aspects of our curriculum. Our math program tries to involve a lot of writing, but I've been able to modify it so far so he's able to be successful without the writing. For example, we just circle the right answers instead of tracing them, or we put stickers in the boxes instead of coloring them in. I'm trying to encourage different art type things, and am enjoying Kumon workbooks so far for that. The ones I got are very simple, but he seems to enjoy them so far anyway.

Things for us are going well overall. We're having a light week this week, since we have a lot of family in for the holiday. But I figured we'd have a review week for handwriting, and we made his first lapbook this morning to showcase his tracing abilities so far. He did some of his absolute best tracing that I've ever seen today.

Overall, I'm really glad we're doing this -- I've seen such a wonderful improvement in his attitude and stress levels. The return of peace to our home has been a welcome relief. I have no doubt this is the right decision, even though some days I get frustrated and question the decision. Those are my weak moments!
#43 of 50 Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 PM

We can add my 5.5 year old to the list of reluctant writers. She can sort of write some things, but she still holds her writing implement in a fist. However, even without practicing, her skills do seem to be evolving. It's kind of funny that she can read anything under the sun and spell most words of six letters or less, but can't write her name.
#44 of 50 Old 11-20-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom View Post
We can add my 5.5 year old to the list of reluctant writers. She can sort of write some things, but she still holds her writing implement in a fist. However, even without practicing, her skills do seem to be evolving. It's kind of funny that she can read anything under the sun and spell most words of six letters or less, but can't write her name.
Bean is just so indignant when he's asked to write or draw.. he seriously resents that it's difficult for him because everything else has come so easily. I'm looking forward to his schoolwork becoming more of a challenge for him.

#45 of 50 Old 11-20-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Bean is just so indignant when he's asked to write or draw.. he seriously resents that it's difficult for him because everything else has come so easily. I'm looking forward to his schoolwork becoming more of a challenge for him.
Exactly.
#46 of 50 Old 11-21-2007, 01:04 AM

My kiddo didn't like drawing at all until after I started using the free Waldorf at home files (no longer available online, but I saved to send in email if anyone wants: send addys via PM) & just prefers drawing machine/gear parts rather than people or animals -- she also generally refuses to write letters even though she's capable of doing so ... she still prefers to scribble memos out instead : Some days she shows that she has various words memorized + can phonetically decode new words, but then weeks go by when she wants nothing to do with that Same with math. I guess it's normal, at least it's normal for her, right? (I do have to remind myself of this or I get so frazzled ) All we're doing now is to read the "What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know", some phonics readers, Magic Tree House & poems, math board games, cooking & laundry, Spirit Play. It's just all out waiting for her to decide what when : Because her hyper-reactivity is progressively more frequent/intense/explosive she's getting an evaluation through the school & they tell me they only provide certain such services throughout the school day in school, so while I'm open minded enough not to exclude school altogether (we're in a state that doesn't allow corporal punishment & we're in a district that is considered very good) I'm also nervous how she'll "do" even though I wish I didn't feel that way :
#47 of 50 Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 PM

Is there a newer thread for us newbies?

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#48 of 50 Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 PM

If there is, nobody bothered to link it, but it's a good call-- I'm just too pregnant to have any sense right now.

#49 of 50 Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 PM

I don't think a Dec thread to follow this was started... but my little guy is heading for grade 1 (well we are calling it grade 1 hehe) at the end of the month as our school year goes feb-mid dec, so I'll have to stick with one of the more general threads

#50 of 50 Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I don't think a Dec thread to follow this was started... but my little guy is heading for grade 1 (well we are calling it grade 1 hehe) at the end of the month as our school year goes feb-mid dec, so I'll have to stick with one of the more general threads
There was definately a december thread, now i think of it-- I remember, because i named it differently (also having a child who's in first grade at this point ). It's all good, though. If someone starts a new thread, could they do the rest of us a favor and link it here?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page