Kindergarten November 2007... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 11-01-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm... I fell way behind on posting here last month. It keeps me on my toes so I need to, lol.

Let's see, we finished our reading book so Amethyst is now a full-fledged reader, and she reads EVERYTHING. It is so awesome to see. I scored a bunch of great workbooks and texts at the Goodwill so we are doing those some. They are 1st and 2nd grade. I am still nervous about winging it and figuring out what to do myself, so we will be ordering a 1st grade curriculum in Jan. She is doing great at math also, but I don't really know what to do on top of math and reading. Other than just everyday living, lol. Which I guess is learning also.

On a good note, we finished Christmas shopping today, so at least this month started off well!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#2 of 50 Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 PM

Things aren't going so well.... I'm in financial ruin -- seriously. I'm also at the point of my semester when there's a project due almost every day. So I'm overwhelmed & depressed. So I'm out of patience & lacking in all things creative. So, she's just sitting in front of my parents' stupid oversized TV : I know that we've had great moments when I have loved homeschooling so much, but right now I'm second guessing this choice :
#3 of 50 Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I do the same thing. Well, actually, I know now that I could never again send my kids to school, but at the same time, I seriously doubt my ability to teach them. Ugh, I'm trying really hard to stay out of that place right now, but its beckoning.
hugs

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#4 of 50 Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 PM

I, too, am overwhelmed, depressed, and in the midst of a huge financial crisis (it's gotten cold... *sigh*). The only normal thing, though, is school. I'm miserable, but the boy is really thriving.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#5 of 50 Old 11-01-2007, 09:40 PM

Hugs to everyone. Financial disasters are the worst. Lately, I've had people insist that only rich people homeschool and I wanted to fling something heavy at their collective heads.

We're plugging along here. I've been battling a wicked migraine and so have been a bit of a slacker today. Dd1 spends hours a day reading anyway, but she's been nonstop today (except for at the pool. Do I get a gold star for swimming with a migraine?). Earlier this afternoon, I found her with some Calvin and Hobbes books, a dictionary, and an encyclopedia. I asked her what she was doing. She explained that she was learning about plea bargaining and solar cells. Then she showed me the comics that referenced those things.

Even when I just want to huddle with a blanket over my head, I love homeschooling.
#6 of 50 Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 PM

I'm still happily homeschooling. I love it, especially now that we are well into the swing of things and have a better flow going every day. I've noticed that our pattern seems to be FIAR one week, unit study the next. I've also realized that I really enjoy planning the curriculum - I am SO happy that we didn't go with the boxed curricula that we had looked at because I think it would have drove me :.

I'm also relieved that we haven't had to deal with a lot of negative comments or opinions - people seem to be fairly supportive of the whole idea, which makes life less stressful.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#7 of 50 Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 PM

I'd like to join this thread, if you guys don't mind. We just pulled DS1 out of Kindergarten about a week ago, and started homeschooling. We're using Sonlight's Core B and Math-U-See. We'll do HWT for handwriting as soon as it comes in the mail. DS has an IEP due to some sensory issues and speech delays, so we go to his old class twice a week for half-hour group therapy (speech and OT). He's slow to warm up to any new situation, so we're going through an adjustment period, but I really think that it is going quite well so far. I find myself just figuring out what he already knows so far, since I feel like I've lost touch with what he knows and doesn't know. He's pretty introverted, so asking "what did you do at school today?" was never very helpful.

We have gotten a little flack from "concerned" family members, and will probably get even more. But we're used to that, with our co-sleeping, slinging, no-vaxing, no circ'ing, no spanking choices.
#8 of 50 Old 11-02-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmer View Post
I find myself just figuring out what he already knows so far, since I feel like I've lost touch with what he knows and doesn't know. He's pretty introverted, so asking "what did you do at school today?" was never very helpful.
If it helps, Bean has never been to school, I've been solely responsible for his education all his life, and I still find myself wondering where he learned the things he knows, and underestimating his abilities in oh-so-many places. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks and I still don't know where he learned about Hammurabi's code... :

Welcome.

#9 of 50 Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 PM

subbing here before i get behind
#10 of 50 Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 PM

Hey, can I join you all? My older son is 5. We're unschooling, which seems to be working okay. He has sensory processing disorder, and unschooling seems to be the best fit for him right now. I also have an 8 month old son who's nearly as active as his big brother, so I'm keeping busy all day! I often doubt my ability to homeschool. I feel overwhelmed with my older son's behavioral problems a lot of the time. But, I'm trying to stick with it! I'm really not looking forward to it being too cold outside to play! We went to the playground this morning, and had to cut the trip short since the wind was so chilly!
I've decided to ask family to pay for various memberships and classes for DS1 as Xmas gifts this year, since he needs more indoor activities during the cold and rainy months.
How are you all dealing with the colder weather, with active children?

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#11 of 50 Old 11-02-2007, 11:31 PM

We're just doing reading and MUS right now. I also read to her daily. We're moving at the end of the month, so things are crazy...then it will be December. We may stay low-key until January.
#12 of 50 Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I've been thinking about it for a few weeks and I still don't know where he learned about Hammurabi's code... :

Welcome.
Too funny! Thanks!
#13 of 50 Old 11-04-2007, 12:31 AM

were not kindergarden yet, but this is our first year hsing. I thought id be an unschooler, but guess what? im not! I love planning curriculum I love doing projects with my son.
like alittlebitcrunchy we are using fiar every other week, we've done 3 to date. and us studies every other week. about once a month i declare an unschool week and we go on field trips and just hang out and read books.
loving homeschooling
#14 of 50 Old 11-04-2007, 11:46 AM

Hey, can I join your group too? :

My youngest is 5 and doing Kindergarten this year. While we have been homeschooling (on and off) for over three years (she's number four to start hs'ing with us), I have never done K before. Honestly, I find it more nerve racking than the older grades. I am constantly worrying if I am doing enough for/with her. I bought the Pre-K and K level workbooks from Rod & Staff and she has been working through those and loves them. I also added in some dot to dot to get the hand eye coordination going. She is finally starting to recognize numbers, but she is still not getting the letters (though she sings them quite well ). I tried The Ordinary Guide and she hates hates hates it. I could not get her to sit still and listen and she was bored to tears (literally. on more than one occasion). So we stopped. I heard such great things, but it did not work for us. Ah well. I have now invested in OM and I am hoping that will work for us. She is so interested in hands on though, that I am probably going to supplement with some more cheapy workbooks. (Recommendations gladly taken! )
Anhwho, that's us
#15 of 50 Old 11-04-2007, 12:13 PM

I just ordered some Kumon workbooks for my 5yo boy. He needs more cutting practice and whatnot to practice fine motor skills, so they looked good. I'll have to let you know how they go. He has really hated worksheets in the past, but is warming up to them somewhat and will do them in short spurts now. Have you seen www.first-school.ws for printables? You could print out the alphabet color pages, and just let her color them while talking about the letter. Dr. Seuss's ABC book is pretty good for ABC's too. I know some people don't like videos, but my son absolutely loved Rusty & Rosy's ABC videos, and knew his ABCs very quickly with them, especially considering he was delayed in several areas.

Anyway, welcome and good luck!
#16 of 50 Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMeOhMy View Post
Hey, can I join your group too? :

My youngest is 5 and doing Kindergarten this year. While we have been homeschooling (on and off) for over three years (she's number four to start hs'ing with us), I have never done K before. Honestly, I find it more nerve racking than the older grades. I am constantly worrying if I am doing enough for/with her. I bought the Pre-K and K level workbooks from Rod & Staff and she has been working through those and loves them. I also added in some dot to dot to get the hand eye coordination going. She is finally starting to recognize numbers, but she is still not getting the letters (though she sings them quite well ). I tried The Ordinary Guide and she hates hates hates it. I could not get her to sit still and listen and she was bored to tears (literally. on more than one occasion). So we stopped. I heard such great things, but it did not work for us. Ah well. I have now invested in OM and I am hoping that will work for us. She is so interested in hands on though, that I am probably going to supplement with some more cheapy workbooks. (Recommendations gladly taken! )
Anhwho, that's us
It sounds to me as though she's just not ready to read-- and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! It used to be that they didn't even try to teach kids to ready before first grade. I'd go backwards and do letter recognition things, as well as lots of reading (of course ). Have a 'B' week where you bake bread, bundle bags, collect things that begin with B and color things blue, etc. Recognizing letters is important, hearing language is important, and yes, reading is important, but a lot of kindergarteners aren't ready to read and it's all good.

#17 of 50 Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I really hope this gets easier. Or at least I get less stressed out about it all. I never feel like we are doing enough. I don't think I could ever be an unschooler. It seems like there is just never enough time in the day, and when there is time, she is fighting me over EVERYTHING.
Today James took her to deliver all of her girl scout candies that she sold, so we had to sort and count them and she was reading the labels, so I guess that is something. But that is ALL. Well, now she is coloring and cutting and writing Christmas stories. All things that she just decided to do on her own. I guess I get into the idea that if I didn't *tell* her to do something it doesn't count. I really need to change that. Isn't it funny how when you just write it all out it doesn't seem so bad anymore? lol
How are all of you guys doing?

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#18 of 50 Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 PM

MPsSweetie, I find that writing things down really makes a difference for me when I start to worry. Inevitably, the chaos and silliness end up looking strangely like solid academics when I put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. Is it even possible for a four to six year old to get through a day without learning something?

Besides, as I see it, we're still in the grace period. There is not a single thing learned in even the most academic kindergartens that is not revisited about 30 million times before adulthood.

Now, I'm looking to you to parrot all of this back to me the next time I freak out about not doing enough.:
#19 of 50 Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good!! It's funny how we all go through phases like this, lol!

I know! When I finally write it all out it usually adds up to more than what she would be doing at ps between bathroom breaks and all that wasted time they spend. I have gotten away from keeping track of it, but tonight I'm back to work!

We just spent an hour at the bookmobile, and then played on the slide so theres some more to add to our daily log. Phew!

Thanks so much for reassuring me!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#20 of 50 Old 11-06-2007, 10:24 PM

Since my last post here was so negative & since it was at the beginning of the thread, too (sorry I thought I'd let you all know that the wave of severe confustion/frustration/stress/depression seems to have passed -- for now : The bank said they'll try to work with me as far as trying to sell my house & my heavy college course load for next semester leaves us a few hours of peace each morning to do some homeschooling + local families are starting to offer some help caring for kiddo during coop classes while I'm on campus I'm feeling better again about finishing the year together with homeschool, but maybe this summer we will begin discussion together the option of public school JIC
#21 of 50 Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

No problem, it seems like a lot of us are down in the dumps lately. s

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#22 of 50 Old 11-07-2007, 01:41 AM

We are kinder here also..

We are getting ready to start FIAR with him.. as he loves to be read to and it is very repeating and he likes that..

THen we just go with the flow...we cook and play and go for walks and tons of therapy...
#23 of 50 Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 AM

Hi there! We are kindergarten homeschoolers too!! We do MUS, SOTW, Alphabet Island, a random assortment for science and a little HWOT. Add a million library books to that and whatever else we come up with
#24 of 50 Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM

another Kindy family here. we were doing regular work for awhile, then we moved cross country and that threw us off a little. now we're slowly getting back on track. just subbing for inspiration!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#25 of 50 Old 11-09-2007, 03:41 PM

DH and I are the same way-- me the obsessive reader with 15 bazillion books checked out of the library at one time and him the amazing mental math magician. AND our Kindy Girl is the same way too-- we are ripping through Singapore Math's K program so fast it makes my head spin. she taught herself fractions the other day on our family camping trip! : but she's resistant to formal reading lessons although she is so on the cusp of reading independently. i justed missed getting HOP off freecycle yesterday.

just think how well we know our kids and thier strengths and weaknesses already at this stage and how well that serves them. they couldn't get that at school IMHO.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#26 of 50 Old 11-09-2007, 03:57 PM

Hi!*waves* Mind if I join you? Im so glad I found this thread! My DD is 5. We were initially keeping her back a year in K and homeschooling her. We decided to just keep on going. I cannot tell you how well she is thriving! She is doing a great job with her letters and trying to read. Numbers? Not so much but we will get there when she is ready. I feel really relieved that we made a decision on this because I was really dreading putting her in ps next year. I have been wanting to homeschool her for a long time. Dh wanted to keep her back a year but now we are just going to continue homeschooling her.
#27 of 50 Old 11-09-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

I love seeing what everyone else is doing! It gives me so much motivation!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#28 of 50 Old 11-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Hope it's OK to jump in, I feel I am the only home schooler on the planet!

We just moved from Colorado, to Cornwall, UK. So we know no-one and I am quite happy to look like the local weirdo I suppose. (Apparently there are tonnes of home schoolers here, but we are car-less right now and they all meet miles away)
I've loved reading all your posts...they keep me going here in the land of lala..

My almost 6 yr old boy can write "ghost" and "BEN 10" and "spider man", and thats it, cat spell or read cat, mat sat etc, so we are just going with it.

We have just started reading and writing much to his disgust, so I am trying to relax and back off a little while he creates Superhero land in his head.
Now I am officially doing it, it's stopped feeling so scary, I do have the occasional wobble though.
This week we went for a nature walk and now have a lovely leaf collage. We went to the local museum and unfortunately ended L and J's love of Ancient Egypt when they saw a real mummy and decided it was "disgusting" and looked like "old peanut butter" hmmmm, never quite what to expect eh?

We have been round the Cathedral and had huge talks about death (their new obsession)
Now off to look for a gymnastics class, as ballet for J (3) was a complete disaster. Live and learn eh?

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#29 of 50 Old 11-10-2007, 10:49 AM

we are a kindy family too! my dd is 6 and actually could be in 1st grade, but we decided to hold off on enrollment. last year we were moving from CA to SC and there was too much change and transition at the time. we joined a local hs group last year & mostly focused on adjusting to our new home.

we've actually been homeschooling since...well...birth but this is our first year enrolled through an association. she's doing great, and i'm learning so much and changing things all of the time to meet her needs ....as i figure out what's working and what's not. i'd love to hear from other mamas how you spend your homeschool day....especially from those of you that are more structured. we do lots of hands-on activities here, and lately i'm really loving lapbooks!!

if you all celebrate thanksgiving and christmas, do you have any plans to incorporate that into school??? i'd love to hear what they are!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#30 of 50 Old 11-10-2007, 11:38 AM

we're mostly classical, but a bit eclectic too. we usually start our day with a Waldorf-y morning circle after breakfast and then settle to do some lessons while the twins play. we always do reading, writing, math and spanish. those are our core lessons. then we play, read, do chores or whatever until after lunch when we see what kind of activity she's in the mood for. I keep the supplies handy for 1-2 activities in science, art/handwork, music, us geography, health/pe or spiritual practice and i let her pick what subject(s) she might want to do something with herself. i want her to have fun, but i'm also sort of tryiong to "train up" for the structure both of us will need for a WTM first grade curriculum. this is for days when we don't have an outing planned. we go to the library once a week to play and to drop off/pick up more books. we have a 4-5yo spanish class on mondays that she loves and a nature study co-op that meets twice a month.

(elizawill-- your blog looks great- i posted a comment there as Crunchy Mama)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page