What gifts are you getting your dc for the holidays? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For my 5 yo dd: A spool knitting kit. more playdough (maybe her sister will make this)
For my 7 yo dd: a wrist watch, preferably with an alarm. A real dictionary.
For my 20 mo ds: new board books, a dinosaur, and a toy truck

I may also give the girls the service of a really organized bedroom. With labeled shelves, and a real "place for everything". I think they'd like this, but I have trouble doing it while caring for ds. Dh will be taking a lot of time off and my parents will be visiting, so I should be able to swing it.

ZM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 02:36 PM

My plan is to do a homemade holiday. I think I may make 2/3 of what is actually listed but I'm trying to do it all. The playstands are a definite.
Both:
Playstands. I will buy a blank playsilk and dye it myself.

For Sophie:
Child sized sling
Doll diapers
Tutu, wand and crown for dress up
Apron for helping out in the kitchen. Her Bumkins apron is stained so it'll now be her art apron.
Felt play food
Felted slippers

For Atticus:
Knit hat and mittens
Lounge pants
Felted slippers- 95% finished. Just need to seam them up and weave in ends.
Felted wool balls

Quote:
Microcassette recorder (for dictating her many, MANY stories so I can transcribe them )
Oh that's a fab idea. My 5 year old would love one. She tells awesome stories but she really loves to sing. Maybe for her birthday she'll get one.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:00 AM

ds will turn 6 just before xmas so that's when he gets a lot of his gifts. this yr he's requested a drum kit...ay ay ay...and he'll get a ton of lego from my dad.

for xmas, trying to make as much as possible.

ds (6)

wooden castle pieces
tree blocks
juggling sticks
lincoln logs
encyclopedia
birdwatching book

dd (2)

doll clothes and diapers
knitted animals
bouncy pony ball thingy
dolls house
wooden threading beads
silk crown

both

board games
craft supplies
water bottles (sigg or kleen kanteen)
2nd playstand
large playsilk
clothes/jammies
knitted hats/scarves
books
ostheimer figures
sonrisas spanish curriculum

for friends and family we make bookmarks, candles, decorations, felted soap, cookies, cards, felted balls, dolls.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:18 AM

I'm thinking about getting my three youngest (7, 5, and 3) a bunch of kid sized cookware and bakeware from a Montessori supplier and then giving them a kitchen drawer to keep their very own stuff in for when they help cook, which they love to do. They'll each get their own cookbook. I'm thinking the Green Eggs and Ham cookbook for my 7 yr old Dr.Seuss fan, and I saw a neat mulitcultural cookbook that would be fun, and some Mollie Katzen kids cookbooks that looked promising.

Other than that, my littlest loves to clean and I give him a rag and a spray bottle with very diluted vinegar water to clean the windows and bathrooms, so I'm think he would like his own kid sized duster and mop and broom also. He also wants the Playmobil zoo set, I have to check and see if it's made in China, but I don't think it is.

My 7 and 5 year old both like sewing and will get little sewing kits.

7 year old really likes to take pics so he'll get a digital camera.

Don't know what else dd will get yet. I have some ideas of thing they'd like- pogo sticks, books on cd, board games, books, etc. Just have to narrow it down and sort it out.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicandboys View Post
I'm thinking about getting my three youngest (7, 5, and 3) a bunch of kid sized cookware and bakeware from a Montessori supplier and then giving them a kitchen drawer to keep their very own stuff in for when they help cook, which they love to do. They'll each get their own cookbook. I'm thinking the Green Eggs and Ham cookbook for my 7 yr old Dr.Seuss fan, and I saw a neat mulitcultural cookbook that would be fun, and some Mollie Katzen kids cookbooks that looked promising.

Other than that, my littlest loves to clean and I give him a rag and a spray bottle with very diluted vinegar water to clean the windows and bathrooms, so I'm think he would like his own kid sized duster and mop and broom also. He also wants the Playmobil zoo set, I have to check and see if it's made in China, but I don't think it is.

My 7 and 5 year old both like sewing and will get little sewing kits.

7 year old really likes to take pics so he'll get a digital camera.

Don't know what else dd will get yet. I have some ideas of thing they'd like- pogo sticks, books on cd, board games, books, etc. Just have to narrow it down and sort it out.
As far as I know Playmobil is made in Germany.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM

There are some Playmobil sets that are made in China; dh and I were checking them out the other night while running errands at Target.

We are still making our Christmas lists. Ds#2's birthday is in two weeks and we are still finalizing his birthday list. There are a couple things we want to get the boys together including a cool doll house and accessories. They also love dress-up stuff right now, so I'm thinking of what genre to go with; it'll probably be knights' stuff. And, they have a great looking compass and magnifying glass with a lanyard (sp?) from Haba at Oompa Toys that I think the older two would love.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 11-13-2007, 01:53 PM

What we probably will get Dd (7)-
doll accessories- shoes, socks, slippers, toy, car seat
plush Curious George
Fiddlestix
Snap Circuits
Leap Pad book
Sandisk Sansa Shaker MP3 player
wooden sushi set
books- The Littles, The Giant Jam Sandwich, The Snowy Day
games- Cranium Cadoo, Connect Four
15 pocket over door organizer
stuffed animal organizer tree

If we can find it we want to get a game called Burg Appenzell for our family. We always get a game to play on New Year's Eve together.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 11-13-2007, 11:14 PM

Mine both want laptops.

Dana
Unschooling mama to Lauren, 15, Otto, 9.5, and new little one due in May!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 PM

Here is a great link with a guide to holiday toys (print it out and keep it handy for birthdays, too)...I just received it from CCFC (Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood).

A little about TRUCE:

TRUCE is a national group of educators deeply concerned about the impact of children’s entertainment and toys on the play and behavior of children in our classrooms.

TRUCE’s goals are:
8 To raise public awareness about the negative effects of violent and stereotyped toys and media on children,
families, schools, and society.
8 To work to limit the harmful influence of unhealthy children’s entertainment.
8 To provide children with toys and activities that promote healthy play and non-violent behavior
at home and school.
8 To create a broad-based effort to eliminate marketing to children and to reduce the sale of toys of violence.
8 To support parents’ and teachers’ efforts to deal with issues regarding media, toys, and play.

Here's the link:

http://www.truceteachers.org/toyguid...ide_web_07.pdf
Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 AM

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.timberdoodle.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1911
Old 11-14-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
Looks like my ds would have lots of fun with this one. I 'm going to show the pic to him in the morning to guage his interest.

We got Blokus as a family game last year and we're still having fun with it. Just a suggestion.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 11-14-2007, 02:08 AM

Yes, I've been wanting Blokus as well. DS has a b-day in Jan so....

This is what I'm hoping will get here from the toy-cop:

All these will go together:
Parking Garage
Trains
Various vehicles
Rail set
City Station

a farm puzzle
tree blocks
and other wooden shape puzzles (I'm really really hoping these have not been cancelled)

I'm thinking of that Destruct game I linked above in a pp

Also I'd love a mini trampoline for my soon to be 4 yr old
Old 11-14-2007, 02:36 AM

DS 1-
PS2 game
8-mile range walkie talkies for hunting
Sports Illustrated sub
Duck Call
New Ball Cap

DS 2
Russian Tortiose and Habitat
Dangerous Book for Boys
Baseball Bat
New Gloves

DS 3
Animation Drawing kit
Ben 10 toy
Ub Funky Starter Kit
shirt
Marble game
Some book

DD
Kitchen or an easel
Candy Land
Memory Game
Pink Dress Coat
Fancy Nancy
Flannel Baby Daipers

DS 4
Trike
Buzz and Woody Guy Guys
Diego Back pack
Wooden Blocks
Pj's
Book
Old 11-14-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Wicked, cool!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
To quote ds: "Shhhweeeeeet"
Old 11-14-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicandboys View Post
He also wants the Playmobil zoo set, I have to check and see if it's made in China, but I don't think it is.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/18/bu...s/18toys.html?
_r=1&pagewanted=2&oref=slogin

or try this: http://tinyurl.com/3dxoyg

"...Playmobil's medieval knights and Roman warriors are coated with
shiny paint — brilliant reds, jaunty yellows and such — which Ms.
Schauer said contained lead, albeit well below levels hazardous to
children. To ensure the safety of its coating process, she said,
Playmobil kept close watch over its manufacturing process..."
Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 AM

since we will be in MX by Christmas...and toy choices will be limited....we have planned on getting the children each there own animal. DS#3..a rabbit and dd a parrot...and DS#1...we are still trying to figure out his still. Maybe a Geco or some type of lizard. I'm excited about this christmas.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the link about Lego and Playmobile.

I guess the Destruct game seems to be a hit. Ok, I'll get it.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntLavender View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/18/bu...s/18toys.html?
_r=1&pagewanted=2&oref=slogin

or try this: http://tinyurl.com/3dxoyg

"...Playmobil's medieval knights and Roman warriors are coated with
shiny paint — brilliant reds, jaunty yellows and such — which Ms.
Schauer said contained lead, albeit well below levels hazardous to
children. To ensure the safety of its coating process, she said,
Playmobil kept close watch over its manufacturing process..."
Oh noooo. I just won a new set of the Roman ship, arena, and soldiers on eBay yesterday for ds7. I had checked and they aren't made in China. But that is not good. Thanks for the link, I may have to see if I can resell the whole thing.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
I wanted to pick up on this, because I've noticed that my kids still, at ages 4 through 13, still make little distinction between "your" stuff and "my" stuff.

Back to the topic of Christmas gifts, our gift-giving is very simple. Each child gets "something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read." Most of these, except the books, are home-made, though I've bought my 4yo a backpack and my 13yo a nice clip-on watch. The 'something you want' is not generally a big-ticket item. I'm knitting the "something to wear" gifts this year.

We also give ourselves a new family board game on Christmas Eve. This year it's Khet.

Miranda
I too would love to hear how you accomplish more of a communal ownership vs individual ownership of things. I tell the children the toys are for the children of the family, but sometimes it backfires and make them want to their own things more.

I keep holiday presents very simple. The girls each get a handmade gift from me and something from dad. DD#1 appreciates these the most. She said before that these gifts "feel warm". Then something thats just fun and books.
The girls are sharing a room now and I thought it might be nice to get a little tree for their room and make an advent calendar with little ornaments to hang on their little tree.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 PM

I think we are doing "Nature Exploration" backpacks for each of the two older boys - wooden Haba compass, wooden Haba magnifying glass, binoculars from Hearthsong, a sketch pad & colored pencils, and then my mom is getting them a V-Tech digital camera of their own.

There are a couple other things I think we'll get as family gifts from Hearthsong - the boys like the Quadzilla set (I think that's the name - a cool wooden marble run), plus I think we are getting them the wooden doll house and accessories.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 11-16-2007, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My kids' birthdays are all very close to the holidays.

dd#1 age ~7

MP3 player (used-buying from my brother)
maze craze book
Magz or similar

ds age ~6

mini trampoline (SID issues)
maze craze books
weighted vest/blanket
knit Spinosaurus I made myself.
bath robe
bilibo or K'nex can't decide

dd#2 age 3
moon sand
colorforms
possibly playmobil dollhouse

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 11-16-2007, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma View Post
I too would love to hear how you accomplish more of a communal ownership vs individual ownership of things. I tell the children the toys are for the children of the family, but sometimes it backfires and make them want to their own things more.

I keep holiday presents very simple. The girls each get a handmade gift from me and something from dad. DD#1 appreciates these the most. She said before that these gifts "feel warm". Then something thats just fun and books.
The girls are sharing a room now and I thought it might be nice to get a little tree for their room and make an advent calendar with little ornaments to hang on their little tree.

As far as the communal ownership goes, our family uses common space to make things communal...if it's super-special to you, it goes on your bunk, in your hammock, or in your top dresser drawer (and only one drawer is for non-clothing items).

For instance, my 6yo is very fond of a certain set of books on tape...he loves to share, but doesn't want others to have free access to these tapes, so they go in his top drawer. My 4yo is attached at the hip to his (still very new) Buzz Lightyear costume, and so this costume lives at the end of his bed (and we do have rules about having only one or two things "live" on your bed with you).

One of the ways we've helped move them into communal sharing is to turn our sunroom into a "dollhouse/computer/lego" room. This way, even though both boys (4 and 6) get a LOT of Legos as gifts, they share them all once the Legos hit the sunroom. It's just a family area, and nothing in there belongs, in practice, to any one person, even though certain sets were given as gifts. Same with the dollhouse...furniture and people and accessories may come into the house as gifts, but they become community property because of where they "live."

....sorry if I rambled...

Our kids are getting books (all 6), and then it varies...the older two are getting personal things (like a carrying case for an MP3, etc.)...

the 12yo is getting a tabletop art easel with lots of different paints and papers...

the 6yo is getting a gorgeous knight costume (which will eventually end up in the communal dress-up box), and a Lego chess set.

the 4 yo is getting Batman Legos and a wooden birthday cake set.

the 2yo is getting a wooden kitchen with accessories (which will be very communal ).

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       

User Tag List