Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Learning at Home and Beyond (http://www.mothering.com/forum/50-learning-home-beyond/)
-   -   "The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List" (http://www.mothering.com/forum/50-learning-home-beyond/788066-bitter-homeschooler-s-wish-list.html)

WuWei 11-08-2007 01:54 PM

The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List

From Secular Homeschooling Magazine, Issue #1

http://www.secular-homeschooling.com...eschooler.html

This was posted on one of my homeschool lists. I confess I laughed out loud at several of the comments (#16, 17, 18). You will too.

Pat

TEAK's Mom 11-08-2007 02:16 PM

I just sent that to quite a list.

bechand0128 11-08-2007 03:03 PM

THAT was funny. I feel like I should send it to my Mom, G-ma and a few other family members. LOL

The prom one was quite funny. Both dh and I were talking about this the other day... we have pictures of our respective proms, of course, but neither of us really remember the prom as being fun. It was quite boring. I remember going out to eat "real" food after, and driving home as fast as I safely could, trying to make curfew (my date didn't have his DL, and we were too cheap to rent a limo, LOL).

Dh remembers how much the hotel room he rented costs, and little else. And I think that says it all for him.

WuWei 11-08-2007 03:21 PM

Someone on another list mentioned that they printed it off and posted it on their refrigerator. Oh, and they have 20 family members coming for Thanksgiving. They may consider imposing a penalty for infraction of the "rules".

Pat

melissel 11-08-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Someone on another list mentioned that they printed it off and posted it on their refrigerator. Oh, and they have 20 family members coming for Thanksgiving. They may consider imposing a penalty for infraction of the "rules".

Pat
:

Ruthla 11-08-2007 06:26 PM

My favorite was #25!

Jennifer3141 11-08-2007 07:18 PM

This is from the new magazine, right? Boy, am I looking forward to this mag!!

Meg Murry. 11-09-2007 01:35 AM

http://www.secular-homeschooling.com...eschooler.html

Her bitterness is funny:

15 Stop asking, "But what about the Prom?" Even if the idea that my kid might not be able to indulge in a night of over-hyped, over-priced revelry was enough to break my heart, plenty of kids who do go to school don't get to go to the Prom. For all you know, I'm one of them. I might still be bitter about it. So go be shallow somewhere else.

16 Don't ask my kid if she wouldn't rather go to school unless you don't mind if I ask your kid if he wouldn't rather stay home and get some sleep now and then.

17 Stop saying, "Oh, I could never homeschool!" Even if you think it's some kind of compliment, it sounds more like you're horrified. One of these days, I won't bother disagreeing with you any more.

tuffykenwell 11-09-2007 02:09 AM

I think these are my favorites...

6 Please stop telling us horror stories about the homeschoolers you know, know of, or think you might know who ruined their lives by homeschooling. You're probably the same little bluebird of happiness whose hobby is running up to pregnant women and inducing premature labor by telling them every ghastly birth story you've ever heard. We all hate you, so please go away.

12 If my kid's only six and you ask me with a straight face how I can possibly teach him what he'd learn in school, please understand that you're calling me an idiot. Don't act shocked if I decide to respond in kind.

20 Stop saying that my kid is shy, outgoing, aggressive, anxious, quiet, boisterous, argumentative, pouty, fidgety, chatty, whiny, or loud because he's homeschooled. It's not fair that all the kids who go to school can be as annoying as they want to without being branded as representative of anything but childhood.

...<snort> thanks for sharing that!

Steph

UnschoolnMa 11-09-2007 02:40 AM

Quote:
20 Stop saying that my kid is shy, outgoing, aggressive, anxious, quiet, boisterous, argumentative, pouty, fidgety, chatty, whiny, or loud because he's homeschooled. It's not fair that all the kids who go to school can be as annoying as they want to without being branded as representative of anything but childhood.

Oh yes, very well said and something I totally agree with.

My Ds's preference for being alone or with few folks rather than constantly needing social stuff or friends isn't because he's homeschooled. It's because that is just who he is. That he isn't forced to be social is because he's homeschooled.

Meg Murry. 11-09-2007 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell View Post
I totally agree with this one. Not surprisingly, HSed kids have a variety of personalities! I hear these comments from teachers very often.

Lillian J 11-09-2007 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
15 Stop asking, "But what about the Prom?" Even if the idea that my kid might not be able to indulge in a night of over-hyped, over-priced revelry was enough to break my heart, plenty of kids who do go to school don't get to go to the Prom. For all you know, I'm one of them. I might still be bitter about it. So go be shallow somewhere else.
I have an old friend whose son was seriously socially miserable and intellectually bored in high school - and there was chaos in his classrooms. He found out he could leave in his sophomore year and transfer over to a good community college where he could actually learn in a peaceful atmosphere. She actually said, "OH! But what about the PROM?!!" That boy wouldn't have been at the prom even if he HAD stayed in high school! But even many years later, she still couldn't quite understand how he could have passed up the opportunity to go to the prom... - Lillian

MaShroom 11-09-2007 04:46 AM

That was great, thanks. I'm going to have to pass that on to a few people. Think it will get the point across?

Smokering 11-09-2007 05:18 AM

ROFL! This is great--in fact, I'm gonna forward the link to my homeschooling mother.
Quote:
11 Please stop questioning my competency and demanding to see my credentials. I didn't have to complete a course in catering to successfully cook dinner for my family; I don't need a degree in teaching to educate my children. If spending at least twelve years in the kind of chew-it-up-and-spit-it-out educational facility we call public school left me with so little information in my memory banks that I can't teach the basics of an elementary education to my nearest and dearest, maybe there's a reason I'm so reluctant to send my child to school.
Exactly! Honestly, when will people realise that those comments are only damning the public school system which produced the majority of homeschooling parents?

LeftField 11-09-2007 10:08 AM

These are hysterical!

I like the prom one, "stop being so shallow". I was a public school student who not only skipped prom but was mortified by the idea that it even existed.

I also like the one about running up to pregnant women and telling horror stories. That is so true. Some people are all about horror stories.

Thanks for sharing!

3momkmb 11-09-2007 10:15 AM

This my favorite

Quote:
3 Quit interrupting my kid at her dance lesson, scout meeting, choir practice, baseball game, art class, field trip, park day, music class, 4H club, or soccer lesson to ask her if as a homeschooler she ever gets to socialize.
I get this all the time and sometimes I just look at them for a minute and let the ridiculousness of the question register. Doesn't always work though

I also like this one
Quote:
8 Stop assuming all homeschoolers are religious.
The really BIG homeschooling group here is xtian so I get this assumption a lot. I was absolutely thrilled when one of DD's coaches asked politely if we were homeschooling for religious reasons. It was so refreshing to be asked instead of instantly pigeon holed!

Mom4tot 11-09-2007 10:19 AM

12 If my kid's only six and you ask me with a straight face how I can possibly teach him what he'd learn in school, please understand that you're calling me an idiot. Don't act shocked if I decide to respond in kind.

That's very funny.

Tera_&_Gibson 11-09-2007 10:21 AM

How fun are those!! LOL! Thanks for the laugh!

HelloKitty 11-09-2007 12:52 PM

Those are great!

Meg Murry. 11-09-2007 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

I have an old friend whose son was seriously socially miserable and intellectually bored in high school - and there was chaos in his classrooms. He found out he could leave in his sophomore year and transfer over to a good community college where he could actually learn in a peaceful atmosphere. She actually said, "OH! But what about the PROM?!!" That boy wouldn't have been at the prom even if he HAD stayed in high school! But even many years later, she still couldn't quite understand how he could have passed up the opportunity to go to the prom... - Lillian
Y'know, I had a lovely time @ my prom w/a very sweet guy, but bottom line, it was just a DANCE!

onlyzombiecat 11-09-2007 01:17 PM

Thanks for sharing!

I went to public school and skipped prom.
I don't think it made anyone's life dramatically better if they went to prom.

HelloKitty 11-09-2007 01:55 PM

I went to public school and never attended a prom. Oh how my life has been dramatically altered by this. How I possibly get up in the morning and go on I will never know.

mama in the forest 11-09-2007 03:03 PM

Edited at mod request.

elizawill 11-09-2007 03:11 PM

i saw this in another thread too. i love all of them!!!!!

9. Stop assuming that if we're religious, we must be homeschooling for religious reasons.

that one is SO true for me!!!! i'm sick to death of that assumption.

roomformore 11-09-2007 03:29 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm going to print it off and start giving it out to a few people I know (*cough*inlaws*cough*).

geek_the_girl 11-09-2007 03:42 PM

Oooh! I love it!
Im going to print this out and carry it around with me!

Jenivere 11-09-2007 03:43 PM

Forecful and even a bit rude but i still enjoyed reading it. I might tame it down a bit and use it.

KoalaMama 11-09-2007 03:52 PM

Here's the source: http://www.secular-homeschooling.com...eschooler.html

UnschoolnMa 11-09-2007 05:34 PM

Could a person put this on a blog or is that a no no somehow? Maybe I'll just share the link....

WeasleyMum 11-09-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Could a person put this on a blog or is that a no no somehow? Maybe I'll just share the link....
I think you could post it in a blog as long as you link back to the original source and credit it. That way it doesn't look as though you're trying to take credit for writing it but you can still share it with your readers.