***Really Need Your Input/Ideas: HS/Preschool*** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-12-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd will be three in January and I'd like to start "organizing" ideas about hs-ing preschool/kindergarten. I'm not really looking into curriculums until shes 7 (Wyoming Law) so I have a little time to do whatever works for her/us - unschool-style! YAY! lol So, what did you do with your preschooler, what would you do now or change (looking back)? Are there any websites or books that really helped you?
Okay - I'm so excited to hear what you all have to say!

Have a GREAT week -
~*April*~
#2 of 11 Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 PM

I put together a page that has quite a few articles (the top two especially have suggestions for activities and resources) - and underneath the articles are quite a few annotated links to websites that have the kind of thing I think you're looking for: preschool/kindergarten

Lillian
#3 of 11 Old 11-12-2007, 03:21 PM

We don't do anything, I do have one of those big preschool "workbooks" and if my son requests work like his brothers I pull that out and let him do what he wants in it. Otherwise, he just plays. He will be 5 in December and keeps saying he has to do school at 5, so maybe we'll losely start Kindergarten in January instead of the fall.
#4 of 11 Old 11-12-2007, 07:11 PM

I wouldn't change anything we've done. DD is 4 now but some things we did & are now doing with DS2 are reading, reading, reading, puzzles, magnetic letters on the fridge (they just played with them & if they asked I told them what letter it was), lots of music with singing & dancing, trips to the pet store, playing with play doh, water play, helping with household chores, oh did I mention reading. Seriously this is all we have done & both of my children have learned a ton.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#5 of 11 Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 PM

I wouldn't change anything we did either. When Kenna was that age, we just did lots of arts and crafts, went to the library, story time, bookstore, read tons, I made lots of little games to play with her. Cooking, sorting laundry. playing with our bunnies. Lots of field trips, play dates, playgroup days at the park, etc.
#6 of 11 Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM

Lillian's page is wonderful, really. I also loved The Toddler's Busy Book for ideas, and I admit to enjoying doing Brighter Vision "workbooks" with my DD1 when she was that age. She loved the stickers and the songs. You can often find them on eBay for MUCH less than they sell the packages for on the official site. We didn't do anything in an organized fashion, just pulled out whatever we could find when we needed inspiration (I'm not particularly creative :, so I needed inspiration a lot--still do!). Brighter Vision also makes idea books geared toward each age year that have lots of fun games and ideas in them. Basically I just surrounded myself with resources I could pick through whenever I needed to fill a gap.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#7 of 11 Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 PM

www.letteroftheweek.com has a free curriculum. You can just look through the ideas and tuck them into your head, and then do whatever when the mood strikes.
#8 of 11 Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 AM

I didn't plan on using a cirriculm till my son was much older, but a friend turned me on to Five in a Row and we are using that this year. We LOVE books and this has given us something to do that is low pressure but fosters a love of learning
Good luck!
#9 of 11 Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 AM

We haven't done anything really. Just play, do some crafts and lots of reading. I really left it up to her. We do lots of playgroups and go to the park and just have fun! In the meantime while having lots of fun, she's learned a whole lot. It's amazing the things they can pick up.
#10 of 11 Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 PM

My preschooler has several workbooks and a handwriting book that she can work in each day, IF she wants to. She also enjoys puzzles, board games, playdoh, and most of all, playing with friends.

When my oldest child was a preschooler, I did a preschool co-op with several families. I got a lot of ideas from this site:
www.perpetualpreschool.com

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#11 of 11 Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 AM

I loosely use letteroftheweek.com, some waldorf thematic resources, and we read LOTS of stories (because my dc love to hear a story. ) I read Lillian's sage advice and keep in mind that even my preschool days were play and creativity -- what I loved best about my school years. So we add in field trips (zoo, museum, apple picking, etc.), painting days, cooking days (just monday, dd made her own pumpkin pie in her own pie tin ), work on chores, and the progression of time (days, weeks, months, the year.) We're still at letter D, but we'll eventually get to letter E. She can sing the ABC song ad nauseum, but has started to recognize individual letters. Ds has already learned to count to 10 because he listens to his older sister.

Outside time, play, creativity, play, songs, play, stories, play... this is what works for us. Dh would like to work more on writing letters, dd's name, and the numbers from 1-20. He's got this idea that if we're homeschooling, why not accelerate the kids? I try to remind him to first see where they develop before we encourage interests. Personally, I'd rather wait until she asks about writing her name (which dd hadn't) or we get to k-1 grade for practice. Right now, I'd like to work on the simpler items and let them be kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page