Mothering Forum banner

I'm sure this is not a new subject...

587 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SunnyDayz 
#1 ·
Hi!
I have a 7 yo Ds who is having some problems in school. He goes to a montessori school. I believe he would do much better in a homeschool setting.

Problem? His dad... I am dreading having this conversation with him (we are not married, we split up when Ds was 6 months old, but he has always been very involved). He probably will do his best to not allow it, although I *think* he wouldn't want to take it to court.

How do I do it?? I am chicken. I'll admit it. Help!

#2 ·
Give the dad a copy of "dumbing us down" and then slowly start the conversation about homeschooling and how he could contribute to the education of your son. Talk about school problems and what his dreams are for your child. Then, figure out how you can do it as a team. If you involve him in it and make him an advocate (once he reads dumbing us down, he'll be easy) he might turn into your best helper in the process.

Good luck.
Lisa

#3 ·
In addition to this thread, here's a recent thread on the subject that leads to a number of others - they're all well worth browsing - lots of helpful input and tips from those who have been through the dilemma of how to convince the other parent or extended family to really consider homeschooling: How to teach DH about HS.

But I'm not quite sure what you meant by "How do I do it??"
Are you asking how to homeschool? If so, here's my own post full of links to some basic free online resources that I think simplify the getting started process. It can feel a lot more overwhelming at first than it really is once you get started.

I just saw Lisa's post, and I think that sounds like a great strategy all around. And the book she suggested, John Taylor Gatto's book, Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling, might be just the touch that could make a huge difference. - Lillian

#4 ·
if it were me in your shoes, i'd first check if my state had virtual academies. this would allow your son to be "enrolled" in a public school but remain at home for his studies. if i really thought my ex would fight me tooth and nail over hschooling, i would look into virtual academies or a complete boxed curriculum with a website that kicked butt! (even though the curriculum may not). for people who are anti homeschooling, this approach seems to be what they are most open to (as it mimics the classroom at home). once you get into homeschooling - it will be MUCH easier to switch gears imo as to change what method & style you choose. anyway, that's what i'd do. hugs mama.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info!
as for giving him books to read, he is wise to that lol. I really doubt he'd read it... He is very intelligent but extremely stubborn. I will try though.

As for "how do I do it?" I was referring to the moment I actually tell him, lol.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyDayz View Post
Thanks for the info!
as for giving him books to read, he is wise to that lol. I really doubt he'd read it... He is very intelligent but extremely stubborn. I will try though.

As for "how do I do it?" I was referring to the moment I actually tell him, lol.
Ah! Well, then it would be a great idea to read through all those threads that have wafted through here on the subject of how to approach a skeptical partner. I think I'd put that moment off until you have some good ideas that will resonate well with him and can pretty articulately roll of your tongue without coming across to him as something he should automatically be opposed to.

As for the book, I think the cover might very well grab his attention enough to dampen his curiosity enough to look further - especially if he knows the author was NY State Teacher of the year right before dropping out of the system because he could no longer support it. He had also been NY *City* Teacher of the Year three times before that. Another good one for this is the one David Guterson wrote when he was a high school teacher and he and (mostly-->) his wife were homeschooling their own sons - Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense - because it was eloquently written in direct response to criticism he was facing from his colleages and dad, so it covers all the most common concerns. Lillian

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyDayz View Post
i would make him a "partner" on it and bring it up casually...what do you think of homeschooling? i think, our dc could benefit from it and here's why...i'd like you to be a team player on this and work as a team on his education. i've looked into this and this and option a looks good. which one do you think looks better? would you be interested in working on a subject with him? you're pretty knowledgeable when it comes to this.

i would treat it as a salespitch and present and then assume consent. i would also make sure you have your knowledge down on different options and why it would benefit your dc. good luck!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
i would make him a "partner" on it and bring it up casually...what do you think of homeschooling? i think, our dc could benefit from it and here's why...i'd like you to be a team player on this and work as a team on his education. i've looked into this and this and option a looks good. which one do you think looks better? would you be interested in working on a subject with him? you're pretty knowledgeable when it comes to this.

i would treat it as a salespitch and present and then assume consent. i would also make sure you have your knowledge down on different options and why it would benefit your dc. good luck!
I have asked him what he thought of homeschooling before and his reaction was so negative that I haven't brought it up since...

I do think that he would have a blast getting involved in teaching Ds though. He is currently teaching him web design and photoshop (I know, my 7 year old son knows PS better than I do
).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.