Learning spanish and ASL with my 4 yo - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These are two separate subjects, but I am curious how to go about doing this I took French in high school and used to be pretty fluent when I would travel to France, but I have little/no experience with Spanish. She is EXTREMELY interested in both and I want to encourage and fill that need, but I have no idea how to do this. We have about 90-120 minutes in the afternoon when DD2 is napping that we could spend some quality time learning together.

Like most 4 yos she does not do well in a "formal" learning situation. I think it would have to be stimulating like in the form of a story, song or movie to keep her attention. I could be wrong though, especially if we are doing it together. That is just my gut feeling.

I would like for us to learn together so we could speak it together and with DD2 (so she could learn eventually, too). I am not opposed to DVDs, CDs or computer games... I have a Mac, though.

Please share your common experiences and advice!

#2 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 10:08 PM

Formal lessons are not our cuppa' either : I suggest getting yourself more acquainted with the grammar (our library has Rosetta Stone + of course Google is a great free resource) & then what I do is just let kiddo choose 1 specific book to read repeatedly all week in the new language, continuing to read various other books in english just not repeatedly.... We also watch favorite movies in the new language via DVD settings & have fun music CDs in the new language: finally, we start using the learned words more during everyday activities We use ASL as the bridge between spoken languages.
#3 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 PM

I haven't quite figured out how to do Spanish with my almost 4-yr old ds, but we do visit the library every week and they have computers kids can use. Some of the programs are stories and you can choose the language. After he hears the story a few times in English he'll want to listen in other languages. It's cute to see him sitting there staring at the computer (animated stories) listening and watching, though I have no idea what he's getting from it. I do know, though, that even just listening to another language gives you a good basis for learning it.

That aside, we have been doing ASL together for several months. We checked out a library book called "Sigh language for kids" and liked it enough to buy it from Amazon.com. (easy to use, good basic signs that kids would use, great photos) We try to learn a few new signs ever week, mostly just trying to think of things we'd like to say in sign language. This was something that came about because i"M using signs with ds2 (who just turned 1) and ds 1 started asking me how to say other things. It has been quite fun!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#4 of 8 Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

good good good! thnk so much for this excellent advice. I like the idea of using rosetta stone myself and then using the books... i don't know if i'd be able to do the computers at the library with dd1... with dd2 running wild in the library thanks for the reco on the book. i will check it out. i was looking for one to give her for christmas!

#5 of 8 Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM

For ASL, we started with the Signing Time videos. Signing Time is on many PBS stations http://www.signingtime.com/a9/Public...icle_info.html , or available at the library.
#6 of 8 Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 PM

Well, for Spanish, there are a lot of books written in English and Spanish that she would probably enjoy. Blue's Clues, Dora, that sort of thing. See if you can find the same book in both languages at the library and read them together, figuring out the words.
#7 of 8 Old 11-24-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annab View Post
For ASL, we started with the Signing Time videos. Signing Time is on many PBS stations http://www.signingtime.com/a9/Public...icle_info.html , or available at the library.
ooh, iforgot about ST... boo hoo, they aren't available here... oh well, maybe i'll see if i can the dvds from the library. thanks for the reminder! over the holiday, her cousin (who is learning ASL was teaching her tons of signs... they are the same age and it was soooo cute!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Well, for Spanish, there are a lot of books written in English and Spanish that she would probably enjoy. Blue's Clues, Dora, that sort of thing. See if you can find the same book in both languages at the library and read them together, figuring out the words.
we do have a few of the dora books... they just don't seem to "get it" YK? she learns the words, but isn't speaking it... she is more just translating it. i would like us to learn it so we can speak it.

another update... our next door neighbors are from china and her parents are visiting... they don't speak english! so when dd1 goes over th play she only hears chinese! and she is starting to learn it! at dinner she started telling us phrases in chinese... i guess she is picking it up from interacting with them and context? i don't know if she is making it up or not. i will have to ask the mom... we are pretty good friends, they just work looong hours and i don't always catch them when they are home.

so i am thinking about signing her up for a class on madarin that a learning co-op nearby is doing soon... we shall see!

#8 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM

Well, there is the new The Complete Book of Starter Spanish that is for the preschool and first grade student, but it is a workbook.

There is also the PBS series put out by Georgia Public Broadcasting called "Salsa" (see www.gpb.org/salsa). It is meant for preschool children and is very well done. Ask your PBS station to air it! According to www.gpb.org/salsa:

SALSA is a comprehensive Spanish program for young children featuring puppets, state-of-the-art graphics, animation and a good dose of humor.

Instructors do not need to be certified to teach a foreign language or be familiar with Spanish.

Each video lesson is preceded by a staff development component that familiarizes the instructor with the content and objectives of the lesson, reviews all vocabulary words, and demonstrates the correct pronunciation of all Spanish words used in the lesson. There are 42 video lessons in the SALSA series.

When to Watch SALSA airs on GPB Education's satellite channels and on GPB Television. Go to GPB Education's broadcast schedule to find out which SALSA episodes are currently scheduled to air on GPB Education's satellite channels and on GPB Television.

Shifra

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page