Need Ideas for a Legos Gift - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-19-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 10 yo and 7 yo nephews are really into Legos. I thought I'd get them some kind of legos "supplement". So far, my idea is to get them a couple of books with lego projects or something of the sort. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

#2 of 9 Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 AM

There are several at Amazon. Are they into Star Wars? You can't go wrong with a Star Wars selection. Check 'legonutXX" on ebay for good deals too. I check with him first, usually.

If they are more architectural, there is a nice set for building houses (there is a mega set for houses that costs a small fortune).

Other supplements that are often in short supply....people. There is a community people set with fire fighters, police, etc. Also, wheels often get lost and you end up with lots of sizes and no matches. The wheel set is about $36, I think.

If you want to be the best aunt ever, the Jabba the Hut ship is about $100 and the coolest thing in Lego for my little guy.
#3 of 9 Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einen View Post
My 10 yo and 7 yo nephews are really into Legos. I thought I'd get them some kind of legos "supplement". So far, my idea is to get them a couple of books with lego projects or something of the sort. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!
Legos! Yesssssssss.

Lego storage is a coveted thing in my house. I've been looking at this. Currently we have toolbox, which work out okay. beyond the Box4Blox, I would like one of those plastic bins with the separators in there so we can sort by size/shape. We have LOTS of Legos. Lots.

Do they live near a Lego store? A gc is a nice idea.

The Power Functions systems are cool....they let you animate your creation. But maybe a bit beyond that age group.

the Lego shop has cool stuff, too, beyond toys. Shirts, games, etc.
#4 of 9 Old 11-20-2007, 02:21 AM

Mindstorms!
#5 of 9 Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Okay, for MY birthday/Christmas, I want some uberstix. I quote from the Hearthsong catalog:

The interlocking pieces not only look different, they act different: you can build models that move, attach them to other building sets, and incorporate found objects into your structures (straws, Popsicle® sticks, etc.).

AND, according to some sites I've seen on the web, they "mate" with many other building toys, including Legos--so they'll truly extend their current toys.

Here's the hearthsong link, although I think you can get them elsewhere as well:

http://www.hearthsong.com/hearthsong/product.do?section_id=2&bc=1005&pgc=2234&sv=2535&c mvalue=HS|2||2263|COLLECTION|2535|2535-P3

And here's a shorter version of the link: http://tinyurl.com/23rpyb
#6 of 9 Old 11-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Lego also puts out a free 2 yr magazine subscription. That might be something to print out to let them fill in. Beware of ordering anything from lego.com though. I have heard bad things about their online store not shipping items out AND to make it worse, not letting you know about it. Last yr I remember one MDC mama complaining about it, b/c she ordered a set and it was her son's big christmas gift and basically it never arrived in time for christmas or even after christmas.

Also, if they like legos, you can also introduce some other construction sets, like zoob, k'nex, erector, etc..
#7 of 9 Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 PM

You can request the magazine online. I just filled out the form since Older Son's subscription had run out. The two boys don't share the Lego Mag well, so we get 2.
#8 of 9 Old 11-23-2007, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We turned our sunroom into a Lego room...Lego table, chest of drawers for Legos, etc.

To supplement, you can buy "Knight's Kingdom" books.

Other than that, I'd suggest moving on to K'Nex. We have an awesome set that comes with 3-hole-punched instructions, info, and worksheets about each possible design (like catapults, rack-and-pinion steering, inclined planes, etc).

I love K'Nex. Lots of things to do, and they go well with Lego likin' kids because they're just as creative and can make a zillion things.

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#9 of 9 Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 PM

The best gift that we get for my son is to go to the Lego Store and just buy a bag of loose parts. That way he can use them to create whatever he wants. He usually ends up making cars or spacecraft but it requires him to use his imagination. You can get them already bagged up, sometimes by color, sometimes by type of part, usually just a mixture of a little bit of everything. Or they have bins where you can pull out the pieces you want to make your own bag and then pay a by the pound price. And yes, storage bins. I hate stepping on legos in the middle of the night.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page