Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for that rant, canuckgal ita

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#32 of 47 Old 11-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I never taught my last one anything out right. We did work on colors just because it made my life easier. (No . . your brown shoes...Pink does not match. you get the yellow plate because it doesn't have gravy on it . . . . your sister gets the green plate because she will cry if she doesn't) but we never sat down with color flash cards or anything. really a child would have to be pretty sheltered not to learn their colors, shapes, body parts and counting by the time they were 5 or so.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#33 of 47 Old 11-23-2007, 02:39 PM

DD is 3 1/2 and has, what I believe, is ADHD. If I tried to do anything structured, I'd fail miserably. I am looking to unschool her anyway. Trips to the grocery store are fun for her. She loves to play with her little sister, watch educational TV programs, and read books. She has the best imagination ever and plays dress up. She helps me put away silverware, gets her own cereal, and sings songs to her baby sister. She knows her colors, can count to 20, knows her ABCs, and how to match her clothes. I love it! I really thought raising a smart child would be such hard work but given time she picks up on everything like magic.
#34 of 47 Old 11-24-2007, 10:17 AM

My four has workbooks and access to all the supplies my nine does. she likes to sit with her sister and do "school" but that is her. She has also involved herself in composting, cooking and loves to be read to so I guess the answer is "yes" she does school but I don't look at it that way. I am all for practical life and Montessori.

As for my almost 3, he colors, knows his colors but there is no way he would sit through flash cards. No shcool for him now. Digging in the dirt is more important.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#35 of 47 Old 11-24-2007, 04:41 PM

No, you're not the only one. My daughter is 3, and I'm not teaching her. I know it's shocking and hard to believe , but somehow all my kids have learned how to walk or talk without being taught, and a plethora of other things as well. I just think it's ridiculous to waste time with the unpleasant task of making them sit still for school work when it's something that they're going to pick up naturally anyway.
#36 of 47 Old 11-24-2007, 11:20 PM

I don't teach my 10 year old, so I'm not likely to sit my 3 year old in front of a workbook....
#37 of 47 Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckgal View Post
We as adults (product of our schooling perhaps) analyze and categorize and lay the yardstick along kids and dig the round hole to jam their square peg selves in for our "own" reassurance, to ensure that we are "doing right", to relieve our own anxieties about how they will turn out because we are trying to guarentee a result (all in the class-of-20 have all met the objectives at the same time) that is impossible...each child is unique, learns at their own pace, whether we like it or not.
I just have to say that Canuckgal's post was fantastic!

The teaching I do with DD is involving her in real life activities. She's involved in most things DS does and she learns because she's interested in joining in with story time, washing dishes, doing the laundry, counting items, sorting toys, making crafts, playing outside, etc.

Whenever I hear people saying they homeschool their preschoolers, I always think "Well, of course you do!". Preschoolers learn from real life everyday activities which, to me, is the heart of homeschooling.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#38 of 47 Old 11-25-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!! I'm so glad to have MDC moms!! You guys rock!! Maybe we are different from others around us, but I'm glad to not be alone!!! Thanks ladies!!
#39 of 47 Old 11-26-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewd View Post
Another thought. If the flash cards are nice and big and she can play with them on her own, get 2 sets and call them a matching game. Let her play on her own and with you. Name the cards when you find a match. Ask "Hmmm, what color is on your card?" Just be playful. If she is interested, great! if not, great!
That probably wouldn't have interested my 3yo dd much, but she loves UNO. That's a great game if you modify the rules a bit for the little ones, since it really only involves matching colors or numbers. We have two sets, one regular set and one with peanuts characters, so she can match characters too. It's a fast game with 2 people, and she mostly seems to win for some odd reason. Candyland is also great for colors. Chutes and Ladders is great for numbers. Mancala is good for counting, etc. I've been accumulating quite the pile of games. But she always wants to play games with us.

But even with no "teaching" here, she's learning to count in her 3rd language(from Dora!), learned simple addition from Math Circus, learned about octagons and "STOP" from I don't know where yet. I do let her watch dvds or PBS. She has access to some workbooks, but I don't really spend time with them very much at all. I actually tried hiding one, but she likes drawing in it.
#40 of 47 Old 11-26-2007, 02:14 AM

even with my oldest two kids, who went to public elementary school, they didn't go to preschool, nor did we *do* preschool.

They learned their colors by picking out the "red" apples at the store, or putting on the "blue" shirt or throwing the "yellow" ball. They learned to count by buttoning their clothes, getting their nails clipped, or counting cars that we went by. We sang songs, read books, played, created. Living Life seemed to be a really great teacher for my preschoolers.
#41 of 47 Old 11-26-2007, 09:22 PM

You know, I've not read all the replies on here, but I think it is interesting how we're all talking about our kids knowing colors and shapes and letters. What about all the other stuff that they know? For instance, my sister at age 3 knew all the letters, numbers up to 20 or so, all the basic shapes and colors. My brother didn't know half of that at the same age. BUT he could tell you about all the different types of trains and cars on the train (hopper, flat, tanker, etc). I think we tend to overlook all the things our kids DO know because we get so wrapped up in what society says they SHOULD know.

We do school with my current preschooler, but that is because he asked for it. I didn't do anything with my oldest. In fact, for a long time she'd go to church and the other kids would be randomly singing the alphabet song and she didn't know it. But she reads 2-3 levels ahead of where she supposedly should be. My son is 4 and he can do some basic addition. But he's asked to learn it. That is where his interest lies. Until he asked for it at the beginning of this school year, we would sometimes play learning games, but it was just as much for the fun of doing something together as it was for him learning. We do most of our "basic" learning through life. "Hey, Aiden, can you bring me a blue Lego?" That sort of thing. They all figure it out.
#42 of 47 Old 11-27-2007, 01:28 AM

Here is the main way that my dd learned her colors, other then every day conversation:
We get several baskets that are empty, I find all the small toys that are small enough to fit in them and play "the color game" for example, the plastic vegetable/fruits, the different animals, other nick nacks, the first way that we played was to match the colors that go together in a basket, I said what they were as she put the colors in the baskets, sometimes I would in good humor show her that maybe a yellow matched the "yellow basket" better then the "green basket" and as the baskets filled up they were full of whichever color was pertinent to that basket, eventually she caught on and even though she knows her colors she loves to play the color game still and will sort the colors on her own and name them.

Also another color game we play, when I do dishes, I will get out several clear containers for the counter top for her, I put some water in, and I will put different food colors in each one and tell her what they are, we also make play dough, I do one color and say today you are playing with blue play dough.
#43 of 47 Old 11-27-2007, 01:34 AM

tallenvor--your comment about the abc song has me laughing. My DD (almost 3) HATES the abc song and thus doesnt know it at all. All you have to do is start singing it and she will scream and plug her ears. She has done this since at least a one year old. Dont know what it is about that song but it is funny. She is also learning to read now, knows all her letters (though not in order) and knows their sounds. It is funny how different they all are!
#44 of 47 Old 11-27-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor
You know, I've not read all the replies on here, but I think it is interesting how we're all talking about our kids knowing colors and shapes and letters. What about all the other stuff that they know? For instance, my sister at age 3 knew all the letters, numbers up to 20 or so, all the basic shapes and colors. My brother didn't know half of that at the same age. BUT he could tell you about all the different types of trains and cars on the train (hopper, flat, tanker, etc). I think we tend to overlook all the things our kids DO know because we get so wrapped up in what society says they SHOULD know.
You're so right!

I think the most impressive things DD1 knows (right now) is all baby and birth related:

She knows how the placenta works! Mommy eats pizza, and it goes in her body, then the placenta feeds pizza to the baby. So, the baby eats pizza just like mommy!

#45 of 47 Old 11-27-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's answers. I was never worried... we don't watch TV, so she doesn't get information from there, like others were saying. The occasional movie like Wildness Family. That's where her interests lay!! Yesterday I tried saying, "You are painting with red paint!" She got mad and stopped... she doesn't like things like that. She matches all the colors just fine- but if you point out colors, she gets mad like, "Why are you telling me this!" I talked to another mom I know who's DD didn't learn any of that stuff till she was 7 but was so smart in other ways. I won't let anyone try to convince me otherwise.

Thanks ladies!
#46 of 47 Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrylivinmomtoB View Post
Thanks everyone!! I'm so glad to have MDC moms!! You guys rock!! Maybe we are different from others around us, but I'm glad to not be alone!!! Thanks ladies!!
You are definitely not alone!

I can't imagine a healthy, non-colour-blind child not learning his/her colours just from living daily life. And I can't imagine using flashcards and such to try to teach a child colours, any more than we'd try to use flashcards to teach a child what socks are, or what the vacuum cleaner is. Our lives simply include interacting with red things, blue things, pink things, socks, and vacuum cleaners; that is enough to learn such concepts.
#47 of 47 Old 11-27-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
:
I soooo totally agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrylivinmomtoB View Post
Thanks for everyone's answers. I was never worried... we don't watch TV, so she doesn't get information from there, like others were saying. The occasional movie like Wildness Family. That's where her interests lay!! Yesterday I tried saying, "You are painting with red paint!" She got mad and stopped... she doesn't like things like that. She matches all the colors just fine- but if you point out colors, she gets mad like, "Why are you telling me this!" I talked to another mom I know who's DD didn't learn any of that stuff till she was 7 but was so smart in other ways. I won't let anyone try to convince me otherwise.

Thanks ladies!
this, for me, makes a great point. I've been trying to clarify in my mind why all the folk saying "get me the RED ball, you're eating GREEN broccoli, I'm wearing a BLUE dress" made me uneasy.

it's all fake. you wouldnt talk like that to an older child or an adult, or a child who knows their colours. Kids have an inbuilt 'fake' radar, they know we're trying to teach them something, rather than just being real.

honestly, if I thought there was any way my DD might make it to college without knowing her colours, I might try to teach her, but otoh, if I really thought she wouldnt be able to work it out on her own, then maybe its something she just cant do.

I think we accept that every child has her own milestone curve for physical developments; one is born at 38 weeks, one at 42, one walks and talks at 8mo, one at 18, one is on solids at 9mo and one at 2.5yo (assuming child-led weaning/ feeding). We all accept those, but I believe if we are truly respectful, these allowances need to be made for "academic" learning too.

some kids are mentally ready for reading at 3 or 4, and they'll do it on their own (my dd knew all her letters in english and hebrew at 20mo!), some kids will naturally start reading at 9 or 10, and that's fine. (as long as we dont freak out about it, and just give them the space they need to know when they are ready.

I really beleive we need to let nurture children to be themselves, and the learning will happen naturally. I think comparing children is a dangerous pasttime, because its too easy to get sucked into worring that your kid isn't developing "on schedule".
of course they are on schedlue; their own!

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page