Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got enough answers, thanks!
#2 of 47 Old 11-20-2007, 04:49 PM

Sound like you have a very bright sweet child that learns the way most kids want to learn. My DD still to this day cannot "Sit and do school" Instead we learn as we do.

ideas for your daughter, if you are worried
"which shirt do you want to wear, the blue or the red?"
"lets make orange cupcakes today, can you get me the orange food coloring"

If she gets it wrong, just say "oh that is a pretty blue one, but I was looking for this orange one. Do you want to make both blue and orange or just blue cupcakes"

I am one that believes learning comes from exposure, and there are lots of ways to expose kids to things in order to learn. We never taught at preschool age, and she never went to preschool. And, at age 5 she is "above most her age" (I hate those dirty words) Just go with your instincts. You know what is best mama.

To the rest of those people, tell them to sod off.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#3 of 47 Old 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM

DD is 5, and i'm not teaching her in the same way it would be done in school or preschool. we read together, play a bit, i answer her questions and try to share my intersts... honestly, i can't imagine how those to sit down with their children to "teach" them colours or letters do it. i think so much depends on a child's personality. "teaching" would not work for us at all, and also, i don't see any need for it.
#4 of 47 Old 11-20-2007, 07:06 PM

my son will be 4 in march and we don't have any kind of structured learning for him at all. he is definitely learning a lot - but it comes form preschool programs on TV, games we play, books we read, hearing tidbits of what i 'm teaching his sister, etc. ....we have nothing formal in any shape or form at all for him....not even a laid back routine (other than meals and bed time). he's just free to play and explore. he's really wired this way though, so i just let him go in his own direction. i get some slack about it sometimes from others, but it's a conscious choice for us - so i don't listen

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#5 of 47 Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM

I'm not "teaching" ds in any structured way. We read lots of books, play games, etc.

We do go to story time at the library once a week, but tbh the way they run the program and the kinds of things that they say aren't necessarily something I would agree with. It actually makes me a little bit uncomfortable. Ds doesn't necessarily fit in as nicely into the mold as the other kids do, but being the non-conformist I am it doesnt' bother me one bit.

My mil (retired school teacher) tries to "teach" ds in the same manner as the folks who do the story time at the library and it annoys me just as much. I actually asked her to stop last time she was here and she told me that you have to "take advantage of these moments". I was like...ummmm...yeah...if you're his parent. Knock it off lady! :

Anyways...all that to say I don't feel it necessary to push. Ds picks up on all sorts of things and I'd rather he did so on his own and at his own pace then try to force him to learn something. I think it's more successful that way, anyway - even if every color is either pink or yellow at this point!
#6 of 47 Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 PM

I'm really a lurker here, but I just had to add myself to the list. DS is 3, and we don't do any kind of instruction. He's picked up so much on his own, without me trying to take over.

We do the same things you do. Play, live, read, sing, etc. No flashcards for us.

DH's mom loves to talk about how he almost got 'rejected for Kindergarten' because he couldn't identify the color orange. And that was at age 5. Of course he is a visual artist with an MFA now.

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#7 of 47 Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 PM

3 is way too young to teach a child to hate learning. Sounds like you are doing just fine!!!
#8 of 47 Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 PM

My ds will be 4 next week. He has learned his colors and shapes by the fact that we talk about colors and shapes when we get the chance. "look at that big yellow circle!" So I'd say most of the time he gets colors and shapes right these days, but even just today someone showed him a red square and he said it was a red triangle. So obviously he's still learning. At 3 or 4 yrs old, I certainly wouldn't push it or even make it a "formal" learning experience, just talk about things when you get a chance. Use descriptive language so your child has the words to describe things for him/her self. Mostly just have fun while experiencing life and learning will happen naturally.

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#9 of 47 Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 PM

My ds is 4.5 and we basically just have the flashcards, workbooks, etc.. available to him if he asks for them (and sometimes he will).. Otherwise, we just go about our day playing and doing our "chores" lol.. He actually has learned a bit from pbs (yes, I know bad bad bad but he does get an hour of tv every morning when hes waking up because hes a grouch and doesnt like to be spoken to, looked at, or anything when he wakes up lol) We color a lot because he asks to. He does know most of his colors (cant tell the difference between blue and purple or orange and yellow) and he knows most of his simple shapes (doesnt know rectangle). He knows his alphabet when saying them but can only point out a few of the letters written down and cannot write any of them. He knows his numbers and can count to 10... after 10 he mixes it all up lol.. but he cannot tell you the number 1 is 1 or any other number. Just keep doing what your doing. I always say the color of something before the object name.. like "you want to wear the blue shirt?" or "go get me the green paper" things like that.. but seriously, pre-k is not the time for schoolwork or flashcards unless its fun for the child.. if they want to do it, go for it.. Another great thing is board games if your child likes them.. my son just recently fell in love with board games like Candy Land and Hi Ho Cherry O and Lucky Ducks
#10 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 12:35 AM

This isn't exactly an answer to the question, but sort of a related life experience that sheds light:

I never had a moment of formal learning before I started Kindergarten. I didn't go to pre-school or anything, and my parents weren't homeschooling so they'd never considered "teaching" me anything. The stuff I learned was learned incidentally, from being read to or playing games or just living in the world. When I started K I got some flack for not being able to print my name in lower case letters, but by the time I was in grade 1 I was being put in "enrichment" classes because I was one of the "smart kids." I never saw a flashcard until I was in grade 2. And I was at the very top of my class all through school and university and I've got a Master's degree now.

So if your kid isn't interested in structured learning and flashcards and all that yet, I sure wouldn't worry about it for a moment.

I know the educational world works a little differently now than it did 23 years ago when I started K, but I don't know that it SHOULD work differently. I once visited an inner city pre-school program in Chicago and was told that students are expected to come to K being able to read, so the pre-school program is obligated to teach them . . . that's sure different from the way I grew up. And just imagine, my parents didn't start school until they were SIX and there wasn't any such thing as kindergarten! I think we all turn out fine in the end.
#11 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 AM

Wow. My daughter went to a nursery school program in a vocational/tech school, too, but it was a COMPLETELY different experience than the description of flash cards : 3 year olds need play, they respond to play & they learn THROUGH play. Play is all they need. Preschool kids can & do learn everything they need to know through PLAY.

As an education major & as someone with my Teacher Assistant certification, I am shocked that she's pushing FLASHCARDS this soon :
#12 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD1 is almost 5 and we aren't doing anything yet, we are too busy playing. She isn't interested in numbers or letters, I know that one day she will be, so I'm not concerned.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#13 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 04:31 AM

One thing my dd loved, still loves is colours in the bath. Sometimes it would be one colour or sometimes I do two so she can see how they mix.
#14 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 04:56 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
You know, kids are all different. I remember years ago a friend of mine telling me how happy she was that her almost-7-year-old was taking an interest in the alphabet and letter-sounds. I didn't say a thing, but I was privately stunned. My own barely-3yo was already reading, and I didn't think I'd done anything much to facilitate that. No alphabet books, no flashcards, no teachy moments, no Starfall, no workbooks. How the heck could a child possibly get to age 6 and not have those basic skills?

I was a first-time parent with a kid at the other end of the spectrum. I didn't realize that wonderfully bright, normal children could learn on such a wide range of schedules. I didn't realize that my kid was really that far ahead to have learned her alphabet before age 2. But now I've watched a lot of other kids grow up and learn at their own quirky but perfectly-suited-to-them paces, and 7-year-old non-readers don't surprise me at all. But back then, yeah, I was genuinely surprised that my friend had a child who hadn't picked these skills up much sooner.

So maybe it's not so much that they think you should be flashcarding your little one, but that their experiences are with children who have learned these things on a rather different natural schedule.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#15 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 06:10 AM

Can I share an anecdotal rant for a moment?

My oldest is just over 4 (turned 4 back in August). She and I love to watch the Sprout Channel's Good Night Show for Sagwa and Kipper (it's "our" time to be together since I WOH fulltime.) Well, since we have satellite, we sometimes catch the end of one 3 hr episode (probably the Central Time one) before it switches over to PST and repeats. So there some commercials between, obviously geared at parents (as in Kaboom, Gerber life insurance, and...) One of the commercials I have caught was for Hooked on Phonics. I am not talking down about this program, but this marketing angle just ruffles my feathers. It's a mom and a little boy somewhere (an office waiting room I gather) and the little boy is reading out loud. So the other moms begin to ask this mom, "how old is he?" "He just turned four," she replies. "He reads so well. Is he in school?" and she says, "No, we've been practicing..." : Um wait a minute, didn't he just turn 4? Now he's in school?

I can't attest to HOP and I'm certain it works well for families. But what bothers me is that this is aired on a children's station in the hopes that parents now become concerned that their little 4 yo is not reading. To me it says, good parents are teaching their kids before the age of 4 how to read. That, to me, sets an unfair standard.

Now to bring this back to on topic... we fluctuate. I feel that we're always teaching and at the same time we're not teaching. Yes, there are things I want my children to know and learn. I was an early reader as was dh (both about 4yo.) But I don't expect that of my children. I'm happy dd know's her letters and numbers to about 15. But this wasn't from drills or lessons. She displayed an interest and we sang abc songs and counted with her. Ds is still coming online with talking, but his understanding is immense compared to dd at his age (about 2.5yo.) If you ask him a color, he'll present the correct one, but he can't fully say it yet (as in blue is still "boo.") I figure one day, he'll be speaking clearly and non-stop. He repeats numbers in 3s, but he's learned them from dd (so he'll say out of nowhere "4,5,6" or "8,9,10" ) Instead, dd was running at age 9 mon (she learned to walk later on) and was speaking 3 word sentences at 18 mon. Children differ. Obviously, if dd is having reading problems later on we'll have her tested just as we would have ds screened if he's not talking.

You're not alone. There are still parents who hope their young children have playschool experiences - meaning painting, imaginative play, story time, etc. (as I did when my mom worked at my preschool) - compared to academic preschool experiences where one need to know all the alphabet and a series of number in addition to writing their own first and last name. :

I think this is what is great about hs'ing our dc -- we'll be able to adapt, if necessary, to their specific styles. The schools here are not good, and while class size is limited with younger grades, I fear that the kids would be more likely to receive an emergency credential teacher. Turn over rate for my district is high.
#16 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 10:02 AM

Why do people think 2, and 3 y/o kids need to do preschool? STOP worrying! Your child is NOT going to go through life not knowing her colors, numbers or ABCs. She will learn them through every day activities. No one is going to ask when did your dd learn her colors? My ds is almost 5 and he is NOT in preschool. I tried doing some reading lessons, but he hated it. There is no reason a child need to learn to read at 4 or even 5. So far my first 2 boys did not learn to read on their own till 7 or 8. My dd learned much earlier, but I think that is because by then i had stopped pushing and so she learned at her own pace.

Be a REBEL! Fight back for the sake of your dd. Don't make excuses about why she does not know something. Talk about what she CAN do and what she likes to do. Sorry i feel VERY strongly about this. Can you tell?
Robin
#17 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papooses View Post
Wow. My daughter went to a nursery school program in a vocational/tech school, too, but it was a COMPLETELY different experience than the description of flash cards : 3 year olds need play, they respond to play & they learn THROUGH play. Play is all they need. Preschool kids can & do learn everything they need to know through PLAY.

As an education major & as someone with my Teacher Assistant certification, I am shocked that she's pushing FLASHCARDS this soon :
Oh, the vo-tech program is great!! They have playtime, then crafttime, snack time, and story time (circle time)- in circle time they sing songs, learn letters etc. But all the kids know their letters before they start at 3, so I guess my mom just thought, if I wanted to send DD there, it would be nice for her to learn her letters first. We went to a class 1 day last year, when DD was 2.5, and I just felt like she was a world behind these kids...during circle time, she got up and sat behind the kids quietly playing with puzzles... which was a 'no no' but since she was visiting it was okay...

I didn't enroll her this year because I just thought, it really isn't her thing. There is lots of fun time to play and stuff, but I thought the actual circle time of learning numbers and stuff, wouldn't be her.
#18 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin4kids View Post
Why do people think 2, and 3 y/o kids need to do preschool? STOP worrying! Your child is NOT going to go through life not knowing her colors, numbers or ABCs. She will learn them through every day activities. No one is going to ask when did your dd learn her colors? My ds is almost 5 and he is NOT in preschool. I tried doing some reading lessons, but he hated it. There is no reason a child need to learn to read at 4 or even 5. So far my first 2 boys did not learn to read on their own till 7 or 8. My dd learned much earlier, but I think that is because by then i had stopped pushing and so she learned at her own pace.

Be a REBEL! Fight back for the sake of your dd. Don't make excuses about why she does not know something. Talk about what she CAN do and what she likes to do. Sorry i feel VERY strongly about this. Can you tell?
Robin

Thanks for this. I used to say that with walking and talking and stuff. DD has been behind in talking before age 3, and all of a sudden, she's talking in sentences and people even say "She talks well for a 3 year old"...it's shocking to hear that because months earlier people were like "oh...she really doesn't talk that great does she?"

I don't want to push her at all...that's why I'm am "being a rebel"...everyone keeps telling me I need to put her there for the "Social life" but...that's a whole nother topic of debate!!!

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement.
#19 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
Can I share an anecdotal rant for a moment?

My oldest is just over 4 (turned 4 back in August). She and I love to watch the Sprout Channel's Good Night Show for Sagwa and Kipper (it's "our" time to be together since I WOH fulltime.) Well, since we have satellite, we sometimes catch the end of one 3 hr episode (probably the Central Time one) before it switches over to PST and repeats. So there some commercials between, obviously geared at parents (as in Kaboom, Gerber life insurance, and...) One of the commercials I have caught was for Hooked on Phonics. I am not talking down about this program, but this marketing angle just ruffles my feathers. It's a mom and a little boy somewhere (an office waiting room I gather) and the little boy is reading out loud. So the other moms begin to ask this mom, "how old is he?" "He just turned four," she replies. "He reads so well. Is he in school?" and she says, "No, we've been practicing..." : Um wait a minute, didn't he just turn 4? Now he's in school?

I can't attest to HOP and I'm certain it works well for families. But what bothers me is that this is aired on a children's station in the hopes that parents now become concerned that their little 4 yo is not reading. To me it says, good parents are teaching their kids before the age of 4 how to read. That, to me, sets an unfair standard.

Now to bring this back to on topic... we fluctuate. I feel that we're always teaching and at the same time we're not teaching. Yes, there are things I want my children to know and learn. I was an early reader as was dh (both about 4yo.) But I don't expect that of my children. I'm happy dd know's her letters and numbers to about 15. But this wasn't from drills or lessons. She displayed an interest and we sang abc songs and counted with her. Ds is still coming online with talking, but his understanding is immense compared to dd at his age (about 2.5yo.) If you ask him a color, he'll present the correct one, but he can't fully say it yet (as in blue is still "boo.") I figure one day, he'll be speaking clearly and non-stop. He repeats numbers in 3s, but he's learned them from dd (so he'll say out of nowhere "4,5,6" or "8,9,10" ) Instead, dd was running at age 9 mon (she learned to walk later on) and was speaking 3 word sentences at 18 mon. Children differ. Obviously, if dd is having reading problems later on we'll have her tested just as we would have ds screened if he's not talking.

You're not alone. There are still parents who hope their young children have playschool experiences - meaning painting, imaginative play, story time, etc. (as I did when my mom worked at my preschool) - compared to academic preschool experiences where one need to know all the alphabet and a series of number in addition to writing their own first and last name. :

I think this is what is great about hs'ing our dc -- we'll be able to adapt, if necessary, to their specific styles. The schools here are not good, and while class size is limited with younger grades, I fear that the kids would be more likely to receive an emergency credential teacher. Turn over rate for my district is high.
I wanted to say I saw this commerical the other day and thought, "What in the world...he just turned 4?"

I know some kids will sit for hours doing school work (Like our next door neighbors- they will sit all day at a table doing schoolwork- they are 2 and 4.5) But, my DD would never want to "learn" like that.
#20 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 02:01 PM

I think using flashcards with a three year old is silly. We're Montessori-Eclectic here, and with each of them at three it was practical life-practical life- practical life.

What you described your child as doing is exactly what she should be doing. As long as you have things available to her, she will naturally navigate things just nicely on her own.

Check this book out by Michael Olaf. It has exactly what a three year old an / should be doing, and I think it will relax you:

http://www.michaelolaf.com/JCcontents.html
#21 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 PM

Couldn't read without replying, Hi Erica!

We don't do school. Although dd1 is into some schooly things right now, but totally at her own interest. I just answer her questions. I know she would do terribly in a structured ps setting.

She would not like to be tested. I don't do the ask her questions to test her knowledge thing. When other people do (grandparents are good at this) she looks at them like, why are *you* asking *me*, don't you know?? She usually says nothing even if she knows, or says I don't know and asks them back.

She asks me what does this say, how do you spell whatever, but I would never take out some flash cards or a book and say, ok, what letter is this? Just not something I've ever done.

She resists "I know and you don't" ways of teaching/showing too.

About the colors-- if you want her to get more clarity, talk colors more. Use them as adjectives when you can: "Oh, I think I'm going to use this red Lego. - Hey! I like that orange shirt! - Let's put some socks on. Here we go, pink socks, pink socks, on they go, pink socks."

To get to the point, your daughter's doing fine. She's an active, bright kid. She'll continue to learn in her own way. Follow her lead and she'll go far!
#22 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 05:08 PM

My DD1 (3.5yo) absolutely loves "school" and everything school-like. She WANTS flashcards and worksheets with letters and numbers and colors and ALL of it!

BUT she has major problems with being "wrong" - getting the wrong answer, saying the wrong letter, not being able to write the letter "correctly." So we have to be VERY careful to keep things playful with her.

She does go to preschool because it's part of the daycare program we use, but at home I don't do anything other than reading with her and showing her what she is asking for (i.e. she sees a picture of a kangaroo and asks what letter does it start with, then how do you write a "K", etc.). As far as the at-home stuff goes it is totally child-led. Yes, I try to read her stories that are 1 step ahead of her to see if she is ready, but if she's not, we back up.

Another thought. If the flash cards are nice and big and she can play with them on her own, get 2 sets and call them a matching game. Let her play on her own and with you. Name the cards when you find a match. Ask "Hmmm, what color is on your card?" Just be playful. If she is interested, great! if not, great!

Both my DDs (3.5 and 2.0) love to pick out their own clothes to wear and name the colors, so I use this to reinforce what they already know. With DD1 I'm starting to teach her the odd-ball colors like burgandy and navy blue. BUT she is ready for this. DD2 will say light green and dark green, but has no interest in forest green, and cannot distinguish shades of blue. This is fine! She'll get there when she gets there. If it's at 3yo or at 5yo, it will be the right time for HER.
#23 of 47 Old 11-21-2007, 09:33 PM

What's the label for a 4yo who isn't going to go to school?

We don't do any school-y work at all and dd who will be 5 in feb has only just begun to be able to use numbers for counting, got her colours straight about 6 months ago but is great at talking, very opinionated and her ltter formation is just beautiful.

We do ordinary things every day like shopping, talking, cooking, talking, reading, talking, walking out and about and more and more talking.

The skills of being able to read and then write down your own ideas is secondary to being able to communicate verbally at this age and there s so much to talk about! Having said that, my ds2 was famous for being a boy of few words even at 5yo but his words were always apt!
#24 of 47 Old 11-22-2007, 01:21 AM

My youngest ds is 4 years old and there is NO WAY I'd be able to get him to sit still long enought to "teach" him anything. If he even senses that I'm trying to "teach" him, he's outta there, lol!!

BUT, he knows his letter sounds, he can write his name as well as other other letters. And he LOVES to do so! Those things, he didn't learn from me though. He learned them through daily stuff. His letter sounds came with watching leapfrog letter factory dvd and he started writing letters by just copying everything he saw.

Now. next year for kindergarten, I'm alittle stressed, b/c I plan on doing a curriculum with him (only takes about 30 min/day) but I don't know how I'm going to "teach" him. He's shown me he's his own boy, lol!! Who knows though, by then things will be alot different!!

HTH alittle bit??
#25 of 47 Old 11-22-2007, 09:33 AM

My youngest just turned 4 and we're not doing any preschool or school with him. He just lives life and plays. He's learning all the time. Some of my biggest educational hopes for my kids are that they remain self-motivated and creative. Those traits are the ones that will help them in schooly pursuits down the road. As a former training consultant and instructor in industry, I've never had a problem with people following instructions and waiting to be told what to do. I have had a problem with people being unable or unwilling to think outside of the box and take initiative. I see that kids already possess self-motivation and wacky creativity so it's important to me to foster it. I foster it by largely staying out of their way.
#26 of 47 Old 11-22-2007, 09:51 AM

I'm currently not teaching my second preschooler, and not teaching my first grader! It's still working amazingly well! Just living life, my oldest daughter is reading quite fluently, having fun manipulating numbers, and delving deeply into her interests. My current "preschooler" is going about it more slowly than her older sister, but is still "average." She recognizes several letters, is playing with rhyming words, and can count and recognize several numbers. And she has learned these things as we go about living our lives, not from any lessons. I'm going to continue not teaching my upcoming "preschooler," my one year old son, who is currently learning how to walk!

As someone else already pointed out, preschool as something every kid does is a recent thing. My siblings and I didn't go to preschool, and we all did well. I think it's sad to see academics pushed down into preschool. Let kids be kids and play! And that goes for well into childhood!

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#27 of 47 Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cntrykids View Post
My youngest ds is 4 years old and there is NO WAY I'd be able to get him to sit still long enought to "teach" him anything. If he even senses that I'm trying to "teach" him, he's outta there, lol!!

BUT, he knows his letter sounds, he can write his name as well as other other letters. And he LOVES to do so! Those things, he didn't learn from me though. He learned them through daily stuff. His letter sounds came with watching leapfrog letter factory dvd and he started writing letters by just copying everything he saw.

Now. next year for kindergarten, I'm alittle stressed, b/c I plan on doing a curriculum with him (only takes about 30 min/day) but I don't know how I'm going to "teach" him. He's shown me he's his own boy, lol!! Who knows though, by then things will be alot different!!

HTH alittle bit??
YES! my ds is the exact same way!!!!! he knows all of his colors, letters, numbers, etc., but it didn't come from flash cards or lessons through me we have preschool programs we watch, leapfrog videos, games like lucky ducks, hi hi cheerio, guess who? etc.

i'm not an unschooler at all, so when he's kindergarten age, i will slowly start a routine with him, but i will never expect him to to do "seatwork". i suspect his learning style will continue to be through play and hand-on for quite some time to come.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#28 of 47 Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 AM

ITA with Riversky; 3yo is way too young to teach a child to hate learning.

I honestly dont get why we have any standards for what a child should know by any age.

OP, your DD will learn all the colours and shapes and even the periodic table of the elements and calculus, in her own time.

to say a 3yo needs flash cards to get up to speed would be like putting a 7mo in a walker so they'll start walking early. might as well buy the kid a car and start driving lessons :

no need to do anything fake. no need to talk in colours. no need for flashcards. just love living life

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#29 of 47 Old 11-22-2007, 10:11 AM

We occasionally sit down and DS's "desk" (a little table in his room for drawing and painting) and do worksheets and things like that, but only because he likes to do it from time to time. He enjoys playing school. I have no idea where he got this idea about school, though, as he attended a preschool for four days last year before we had to pull him for medical reasons, but they do play based not flashcards and worksheets.

I consider myself home educating him at this point, but it really isn't much different than what I did before we had to take him out of preschool. We cook and clean and paint and draw and hike and just talk about the things around us. I am working on colors with my 2YO DD the same way as I did them with DS. When we paint, I talk about the colors she is using. When we get dressed, I do the same thing. When we do things, I just mention the colors that we come across. I don't push it or make it seem like a "lesson." I just figure that eventually, she will put them together. DS and I do math and reading in similar ways. I just talk about things and ask fun questions throughout the day ("We had four apple slices, but you ate one. How many are left now?") He tends to tell me when he doesn't want to play games like that, so I just drop it at times like that.

Learning should be fun for her. Hopefully, it can be fun for you, too. Let her show you how she likes to learn and go with it. There will be plenty of time for structured learning later in life, unfortunately.
#30 of 47 Old 11-22-2007, 12:12 PM

Neither of my kids have ever been to preschool or kindergarten, and dd certainly has not even started gr 1. The most formal thing they ever have been to was a toy lending library program/family resource center with me and there certainly was not an academic bent there.

I too let my kids play, and trust that they will learn when they are ready. I guess it helps that my "preschooler" is the younger one and I have been through this all before and am more "trusting" as it were that they will learn when they are ready. Like a previous poster suggested with their child, my dd was (and still is occasionally) scared of being "wrong" and I have learned to back wAAaaAaaay off on her...very private about reading although now I can detect she is quite fluent at her "grade level", would be furious when she wrote a letter "crooked" until she realized her peers write just as "bad" as her (and I wasn't even being pushy in the first place), and she still awes me as to what she learns WHEN SHE IS READY and when I trust her.

Therefore, I am more "trusting" of ds, and more relaxed and not analyzing every interaction as it being "educational" or not, and everything "flows" more. Ds too has learned his colors just through informal conversation and over a long period of this now can identify pretty much anything. He has grasped mathematical concepts the same way. I have just tried to follow his interests, for example, I've noticed he has started randomly counting lately, I can see he grasps he has two trucks or whatever, so I have made a point of getting more counting books out...he grasps it because he has the interest at this point and it is much more "natural" than deciding he must learn "x" at a "y" age and meeting resistance.

I guess I am just living an unschooling/child led learning-joyfully-discovering-everything-with-my-kids lifestyle because it feels right, and I see my kids learn best without an overt curriculum plan and we are going to learn this TODAY and meet a learning "objective" because **I** feel it is the right time (otherwise, they balk...they would NEVER do well in a formal school setting! )

2c before I go. I think we worry way too much about academics and learning at an early age, and even at older ages too. Look at all those philosophies like Waldorf or the writings of Ray and Dorthy Moore or David Elkind (The Hurried Child, Much Too Early, etc) that encourage delaying it, it is SAD what your laws like NCLB have done. Canada overall doesn't push it as much I think, at least we don't have formal federal laws, but that day is coming, I think :

We as adults (product of our schooling perhaps) analyze and categorize and lay the yardstick along kids and dig the round hole to jam their square peg selves in for our "own" reassurance, to ensure that we are "doing right", to relieve our own anxieties about how they will turn out because we are trying to guarentee a result (all in the class-of-20 have all met the objectives at the same time) that is impossible...each child is unique, learns at their own pace, whether we like it or not.

Just my rant...

off my soapbox, everyone carry on now...

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page