Apples to Apples game question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wanting to purchase this game as I have heard so many great things about it but with a 9 and 10 year old, Im not sure if I should get the Jr. version or the original.

My kids read well but Im not sure if the Jr. version is more about the subject or the, "easier to read" words.

Thanks for your help.:
#2 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple living mama View Post
My kids read well but Im not sure if the Jr. version is more about the subject or the, "easier to read" words.
The subjects are different. The Jr. version has words like, "playgrounds," "gummi bears," "sunshine," "Big Bird," etc. We can all play it, although we prefer the regular version.

The regular version has political, historical and literary references, ("Berlin-1945" "Ernest Hemingway," "Paying Taxes," etc.) as well as things like "Going to Grandma's," "Choir Boys," and "Icebergs." My 7 yr/old doesn't always get the connections, but it makes for good discussions. There are a few different ways to play--one alternative is to have everyone throw out their answer card BEFORE hearing the question--it can be pretty funny, playing "blind" this way, and it evens the playing field for my youngest when he plays with his teenaged sibs and I.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We have the regular version and the kids don't always know what all the words mean. Reading level isn't a problem though.

It might be fun to get both and mix them together for a wider variety of cards and subject to choose from. If you're only going to get one, I'd go for the junior version now and then consider getting the regular version later.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Dar

We started with the regular version, and Rain was 7 or 8 then...but we generally played with mixed-age groups. There was a 4 year old playing, too... there may have been some cards they didn't know in the beginning, but they learned, and there were cards some adults didn't know, either. It made it more fun for us...

We play that everyone throws down their card and talks at the same time, until the judge throws their card in the discard pile or makes a decision... it's a loud and enegetic way to play!

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#5 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 03:53 PM

Dd prefered the regular version at 10 or so. She does like having the occasional odd reference or word tossed her way because it mixes things up a bit.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I think I will go for the original. The idea of throwing both in together was a good idea but my budget only allows for one. Thanks for such a quick response.

Regina
#7 of 9 Old 11-28-2007, 12:43 AM

Coming in late....but I think you will be happier with the adult version. The Jr. version has a lot of pop cultural references that my kids would not get.
#8 of 9 Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 PM

We have the original.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#9 of 9 Old 11-29-2007, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annab View Post
Coming in late....but I think you will be happier with the adult version. The Jr. version has a lot of pop cultural references that my kids would not get.
Yeah, I really don't like when games do this as it get outdated very fast and, being a non-TV family, much of it goes right over my kids heads.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page