Fascinating article: "Teaching our Children to Read, Write and Spell" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-01-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was looking around in the Mothering home page and came across a link to a magazine called Lilipoh ~ The Spirit of Life. Went to their website and found this fascinating article by Susan Johnson, an M.D. who is a Behavioral and Developmental Pediatrician:

Teaching our Children to Read, Write and Spell

Excerpt:
"It is time to remove the desks from kindergartens and preschools. Our preschools and kindergartens need to fill their curriculums with play consisting of lots of sensory integration activities that will strengthen fine motor movements, visual motor abilities, balance, muscle tone, proprioception, as well as strengthen children’s social and emotional development. Activities like imaginary play, climbing, running, jumping, hopping, skipping, walking the balance beam, playing circle games, singing, playing catch, doing meaningful chores, painting, coloring, playing hand-clapping games, doing string games, and finger knitting will strengthen their minds for learning. Children need these healthy, harmonious, rhythmic, and noncompetitive movements to develop their brains. For it is the movements of their body that create the pathways in their mind for reading, writing, spelling, mathematics, and creative thinking."
#2 of 9 Old 12-01-2007, 08:54 PM

Wow Lillian that was GREAT! I needed to read the part about young infants & children sleeping & how they are not aware of their bodies in space & that when a parent is nearby the childs proprioception(nervous System) senses this & this makes it easier for the child to go back to sleep. So so fascinating.

Gotta forward this to about 3 dozen people

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#3 of 9 Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 9 Old 12-02-2007, 03:52 AM

That is a very nice article. Thanks for posting it!

I would love to see references for what the author is saying. There are a lot of clues that it is written from a Waldorf perspective, and the mag is geared toward Waldorf education.

I wonder how much of the content is influenced by the author's involvement in Waldorf, vs. her training as a pediatrician.
#5 of 9 Old 12-02-2007, 04:25 AM

That is indeed a wonderful article. Thank you, Lillian.
#6 of 9 Old 12-02-2007, 05:46 AM

Interesting article. I can see quite a bit of my son in the description of the child in the earlier part of the article (as well as my brother who struggled in the early years at school).

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#7 of 9 Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 AM

That approach certainly works for me. I can't imagine my 4 yr old ds doing anything involving sitting still (unless maybe good food or playdough is involved )

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#8 of 9 Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Wow, that was excellent!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#9 of 9 Old 12-02-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly crunchy View Post
I would love to see references for what the author is saying. There are a lot of clues that it is written from a Waldorf perspective, and the mag is geared toward Waldorf education.

I wonder how much of the content is influenced by the author's involvement in Waldorf, vs. her training as a pediatrician.
Yes, I was wondering the same thing, but it seemed as if her medical background dominated her take. I'd love to talk with her and find out how she came to be associated with Waldorf - if she'd come across it after already having some strong ideas about how things should be... I'm not a big Waldorf advocate - my son was in two years of the kindergarten, and then we left - but I found lots of things I liked about it along with all the things I didn't. Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page