Homeschool friendly states - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone tell me more about homeschooling in Vermont and life, in general, in and around Burlington? We have a job possibility there...

Thanks. :

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 105 Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 PM

subbing
#93 of 105 Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatrlCatholicMama View Post
Georgia is very, very friendly. You send in a sheet monthly marking how many days you did school (and of course, everything in a homeschooler's life is educational, so it all counts) and once every three years you take a standardized test of you choice - which never gets reported to the state. You're just required to keep the results.

There are gazillions of hs'ing support groups of all kinds, hs'ing days at all many public facilities (from baseball to water parks), everyone who hosts field trips caters to hs'ers as well, and I never get weird looks (at least in the last 5 years), b/c everyone knows several people who hs.
I'll second the above
There are a lot of homeschoolers in the metro Atlanta area, so it is pretty easy to find support groups, activities, homeschool days at various venues etc.
8 yrs ago it was most groups were very conservative, fundamental etc. However homeschooling is now extremely popular, so there are a lot more choices out there.
#94 of 105 Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 AM

Anyone know what Montana is like?
Thank you!:

42 year old runnerjog.gif, hiker. Mom to DS(6/28/08) smile.gifand married to my best friend. Cloth diaper and plan to homeschool. Love my life in the mountains. Identical twin boys born 11/3/11 selectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpgbfolderchild.gifnocirc.giffambedsingle2.gif

#95 of 105 Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 PM

Bumping.

Pat

I have a blog.
#96 of 105 Old 08-20-2009, 05:08 AM

Hi all! Just thought I'd chime in that HS'ing stipends are available in Washington. You just have to find a school district nearby that gives them and transfer. There's a bit more paperwork required if you go this route, but it's pretty easy.

Meredith, Waldorf teacher and mother of ds C (14), dd A (11) and ds L (7)
#97 of 105 Old 08-21-2009, 03:14 PM

We live in Southern MD. We have had an easy time. We register (every year) and then have to provide a portfolio of work twice a year (usually Jan. & June). You can also sign up with an umbrella school. Some parents bring in every piece of work their child has done and others (like me) just bring in some examples for each subject. Most portfolio reviews are done by retired teachers or other homeschool parents and are easy as pie. No testing or anything else required. Of course MD has a rich history and plenty of museums & monuments! Our big downside is the cost of living...some cities are better than others but still not great.

I'm happy to hear about NC & SC! My family & friends are all talking about moving down there in the next couple of years.

Sky, mama to dd 10/00, dd 3/02, ds 7/04, dd 3/07, ds 7/10, stork-girl.gif11/12 & married 11 yrs

#98 of 105 Old 08-21-2009, 04:06 PM

Nebraska is super easy...just fill out the menial paperwork, wait for the letter back and voila homeschooling for the year

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#99 of 105 Old 08-21-2009, 10:38 PM

i'm sure, since i haven't seen NY in any post, my answer is probably HA!!! But what about NY? please tell me it wouldn't be difficult.
dee
#100 of 105 Old 08-22-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeeee View Post
i'm sure, since i haven't seen NY in any post, my answer is probably HA!!! But what about NY? please tell me it wouldn't be difficult.
dee
I don't live in NY but here is a link to the HSLDA and laws around HS: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_York.pdf In NY they have required subjects to follow each year and they have to submit the yearly standardized test results and they have to file quarterly reports....so yeah, it sounds like there is too much control of a HS in that state.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#101 of 105 Old 08-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo7 View Post
The main reason I decided NOT to register is that I don't think it's any buisiness of the state's that I am homeschooling. One day down the road they may decide to be more "pro-active" when it comes to homeschoolers or maybe thay will decide to levy a tax on homeschoolers, really who knows with the government. The point is I would not want to make it easy to be contacted by them in the event they decide what measures they may take. The less control they have the better. Frankly, I really don't want them in my private buisiness. This is one reason why I decided to homeschool in the first place.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't homeschool in secret. I tell anyone who wants to know what we're doing. I want to make sure that people also know that I have nothing to hide. I don't want to come across as "an end of the worlder" or anything. It's just that I am a firm believer that the less the gov't knows about our private home life the better off we are.

That being said, of course, I hope you understand this philosophy has nothing to do with taking children out of abusive homes or making sure a child is safe where they are living. I am only saying that I believe that the gov't should not have a voice in how parents choose to school their children.
I just have to say I couldn't agree with this more!

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#102 of 105 Old 08-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytrue View Post
In NY they have required subjects to follow each year and they have to submit the yearly standardized test results and they have to file quarterly reports....so yeah, it sounds like there is too much control of a HS in that state.
Although there are even unschoolers there, so sometimes things aren't as daunting as they may seem. Here's a whole page about New York Homeschooling, with links to various resources and groups - there very well may be some simple ways of dealing with those things without having to compromise too much. - Lillian
#103 of 105 Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM

I just saw this post as I was searching for Waldorf in NC.  Do you have any members of your group who lean toward Waldorf homeschooling?  We are moving to Charlotte area next month from Boise, ID.We are in our first year of hs.  Before that, my boys attended a Waldorf school.

I am looking for a group to join or just other like-minded families in the area.  Thanks so much for any help!

warmly,

HJulie

#104 of 105 Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 PM

Texas is one of the easiest states to homeschool in.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#105 of 105 Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I've not read the whole thread but had to mention our state - Idaho. There really are no regulations, you just keep your kids at home. The government isn't involved at all. There's no forms to send or anybody to notify.

However, here in Northern Idaho, the population is so teeny tiny that you're lucky to find other humans to socialize with, homeschooled or not! lol 

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page