email for kids...blogging - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-05-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm just getting started with homeschool and have spent hours reading archives on this site. What a wealth of information and broad spectrums of learning, I love it!

I am fairly new at blogging. My daughter started her own blog, or so I thought. I put it under my email address and it shows up under my name. Do I need to get her her own email address for it to show that it's hers?

I am nervous about getting her own email account for her but want to! Are there any that you're aware of that are spamfree for free? Or some that are less. I suppose I could get her her own and just not have her use it, but I really want her and my other kids to email each other and maybe even get a penpal or something. Anyway, thought?

Thanks,
Dain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-05-2007, 09:20 PM

Hi,
My dd is 6 and has her own email address. We write her cousins and grandparents. I would be more concerned about a blog that was visible to many, as opposed to an email account. Is her blog set to private? She shouldn't get spam at her email address unless she uses it to sign up for things or visit other websites with it. My dd has never received one spam. Anyway, hope this helps

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#3 of 8 Old 12-05-2007, 11:16 PM

My DS has an e-mail account. Like the PP, I'm more comfortable with an e-mail account than a blog. My DS e-mails friends and family members. I have the password, so I'm able to check the account just to make sure there aren't any issues.

I've found e-mail a great way for DS to improve his writing and spelling skills.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 8 Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

My blog is not private which is why I want her to have her own, and make that private.

I guess I've had the same email forever and get tons of spam. Can I ask what they use? yahoo, hotmail ?

Thanks

Dain
#5 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 12:06 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
To set up a different user account for a blog you'll need a different e-mail address, but it doesn't necessarily have to be hers. Set yourself up an alternate address (whether through your ISP or Hotmail or whatever), and use that to sign her up for a blog account. If you're uncomfortable with her having her own e-mail account, use it only for the purpose of the blog, and treat it as yours.

My son owns his own domain and webhosting package, so when we need a new e-mail account we just get him to make us one. So I don't have any advice on which service to use, sorry!

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#6 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

No way--I'm so excited you answered my first post! I have to admit, I've kind of been stalking you! We just decided to homeschool our kids a couple weeks ago, and since I threw my back out I've had lots of time to research! I'd been bouncing around trying to find something I really liked when I ran across one of your replys on another message board. I liked it, followed, checked out your siggy, hopped on your blog, and struck gold!

I have pages of tips that I've got from researching your blog, games ordered that you recommended (well played--same thing!) Oh my goodness, I'm a fan! : I'm all nervous, lol! Anyway, everytime I have a question I think of emailing you; you could be rich! Okay, I'll stop. Ahem...

I had actually thought of signing her up with one of my email addresses. I was just thinking since we're pulling all our kids out, they'd love emailing each other.

It looks like the real key is having my 11yo boy have the idea of creating his own domain and webhosting package, so when we need a new e-mail account we just get him to make us one! I have so much to learn!!!!

Thanks for making my day!

Dain
#7 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Dain, you are too funny! Thanks for the chuckle! Now that I know you're stalking me, I'll be checking over my shoulder as I wander around the internet. Look forward to seeing your skulking presence here and there!

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#8 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Miranda,

I much prefer your appreciation over a restraining order, many thanks!

-Dain

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page