How many subject lessons in a day? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all... so after more research and learning we've decided that unschooling isn't for us. So my hubby and I are brainstorming as to what we want to start teaching them first. We are so excited and have so many ideas! Our daughters are 8, 6 and 4. We're a bit concerned about the lesson being either boring for our oldest one, or too challenging for our other two.
We were also wondering how many different subjects you teach them in a day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 AM

One thing to consider is that there's a whole lot of room in between unschooling and doing a set number of lessons each day. You'll be amazed to find how much can and will be learned in more casual ways. My inclination would be to suggest thinking in terms of starting in slowly with a few learning activities, educational games, reading wonderful books to them, and feeling things out as you go.

You could set up a structure based on certain general categories of things you'd like to provide on certain days each week - library day, park day with the support group, game times, science and nature experiments, reading wonderful things to them, math exploration games and activities, family writing activities that may or may not involved them actually physically writing but maybe dictating something, making little books to draw, paste, and/or write in - whatever each of you have in mind, only in very small increments... That way, they won't feel overwhelmed all of a sudden - keep in mind that they may not share as much enthusiasm for as you're coming into it with, but will certainly enjoy learning and participating in activities if they feel relaxed and casual. I'm saying this from the standpoint of someone who had lots of ideas of how and what I was going to teach my son, and quickly learned that his learning required a lot less teaching than I'd expected. If you start slowly, you can easily add things, but it's a little harder to back up and pare things down when you have the momentum going.

These are some threads that have lots of ideas for materials and activities that can provide learning of all sorts of things. I'm not sure why people addressed the heading to unschoolers - unless it has to do with assuming that unschoolers are more interested in these sorts of things, but I don't think that's the case:
Favorite "educational games"
Math and manipulatives
Favorites to keep on hand

Have fun! - Lillian
#3 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 AM

We started out USing and realized it wasn't a good fit for our kids. Now Luke is 10 and we do a few subjects a day, but they vary. For example, he has a science textbook he likes so we've been working thru the systems of the body. He'll do 1/2 hour of it and then play and then do some computer work. He likes typing so he writes stories on the computer, stuf like that. We aren't strict about X amount of "school time" and it really varies from week to week. In fact, we are just getting back into actual sit down work after taking 2 weeks off.

Our four year old DD considers copying down words we dictate to her to be her "school work" and usually spend an hour spread over the day doing that.
#4 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 02:24 AM

I wanted to add that I LOVE LOVE LOVE these websites for school stuff:

Games, Quizzes (you can make your own quizzes, which I love and use alot)

A big clearinghouse of educational games

Tons of printables, especially fun for younger kids
#5 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 02:34 AM

we do phonics and math 5 days a week. all my other subjects are weaved into a unit study now, which i'm finding much easier personally. you can see my daily schedule at my blog. hope that helps

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#6 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 02:42 AM

i wanted to come back quickly and tell you that lapbooking rocks!! it is a great way to cover multiple subjects and it's fun, as well as age appropriate for multi levels. just fyi as you consider your options

#7 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info!

Eliza, I've had your blog bookmarked for a couple weeks already! : it's been really helpful!
What is lapbooking???

I do realize that I'm probably alot more excited about it, in fact I'm REALLY excited, than my daughters will be so slowly it down a bit and taking baby steps is something I've got to try to keep in mind!

There's so much I want to teach them, so many areas I can focus more on, so many subjects that are barely touched in PS... its quite exhilirating and overwhelming!
#8 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 04:37 AM

We are pretty eclectic but have a classical bend. That said, we really only parent-direct 3 basic subjects: language arts (which I realize can encompass a lot), math, and history. From there, it's much more child-led (both of my older two boys want to learn about reptiles, so we'll do a month-long unit on them probably once the holidays have passed as this month is already nearing it's second week). That said, I try to get to two of the above 3 subjects at leat 4 times a week. If the baby was older and/or if ds#2 was done with speech therapy (2x a week), we'd probably be able to actually do at least 2 of the 3 subjects every day. But, for now, we try ...

So, for language arts, we do a reading lesson from The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and a language lesson from Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind. For math, we'll do a couple pages from Singapore or do some pattern block puzzles or play with the unifix cubes or such. And for history, we are using History Oddessey (I never spell that correctly ), so we usually take a week to do one of the lessons. In all, we probably do at most 1 1/2 hours of focused, structured learning; some days it's probably closer to 1 hour. For dh and I, we like giving the boys (and really for now, it's mostly the 6 year old; sometimes the 4 year old will ask to do some "school" and sometimes he just listens when I'm reading out loud and otherwise plays during his older brother's lessons) a lot of free time to play, explore and just be a kid. But, we also want to have some structure in their day to establish a strong foundation in math, language arts, and history.

In terms of meeting various levels, there are many times ds#2 (4 yo) wants to do whatever project or activity ds#1 is doing for history. Honestly, I just modify it enough so that he can be successful while giving him the feeling of being "grown up" like his brother. For me, hs'ing multiple ages (even though mine are still young), I think it's important to find subjects (like history, science, art, etc) that can be taught together with simple age-appropriate modification, and keep separate on those things that really require it (reading, writing and math).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#9 of 12 Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 PM

More great info! Research is a never ending thing, isn't it?

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#10 of 12 Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 PM

We try and do Bible, LA and maths each day. I don't spend more then an hour on that unless we are doing something that can take awhile like Junior Monopoly for maths.
The second hour (Unless we have had enough for the day)I have open for craft or history. I make up the history units myself and that includes science, read alouds, craft etc. History is my favorite subject which is why I leave open an hour!
I try not to let school take any longer then 2 hours from 10 till 12.
#11 of 12 Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 PM

My oldest ds is 8. Here is an example of this week, what he had for yesterday and what he did today:

Thursday
Science- Week 25, Days 1 &2 (experiments)
Math- 3 pages
Magic Treehouse- Continue "Hour of the Olympics"
History- make a golden bracelet (has to do with Egypt, we use Story of the World for history)
Mango Languages- do German (online website, we're all learning German, it's fun for him, he loves that website)
Spectrum- do test prep. workbook with Mom (this year is the first year we either have to do an assessment or standardized test, so we picked the test and we'll do a mail order one and we're just practicing now so he's not surprised! we do maybe 15 minutes a day of it)

Friday
Language- Lessons 55 & 56 (we use First Language Lessons)
Math- Do section 19 test (We use Math U See)
Magic Treehouse- Finish Hour of the Olympics
History- Listen to/read part of Ch. 13
Mango Languages- German lessons online

So that's 5 or 6 set things per day. Wednesday has the most, with 7. But he can get all of this done in less than 3 hours. We'll start him with Cursive in the Spring. If it was too much for him, I'd be able to see it and we'd cut back. But all of the lessons/activities are fairly short and he enjoys it, so it works for us. There are no set times for anything. It's almost 4pm and he still has to do his history, language and German,lol. It's dh's day off, so he's been hanging out with him running errands. If he wants to finish it up this weekend, that's fine too. As long as it gets done. Sometimes I'll throw in some research thing for us to do, like research a famous artist and try to paint something like them. We all do this together. Sorry this was long,lol.

eta...my 4 y.o. does nothing structured, he will sometimes join in on activities or whatever. This is the most structured with older ds that we've been. We started a little around 5/6 and just added a bit more each year (this is yeare 3 of homeschooling.)

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#12 of 12 Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_SS View Post
Thank you for the info!

Eliza, I've had your blog bookmarked for a couple weeks already! : it's been really helpful!
What is lapbooking???

I do realize that I'm probably alot more excited about it, in fact I'm REALLY excited, than my daughters will be so slowly it down a bit and taking baby steps is something I've got to try to keep in mind!

There's so much I want to teach them, so many areas I can focus more on, so many subjects that are barely touched in PS... its quite exhilirating and overwhelming!
i'm so sorry i never responded to your question. i guess i missed coming back to this thread after i posted. did you find out about lapbooking yet? if not, i'll be glad to give you info....or you can start a new thread with that as your title. a lot of mamas here like lapbooking and notebooking & have lots of experience. froggurami has lot of great examples posted at her blog too.

my favorite site right now is www.homeschoolshare.com for this, and there yahoo group rocks!!!!..... but if you prefer a premade lapbbook that has everything you need, i like www.handsofachild.com (they have a freebie that changes every 3 months) and www.liveandlearnpress.com (if you join their yahoo group - you get access to several free ones). anyway - sorry this was such a delayed response!!!! hope this helps.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page