Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the fact he is so confidant in his decision to home-school

http://www.people.com/people/article...165775,00.html

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#2 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I love the quote from his wife--"We want our kids not to memorize but to learn!"
#3 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 08:55 AM

Gotta love Will Smith and Jada Pinkett!!
#4 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Thats so awesome. I didin`t even know that they homeschooled.
#5 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 03:20 PM

oh that is so cool. thanks for posting this!
#6 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 05:54 PM

Ok, but if you put a group of hsers together and teach them together, is it still homeschool? Or is it private school? : And does it matter?

"Having immersed himself in educational theories while home-schooling his kids, Will Smith says he and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, plan to put that knowledge to greater use by teaming with like-minded parents and creating a full school.

The institution could launch next year, Smith, 39, said Wednesday on Live with Regis & Kelly. He didn't offer details, but said the idea came out of his family's experience in grouping home-schooled children together.

"We started home-schooling our children probably six years ago," he said. "We found about eight or nine other parents that home-school, so we put them together. ... There's just very powerful educational concepts that we believe in, and we feel like 'I want to design the system that revolutionizes public education.' "
#7 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Ok, but if you put a group of hsers together and teach them together, is it still homeschool? Or is it private school? : And does it matter?
I was thinking the same thing.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#8 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:

"Having immersed himself in educational theories while home-schooling his kids, Will Smith says he and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, plan to put that knowledge to greater use by teaming with like-minded parents and creating a full school.

The institution could launch next year, Smith, 39, said Wednesday on Live with Regis & Kelly. He didn't offer details, but said the idea came out of his family's experience in grouping home-schooled children together.

"We started home-schooling our children probably six years ago," he said. "We found about eight or nine other parents that home-school, so we put them together. ... There's just very powerful educational concepts that we believe in, and we feel like 'I want to design the system that revolutionizes public education.' "
It sounds like they were being nice about the fact that they may be of the opinion that public school sucks. Just a guess.
#9 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 06:02 PM

Hmmm....well, they homeschool with a private tutor or three, from what I remember him saying a while back. And now he and a few other families are starting a school together....what happened with the homeschool idea? A small private school is not a homeschool.

Thing is...I'm not at all surprised that they homeschool and I'm like...kinda wondering if all the other homeschool families might not be Scientologists.... Hmmm.... :lala Tom Cruise homeschools his eldest children, too, in Scientology.
#10 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
It sounds like they were being nice about the fact that they may be of the opinion that public school sucks. Just a guess.
But why not say private school rather than homeschool? I htought they had a tutor help them-- but now it sounds like they are running a small school. Which is nice, but not hs. Does it matter? : I'd just call a tree a tree. But that's just me. The poet me.
#11 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 PM

I Will and Jada.
#12 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
But why not say private school rather than homeschool? I htought they had a tutor help them-- but now it sounds like they are running a small school. Which is nice, but not hs. Does it matter? : I'd just call a tree a tree. But that's just me. The poet me.
: Couldn't agree more really.. I know it's a bit of a bone of contention in hs circles.. but to me if you are hiring a 'qualified' teacher to do all the 'teaching' for you, then it's technically homeschooling but misses out on the spirit/intent of homeschooling which is the parents being responsible for helping their children learn?? Although it does at least sound like they homeschool with a philosophy behind it instead of just so that their kids can have privacy since their famous and stuff

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#13 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 08:40 PM

By school he could have meant co-op. There are many homeschoolers around here who meet weekly and teach each other's kids.
#14 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Regardless of whether it is "school" or "homeschool", I appreciate people speaking about educating children to their own, personally and intentionally defined ideals and philosophies. Maybe I am just feeling over-reactive to the "My child is so social"/ "But he LOVES school" comments, but I think it is awesome that parents are thinking of the larger picture for an education and aligning their ideals for their children.

It sounds to me that they are looking for an educational setting that will mirror their own ideals in learning. It sounds like already formed institutional, public or private, schools will not meet their desired goals for their children.

Honestly, the way they are homeschooling kinda sounds like some of the co-ops in our area: families coming together to educate their children by way of shared educational philosophies.
#15 of 51 Old 12-18-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine View Post
By school he could have meant co-op. There are many homeschoolers around here who meet weekly and teach each other's kids.
That must be it.
#16 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 AM

I have never liked him since he put pro spanking lyrics in a song about parenting his oldest son....I take his opinions on freedom in education with a very skeptical eye as a result.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#17 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 01:40 AM

Does he have other children? There was just a big thing in my town because Will and Jada Smith were in town because their son's school's football team was playing our school's football team. That was high school though. http://www.lompocrecord.com/articles...ast/news05.txt
#18 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's what I was thinking
#19 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
Does he have other children? There was just a big thing in my town because Will and Jada Smith were in town because their son's school's football team was playing our school's football team. That was high school though. http://www.lompocrecord.com/articles...ast/news05.txt
He has a son from a previous relationship.
#20 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 03:50 AM

It could be something with CA laws that play part in it being a "school" it also could be a way to help like minded people that can't fully commit to homeschooling their children.

As for the song "Just the Two of Us" yes it does mention spanking but it also mentions a lot more about teaching him about being a "man" and a father. He loves his children. Nobody is perfect. I don't agree with the spanking part but there is so much more postive about him.
#21 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Thanks for sharing!
#22 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Having immersed himself in educational theories while home-schooling his kids, Will Smith says he and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, plan to put that knowledge to greater use by teaming with like-minded parents and creating a full school.

bizarre. They are so encouraged and committed to homeschool that they are creating a school :
#23 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
bizarre. They are so encouraged and committed to homeschool that they are creating a school :
I hear ya' but well, I don't fault the man actually. Public school is so full of racism that I would love to see it reformed and if anyone can do it, he can and he just may be able to start something really good for students who go to public schools.
#24 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 PM

I'm curious to know more about what this school would be like. I've read that quote before about preparing their children for the technological age and not wanting them to memorize. I find myself wondering what kind of school would encompass all of their wishes for educating their children.

That aside, I do like seeing him talk about homeschooling. The more exposure the better - and how fantastic to have him spreading the word, helping normalize it, if you will.
#25 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
As for the song "Just the Two of Us" yes it does mention spanking but it also mentions a lot more about teaching him about being a "man" and a father. He loves his children. Nobody is perfect. I don't agree with the spanking part but there is so much more postive about him.
Promoting spanking is a deal breaker for me. He didn't slip up and spank his kid, he specifically put pro spanking lyrics in his song. How many other parents heard that song and felt tacit approval to "build a strong man" by making sure they hit their child? The fact that he did connect spanking to building a strong son makes it all the more disturbing. You cannot simultaneously promote hitting children and garner admiration for your views on freedom and creativity in childhood learning. I don't think spanking automatically makes you a horrible parent--but I do think it's incompatible with the values ascribed to him in this thread.

Now, maybe he changed his mind, maybe he regrets promoting violence in parenting, and that is very possible. A new wife, more maturity as a second time father--maybe he had a change of heart. But he hasn't said so, to my knowledge.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#26 of 51 Old 12-20-2007, 12:30 AM

One of my favorite quotes comes from Will Smith "Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like." ...it's so true!

I'm a huge Will and Jada fan (as actors, parents and people); but I'm not a fanatic. I had some help from IMDB for the details of my responses below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
...Does he have other children?...
Yes, he was married to Sheree Smith for three years; and they have one son -- Willard Smith III (better known as "Trey Smith"); born in 1992. Sheree has custody of Trey, so that would be why Trey is in the school system but his other children are not.

Will and Jada have two children; their daughter Willow and her older brother Jaden (who you may know as playing Will Smith's character's son in the movie "The Persuit of Happyness"...and boy do I ever love that film!)

You might also be interested to know that his mother was (is..?) a school board employee. I just thought I'd throw that in there for cool info purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebmom97 View Post
Thats so awesome. I didin`t even know that they homeschooled.
You know what else they do and promote openly? Breastfeeding. Jada breastfed each of her kids for almost two years! When she was pregnant with Willow, she did an interview with Fit Pregnancy magazine, and during the interview, she was asked how long she breastfed Jaden for. Her reply: "A good 18 months. That baby never even saw a bottle. He went everywhere with me — premieres, award shows. I would just find a back room and hook him up." I figured you might like that comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
I have never liked him since he put pro spanking lyrics in a song about parenting his oldest son....I take his opinions on freedom in education with a very skeptical eye as a result.
Given the rest of the great things he does for his kids and the way he lives his life (not swearing in his songs, for example) and models good behavior all around; I think it's frownable that you discount his promotions of 'homeschooling'. I think he's doing a good thing by raising awareness to the negatives of schools and taking charge of his kids education as an example. I don't think his choice to spank or not should hold any weight against that; as they're two separate issues.

They're really involved with their kids, and publicly put the kids (and eachother) first. I think it's commendable.

Also, I bet if someone gave him information on why not to spank and how to deal otherwise; he'd consider it in depth. When you know better, you do better. Maybe he and Jada will stumble upon MDC some day and learn another way.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#27 of 51 Old 12-20-2007, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Given the rest of the great things he does for his kids and the way he lives his life (not swearing in his songs, for example) and models good behavior all around; I think it's frownable that you discount his promotions of 'homeschooling'. I think he's doing a good thing by raising awareness to the negatives of schools and taking charge of his kids education as an example. I don't think his choice to spank or not should hold any weight against that; as they're two separate issues.
I would agree if we were talking about two totally different issues. It might be "frownable" to discount his acting ability based on his personal parenting beliefs.

However, both the spanking and his idea's on education concern children. I completely disagree that the spanking issue should be swept aside just because he promotes alternative education.

It isn't unusual for pro spanking and pro homeschooling sentiments to come from the same person. I would say that a significant percentage of homeschoolers are pro spanking. Will Smith has publicly advocated both practices--and so have many other homeschoolers.

I think people are willing to overlook this because he is a celebrity. If he were the author of a parenting book he would be heavily criticized here for his pro spanking sentiments, regardless of his pro homeschooling attitude. People would want to know *exactly* what he meant when he sang a song about hitting his son. He didn't write a book, but he has used a public platform to assert opinions on serious parenting issues, and is no less accountable for it than the author of a parenting book. Again--he didn't reveal a weak moment as a parent, but asserted his willingness to hit his child (in the song). Maybe it was just an expression he used because it sounded good in the song--if he wants to be taken seriously now, he needs to revisit the issue.

It's nice when celebrities normalize an alternative issue. Hopefully Will Smith will publicly take back what he said about hitting children. If he is truly an advocate of freedom in learning, that shouldn't be a stretch for him at all.

#28 of 51 Old 12-20-2007, 03:13 AM

I'd rather have a parent that swears than one that advocates hitting. As long as the swearing isn't name calling. I'm talking about general discriptive swearing.
#29 of 51 Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 AM

Back on topic...

Perhaps Will Smith was misquoted? The reporter could have written "full school" instead of "full-day co-op"...?

My husband is well-known in his field and interviewed a lot by various journals and newspapers. He gets misquoted at least 25% of the time.
#30 of 51 Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 AM

i live around charlotte and we have "full" schools for homeschoolers. they're pretty expensive imo and are kinda like a college campus. you go one or two days a week....choose your classes....they have sports you can sign up for, etc. maybe that's what he meant?? dunno. just a thought?

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page