The Last Straw - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 12-24-2007, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This story sounds like exactly what happened to my oldest in 1st grade. Every Friday his class had a cooking day where they all got to help make something, but because my son talked in class excessively on Wednesday, he wasn't allowed to participate in the cooking project two days later. We had a parent-teacher conference and dh and I asked the teacher what one had to do with the other and she had no answer.

It's a myth that hsing is a lot of work. If you're trying to do school at home it may be, but most homeschoolers I've met aren't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 97 Old 12-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicandboys View Post
It's a myth that hsing is a lot of work. If you're trying to do school at home it may be, but most homeschoolers I've met aren't.
The Sacrifice of Homeschooling

- Lillian

#93 of 97 Old 12-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Oh and just so everythings above board.... count on getting locked out of your house in your jammies just about the time the bus is dropping off. Didn't want you to say you weren't warned!!!! Quite possibly you'll be holding the geckos, with cookies in the oven, ds will be painting, and oh yeah, where are your keys anyway??? Did I mention you just applied a facial mask!!!! Big JK- you'll have a great big blast!!!! Oh, the learning just happens!!!
#94 of 97 Old 12-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
Thank you!!

The principal called me Friday morning and asked if I could come in and speak with him about taking Dakota out of class. He really gave me a hard time about homeschooling and said, "I've seen many parents bring their children back because of how difficult it is. I really hope you understand what a huge project you are taking on." I said, "Oh, I've done research too! I *know* it will be a challenge and I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to it.

My daughter got this exact line from her son's principal last Monday when she called him to tell him that Friday would be the last day her two children would be attending his school. I wonder if it's written in the principal's handbook or something. My grandkids got cheated out of their last day of school though. It was too foggy to have school on Friday. (I never heard of it being too foggy for school. Too snowy, yes, but too foggy?) Now she has to go back after the break to pick up their things.

I'm glad you did the right thing by your son.

Kathi (Happily unschooling five year old Dakota and grandma to two other homeschoolers.)

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#95 of 97 Old 12-26-2007, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mrs Cheerful: I wouldn't be surprised if that exact scenario played out. Of course, the neighbors (knowing me) would just shake their heads and laugh and say, "NOW what is that family up to!?"

On the last day of picking the boys up from the bus stop, dealing with the principals at both schools, and having lots of wind in my sail from the support I received from talking with my other neighbors, I told my closest neighbor. She said, "OMGOsh....are you CRAZY???" I said, "I'm homeschooling, not eating my Chihuahua for dinner." She still had *that* look on her face when I just laughed and walked inside with my kids.....hahaahahah I'm not even going to try to explain things to that woman!!

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#96 of 97 Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 AM

Coyote stars' posting sounds like great advice. I agree with pp's that the letter is too strongly worded and angry; it made me wince. When things are in writing, they sound even more negative, somehow, than when spoken in person. I think writing it was great catharsis for you and prepared you for the effective conversation (surprising that the teacher would spend so much time talking to you during a class party, with others listening), but it is probably unnecessary to send any version of it to the teacher at this point. It is nice to provide closure and to try to educate the school on their shortcomings, but most teachers do their best in a tough situation that won't turn around overnight. If the teacher calls you, you can give more detail about what wasn't working for you and what she might do differently.

I hope that your homeschooling year is great for both of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote star View Post
...But I would definately 1. say it in person, not in writing (not at first) 2. wait until the party was over for your son's sake and 3. use as controlled and detached body language and voice tone as possible. It is much easier to write off a hysterical parent than one who is articulate and in control of herself.

Afterward, I would write two letters to the principal. One detailing the mealworm incident. And a separate one briefly notifiying your son's unenrollment.

Anyway, I'm not trying to discount your anger. I'm just offering advice that is most likely to effect any change. Again, trust me, an angry letter sent just to me from a parent wasn't going anywhere but the garbage can. A calm conversation however, and a controlled letter copied and sent to my principal, however! Whew!
#97 of 97 Old 12-26-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
I told my closest neighbor. She said, "OMGOsh....are you CRAZY???" I said, "I'm homeschooling, not eating my Chihuahua for dinner."
Guess I'll have to make a mental note not to take a sip of coffee right before reading your posts! - Lillian

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page