science group ideas! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 12 year old wants to develop a science group and wants it to be mostly hands-on. Anyone know of resources to help me develop simple experiments and related material for a group of teens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbell View Post
My 12 year old wants to develop a science group and wants it to be mostly hands-on. Anyone know of resources to help me develop simple experiments and related material for a group of teens?
What I did was invite three other boys more or less my son's age to come regluarly, once a week, for science club. I had intended to present experiments each time, and have them make notes in journals. Go figure - I'm not even a schooly type, but sometimes this mental debris just jumps out of nowhere! Anyway, I dropped the journaling idea before I even started the club, thank heaven, and then quickly dropped the idea of me being the one to do the presentations. I just asked each family to bring an experiment once a week, with all the supplies for sharing it with the others - it worked fabulously well, and there was only one time when two boys brought pretty much the same experiment, which was no big deal at all. They had a wonderful, wonderful time! We moms just stayed out of it, except for driving them around to pick up supplies, and then helping distribute and set up supplies at the club. It was all theirs - and that was an empowering experience for them to just stay out of their way and watch them share all they were learning.

Lots of great resources are readily available in the juvenile non-fiction section of libraries, in bookstores, and online. There are new ones popping up all the time - and some of the really, really old ones still have the more dangerous bang/whiz stuff that boys love :. In fact, I just saw a show somewhere about this... Hm... FOUND IT - HERE IT IS: In search of old-fashioned chemistry experience. There are some scientists who maintain that the lack of enthusiasm today for science study and careers is actually related to the dulled down experiments that are avaiable today! I thought this was fascinating! [On a side note, here's a fun TED talk called 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Kids Do]

There are some good pages of ideas online too:
Kids' Science Projects

And if you peruse my science page, you'll find some interesting stuff.

#3 of 3 Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
www.stevespanglerscience.com has free experiments

about.com has a chemistry e-mail list,there's some cool stuff in it.

google science experiments,that'll keep you busy!

www.mathnite.com has some neat stuff on their site,topology,topography etc

googlr The Golden Book of Chrmistry it's a torrent file but I figured out how to download and print it even with my tecnically challenged brain.

Let them read The Nuclear Boy Scout for an idea of WHAT not to try,lol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page