questions for you homeschoolers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a couple of questions for the homeschoolers. Please answer! It's important to me. I'm trying to convince DH to agree to let me pull our oldest out of middle school right now. TIA!

(1) If you can name one major reason for choosing to homeschool, what is it?

(2) What is one thing you dislike most about public (or private) school for your child/ren?

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#2 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Freedom.

(2) What is one thing you dislike most about public (or private) school for your child/ren?

This is harder. Either the one size fits education or the peer-centric social structure.
#3 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM

My dd's personality and educational needs. Flexibility is also important.

(2) What is one thing you dislike most about public (or private) school for your child/ren? We don't have a private school option in our area or we might look at them. In general I believe my dd learns better with individual attention. If she was in public school I think she would be unfairly labeled or fall through the cracks. I don't think her needs would be met there.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#4 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 PM

The freedom to follow an interest as long as you like, rather than having lessons chopped up into 50-minute bits.

See above. It's necessary, unfortunately, that schools decide when kids "need" to learn things like reading, multiplication, etc. They are all taught at the same time for the same amount of time, and then we move on. There is little room for passionate learning.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#5 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM

It allows us more freedom to travel and experience things. If we had continued with public school, we would not have seen Germany, Canada, most of the 50 states, Laura Ingalls' house, Niagara Falls, The Grand Canyon...

This quote:
Parents give up their rights when they drop the children off at public school." -Texas Federal District Judge Melinda Harmon

That sums it up very well for me. Excuse me if I get a bit ranty here, but to go more in depth, we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I don't like sitting in my son's kindergarten class and, during recess, hear another teacher keeping in a kindergartener during that time to scream at her to "JUST MAKE A 1!!! DO IT!!!" My children should not have to be subject to that abuse.

My children........key word there being MY. Why do I have a choice in pediatricians, coaches, tutors, etc., but for the most important time in MY child's life, I'm supposed to hand him over to the lottery system? No. Give me a choice - let ME interview teachers and write down who I want for my child. The school system is a public service. I should be able to choose who I want in my service.

I don't like picking up my child to find he has a swollen black eye, and the school decided that rather than call me at work would leave a message on my home phone that said, "B was hit by an older child in the bathroom today. But it's okay, he accepted the other boy's apology." Especially when the other child has a history of bullying younger students and they still let him out during the kindergarten play time.

I don't like them losing MY child, and then blaming it on him, when
1. they decided to do construction at the school and didn't tell the parents.
2. they chose a different door every day for the kids to go out of, and didn't tell the parents.
3. they turn a bunch of 5 and 6yos loose, knowing parents are waiting, trying to figure out where the kids are, and don't lead them to the door.
4. they lie, to the superintendent the next day about the construction and how it went.

I don't like fighting with the school every week because my child takes a cold lunch, but I get a bill for $10 for hot lunches. If they relied on a better system (small children, string of 6 numbers to remember instead of having it on CARDS like it should have been), this could have been avoided.

I didn't like the secretary treating parents like they were gum under her shoe, with a "whaddya want?" and surly voice.

I didn't like being told I needed to be more involved in my child's education and how the school loves volunteers, and when I attempted to volunteer in any capacity (I have library tech skills, I used to be a story teller, I was willing to help the teacher, be a lunch aide), what 'volunteer' really meant was 'give us more money'.

I didn't like seeing money wasted. After spending quite a bit on personal and classroom supplies, the first newsletter of the year announcing that every 5th grader would get a laptop to use infuriated me. If they have that much extra to get 90 laptops, after a nice computer lab was set up 2 years before, then they should be taking care of the school first. Allocate more for classroom supplies.

I could go on, but here at home we don't have to deal with any of that and I have a happier child who would rather not set foot in a public school again.
#6 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 12:18 PM

1. Freedom to let my daughter learn at her own pace, and pursue further her interests

2. The wasted time in B&M schools bothers me, especially when I had to supplement at home to keep her "caught up"
#7 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 12:18 PM

I love spending time with my son.

I worked in both private and public schools and teacher's lounges are gossipy and nasty when it comes to discussing the kids and their families during breaks and I couldn't be a part of that or ask my son to be a part of that kind of energy suck.
#8 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
I have a couple of questions for the homeschoolers. Please answer! It's important to me. I'm trying to convince DH to agree to let me pull our oldest out of middle school right now. TIA!

1. Knowing my child is being given opportunity to LEARN. (which is different than being force fed information they may not care about and won't retain). It's hard to choose only one reason but that;s my top one!

2. I dislike the structure. I think it's FAB that we live in a society where all children are entitled to education so this is not meant to be a bash against school but personally, I am sickened that our children are incarcerated all day in a super-structured environment where they are made to sit and ingest information (some of which is useless) then regurgitate that information on demand. Then, whether the child is interested and wants to learn more about it or not, the children are then told to stop thinking about *that* topic and start ingesting a new one. In whatever format the curriculum has decided to present it, no matter how each child will best learn it.

It bothers me to think that these kids are on a tight schedule and are told "you must be interested in math from 12:30-1:20!" and ask to go to the bathroom and not allowed to stand up and stretch. I cannot see, for the life of me, how that is a condusive environment for LEARNING anything (and again...I totally see why public schools have to operate that way, but Im speaking personally).

A thought:
Can you make a deal with DH? Finish out this year at home and see how your child(ren) responds to it. If it is not working out, re-enroll next year or the year after. School will still be there, no matter what.
#9 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 12:45 PM

1. So they don't miss out on (many, many hours of) life and we don't miss out on (many, many hours of) each other!

2. That traditional schooling encourages you to wait until after high school to start making of life what you will!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#10 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 04:20 PM

Besides being able to spend time with my children instead of carting them off somewhere else for the day? I would have to say it is an awesome experience watching them soak up information, apply it and then marvel at their finished products. Whether it is making a meal by trying new recipes or writing a new story and having peers judge it to be the best thing they've read. Or watching my two year old master a video game that I have a hard time with.

I dislike the fact that all children are taught the same way, the same thing at the same time. Clearly children learn things at their own pace, in different ways and enjoy learning about different things than their peers. The cookie cutter process needs to be changed if all children are to succeed. I just don't want to wait around for it to change in the meantime.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
#11 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 04:35 PM

I chose to start hsing because my kids were failing in the ps and being left behind. My son was finishing up grade 2, could barely do early 1st grade work and they refused to hold him back in grade 2 claiming it would hurt his self-esteem. at the time he was talking about suicide because he thought he was so stupid, he was only 7 for pete's sake. My DD was another issue, due to her conduct disorder she was a terror to her teachers,her kindy teacher ended up in the hospital with a back injury due to my dd(though as mama bear I say the teacher deserved it-she dragged my dd through the halls by her wrists at age 5), her grade 1 year wasn't much better, detention daily, 1 suspension, I swear the grade 2 teachers threw a party when they learned my kids would not be back.

I knew my kids needed to be taught differently, they needed time to work on their emotional/behavioural health, to find a love for themselves and what they do. BOth have high IQ's and tons of potential but due to their disabilities they weren't given the chance to reach them. DS tested an a 109IQ, classified as above average, testers feel it is actually a low number fo rhim because his processing speed is so slow, he got almost every timed puzzle right but not before the bell rang. He also has severe adhd and anxiety disorder. DD tested at 122IQ, classified as superior, tester felt that was actually a low score due to her untreated adhd she got distracted several times through teh test. SHe also has ADHD as I mentioned and conduct disorder. The public system does not work for them. WHile we follow a curriculum we do it at their pace which is working. And they are doing extremely well, their mental health issues are pretty much in check with my son having a few outstanding issues, but overall I have seen a 180 degree turn in their academic outcome.

I think I answered part of this above. I don't like that it was taught with teh average child in mind. My dd was bored out of her mind, she went into grade 1 knowing how to read at a grade 4ish level, thent he teacher made her go through sounding out alphabet soudns, and reading 1-2 word books. DD learned to manipulate by pretending she could not read and write and letting the teacher do it all for her, to my dd this gave her the challenge she was looking for.

DS was being pushed along with out really understanding what came before. THis was particularily problematic in math. In the schools it is taught in a spiral method and of course each new skill is based on assuming they know the previous one. HE takes longer to have things click into place so the pace in school was too fast. I spent each summer between grades getting him up to grade level but then that's where he would remain stuck. Due to his anxiety issues we also had health concerns over bathroom usage and eating, he didn't want to do those 2 things at school. School yard fights/bullying also posed a problem, my son was an easy target for bully's to a point. HE would bottle up his feelings about what they were doing to him and them fly into a blind rage at whomever was closest when he hit that breaking point. THIs meant alot of heartache for him because then he would be in trouble but not the bullies because he had not come forward about their behaviour as it happened.

I could go on and on. For us the public school system was terrible. This wasn't just a run of the mill neighborhood school either, I spent 6 months researching which schools wer available and drove 30 minutes each direction to take them to this school in a different city than we lived in to put them in what appeared to be the best school. And for average kids it really is, but if you children don't fit that mold it doesn't matter how good the school is, your children do not succeed in the manner they could if they were homeschooling.

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
#12 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Life without school was suiting my children just great prior to age 5, and we didn't want to give up what was working so well on a gamble that a school might be able to accommodate their asynchronous academic / social-emotional needs.

The way children it removes children from the richness of real life and community, placing them in an artificial pseudo-community made up mainly of age-peers and authority figures.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#13 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Freedom, time together, and more freedom.

Quote:
Forced curriculum/forced socializing/carefully cultivated and enforced submission to authority

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#14 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
subbing

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#15 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:

As a BTDT from public school to homeschooling (dsteen at 11), here is my input.

1) We chose to homeschool because we were loosing our son and his education was crumbly.

2) There is not much about the institutionalized form of eductation we do like. One of top reasons is the lack of respect my ds recieved, by peers and by adults.

I can't stick with one specific answer, there are far too many why we pulled our oldest and never looked back. We've since not sent our younger two and are a much happier family over all for it. For the record, we also don't do the "school at home" route either.

My reasons aren't the issue, what are the reasons you would pull your child/ren from school? That is what you need to focus on.

Reese

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#16 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
1. defnitely freedom and freedom like most, but I also began homeschooling because I felt we had a lack of family time while Trevor was in school. that was a big reason for me. I missed him!

2. I most disliked the uncontrolled influence of people/peers in Trevor's younger years. it's like he went off to school with a billion kids and just a couple adults who didn't always model good behaviour or help him mediate troublesome interactions. At least in these early years, I like to have a big influence on his manners, how he speaks to people. How he socializes, basically. Plus, I could see academics could potentially become a problem- after spending all day in school he was tired. Next year he would have more work, homework and more would be expected of him. It was so much pressure for such a young kid (he was 5 in K) to pay attention, sit still, follow rules all day long. Plus, Trevor is quiet around large groups of people. Even his teacher mentioned that he would rarely speak up if he didn't understand something. I was scared he would get left behind as teachers ended up moving ahead to keep up with testing. I wasn't so worried about academics in his K year, but I was worried about what would happen if we kept him in school.

As an aside, I also noticed Trevor's interests being put by the wayside while he was in full day K. He just didn't have time for his own interests.

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
#17 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 07:25 PM

I imagine that this is going to be a long post for me, but I'll be back later so I can really put some thought into it.

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#18 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
1) We have the freedom to be who we want to be, do what we want to do, and live our lives however is best for us.

2) Public school isn't compatible with my parenting philosophy. I want my children treated like people who have innate value, I want them to be respected. I want them to have the attention they deserve. And I don't want them shut away from real life.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#19 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb View Post

1. Individualized education
2. Teaching to memorize vs. teaching how to learn
#20 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:

(1) Family time.
Dh has a job that doesn't have 9-5 type hours, if the kids were in school they would almost never see him. At best they would see him for an hour or so in the morning and every three to four weeks or so on a weekend.

(2) What we didn't like was the "one-size-fits-all education" the girls could get at school.
Just because my daughter's age says she should be in grade four doesn't mean she's at grade four level in every subject.
Learning styles of individual children are impossible to meet in a class of 20+ children.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#21 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 11:36 PM

Well I started out with hs'ing because my son was sick constantly.. BUT I'd have to say the biggest reason for me is that he is too energetic to be expected to sit like a little robot for 6hours and be taught. He needs to be able to move around when he needs to, not at some arbitrary recess time.. At school he would have ended up labeled adhd for sure and I refuse to go there.

(2) What is one thing you dislike most about public (or private) school for your child/ren? The fact that he was constantly being told 'L sit down, L do this, L stop doing that' would be tops.. he felt like he couldn't do anything right! But a close second would be the lovely children he was in a classroom with all day... there was at least one small group of 3-4 boys who were very nasty whenever the mood struck them, and the teacher was helpless because the parents just shrugged when she spoke to them about it! If thats what happens in kindergarten these days.. I'll pass on the rest!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#22 of 37 Old 01-11-2008, 11:47 PM

1. being with my kids. it is so awesome growing together, watching them learn, seeing their interests develop. we will all have such stronger relationships due to the time we spend together. my children adore each other. i really value watching my 7 year old son teach my 3 year old daughter how to jump on one foot, seeing them snuggle on the couch as he reads a book to her, watching them walk out to the trampoline with their arms around each other. my day would not be filled with these moments if they were at school.

2. others dictating what my children hear, see, learn and experience for 8 hours a day.
#23 of 37 Old 01-12-2008, 12:00 AM

i love being with my kiddos

(2) What is one thing you dislike most about public (or private) school for your children?

they would be away from me for the length of a work day, and i'm a sahm. i chose not to work so i can be with them....so it seems so wrong. why shouldn't they stay home with me so i can teach them? i've done it their whole life and see no reason that this should suddenly change.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#24 of 37 Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 AM

I think that kids grow up too quickly. There is a magic in childhood that I believe needs to be preserved. To me, I would rather my 6yo be influenced by US...and not by a group of other 6yo boys. IMO, these early years are formative years. We don't want them to be 'formed' by the public school system or a group of peers...at least not yet

Their inability to provide adequately for the medical needs of my daughter. I am not a fan of the system in place in my school district for the handling of young children with diabetes. Until she can manage her own care, she is being homeschooled.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#25 of 37 Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 AM

There was no way a school was going to be able to provide everything our son needed. It's not that as if he had a lot of unusual needs, but a school is trying to meet the needs of over two dozen children all at once in each classroom. A school has to have structures that are simply not able to be flexible and appropriate for each child.

And each school has its own idea about what those structures should be like. I got sick of having to deal with teachers who felt they always knew what was best for our son, even when he wasn't at school. They were amazingly intrusive and controlling, although I think that had to do with them being private schools - I don't think public ones are as bad. On the other hand, the public ones often have much less appealing curricula and methods - especially now that No Child Left Behind and other policies are mucking things up. I looked at a number of schools, and none felt right. So I decided to start a little private school, and finally realized we could just homeschool. We always felt very fortunate to have found that option - homeschooling was absolutely wonderful.

Someone else in an earlier post responded only "Freedom!" and that's really what it's all about - I guess I could have just dittoed that!

This is our story - Homeschooling - It's a Wonderful Life! - and it begins with this:
"I dreamed of our family having freedom to make our own choices. I dreamed of evenings free of useless homework and agonizing study for senseless tests. I dreamed of being able to go out into the world together to see and learn from fascinating historical places and museums. I dreamed of being able to read what we wanted to read when we wanted to read it - late at night, in the morning snuggled under a quilt, or while traveling. I thought about providing opportunities for our son to learn comfortably and joyfully in his own style and at his own pace." - Lillian

#26 of 37 Old 01-12-2008, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
1. I think my kids can learn more and have more fun at home.
2. School is boring and actually teaches kids NOT to care or even think about whether they're actually learning anything - just about what the teacher wants them to do and what grade they got.
#27 of 37 Old 01-12-2008, 01:23 AM

1. strong family relationships

2. negative socialization and peer pressure
#28 of 37 Old 01-12-2008, 02:02 AM

School sucks-- I know, I went. I have many, many "major" reasons for choosing to homeschool, but it really all boils down to that.

The public schools are a shambles, and private schools foster an unhealthy sense of elitism and entitlement that doesn't serve children well later in life.

That said-- The fact that a brick and mortar school of any kind could never serve my son appropriately (well, I suppose it's possible, but extremely unlikely) isn't really the whole story. It's sort of like asking people why they want to give birth at home instead of in a hospital. It's not always about the inferiority of the hospital, but the fact that the home seems like a more reasonable place to give birth. Likewise, for many of us homeschooling is just a natural extension of attached parenting. I don't breastfeed my babies because I think artificial breastmilk sucks, I breastfeed them because babies are supposed to be nursed, and my boobs work. (I don't know if I'm making sense here, the TBP is in *full* swing these days. )

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#29 of 37 Old 01-12-2008, 02:12 AM

I want to keep our children close. I want to keep them kids. I want them to experience life.

I can't answer your other question as we decided to homeschool a long time before we "normally" would have sent her to a preschool or kindergarten. She hasn't been in a formal school environment and won't be until she's old enough to choose for herself. But if I had to venture a guess- it would be the other kid's influence on our kids.
#30 of 37 Old 01-12-2008, 02:18 AM

1. Freedom -- Dh works in retail. Different hours every single day and every single week. If she were at school, there would be days when she would never see him. Most importantly, she doesn't have the right kind of personality for school. I'm a former teacher and I know that she would be a thorn in a teacher's side and she would suffer because of it.

2. The schools around here are failing miserably. They all teach to the tests, there is no joy in learning anymore. Class sizes are growing, support for the teachers is waning. There are lots of good teachers, they just can't be good under the pressures that they are under. My dd has chosen to learn about things that she wouldn't have been even taught about yet, let alone let explore as long as she wanted (like Pompeii).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page