? about 5y olds - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD1 is a new 5, but I've been wondering these questions for a while. She has absolutely no interest in anything that would be considered school. I'm not a structured person so we haven't done anything formal, I lean towards USing anyway. I didn't want to post this is Childhood Years because many would of gone to pre-school, DD1 has had no exposure to that.

She doesn't recognize her own name, she gets it confused with DD2's if she sees them written out. She can count up to 12 and that's it, does not know any but a couple ABC's, she can write an M and that's about it, she still wants the very easy books to be read to her. If there is more then a few sentences on each page, then she gets impatient and turns the page, 1 paragraph is pushing it. Telling a story or anything similar holds no interest to her, it can't get her attention.Like I've said, I've never had any formal effort, but we'll count things while putting groceries away, count the stairs while going up them. We sing the ABC's in the car all the time. She'll draw a picture and I'll write her name on it, sometimes I'll ask if she wants to write her name, and she'll say "maybe when I'm 6". I'll point out signs with certain letters on them, etc... So we do "do things" while we go about our everyday life.

I'm starting to get some pressure from DH who has never been fond of HS (even before having DC I knew I would HS, so we've talked about it for years) to put her in kindergarten next year because he already sees it that HS isn't working. I know that many HSed children start off slower and then speed ahead, but I have to admit that it surprises me that she can't tell a M or a G apart when it comes to Madeline or Gabrielle (DD1 and DD's names).

So I'm curious if there are others out that have/had similar children. TIA

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#2 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have experience with this, but I do wonder if your DH truly thinks that she would do well in public school and, if so, why does he think that? If I child is not interested in learning, then most likely they will not learn whether they are homeschooled or public schooled. Sounds to me that she's just not ready for those things. Doesn't mean she's not smart or that she's behind where she should be. Just means she isn't ready yet. Nothing wrong with that. Even if she doesn't read until she's 8, it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with her. Personally, I think that putting her in school where these things will be pushed on her is more likely to cause her to dislike learning than to "fix" the so-called problem.
#3 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I don't have experience with this, but I do wonder if your DH truly thinks that she would do well in public school and, if so, why does he think that? If I child is not interested in learning, then most likely they will not learn whether they are homeschooled or public schooled. Sounds to me that she's just not ready for those things. Doesn't mean she's not smart or that she's behind where she should be. Just means she isn't ready yet. Nothing wrong with that. Even if she doesn't read until she's 8, it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with her. Personally, I think that putting her in school where these things will be pushed on her is more likely to cause her to dislike learning than to "fix" the so-called problem.
I think he is afraid that she is going to be so far "behind", and it doesn't help when he goes to client's houses that has DC the same age as her and they are counting to 100 or something, reading a few words and will sit still for chapter books. DH is highly intelligent and skipped two grades, but he knew how to beat the system,and never retained any of the info. I remember our first date, I was talking about a book I was reading about the civil war and he was like "what civil war, when was this?". : I see these as all things of how the public school system failed him, but he doesn't see it that way, he wants DD1 to be "normal" as he puts it. I know that DD1 isn't ready, and putting her in school is not the answer, she would not thrive at all.

It can be a lonely stance when he doesn't think she is thriving now, hence the reason I'm looking for others who have experienced something similar. Thank you for your thoughts.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 PM

By 5 my dd didn't show much interest but we are not unschoolers here, so after turning 5 I started to require her to do a little school with me each day.
I think there is a happy medium between some formal schedule and nothing at all. I also don't think it kills kids to be required to do a little of something.
So for school we covered ABCs, maths and read aloud. She knew one letter at 5, the first letter of her name S, so that's were I started. I printed out a large s and let her stick star stickers on it. Then we made the letter S character of DTLK alphabudies. We made an ABC book using stickers and cut outs from old encyclopedias. I had her write the letter in flour and sand on a tray. I tried to find a different thing for each day. Both dd and I like variety. I know if I tried something like Abeka or some other workbook based curriculum we would both go crazy!
Inbetween doing a letter of her name I just did general alphabet activities. Like one day we might play with ABC cards, another day we might do our ABC floor puzzle. Trying to make letters and numbers with her body was a hit. But she is visual and kinetic. I also offered workbooks and some times she would like that, but she isn't really a workbook type kid.
Before turning 6 last November she knew most of the alphabet and could write her name. Numbers she isn't so good on, she has a very hard time remembering which is which so we will be working more on that this year. She counts to 12 quite well and kind of counts to 20 but constantly skips 13, and mixes up 14 and 15.

After doing school with her for a couple of months she even started asking to do school. Now she is 6 I still make sure we do a game or activity for at least one subject then do a workbook page for the other subject. I try not to go longer then an hour on ABC's/reading practice and maths. Although sometimes things like junior Scrable and junior Monopoly can go on awhile lol. Sometimes we play it at night with daddy instead of doing it at 'school' time, she loves it when daddy has time to play. Playing with mum is fun but kids find it more special I think when dad plays if he doesn't normaly have the time to do it everyday you know. Your dh probably just wants to see you doing something, and once she has learned a few letters or numbers games are a great way to try and involve your dh. I bet your daughter will like it too.

With the books, dd is still on picture books and chooses pretty easy ones quite often. There is no way she would sit through a chapter book. Magic School bus is too long. The Ginger bread man and No Elephants are her favorite right now.

DD is much more the imaginative, creative type rather then the academic type, well for the moment she is anyway. She does creative things with pegs, makes worlds for her animals from all kinds of things and can talk under boiling oil. She isn't uninteligent although I know she is not doing first grade work. I often wish school here didn't start at 5, but it does and we have to live in this society which is why we do school.
#5 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 07:56 PM

My DD1 just turned 5 last month.
She started off pretty interested in following what her big brother was doing. (he is 6 and we are doing 1st grade with him). Buy the time she was three she knew all her letters. She also knew the sounds of all her letters and her numbers from 1-10. However that was all she wanted to learn. For a whole year after she did not want anything to do with school or learning. She would not stay still for any one to read a book to her. She did not care to learn to write any letters or numbers. She would play a game with me every now and then but for no longer than 5 minutes. I had no idea what she was going threw or if I needed to do anything about it. I just let her do whatever she wanted to do and sure enough 2 months before she turned 5 she asked to join her brother in making a lapbook about The human body.
Now she is back to learning and asking questions. She starting to read and is even getting pretty good at writing.
My advise is to wait on her, Keep playing games and pointing things out for her and when she is ready you'll be surprise at how quickly she will pick things up.
#6 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 08:37 PM

And you know, even if she started reading, there is still no guarantee that she would sit for a chapter book. Some people just do not care to read and there's no changing that.

lol You know how my daughter learned half her alphabet? Wheel of Fortune. I was pregnant and just had to crash in the evenings, so would watch WoF and Jeopardy and she'd watch with me. She learned half her letters in a week.
#7 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 11:36 PM

I have a 5.5 year old dd and a 4.5 year old dd, and they are like night and day. The older is reading, writing, adding, subtracting, even multiplying. The younger just doesn't have the same desire. Since they're both at home, I have a feeling hsing has nothing to do with it!
I do insist that the younger spend a few minutes each day practicing writing a few letters and numbers, but we mostly work "off paper", talking about science and social studies stuff, incorporating math, playing rhyming games. She's a very intelligent little girl, she's just not interested in writing or reading yet. I'm confident that, when she discovers how much more she can do, she'll meet the challenge.
#8 of 8 Old 01-12-2008, 01:22 PM

You could check out Leap Frog's Letter Factory dvd. It's a quick and dirty way to teach kids letter sounds that dd1 just loved.

I recently picked up Peggy Kaye's "Games for Learning" from the library and dd1 has really enjoyed the games (I've enjoyed them too, they're simple to implement and effective to boot).

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page