We're a bad influence! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heaven forbid our children learn to discern between good and evil......while having FUN:
#32 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 09:59 AM

A homeschooler I know once told me her church is warning about HP books because they have "real witch's spells" in them. I told her I don't believe those spells have any power, so the books aren't a threat to us. (My son was a reluctant reader until he found HP and quickly read the whole series. TG for J.K.R.!)

When I posted this conversation to another HS group, one mom responded that she's had trouble with the "real witch's spells" as well. "For years I've been trying the 'Silencio!' one on my kids," she wrote, "and it hasn't worked at all!"
#33 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikeYosemite View Post
When I posted this conversation to another HS group, one mom responded that she's had trouble with the "real witch's spells" as well. "For years I've been trying the 'Silencio!' one on my kids," she wrote, "and it hasn't worked at all!"

#34 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 10:38 AM

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#35 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 01:36 PM

:

Hi Mom4tot!
#36 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 02:04 PM

The Silencio spell doesn't work in my house, either.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#37 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 03:23 PM

but I think my kids have mastered muffliato...
#38 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermom View Post
The Silencio spell doesn't work in my house, either.
Mine either. We all must be saying it wrong

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#39 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb View Post
I've never understood why magic is good in some books (LOR, Narnia) and not in others (HP). I did find this http://www.onetruthministries.com/po...lord_rings.htm which attempts to explain it, but I really still don't get it. I guess it's because Harry didn't get corrupted by magic?
I just went to the link, but didn't take time to read the whole article. It seemed like the author was saying that Harry Potter is different because the wizard plays a central role in this series, not just a subordinate/helping role.

And yet -- it wasn't wizardry that defeated Tom Riddle: it was Harry's willingness to "lay down his life for his friends" (Biblical concept), the love that Riddle was too fragmented to understand.

To me, Harry Potter is a real embodiment of the Biblical concept that the first shall be last, and the last shall be first. Riddle, who seemed so powerful and crafty and cunning, was destroyed by the knowledge that he lacked, the knowledge that he'd scoffed at and never valued enough to learn: the knowledge of the power of love.

It was the gap in this knowledge that caused Riddle's first downfall, when he let Harry's mother give her life up for her son. And he seemingly forgot about this, and felt safe giving the killing curse to a Harry who had just willingly offered himself up (in the same way that his mother had).

I realize that we're going to see everything through the lenses of our own faith and beliefs: As a Christian, I read Harry Potter and feel surrounded by the imagery of Christlike love. Someone else may not see it this way.

I can respect any Christian who feels a need to steer clear of these books. But I hate to see anyone being ostracized for having a different view. Because of my concerns about being ostracized, I initially held off on getting the books and reading them to my oldest dd. Then I decided I just can't live my life in fear. Our girls also go trick-or-treating for Halloween, and I think we're about the only Christian family I know of who does this.

It hasn't caused us any rejections so far. But my oldest is now expressing a strong desire to branch out and make more friends (and her best friend is moving soon). Dd plays some with the neighborhood children, but of course their playtime is limited during the schoolyear. So now we're joining our local neighborhood homeschooling group (Christian), and I'm waiting to see how it all goes.

I'm sorry for what happened, Dharmama!

On a similar note, I recently discovered online that some conservative Christians are even dissing C.S. Lewis, and warning Christian parents against the Narnia books for their children!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#40 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 PM

I have been there. It sucks, huh?
#41 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseccup View Post
Mine either. We all must be saying it wrong
Accio works well at my house -- as long as I say it where one of the kids can hear me!! "Accio remote" is a favorite!!
#42 of 53 Old 01-19-2008, 12:27 AM

my dh has known SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many people like this. It is truely pathetic! We are evangalical christians, and we have no problem with HP.
#43 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 12:35 AM

Oh yeah- you might be a "bad influence" but I am a "devil woman"

Some crazy lady at our co-op hates me because she knows I"m not Christian (wants to change the group's by-laws because I am the only non Christian homeschooler in the county and she wants to rewrite it so I can't be a member.

Apparently her son had his first... um.... nocturnal emission. And he is infatuated with one of my daughters, so apparently I am raising a bunch of Jezebels (I've always loved that name)

I'm not supposed to know so when I see her she's icky-sweet and I mess with her head. when latest daughter was born, I told her God thinks I am doing a good job with Girls. she only has one son and i implied it's because God thought she should stop raising kids. I didn't blatantly say that, but I implied it (I forget which words I used) and she caught it and didn't say anything.

maybe i am horrible
#44 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 12:47 AM

oh my lord! :

if i ever have a daughter, i may name her jezebel.
#45 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoRayne View Post
Very Strange.

My SIL banned Harry Potter for her kids but let them watch the Lord of the Rings movies, I didn't understand that.

We met a homeschooling family who did the same. I just couldn't get it.
#46 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 AM

Oh man! I've just finished up teaching Harry Potter in a Banned Books class. That is unbelievable! Poor Harry gets such a bad rap....
#47 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoRayne View Post
My SIL banned Harry Potter for her kids but let them watch the Lord of the Rings movies, I didn't understand that.
I have to say that IMO, LOTR is higher quality literature and has more depth of meaning than HP (though I've only read a bit of HP), so I don't find them it an apples-to-apples comparison. But the whole movement against fantasy literature seems quite sad to me. I know someone who gave some of her children middle names from LOTR, but years later she has become much more conservative (thanks, in part, to the influence of a fundamentalist Christian HS support group) and is now anti-fantasy literature in general. Don't know what they will do about the names of their kids!

A friend of mine thought some of the later HP movies were too intense for her 8yo but let her watch Pirates of the Carribbean II, and really encouraged her kids to watch Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ reinacting Christ's torture (and even purchased the movie for repeated viewing). I don't think everyone's standards are consistent!
#48 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post

son had his first... um.... nocturnal emission.

:

And to blame your dd's for his emissions? UHHU, she's not very well educated in the realms of biology, now is she?

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#49 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseccup View Post
:

And to blame your dd's for his emissions? UHHU, she's not very well educated in the realms of biology, now is she?

She's also not very well educated in respecting her son's privacy. I can't imagine sharing such personal information about my child, and I feel so sorry for this woman's son. If her friends are passing on what she's been saying to you, maybe they're getting fed up with her, too (I know I would be!). If she does change the bylaws, why don't a bunch of you start your own group, and ban moms who publicize their sons' nocturnal emissions?!!

About Jezebel -- many people think of her as a seductress -- and maybe she was, I don't know -- but what she's infamous for in the Bible is her extreme cruelty. Her husband, the king, wanted someone's vineyard and was moping around because the guy wouldn't sell it to him. And Jezebel was like, "You're the king -- you can just take what you want!" And she had the man killed and took his vineyard and gave it to her husband.

I think the Bible's actually kinder to "scarlet" women than people make it out to be (i.e. Jesus with the woman caught in adultery) -- but self-righteous hypocritical people can get kind of nasty.

#50 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine thought some of the later HP movies were too intense for her 8yo but let her watch Pirates of the Carribbean II, and really encouraged her kids to watch Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ reinacting Christ's torture (and even purchased the movie for repeated viewing). I don't think everyone's standards are consistent!
Wow... I honestly cannot imagine encouraging my children to watch Passion of the Christ. I took my mom to see it, and it was beyond intense. I can see someone trying to justify the difference, saying that one was fiction and unnecessary, and the other part of Biblical history and therefore important to understand, but the footage from the Holocaust is important, too. I wouldn't scar the minds of my children with that, either. Seriously, there's a time and an age for everything.

On a lighter note, Accio is kind of hit and miss here. We sometimes have more luck with "use the force, Luke"....

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#51 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would just look at it this way: your families aren't a good match since you have different values. Better to find out now than later, after the kids started getting close.

In other words, you don't want Muggles like that for friends anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb View Post
I've never understood why magic is good in some books (LOR, Narnia) and not in others (HP). I did find this http://www.onetruthministries.com/po...lord_rings.htm which attempts to explain it, but I really still don't get it. I guess it's because Harry didn't get corrupted by magic?
It has to do with the kinds of magic- whether "the good guys" or "the bad guys" use magic, etc. In HP, magic is considered ethically neutral, which is a problem for those who see magic as a real, but negative, force in the world.

I'm not sure why Gandalf and Aslan's use of magic was acceptable- maybe because they're not truly human, and the human characters never had access to magic?

In any case, it seems like the vast majority of anti-HPers have never even read the books, but find LOTR and Narnia acceptable because the authors were known to be Christians. I don't even know what Rowling's personal religious beliefs are.

Quote:
"For years I've been trying the 'Silencio!' one on my kids," she wrote, "and it hasn't worked at all!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsps View Post
Accio works well at my house -- as long as I say it where one of the kids can hear me!! "Accio remote" is a favorite!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#52 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 11:43 PM

We read (and *love*) Harry Potter! I'm just waiting for my son to show off some advanced wand technique at our Christian homeschool's Enrichment classes.

We're having our second playdate with a family from that group tomorrow. When our kids played the other day, I *almost* brought up HP. But I decided against it. Maybe she won't judge us harshly!
#53 of 53 Old 01-21-2008, 10:03 AM

It's good to see all the Christians online who are cool with Harry Potter: I'm hoping that means we won't get dissed when we join our local homeschooling group.

I know I was surprised when dd's friend's mom said it was okay for her to watch Harry Potter movies with us. I hadn't even intended to bring it up -- and had just told dd that since many parents don't want their kids to know about Harry Potter, when her friends came over why not do other stuff (dd prefers playing over movies when her friends come anyway).

But dd got on the phone and directly asked the mom and she was like, "Sure, I trust your judgment; anything you're okay with your own kids watching is okay for my daughter to see."

Since this family's moving, I'm just hoping we can make some more friends like this -- I don't so much care if they don't want their kids to see/read Harry Potter, I can certainly respect that if their kids come over, it's not like there's nothing else to do. But I know some people don't even want to be in a home (or send their kids to a home) where there are books or movies they don't agree with.

I don't so much care on my own behalf -- I just know how much my daughter wants a wider circle of friends. Sometimes I've (probably illogically) worried that I've messed up her "acceptability" (among some Christians) by "exposing" her to Harry Potter. But he's sure given us hours of fun and creative play!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page