Singapore Vs Horizons.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are trying to decide between the two...

What would you recommend?

What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks
#2 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 AM

I chose Singapore, because I'm vehemently opposed to busywork. I like that it encourages practical application, rather than just rote memorization. I like that it can be done mostly orally if necessary (especially during the first 2-4 years) for children who are more advanced in math than they are in reading/writing.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#3 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 AM

Horizons is overtly Christian if that matters to you (at least the kindy level book I have is).
#4 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 AM

I am using Miquon and Singapore. I find between the two programs there is not a lot of busy work but the work requires the child to really think. Some days, like yesterday my son only had about 8 problems to do but I could see it involved a bit of blood, sweat and tears (not literally) on his part.
#5 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ulrike-actually I am glad that you mentioned more oral part. My DD is 3, has just about finished her PreK workbook from costco (she is a wb lover....I dont get it, but I want to meet HER needs...if it were me we would just play with manipulatives at her young age.) Anyway, this workbook has pages like count the tigers and write how many there are on the line. She can easily count the tigers, but cannot write on the line....It seems that she is more advanced in math and reading, but on target for writing. I mean I dont really expect my 3yo to do math and reading this soon, but she is of her own accord and the writing seems to just be normal 3yoish writing. So that is helpful.

Cassiopeia-I dont mind that Horizons is Christian.

So maybe a good idea would be to start the early bird Singapore Math...if it is not a good fit i could fall back on Horizons...just thinking out loud.

So what would I need to get started with Singapore? Is there a text and a wkbk..or what exactly?
#6 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 05:07 PM

For the Early Bird Singapore books, there's not separate text and work books. It's just Early Bird 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B. That can be confusing, because the next level after Early Bird 2B is 1A.

I bought both the text and the workbook for 1A and 1B, but after that, I've only bought the textbooks. I found there wer plenty of practice problems in the textbook for my kids. I still let my kids do anything orally that they are capable of doing in their heads.

Somewhere in the Early Bird books, it goes into the words for numbers. For those pages, I just printed out stickers with the number names for them to peel and stick in the proper places. I figured the point of the exercise was for them to recognize the words, not for them to practice writing the letters, which would have been frustrating for them.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#7 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 05:50 PM

I agree about the workbook/textbook. I was thinking about only getting the workbook for 1b.
#8 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks for all your help gals!
#9 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 PM

I have never seen the Horizons K book but in the 2nd and 3rd grade books I've never seen a single Christian reference. It's just a basic math program IMO. I'm not sure what the previous poster had in the K book.

As far as a comparison-they are very different.
In a nutshell, Singapore is more visual and concept driven while Horizons is more of a "typical" workbk type program though it is a bit fast paced IMO.

If you use Singapore and want the basic math facts learned (as in addition/multiplication tables) then you MAY need to supplement with something else.

I think the early bird Singapore program might be a good place to start for you since your child is so young.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#10 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
I think the early bird Singapore program might be a good place to start for you since your child is so young.

That is what I was thinking too....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page