Registering your child with the State???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone ever have problems registering their child with the state if your state requires it? When did you have to register them? How far before thier birthday (usually 6 right?) Did you send in all the paperwork? Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 04:18 PM

In MA you have to send a letter of intent to the superintendent for the fall when your child is 6 years old. I haven't had any problems - in fact, I never even heard back from them.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#3 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
In MA you have to send a letter of intent to the superintendent for the fall when your child is 6 years old. I haven't had any problems - in fact, I never even heard back from them.
but what if your child turns 6 in the middle of a school year?
#4 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 05:18 PM

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the child has to be 6 before a certain date. For example, in my town if the child turns 6 before Sept.1st, they would have to register. My daughter turned 6 on August 29th.

My son is an October baby, so I won't have to register him until the fall he will be turning 7 if that makes sense.

And I didn't turn in my letter of intent until the last week of August, BTW.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#5 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the child has to be 6 before a certain date.
That is how I understand it. If the child is the age to start public school, that is when the letter gets sent. I sent my DD's letter the week before the school year was to start. DS's letter went out the day I pulled him out of school. In the state where I live the law says we need to send our letter w/i 30 days of starting the homeschool. (Provided the child is of compulsory age.)

I had no problems at all with either notification.
#6 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
That is how I understand it. If the child is the age to start public school, that is when the letter gets sent. I sent my DD's letter the week before the school year was to start. DS's letter went out the day I pulled him out of school. In the state where I live the law says we need to send our letter w/i 30 days of starting the homeschool. (Provided the child is of compulsory age.)

I had no problems at all with either notification.
Yeah in WA state it is 8 yo, but I have had to register her for different reasons. It was only a slight pain in the butt, but I had to take it to the district office.
#7 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 PM

It's really hard to answer your question without knowing where you are. Regulations vary widely from state to state. There are some rules that are 'generally' true, but that doesn't really matter if your state happens to be one of the exceptions to that rule.

I'd suggest googling "X state" homeschool laws and see what you find.

FWIW, in MN we need to report to our local school district. Our law is somewhat ambiguous, and I wait until the next fall to report my child who turned 7 (the compulsory school age in MN) during the school year. It hasn't been a problem for me.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#8 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

i am in vermont.

can anyone help me find out the date the child has to be 6 by?
#9 of 9 Old 01-22-2008, 02:36 AM

This site is saying it's by the age of 7 in Vermont

I hope that this helps!

Homeschooling Mom to 4 boys: Connor, Aiden, Keegan and Tarik

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page