Do you keep grades? (Grades and Dipoma) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you keep grades of your children's work? I was thinking about doing this so I can give my children a homeschool diploma when they are older and have "graduated".

How do you do it?

What kind of sheet do you use to keep track?

Is it for your personal use or does your state require it?

How do you get a homeschool diploma?

Graduating and getting a diploma are years away for us as my children are only 6 and 9, but it's on my mind so I thought I'd ask. And if I'm going to keep grades, I should start NOW!

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do not give or keep grades at all. My state doesn't require it.

My kids will not be getting a diploma but rather a GED (their choice) and then they plan to attend community college.

I think some homeschool parents issue their own diploma though so it's possible.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 01-27-2008, 07:29 PM

We don't keep grades but we do keep track of progress, if that makes sense. When my son masters a new skill (cursive, multiplication, finishes a 'grade level' book) we make a certificate for it and file it in our notebook. At the end of the year, our daily sheets and certificates will be filed with pieces of work.

I don't keep grades because I don't believe in them. You either know the material or you don't - there's no halfway. If he doesn't understand completely, well, we keep going until he does.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't give grades either. I think maybe I put all A's on the stupid paperwork I sent into the district, but it doesn't really mean anything.

NYS has pretty specific requirements for HS at the high school level- if we decide to keep her home for high school, I'll do the appropriate paperwork at that time. It may or may not include a formal "distance learning program" with its own grading system. There's no reason to keep track of grades for work in "elementary" or even "middle school" years to make a diploma after graduation.

Our local homeschool group has been having an "End of no school picnic" every year, and last year somebody printed up nice certificates for all the kids for completing each grade. I don't know if they'll do that again this year because the mama who did that last year had her youngest child graduate from high school last year.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 PM

I don't grade my kids.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:04 PM

We don't "do" grades either, I think it's silly... grades are, for the most part, a means by which a teacher can keep track of the progress of 30-odd kids and communicate in a relatively meaningful way that progress to the kids' parents.

With homeschooling, you don't need that step. You can see for yourself how your kid is doing and don't need a number or a letter to figure it out.

Our new math program (Teaching Textbooks) does "grade" each lesson, and DS was very excited this morning when he got 100%. I think it's okay once in awhile, I guess -- in this case though it's for HIS benefit... and he's a bit older (almost 10) so understands more about how it all works.

Anyway, for purposes of a high school diploma... even for a fully public schooled kid, the fact is that to graduate high school, the marks that you got in elementary school are IRRELEVANT. As long as you passed grade 12, it doesn't matter how you did in grade 9, or 6, or 2. Universities usually only look at grade 12 marks and maybe grade 11.

So if you're thinking of doing grades for that purpose, there's still no need to do it YET. Just do something then.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 01-27-2008, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
As long as you passed grade 12, it doesn't matter how you did in grade 9, or 6, or 2. Universities usually only look at grade 12 marks and maybe grade 11.
I was told that colleges looked at grades 9, 10, 11, and 12. If anything, grades 9-11 counted more because college admissions decisions were often made before grade 12 was completed.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 01-27-2008, 09:12 PM

We don't do grades. I do keep work samples and photos for future reference. I don't know what we'll do for high school age but I still won't be inclined to grade anything.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:47 PM

We are doing preschool this year and While Im not keeping "grades" Im keep track of everything that is being taught (colours, opposites, etc) I have a book that I bought from the Dollar Tree
Old 01-27-2008, 09:58 PM

Never.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input, mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I was told that colleges looked at grades 9, 10, 11, and 12. If anything, grades 9-11 counted more because college admissions decisions were often made before grade 12 was completed.
This is what I was told as well.

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
Old 01-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I've heard of colleges that wanted to see grades for all the high school years, and colleges that didn't care about any at all from the homeschool. But at the panel discussion of college admission directors that our state homeschool organization put on at a conference, they all were emphatic that they want to see at least some grades from someone outside of the home - so some community classes later are a good idea. And the bottom line is to always check directly well in advance with whatever colleges they may be interested in to see what they want. Lillian
Old 01-28-2008, 12:29 AM

i do keep a progress report, as i need it for my state. i wasn't told what it should look like or include, so to keep it simple - it's broken into 4 quarters and resembles an elementary progress report. each quarter i fill it out for my records. i don't have grades, but i do put e, s or ni, meaning excellent - satisfactory - or needs improvement....i wasn't sure what to do so i kinda looked at my own kindergarten report card for ideas from 1976 my dd has never seen or heard of a progress report though....it's purely for my records & it's really simple, ....it has a place for comments if needed, as well as quarterly attendance. anyway.....

if you pm me with your email address...i'll send you what i use if wanted

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM

I don't give my kids grades and our state doesn't require anything like that.

If any of my kids wants a diploma, I can give them one, or they can sit for the GED. The oldest two have no interest in the piece of paper so far.

(As for college admissions, we're basically doing what Lillian describes.)

Why do you think you'd have to keep track of a 6 and 9 yr olds' grades in order to issue a high school diploma? (Or were you joking? )

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 AM

That's what I was going to say too. When my kids get older I plan to have them do some community classes/jr. college classes. This will give them some type of transcript to get into a university if they choose that path and prove they are up to doing that level of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

I've heard of colleges that wanted to see grades for all the high school years, and colleges that didn't care about any at all from the homeschool. But at the panel discussion of college admission directors that our state homeschool organization put on at a conference, they all were emphatic that they want to see at least some grades from someone outside of the home - so some community classes later are a good idea. And the bottom line is to always check directly well in advance with whatever colleges they may be interested in to see what they want. Lillian

User Tag List