Ideas for teaching spanish - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of running a spanish class in my home (to make a little money) for hsers . What is a fair price to ask? I'm thinking $10 per kid, $3 for additional family members. Then say it's like 8 weeks?
I'm also not sure what the best way to do it is because there will be a variety of ages. I'm thinking a song, a story, some vocab (alphabet, numbers, colors) and a snack each time.
Is there any curricula out there for spanish that would lend itself to group learning (and be engaging)?
Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-28-2008, 04:59 PM

gosh, I wish someone would do that here!
#3 of 13 Old 01-28-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

That's what everyone says!
#4 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

bump
#5 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM

I think 10 per class is a bit expensive, but 10 for 8 classes is a bit giving it away. How long are your classes?

If I was going to pay someone for a language class I would hope that there was a lot of prompting for the children to speak instead of it being completely passive on their part.

Maybe you could have the kids memorize one song over the course of the 8 weeks as part of your curriculum. By the end of the course you could have a "recital" type thing where the kids sing for their parents.
#6 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

The recital idea is great!
And the price, that's the hard part. I googled some of the hs co-op prices, and they look like $60 for 8 weeks. (7.5 a class) and a discount for families. (i'd have a lot of discounted families). How does that sound?
#7 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One thing that I look for is that the class is done almost entirely in Spanish.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#8 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 03:58 PM

I think immersion is key. In classes that my dd has taken, the teacher talks almost completely in Espanol and points to things that she means instead of doing vocab. Immersion is key. Have you heard of TPR? Total Physical Response I think? It's a great way to teach- you use physical actions and body movements in conjunction with the language. You can probably google it for a better definition LOL

I would pay up to $8/class for one or $10 for 2 kids. It depends on where you live, though. I live in the midwest and that is the going rate for parks department/co-op classes, so that's what the competition would be.
#9 of 13 Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

I can definitely do immersion. Thanks for all the input!
#10 of 13 Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reference to TPR. That is how I was taught, and that is EXACTLY how I would feel most comfy teaching!
#11 of 13 Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dds started a Greek class today and it was so much fun. Ours is free but i would totally be wiling to pay for it.

How much I paid for it would depend on what you expected of me (could I leave or would I have to stay), was it going to go beyond 8 weeks, what your curriculum plan looks like and do you stick to it, were they actually learning anything, do you have a lot of distraction while you are teaching (like younger children) etc

if it is drop off class I would be willing to pay at least what I would pay a sitter per hour. I would be willing to pay more if it was going to be ongoning (lets face it they aren't going to learn much if it stops after 8 weeks so it would be more of a fun little introduction than a real class) that if it was just a little 8 week thing.

So here were the highlights from the day. The class moved fast but repeated a lot. she started out with the basics that Rosetta stone was just not teaching us. Like "Hello, how are you, my name is . . . " and the alphabet and writing (not so important to me with Spanish since it basically uses the same letters as English but if you are going to read and write Greek you just have to learn and practice). It was total immersion from the moment we walked into her house. She hardly spoke any English and only when she really needed to get her point across or if she could tell everyone was totally lost. It included some songs, lots of repetition, question answer (she would say "how are you" or "my name is *** what is your name" and they would answer, and then they would ask her the questions and she would answer), some writing, a snack and some play time (you can't get three five year olds together without some play time). It lasted around an hour and half (before playtime). We plan on doing it every week. And there is already talk of some sort of program for Greek Independance Day. This is also not their only Greek instruction or exposure. I would totally be willing to pay for this I think $30 a month would be reasonable.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 13 Old 01-30-2008, 11:46 PM

Well, in these parts that price is a total steal! Classes here are over a hundred dollars a month.

One thing I think would be nice is a newletter home with phrases in Espanol that the family can share--a kind of vocabulary list... and perhaps some books/materials that the kids can borrow to use at home and return the next class...

I think this is an awesome service and you should be very successful!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#13 of 13 Old 02-02-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
My dds started a Greek class today and it was so much fun. Ours is free but i would totally be wiling to pay for it.

How much I paid for it would depend on what you expected of me (could I leave or would I have to stay), was it going to go beyond 8 weeks, what your curriculum plan looks like and do you stick to it, were they actually learning anything, do you have a lot of distraction while you are teaching (like younger children) etc

if it is drop off class I would be willing to pay at least what I would pay a sitter per hour. I would be willing to pay more if it was going to be ongoning (lets face it they aren't going to learn much if it stops after 8 weeks so it would be more of a fun little introduction than a real class) that if it was just a little 8 week thing.

So here were the highlights from the day. The class moved fast but repeated a lot. she started out with the basics that Rosetta stone was just not teaching us. Like "Hello, how are you, my name is . . . " and the alphabet and writing (not so important to me with Spanish since it basically uses the same letters as English but if you are going to read and write Greek you just have to learn and practice). It was total immersion from the moment we walked into her house. She hardly spoke any English and only when she really needed to get her point across or if she could tell everyone was totally lost. It included some songs, lots of repetition, question answer (she would say "how are you" or "my name is *** what is your name" and they would answer, and then they would ask her the questions and she would answer), some writing, a snack and some play time (you can't get three five year olds together without some play time). It lasted around an hour and half (before playtime). We plan on doing it every week. And there is already talk of some sort of program for Greek Independance Day. This is also not their only Greek instruction or exposure. I would totally be willing to pay for this I think $30 a month would be reasonable.
Thank you!
What a great insight to your class!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page