when is European American Month? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 01:16 PM
 
Mom4tot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pemberley
Posts: 15,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have removed a few posts from this thread. Please remember the following part of our UA:

Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.


Thank you.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Mom4tot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
 
boingo82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A new-to-us house!!
Posts: 9,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslyn View Post
No..Sorry..The white Americans today DID NOT do this, European American ancestors did this..and not every white American in this country today has roots to THOSE people..Some of us (my DH & I and our entire families) came from other countries well after the civil war..Neither of our families were involved in that tragedy at all
Essentially, by being white you are the recipient of stolen property. You can't place the weight of righting things on the people whose stuff was stolen. The current possessors (many of which aren't even related to the theives) nonetheless have the responsibility of correcting the wrongs. Whites have the stolen goods, whites are collectively in the position of power, and whites are going to have to be the ones to give back (as best we can) what was taken.
boingo82 is offline  
Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
 
htcamommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: south louisiana
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
That seems pretty out there. But even if it is true, the problem is NOT Black History Month. The problem is the school and how they choose to observe it.
No I agree it was a school problem as well & there were alot of other "reverse" racism issues that went along with that school. I do however assure you that not only did it happen it continues still to this day. This was not by far our only reason or the mose determining one to pull our dd's but it was one.

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
htcamommy is offline  
Old 02-15-2008, 04:47 PM
 
Missy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: virginia
Posts: 4,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try to look at it like this:

Racism--bigotry towards people of color--is PROACTIVE.

Bigotry directed towards white folk is REACTIVE, and is not supported by systemic structure.

It comes from different places. In order to fight either, you have to understand the origin.
Missy is offline  
Old 02-15-2008, 05:05 PM
 
zeldamomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
Essentially, by being white you are the recipient of stolen property. You can't place the weight of righting things on the people whose stuff was stolen. The current possessors (many of which aren't even related to the theives) nonetheless have the responsibility of correcting the wrongs. Whites have the stolen goods, whites are collectively in the position of power, and whites are going to have to be the ones to give back (as best we can) what was taken.
What a clear way to explain this. Well done.

ZM
zeldamomma is offline  
Old 02-15-2008, 05:14 PM
 
Sparks*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenote View Post
Violence is something that is indiscriminate. It happens. It happens all the time. Is it right? Is it fair? No, absolutely not. I don't think we even need to debate why violence is a terrible thing.

But that is a very different discussion than recognizing the systemized violence and prejudice directed towards one group of people merely based upon their skin color.

I would really really suggest that all of you moms who are bothered that there is an African American History Month educate yourselves about AA history and the history of institutionalized racism in this country. I would also strongly encourage you to look at the privileges you enjoy just because of your skin color.

I would direct you to this article:

http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~mcisaac...Unpacking.html

Particularly as a homeschooling mom, I feel it is my responsibility to continue my own education in all areas. What a great opportunity to use the resources available during African American History Month to learn with my child.

I was going to post this exact same response! same article and everything! thanks for beating me to the punch
Sparks* is offline  
Old 02-15-2008, 08:22 PM
 
rootzdawta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Squarely Outside of the Box
Posts: 3,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post

However, try to look at it like this:

Racism--bigotry towards people of color--is PROACTIVE.

Bigotry directed towards white folk is REACTIVE, and is not supported by systemic structure.
Very well said.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
rootzdawta is offline  
Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 PM
 
~Megan~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if there is one but you could pick a month to study different cultures. Chinese New Year would be great for studying Chinese history. May for Cinco de Maya would be great for studying Mexican history.

I think the important, IMO, reason we have Black History Month is that the contributions of black Americans were so long ignored in this country.

I'd love, love, love to see a Native American history month too. I think kids get the wrong story in most schools.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
~Megan~ is offline  
Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 PM
 
heket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ruling my own Library
Posts: 2,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
I'd love, love, love to see a Native American history month too. I think kids get the wrong story in most schools.
There is one. According to this site it's in November (I believe it's all of November and not like Hispanic American month which is half of September and half of October.)
heket is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Dar
 
Dar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 11,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to all of you who have shared valuable information. I have removed some posted that violate the User Agreement:
Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
Quote:
We do not tolerate any type of discrimination in the discussions, including but not limited to racism, heterosexism, classism, religious bigotry, or discrimination toward the disabled.
I hope we can keep this thread on the boards and continue to have a respectful discussion...

Dar

 
fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif


  

Dar is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 03:06 AM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 42,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslyn View Post
No..Sorry..The white Americans today DID NOT do this, European American ancestors did this..and not every white American in this country today has roots to THOSE people..Some of us (my DH & I and our entire families) came from other countries well after the civil war..Neither of our families were involved in that tragedy at all..Id venture to say that her husbands probably did not either because the imagrants during the 20s-40s came here for work and settled in places like Cleveland (where Im from) and Detroit (where my husband is from) because they were industrial areas. So assuming that his family didnt have anything to do with that either who do we blame? The whole race because of what a group of individuals did? OR lay blame where it actualy belongs on the people that did it and the administrators for looking the other way?
Our Ohio lands were taken.

Part of the issue is that details are not really taught. Many areas in Ohio have names from the language of my tribe but we haven't been there in over two centuries. Their time in the Great Lakes region is a history of great sorrow and loss for many tribes.

Land was also taken in Michigan. It is the same story all over the country.

Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 03:28 AM
 
aslyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok for the last time...none of my posts were meant to discredit anyone..I dont have a problem with any culture or how its celebrated..i do however have a problem with people (not as in a RACE, as in the person themselves) for not taking responsibility for their own actions..as I stated before I dont blame the entire black population for the attack and abuse I suffered..I blame the people who did it and the administrators at the school for turning a blind eye..

My point was that each person living in todays world where more opportunites are availiable then ever before..needs to take a proactive stance to stop the violence on ALL sides..poverty, hunger,homelessness are not a "black" problem they are everyones problem..As individuals we all need to take advantage of opportunities availed to us to help make the world a better place..

I will not concede and say its OK for ANY person black,white, purple,or green to commit violent acts against another person because they are different..NOTHING gives anyone the right to do that..i dont care who you are or where your from..by advocating that thought process the cycle will continue and we will never be a unified people.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
aslyn is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 03:48 AM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 42,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslyn View Post
ok for the last time...none of my posts were meant to discredit anyone..I dont have a problem with any culture or how its celebrated..i do however have a problem with people (not as in a RACE, as in the person themselves) for not taking responsibility for their own actions..as I stated before I dont blame the entire black population for the attack and abuse I suffered..I blame the people who did it and the administrators at the school for turning a blind eye..

My point was that each person living in todays world where more opportunites are availiable then ever before..needs to take a proactive stance to stop the violence on ALL sides..poverty, hunger,homelessness are not a "black" problem they are everyones problem..As individuals we all need to take advantage of opportunities availed to us to help make the world a better place..

I will not concede and say its OK for ANY person black,white, purple,or green to commit violent acts against another person because they are different..NOTHING gives anyone the right to do that..i dont care who you are or where your from..by advocating that thought process the cycle will continue and we will never be a unified people.

I don't think anyone was excusing violence or asking you to concede that violence is ok.


With all honesty we will never be a unified people until our differences can be acknowledged without flinching, celebrated without blindness and history is actually the truth.

History is not the truth and that is why Black History month must be celebrated. If we have one or two months of the year in which we face the demons of this country and acknowledge that truth then that is one tiny step closer.

Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 04:11 AM
 
honolula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
This is what I'm getting here...a lot of people don't seem to grasp that, when you talk about Columbus, when you talk about the arrival of the Mayflower, about Jamestown, about the original 13 colonies and the writing of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, about the Revolutionary War and George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, etc...etc...--THAT is European American History. When you read Hemingway and Faulkner and all the Great White Men that we studied in English--that, too, is on some level European American History. When you study Civics, and every. damn. presidential. campaign before this one--THAT is European American History. Our transgressions? That's the only time we're isolated out by our ethnicity, and so too often that's the only time we think about it. And sadly, the reason we're identified by our ethnicity then, is because we chose to persecute--and massacre--others because of theirs.

...

I think that discomfort is making people put their own special little twist on what is really being taught.
honolula is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 10:52 AM
 
boingo82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A new-to-us house!!
Posts: 9,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslyn View Post
ok for the last time...none of my posts were meant to discredit anyone..I dont have a problem with any culture or how its celebrated..i do however have a problem with people (not as in a RACE, as in the person themselves) for not taking responsibility for their own actions..as I stated before I dont blame the entire black population for the attack and abuse I suffered..I blame the people who did it and the administrators at the school for turning a blind eye..

My point was that each person living in todays world where more opportunites are availiable then ever before..needs to take a proactive stance to stop the violence on ALL sides..poverty, hunger,homelessness are not a "black" problem they are everyones problem..As individuals we all need to take advantage of opportunities availed to us to help make the world a better place..

I will not concede and say its OK for ANY person black,white, purple,or green to commit violent acts against another person because they are different..NOTHING gives anyone the right to do that..i dont care who you are or where your from..by advocating that thought process the cycle will continue and we will never be a unified people.
Nobody, and I mean nobody, is excusing violence here. We are saying that there is heaps of privilege that goes along with being a white person in the US today, and one of those privileges is that as a white person you can choose to ignore it at your convenience.

Before anything can change white people MUST acknowledge the ways they are treated differently thanks to skin color.
boingo82 is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 10:57 AM
 
AprilDaisy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Oh, and AA history did not start with slavery and end with the Civil Right movement.
I recently saw the movie "Amazing Grace" and it showed slavery in England. It opened my eyes to realize we weren't the only country to do this. And it didn't end by a war, but by passing a law in parliment. William Wilberforce did it. A white man.

I think history should be taught based on looking deeper than the text books. Into actual family histories and then told from there, etc. in each class room.

I was doing my own family history checks awhile back. It turns out Canadians kicked alot of us out, on purpose, lol. And also some of us (the beginnings of my family tree here in Louisiana) came on our own. That's not taught in history books.
AprilDaisy is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 03:50 PM
 
Cenote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bubble on the Coast
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I don't think anyone was excusing violence or asking you to concede that violence is ok.


With all honesty we will never be a unified people until our differences can be acknowledged without flinching, celebrated without blindness and history is actually the truth.

History is not the truth and that is why Black History month must be celebrated. If we have one or two months of the year in which we face the demons of this country and acknowledge that truth then that is one tiny step closer.
:

The same goes for Native American History Month, et cetera.

So well said!
Cenote is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 10:02 PM
 
muttix2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
So while I feel your pain, the pain of an entire oppressed race runs deeper than that. And it would be really great if we could get though ONE Black History Month without white people whining about when they are going to get theirs.
Exactly. Every year I hear the same complaints about Black History Month as it is so "unfair" to take a month to learn about Black history.

There needs to be a Black history month because that is the only time of year that it is taught. Even then, it is pathetic. I once asked a teacher why they stuck to just MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, and Harriet Tubman, I asked if they could even throw in Malcolm X, and she replied that Malcolm X was "too angry" for school. The memory of that and many other months of so-called "black history" where I learned the exact same details about the exact same people plays a big part of my decision to homeschool. There were more than three or four important black people in history and that fact gets ignored in schools.

As the pp stated, there is no "European American History Month" because that is what is taught EVERY month. If you flip through any textbook, you will see that most peoples mentioned are white. Slavery is glossed over with plenty of words like "tragic" and "never again" and "always remembered" thrown in. Any other contribution by black people is flat out ignored.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
muttix2 is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 12:11 AM
 
moondiapers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lakeport, California
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
I'm very sorry that happened to you, and of course all races can be racist. I also went to a mostly black school where I was the minority. I know what it's like to be made fun of for being white. No, I was never the victim of violence, but I do know what it's like to be discriminated against because of my skin color. I also know what it's like to have a lot of friends of color and talking to them over them over the years clued me in to what's really behind the aggression. Pain, suffering, feeling less than, feeling disrespected, seeing their parents and grandparents humiliated, hearing stories of how still living members of their family were not allowed to eat in the same places as white people.

So while I feel your pain, the pain of an entire oppressed race runs deeper than that. And it would be really great if we could get though ONE Black History Month without white people whining about when they are going to get theirs.

I experienced this as well, but only for a couple of years. Then we moved to a more rural area.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
moondiapers is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 AM
 
moondiapers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lakeport, California
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttix2 View Post
Exactly. Every year I hear the same complaints about Black History Month as it is so "unfair" to take a month to learn about Black history.

There needs to be a Black history month because that is the only time of year that it is taught. Even then, it is pathetic. I once asked a teacher why they stuck to just MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, and Harriet Tubman, I asked if they could even throw in Malcolm X, and she replied that Malcolm X was "too angry" for school. The memory of that and many other months of so-called "black history" where I learned the exact same details about the exact same people plays a big part of my decision to homeschool. There were more than three or four important black people in history and that fact gets ignored in schools.

As the pp stated, there is no "European American History Month" because that is what is taught EVERY month. If you flip through any textbook, you will see that most peoples mentioned are white. Slavery is glossed over with plenty of words like "tragic" and "never again" and "always remembered" thrown in. Any other contribution by black people is flat out ignored.
FWIW this wasn't true in any of the 12 schools I attended as a child in Oregon and California.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
moondiapers is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 AM
 
purplegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: down by the river.....
Posts: 4,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
i'm sorry, but i have a very hard time believing this. you're saying that your kids school had a black history celebration which the white children were not allowed to participate in? really?
Yeah that

afro.jpg
purplegirl is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 01:10 PM
 
lakesuperiormom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: in a wealth of opinions
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've been reading and keeping up with the posts on this thread and it's really hit a place in me and i wanted to come and post some thoughts i am having. i think, when 'black history month' is celebrated in our society it bother's alot of us-not because we are acknowledging "black history," but because it feels like a "skin color" celebration. it "feels" like we're "singling" out people "because" of their skin color-not learning about the ACTUAL history of "african american's." does that make sense at all to anyone besides me? it blatantly points out that something is seriously wrong with a society that "has" to have these months pegged to celebrate the various cultures and it's NOT intertwined within a chronological history of our world. so instead, of attacking on the issue......is there a way to "educate" those of us on how and whom to incorporate into our homeschool history lessons? for instance, i found this link on this man i had never heard or learned about before http://afroamhistory.about.com/od/ch...bio_drew_c.htm can we comple a list of names of those to be included in our studies? like sojourner truth,george washington carver, benjamin banneker http://afroamhistory.about.com/od/be...banneker_b.htm

for the record, there are SOOOOOO many problems with public schools...not just the exclusion history of the major cultures...there are highschool graduates who can't read...that seems pretty devastating to me!
lakesuperiormom is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 02:35 PM
 
purplegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: down by the river.....
Posts: 4,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
i've been reading and keeping up with the posts on this thread and it's really hit a place in me and i wanted to come and post some thoughts i am having. i think, when 'black history month' is celebrated in our society it bother's alot of us-not because we are acknowledging "black history," but because it feels like a "skin color" so-obvious-smack-in the-face-somewhat-racist celebration. it "feels" like we're "singling" out people "because" of their skin color-not learning about the ACTUAL history of "african american's." does that make sense at all to anyone besides me? it blatantly points out that something is seriously wrong with a society that "has" to have these months pegged to celebrate the various cultures and it's NOT intertwined within a chronological history of our world. so instead, of attacking on the issue......is there a way to "educate" those of us on how and whom to incorporate into our homeschool history lessons? for instance, i found this link on this man i had never heard or learned about before http://afroamhistory.about.com/od/ch...bio_drew_c.htm can we comple a list of names of those to be included in our studies? like sojourner truth,george washington carver, benjamin banneker http://afroamhistory.about.com/od/be...banneker_b.htm

for the record, there are SOOOOOO many problems with public schools...not just the exclusion history of the major cultures...there are highschool graduates who can't read...that seems pretty devastating to me!
Race and culture are inextricably intertwined. There is no way to "celebrate" black culture without discussing or recognizing race. Sorry, it's the history of this society and therefore it is. There would be no need to isolate a month to recognize the many contributions to blacks in america unless it were included, as a matter of fact, in history curriculum. Generally speaking, most of what children learn about, that includes black history is slavery. Sometimes the accomplishments of Ben Banneker, Mr. Carver and Ms. Tubman are included ,but the lesser known, albeit major contributors are excluded, i.e. Garrett Morgan.

To a large extent, black people are continuing carrying the shame associated with slavery. If it weren't for black history month, which I feel is limited in some ways, a lot black children wouldn't have much to hinge their self esteem on. The media and the educational system, sadly have a huge impact on a lot of black children. It's sad when I think about that.

I can't help but feel that some people think it's racist to single out a race to celebrate because there is a discomfort in having black people tout their accomplishments. I think some white people tend to be more comfortable when black people tow the line, and are seen but not heard.

afro.jpg
purplegirl is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned
 
Meg Murry.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Between here and there
Posts: 1,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
i'm sorry, but i have a very hard time believing this. you're saying that your kids school had a black history celebration which the white children were not allowed to participate in? really?
Wow. Way to promote feelings of unity as a nation of people.
Meg Murry. is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 03:07 PM
 
lakesuperiormom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: in a wealth of opinions
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am confused...isn't this thread on the learnng at home...homeschooling forum? so, shouldn't it pertain to homeschooling? not about arguing about the validity of black history month? and how and whom to incorporate into our homeschooling studies as opposed to bickering about race? slavery was a horrid scar on history for every race that had slaves from the beginning of times. black people are not the only ones who carry the shame of slavery....it's a horrid atrocity for white people to be the perpetrators of this in america.how do we teach our homeschooled children about this and where do we find resources on it? where do we find resources on african american's that have touched history? how can WE turn this thread into something positive instead of attacking one another? there is sooooooooo much negativity and it doesn't accomplish anything.
lakesuperiormom is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 03:19 PM
 
mamameg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wine Country, CA
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
i am confused...isn't this thread on the learnng at home...homeschooling forum? so, shouldn't it pertain to homeschooling? not about arguing about the validity of black history month?
The OP didn't phrase the question as pertaining to homeschooling, so it's not being answered in that manner.
mamameg is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 03:20 PM
 
purplegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: down by the river.....
Posts: 4,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
i am confused...isn't this thread on the learnng at home...homeschooling forum? so, shouldn't it pertain to homeschooling? not about arguing about the validity of black history month? and how and whom to incorporate into our homeschooling studies as opposed to bickering about race? slavery was a horrid scar on history for every race that had slaves from the beginning of times. black people are not the only ones who carry the shame of slavery....it's a horrid atrocity for white people to be the perpetrators of this in america.how do we teach our homeschooled children about this and where do we find resources on it? where do we find resources on african american's that have touched history? how can WE turn this thread into something positive instead of attacking one another? there is sooooooooo much negativity and it doesn't accomplish anything.
I was just responding to your statement! Furthermore, we live in the information age so whatever resources you need, they are easily accessible.

afro.jpg
purplegirl is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 03:33 PM
 
lakesuperiormom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: in a wealth of opinions
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you are missing my point...WHY does there have to be negativity thrown at the op for posting a valid question in regards to homeschool....every post i post here doesn't say homeschool in it to make it homeschool,but it is homeschooling related because...well we homeschool and generally that is why we post in this forum. i'm just sooooo very tired of the negativity and am trying to help turn this thread into something positive.


"I was just responding to your statement! Furthermore, we live in the information age so whatever resources you need, they are easily accessible"


yet, in this forum we CONSTANTLY share links and resources to help us on our homeschool journey and educate us. dar's link was really helpful and informational to me...i'm happy she shared it. i am asking for other mama's to kindly share their links....it's not always easily accesible when you are homeschooling your children to do research to find this info...we rely on other mama's helping us.
lakesuperiormom is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 PM
 
mamameg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wine Country, CA
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
you are missing my point...WHY does there have to be negativity thrown at the op for posting a valid question in regards to homeschool....every post i post here doesn't say homeschool in it to make it homeschool,but it is homeschooling related because...well we homeschool and generally that is why we post in this forum. i'm just sooooo very tired of the negativity and am trying to help turn this thread into something positive.
I understand your point, but I think what you see as negativity is people responding to a question that insinuates a whole lot more than it comes out and says. This happens every. single. year. with Black History. Undoubtedly, people start asking "what about white history?". So the response is really rooted in frustration with people not understanding or acknowledging that traditional American history *IS* white history and we have to supplement that history with in depth explorations of the contributions of non-whites.
mamameg is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 04:01 PM
 
lakesuperiormom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: in a wealth of opinions
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
I understand your point, but I think what you see as negativity is people responding to a question that insinuates a whole lot more than it comes out and says. This happens every. single. year. with Black History. Undoubtedly, people start asking "what about white history?". So the response is really rooted in frustration with people not understanding or acknowledging that traditional American history *IS* white history and we have to supplement that history with in depth explorations of the contributions of non-whites.
thank you for understanding! the negativity is there...and isn't there per removed posts. i am really sorry that ths comes up every year and that it has to a "battle!" so is there a way we can change the responses from frustration to education for us mamas? HOW do you supplement? what books or stories do you use? i REALLY want to know and i just may burst at the seams if someone doesn't help me! how can WE change and incorporate "the traditional american history?" how can we integrate ALL CULTURES into our history? i'm dead serous!
lakesuperiormom is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off